• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Reveals its Disc-less Xbox Series X Console

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
During the Xbox Games Showcase today, Microsoft revealed its upcoming disc-less Xbox Series X console, alongside an upgraded Xbox Series X with 2 TB of storage and a white XBox Series S with 1 TB of storage. The disc-less SKU will be known as the Xbox Series X 1 TB Digital Edition and it will at least initially, only be available in what Microsoft calls Robot White. As the name implies, it will sport 1 TB of storage and Microsoft says it's the "perfect option for digital-first players to experience the speed and performance of Xbox Series X".

The new 2 TB SKU will be known as the Xbox Series X - 2 TB Galaxy Black Special Edition and as you can see on the pictures below, it has a rather interesting pattern made up of grey and green sparkling plastic moulded into the black. The Xbox Series S - 1 TB in Robot White is simply getting half a terabyte of extra storage over the current model and it means that the white and black Series S consoles will have storage parity. However, the press release suggests that the black model might be discontinued in favour of the white model. The Xbox Series X - 1 TB Digital Edition will retail for $449.99/€499.99, with the Xbox Series X - 2 TB Galaxy Black Special Edition coming in at $599.99/€649.99 and finally the Xbox Series S - 1 TB in Robot White will cost $349.99/€349.99. All three models will be available later this year.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3D
Motherboard ASUS B550 Plus
Cooling Cooler Master 240mm AIO
Memory 32GB (4x8gb) G.Skill DDR4 3600MHZ
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3080 ti 12GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME, 500gb ADATA NVME, 4 TB Western Digital HHD
Display(s) Benq 27” 1440p 144hz
Case INWIN 101 White with 6 120mm RGB fans.
Power Supply EVGA 850 Watt Gold Modular
Mouse Logitech MX Mechanical Mini
Keyboard Logitech MX Vertical
Software Windows 11
They are out of their minds. The minimum they should be offering is the same price points with more storage and a diskless series x at $400.

1tb series S at $300
1tb diskless series x $400
2tb series x at $500

Even then it’s not going to sell and probably needs to be $50 cheaper than what I posted across the board.

This is ridiculous.

Phayzon

I don't really see the point of a disc-less Series X, especially if the exterior dimensions don't even change.

What I'd like to see is a Series S with a disc drive. Xbox loves to tout it's solid backwards compatibility around, why not let people buy a cheap, small box that lets them play a good chunk of their 360 discs? And, ya know, movies.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Looks like you are renting your games from now on.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I don't really see the point of a disc-less Series X, especially if the exterior dimensions don't even change.
condition more people to buying digital rentals and streaming services, with no safety blanket of "well once the servers are gone I can still play games".

Repeat after me: "You will own nothing...."
What I'd like to see is a Series S with a disc drive. Xbox loves to tout it's solid backwards compatibility around, why not let people buy a cheap, small box that lets them play a good chunk of their 360 discs? And, ya know, movies.
Microsoft doesnt actually care about backwards compatibility. Why would they sell you a cheap box that can play movies and 360 games when they can sell you a $600 console with no exclusives that you have to rent games on via gamepass and pay to stream your movies on top of it? Poor little MS needs more of your MoNeY!

They are out of their minds. The minimum they should be offering is the same price points with more storage and a diskless series x at $400.

1tb series S at $300
2tb series x at $500

Even then it’s not going to sell and probably needs to be $50 cheaper than what I posted across the board.

This is ridiculous.
They're desperate to prop up Xbox profits since gamepass growth has flatlined.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) ASUS DirectCU II R9 290 4GB
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
This pricing sucks so hard. Going up to 2TB should not negate a $100 increase in price especially 3 years after the initial launch and hardware is exactly the same.

This could have been so simple

Xbox Series S 1TB - $299
Xbox Series X 1TB (OG Model) - $399
Xbox Series X 2TB (New Model) - $499

Making a disc less Xbox Series X seems pointless. They literally made a OG Xbox Series X removed the disc drive and dropped price $50 (Woo hoo).

Their new pricing literally puts the Xbox Series X Digital $50 above the PlayStation 5 Digital which seems so ridiculous.

News Article: This new Xbox can no longer play games on physical media, thanks to Disc-less over here.
Forums: Is this true???
Also Forums:

xbox.jpg

Looks like they already know what Sony's doing with PS5 Pro because that SeX Discless is built to be put on sale. They've been sliding the current SeX down to $399 on the regular and I expect they want the Discless taking that role from now on. They must know Sony's going heavier on the SSD with their Pro unit, so Microsoft has already primed the pump by telling people (like DF) that the SeX is their version of what a Pro would have been except they did it years ago. They're going to be marketing that the PS5 Pro is Sony only just now catching up to what they did way back then, so they don't need more hardware. Just more capacity.

The bummer is the lack of the new controller. According to the leaks from the Activision-Blizzard lawsuit, we were supposed to get an updated controller with PS5 features that would have trickled down to PC and finally we'd have had those features built-in to games besides Sony published ones.

But alas it seems like it's not meant to be. Microsoft has abandoned us to inferior controller hell for a whole generation. Imagine a world where them buying Activision-Blizzard wasn't horrible in every possible way.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X h2o
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop, Arctic & Corsair fans
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF h2o
Storage ~3TB SSDs + 6TB external HDDs
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 + Lenovo 32" 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Totally agree. That would be a perfect console for us 1080p TV owners.

1tb series S at $300
2tb series x at $500

This is ridiculous.
I can literally buy Series X 1TB with disc drive for the same amount they plan on asking for console without disc drive. What a great deal, Microsoft.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
People bitchin' like they want it to have VHS and Beta too.

Got news for you: you can't take all that media with you to the grave and your kids don't want it.

Does anyone remember the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray war? Is was so obvious that removeable physical media was on the verge of extinction even then but so many couldn’t let go of those spinning scratch magnets.

System Name SOCIETY
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 64GB 6000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090
Storage WD SN850X 4TB, Micron 1100 2TB, ZFS NAS over 10gbe network
Display(s) 27" Dell S2721DGF, 24" ASUS IPS, 24" Dell IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply Cooler Master 1200W Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard ROG Falchion
VR HMD Pimax 8KX
Software Windows 10 with Debian VM

Got news for you: you can't take all that media with you to the grave and your kids don't want it.
Besides the point. The people advocating for discs would be just as happy with any other physical media type. You could argue for game cartridges like Nintendo does if you're upset about discs.
I assume discs are still cheaper so that's what is used.
The point is to have something physical that allows you to continue to play your games long after the cloud servers get shut down, or in areas with poor internet such that buying and transporting physical media is a faster transfer rate than their internet, as to this day using a carrier pigeon to move data around remains faster than rural internet.

System Name Shadow Warrior
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB White
Memory 64GB 6000Mhz cl30
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT
Storage 12TB NVME + 16TB SSD + 2x12TB 5400rpm
Display(s) HP X34 Ultrawide 165hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7 (modded)
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX AE-5+ / Topping DX5 Lite (Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 closed)
Power Supply Corsair hx1000i
Mouse Roccat Kain 120 aimo / Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Cherry Stream 3.0 SX-switches
VR HMD Quest 1, Pico 4 128GB
Software Win11 x64
Besides the point. The people advocating for discs would be just as happy with any other physical media type. You could argue for game cartridges like Nintendo does if you're upset about discs.
I assume discs are still cheaper so that's what is used.
The point is to have something physical that allows you to continue to play your games long after the cloud servers get shut down, or in areas with poor internet such that buying and transporting physical media is a faster transfer rate than their internet, as to this day using a carrier pigeon to move data around remains faster than rural internet.
And if you get tired of the game you can sell it. Once all the DLC tracks for Mario Kart were released I had played the game more than enough..

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I suspect the pricing is introductory in nature. In a few months, the holiday price drops will come and they'll stay down after that. Game consoles are consumer products, which always launch at an MSRP that takes advantage of impulse buyers. Plus, they might want to clear out the old stock of the last SKU, so I say just give it some time.

Looks like they already know what Sony's doing with PS5 Pro because that SeX Discless is built to be put on sale. They've been sliding the current SeX down to $399 on the regular and I expect they want the Discless taking that role from now on. They must know Sony's going heavier on the SSD with their Pro unit, so Microsoft has already primed the pump by telling people (like DF) that the SeX is their version of what a Pro would have been except they did it years ago. They're going to be marketing that the PS5 Pro is Sony only just now catching up to what they did way back then, so they don't need more hardware. Just more capacity.

Sony launched an "external" drive accessory that can be used to upgrade the PS5 slim digital to disc version, it was more limited than we'd like but it exists and it works. I would wager they'll make the Pro console compatible with this external accessory or release a new one to accompany the new console version.

I don't buy MS playing the Series X as the PS5 Pro killer, no one is going to buy into that when PS5 exclusives have been much more interesting and impressive when it comes to hardware utilization.

And if you get tired of the game you can sell it. Once all the DLC tracks for Mario Kart were released I had played the game more than enough..

That's the greatest advantage of physical media and one of 2 things they want to kill. The second is using retaillers to sell disc versions having to share some money with them and contend with their sales cycle. They want to bring everything in house, akin to the PC where you only buy games for a couple of digital storefronts, difference being it will be only one place with consoles

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yeah, suckers who buy in to this BS.
Well consoles weren't very far from non-ownership anyway, let's face it. You're one firmware update away from being unable to access your shit. Always. And there is no market dynamic that keeps companies in check here - there is one owner of your system: Sony, or MS. They are judge jury and executioner, your gaming soul is theirs and theirs alone. It doesn't even matter how much you choose to spend.

This is why I play on the PC. And more reasons will appear in the near future, such as, for example, the real price of on-demand services.

Netflix just elevated my sub from 19,99 > 23,99 / month (+20%!!!)
Its going to get cancelled as soon as we've finished watching Trailer Park Boys :) GTFO with that shit. They started at 7,99 go figure. That's some inflation.

Its a writing on the wall for gaming on demand. Be careful what you dive into and get used to. Ownership is and will always be the best and cheapest and most reliable way to play games, unless you're happy playing something you possibly can't get back into tomorrow. Who needs Saved Games, right? Who are those fools that play a game and get back to it a year later, right? Yeah. Mhm.

The real deal is still on PC:
- You can mod
- You can cheat
- You can work around monetization
- Online is free
- The market has checks and balances & real competition
- Its raining free games & content
- It has the sharpest price cuts in games
- Content isn't vetted by one company, there are no barriers you can't cross
- ... which means innovation always happens on the PC, never on consoles.

And the more you game, the more all of these advantages play out.

But we ain't dead yet are we

Looks like you are renting your games from now on.
Last I recalled, consumers are capable of voting with wallets :)

Its stuff like this that makes for a nice catalyst for continued PC gaming market growth. As it has done ever since it was invented I might add. There is nothing to worry about. Ownership is here to stay, even if corporate dreams of another world. Reality simply is what it is, as long as the PC exists, it will show its advantages and they will only weigh heavier for people as the net closes around owning content. We already have the first 'Stop killing games' initiatives.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you give away ownership, you give away power. The new gen of gamers is coming to terms with that now. Markets are all about demand, and people always want what they don't have yet, or anymore.

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Netflix just elevated my sub from 19,99 > 23,99 / month.
Its going to get cancelled as soon as we've finished watching Trailer Park Boys :) GTFO with that shit. They started at 7,99 go figure. That's some inflation.
That’s pretty much been true of all the subs. It had the early look of being cheaper than the cableTV model, but once you add up all the subs you need, you’re probably paying more and probably still getting served up ads.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That’s pretty much been true of all the subs. It had the early look of being cheaper than the cableTV model, but once you add up all the subs you need, you’re probably paying more and probably still getting served up ads.
Yeah well Netflix is now officially more expensive than just cable was on its own. Its insane if you juggle several services you're going to be near $100,- a month for some shitty low-quality TV content. Because I can't really say Netflix's content is improving over time. The vast majority of 'Originals' are showing unremarkable 'formats' I've already seen a few dozen times in the past years, and the rest? Sometimes the content in series' episodes is nearing the bullshit level of linear TV by now.

Yeah well Netflix is now officially more expensive than just cable was on its own. Its insane if you juggle several services you're going to be near $100,- a month for some shitty low-quality TV content. Because I can't really say Netflix's content is improving over time. The vast majority of 'Originals' are showing unremarkable 'formats' I've already seen a few dozen times in the past years, and the rest? Sometimes the content in series' episodes is nearing the bullshit level of linear TV by now.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757

1718047625412.png
1718047533410.png

"Don't drink the water. They put something in it to make you forget. I don't even remember how I got here"

1718047701852.png

Yes, I be salty. :laugh:

Evrsr

The preservation aspect on Xbox is pretty bad, without disc drive it is much worse. Sure, some games are still available but Xbox stuff that now will have enough horsepower to run will never be whitelisted on the emulators. Some of them are pretty good games too and this is probably very little effort to give back to fans of the platform.

Many have been delisted, some like Dust or Soulcalibur 1 & 2 are no longer available. Dust is one of the crazy ones, as it was a XBLA sponsored game that sold over 1 million copies. It has now been ported to PS4 and Switch(!) but is not available on Xbox anymore.

If you care about money, you will probably also shell out $50 more because there is a lot to be saved going with used discs. Especially XBOne games, which seem to be plenty to go around.