• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Reveals its Disc-less Xbox Series X Console

bad1080

Netflix just elevated my sub from 19,99 > 23,99 / month (+20%!!!)
Its going to get cancelled as soon as we've finished watching Trailer Park Boys :) GTFO with that shit. They started at 7,99 go figure. That's some inflation.
a VPN is 5 bucks a month, just saying

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I wouldn't mind diskless if it had better specs (mid cycle refresh) or was cheaper at least. But this is just shrinkflation.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
It's completely ridiculous how out of hand subscriptions have gotten. Disc less essentially forces you more towards Game Pass. Everything is subscription now, and you own nothing. You pay 100% interest on so much stuff, and thus have 0% equity. ~ 75-90% of the so-called content you're paying for you don't use. What makes consoles even worse is the pay to play multiplayer. How does this still exist???

I love the price point of consoles when looking at the initial cost, but when you then add the cost over time it becomes crazy. $500 console plus $203 every year. If you want to buy a game since that's still somewhat of an option depending on your upfront investment of $100 for a disc reader, you then just add those costs on top.

Move on to the whole situation with Gamepass... In practical terms it should be illegal and anti-competitive. Anyone unable to see this is just drinking the kool aid. The consumer is literally getting forced into a subscription model because Microsoft is buying up 60% of the domestic game developers and publishers and pushing you towards their subscription model to access multiplayer. There is absolutely nothing stopping them at this point from buying EA or Valve. It's beyond ridiculous, and the FCC is completely incompetent. The only good thing they have done in 4 years is put net neutrality back in place.

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
It's completely ridiculous how out of hand subscriptions have gotten. Disc less essentially forces you more towards Game Pass. Everything is subscription now, and you own nothing. You pay 100% interest on so much stuff, and thus have 0% equity. ~ 75% of the so-called content you're paying for you don't use. What makes consoles even worse is the pay to play multiplayer. How does this still exist???
For the same reason people rent movies and music. It's not worth owning due to interests shifting like the sand. Some of that is on the community for moving on so quickly, but it's also on the game studios for paywalling so many things that get killed off when interest wanes, or making replay value so low. Look at any sports game with DLC. You probably can't buy last year's sports game and then go purchase any DLC. They'll instead point you to the newest version of the game. They've essentially made subscriptions the way to go, since owning the game isn't what it used to be. I don't care for it, and I hate subscriptions. The price only goes up, and had you just bought games with that money instead, you at least have something to do when your money runs out. Not to mention subscriptions are notorious for changing the TOS--like adding advertisements when there once weren't any. I wonder when games will start with "a few short ads" before loading.