• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gears of War: E-Day To Feature Ray Traced Lighting, Reflections, and Shadows

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
Few days ago at the Xbox Games Showcase, Microsoft has pulled a rather neat surprise, announcing Gears of War: E-Day, which will be developed by The Coalition in Unreal Engine 5. Microsoft did not go into a lot of details, reveling just a few story details about this prequel to the first Gears of War and releasing the official announce trailer. Thankfully, Microsoft and the developer now shared a bit more story and technical details, also confirming that the game will support ray traced lighting, reflections, and shadows.

In an extensive blog over at the Xbox Wire, Microsoft and The Coalition talk about the story behind the Gears of War: E-Day, which will follow younger versions of the original heroes, Marcus Fenix and Dom Santiago, going back to where it all started with the fight against the Locust invasion. The Creative Director Matt Searcy and Brand Director Nicole Fawcette were keen to note that the developer is working hard to recreate and improve the third-person action, storytelling, and all other things we expect from Gears of War game.

"It's going to feel like a new Gears game, because that's what it is," Searcy says. "It's us revisiting the tone and the feeling of what makes Gears great, but we're tapping into new techniques, new processes, and new technology that's going to make the gameplay feel better than ever. It's going to be awesome, a game that feels both truly new, and authentically Gears."

In addition, Kate Rayner, Studio Technical Director at The Coalition, revealed a bit more details about the technical side of the game and the advancements that Unreal Engine 5 will bring to the game. According to the Rayner, the game will include over 100 times more environment and character details, compared to the Gears 5. He also confirmed that the game will feature hardware raytraced lighting, reflections, and shadows, as well as "next-generation destruction and gore, and cutting-edge animation technology". As it is based on Unreal Engine 5, the game is expected to use Lumen as well as Nanite, key technologies from UA5 engine. In addition, the developer was keen to note that the game's trailer was an in-engine trailer, and it looks pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, we still do not have a precise date of launch but hopefully, Microsoft and The Coalition will share more details soon.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Their promotion of ray tracing is interesting. I talked to a friend who's a AAA engine developer yesterday about it and we think possibly some wires got crossed and the game probably doesn't use ray-traced shadows on consoles. UE5 has Virtual Shadow Maps that are nearly as good as RT shadows but faster on AMD hardware, and we can't imagine a scenario where a developer would choose to use ray-traced shadows on consoles over VSMs. They might be doing it anyway, but it would be very weird.

Hardware ray-traced lighting and reflections likely refers to Hardware Lumen, which no other console game has used yet to my knowledge. Every UE5 release so far has stuck to Software Lumen exclusively on consoles, and most don't even give you the option to do HW Lumen on PC. Epic has been trying to optimize HW Lumen for use on consoles and maybe with Gears E-Day they'll finally get there. (HW Lumen is similar to normal SW Lumen but with more samples per pixel, better reflections, and of course, HW accelerated)

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Gears 5 has RTGI and I think RT cascaded shadows? Not sure whether hardware acceleration was used though.

Gears of Wars games have always been kind of a showcase of Unreal Engine - not the cutting edge of things but the reasonably new stuff that can viably be used in an AAA title. Outside console marketing push this is mostly related to the new game using state of the art UE5.

Gears 5 has RTGI and I think RT cascaded shadows? Not sure whether hardware acceleration was used though.

Gears of Wars games have always been kind of a showcase of Unreal Engine - not the cutting edge of things but the reasonably new stuff that can viably be used in an AAA title. Outside console marketing push this is mostly related to the new game using state of the art UE5.
Gears 5 on PC had software-traced SSGI and shadows. They'll need to do another approach for E-Day most likely, and UE5 provides options out of the box for this. The Coalition has a close relationship with Epic and they're likely working hand-in-hand to get Hardware Lumen shippable in the game at 30fps. They'd be the first on consoles to do so.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650M Pro RS
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Storage Samsung 990 Pro
Display(s) LG C2 42" 4K OLED, TCL 43" 4K VA
Case Cooler Master MasterBox NR400
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2018)
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Tecware Phantom RGB (105-key)
Software Windows 11
"Gears of War: E-Day To Feature Ray Traced Lighting, Reflections, and Shadows"

Ah, so 30 FPS, then. That's a shame.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
The only other UE5 demo they developed the matrix awakens supported RT I'm confused as to why this is a headline and that was back in 2021.

I'm glad they are going back to E day even though I enjoyed Gears 4/5 the story was going a bit off the rails still impressive what they did on basically only slightly better than a radeon HD 7770 equipped Xbox one just significantly more vram.

"Gears of War: E-Day To Feature Ray Traced Lighting, Reflections, and Shadows"

Ah, so 30 FPS, then. That's a shame.

Who cares what it runs like on consoles a 5070 will likely be 2x faster than the series X when this releases.

With whatever the top end chip being 3x to 4x a series X or more.

Their PC ports have been pretty good other than them not liking Pascal cards due to how they handle Async compute.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / Ryzen 5600X3D
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i / bequiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / lots
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF & S3222DGM 32"
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Will it feature good gameplay though?
That's kind of a deal breaker.
Kind of shallow, aren't you? If you're not going to stand around in a FPS/TPS game and admire yourself in the reflection of a window or puddle on the ground then I think you're missing the whole idea of what makes ray tracing so freaking awesome!

Kidding.

I don't care how many fancy traceable rays they give in a game, if the game sucks then it's just wasted time, resources and energy. Also, I don't spend my time trying to stare at my reflection in a game and I'm not trying to tail a suspect like you see in the movies as the protagonist uses the reflections off a window to see which way the bad guy goes. In these games I'm moving fast, ducking for cover, shooting and not:

Honestly, I feel the whole ray tracing thing is just a waste.

Kind of shallow, aren't you? If you're not going to stand around in a FPS/TPS game and admire yourself in the reflection of a window or puddle on the ground then I think you're missing the whole idea of what makes ray tracing so freaking awesome!

Kidding.

I don't care how many fancy traceable rays they give in a game, if the game sucks then it's just wasted time, resources and energy. Also, I don't spend my time trying to stare at my reflection in a game and I'm not trying to tail a suspect like you see in the movies as the protagonist uses the reflections off a window to see which way the bad guy goes. In these games I'm moving fast, ducking for cover, shooting and not:

Honestly, I feel the whole ray tracing thing is just a waste.
Graphics and tech sell games, especially for a franchise like Gears. That's always how it's been and it's also why AAA games take 5+ years to make now.

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750RBT
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Stop the presses, a AAA game will have RT in 2025...

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
Will it feature good gameplay though?
That's kind of a deal breaker.
Shhh, we dont care about stupid gameplay, only in ways to spread the wishes of Dear Leader Jensen hype machine.
I'm confused as to why this is a headline
Simple, Ngreedia marketing team has taken over the tech world.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Stop the presses, a AAA game will have RT in 2025...

Yeah if it was Pathtracing on UE5 in a shipping game maybe but almost all big releases have some form of RT.

It could be the first game with hardware lumen on console at least in inengine cutscenes they all ready did that in the Matrix Demo even gears 5 the cinematics ran at 30fps at much higher fidelity on console.

Mayne they'll do a split 60/30 again but given how weak consoles are at this point who knows.

System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
Honestly i rather see them port Gear of wars 2 and 3 for the PC.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
although i wanted gears of war 6, i wanted that chapter to end... but i guess more coletrain is a good thing :)

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
UE5 doesn't need stupid ray trace crap. Their VSM (Virtual Shadow Maps) are almost the same quality without the huge performance hit. Hopefully they will have that in the game, so I can disable those.
Just look at Hellblade 2. Their use of VSMs were almost perfect. I saw Ray traced reflections and shadow way worst that what was on that game.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
colour me severely unimpressed, and hell that song again? that just solidifies this looking as some E3 trailer for the xbox 360....

RayTracing is great and games using it will increase as time goes on. those Raster Purist aren't happy and they will be less happy in the future as their outdated hardware can't support it.

UE5 doesn't need stupid ray trace crap. Their VSM (Virtual Shadow Maps) are almost the same quality without the huge performance hit. Hopefully they will have that in the game, so I can disable those.
Just look at Hellblade 2. Their use of VSMs were almost perfect. I saw Ray traced reflections and shadow way worst that what was on that game.
VSMs are just shadows. The lighting and reflections in Hellblade 2 are handled by Lumen, which uses software ray tracing by default. If this game is using hardware-accelerated ray tracing, that probably means they're using Lumen still, the same solution as Hellblade 2, but in its hardware accelerated mode which will produce more accurate and detailed results.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
VSMs are just shadows. The lighting and reflections in Hellblade 2 are handled by Lumen, which uses software ray tracing by default. If this game is using hardware-accelerated ray tracing, that probably means they're using Lumen still, the same solution as Hellblade 2, but in its hardware accelerated mode which will produce more accurate and detailed results.
That's correct. But the funny thing is, Lumen is way less taxing on FPS than the RT in hardware for some reason. Maybe their implementation is very optimized for the engine?

That's correct. But the funny thing is, Lumen is way less taxing on FPS than the RT in hardware for some reason. Maybe their implementation is very optimized for the engine?
The software Lumen path uses very few samples per pixel (less than 1? I don't remember) with a radiance cache to keep light bounce information across multiple frames, and it traces against signed distance fields. It's essentially a much more advanced form of ray marching, which already works alright without HW-accelerated RT. HW Lumen uses more rays per pixel and traces against a bounding volume hierarchy. It's the BVH that really bogs things down I think, especially on AMD hardware since that lacks any kind of BVH acceleration (but apparently that's changing starting with RDNA 3.5). But it provides better GI and far superior reflections.