• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Details on Qualcomm's Adreno X1 GPU Architecture Emerge

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
Qualcomm has provided new details about the Adreno X1 GPU integrated into their latest series of processors, Snapdragon X Elite/Plus. The Adreno X1 is the first custom-designed GPU from Qualcomm for Windows on ARM systems. The highest configuration of this GPU, known as the "X1-85," features "8" indicating the GPU level and "5" denoting the SKU.

The Adreno X1 boasts up to 6 shaders, 1536 FP32 ALUs, and can handle 96 texels per cycle. It delivers up to 4.6 TFLOPS of peak performance and processes 72 million pixels per second. It supports major graphics APIs, including DirectX 12.1 (Shader Model 6.7), DirectX 11, Vulkan 1.3, and OpenCL 3.0.

Qualcomm compared the Adreno X1-85 to Intel's Core Ultra 7 155H mobile processor with 8 Xe cores, claiming that the Adreno X1-85 matches or exceeds Intel GPU performance in many games at 1080p resolution. However, Qualcomm did not provide specific details about the game settings or test platform.

Additionally, Qualcomm introduced the "Adreno Control Panel," an app for game optimization and driver updates, which Qualcomm promises to update at least once a month.

Qualcomm Snapdragon X laptops will be available from June 18, however, they can already be preordered.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW | Sapphire PULSE RX 590
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
would be nice for discrete cards maybe one day like the days of old. Many options for the same goal.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
4.6 TFlops despite being a 50% wider GPU than the one in the Core Ultra 155H indicates relatively low clocks speeds: around 1.5 GHz at best. They are surprisingly light on GPRs which would impact performance in register-limited scenarios. Intel also has a relatively large L2 feeding fewer shading units so I'm rather skeptical of Qualcomm's numbers. In their graph, the gap between the Radeon 780M and Meteor Lake is far greater than in reality.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
4.6 TFlops despite being a 50% wider GPU than the one in the Core Ultra 155H indicates relatively low clocks speeds: around 1.5 GHz at best. They are surprisingly light on GPRs which would impact performance in register-limited scenarios. Intel also has a relatively large L2 feeding fewer shading units so I'm rather skeptical of Qualcomm's numbers. In their graph, the gap between the Radeon 780M and Meteor Lake is far greater than in reality.
Keep in mind that the Snapdragon X Elite has a 8 x 16-bit memory interface with LPDDR5x-8448 that can deliver 135GB/sec. This might be how they're able to deliver better GPU performance, as the GPU won't be as bandwidth starved.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Keep in mind that the Snapdragon X Elite has a 8 x 16-bit memory interface with LPDDR5x-8448 that can deliver 135GB/sec. This might be how they're able to deliver better GPU performance, as the GPU won't be as bandwidth starved.
Meteor Lake also supports LPDDR5X at speeds of up to 7467 MT/s. We'll see when reviewers get their hands on these systems. Even according to Qualcomm's own slides, in quite a few of the tested games, the two have equivalent performance with Horizon Zero Dawn and Rocket League being notable outliers.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Meteor Lake also supports LPDDR5X at speeds of up to 7467 MT/s. We'll see when reviewers get their hands on these systems. Even according to Qualcomm's own slides, in quite a few of the tested games, the two have equivalent performance with Horizon Zero Dawn and Rocket League being notable outliers.
Another issue is likely to be x86 emulation, if you have a look at the bottom of this page.
It's not clear if the games tested are running in emulation mode or not, but I presume most are.

Also, I can't find a single review that lists the memory specs of the Acer Swift Go 14 that was used for the testing.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Case Fractal Design R5
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Another issue is likely to be x86 emulation, if you have a look at the bottom of this page.
It's not clear if the games tested are running in emulation mode or not, but I presume most are.
That is a very good point. However, in a power constrained laptop, the overhead of CPU emulation is unlikely to shift the bottleneck from the GPU. Still, it would be best if we had ARM native games in the benchmark suite.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
would be nice for discrete cards maybe one day like the days of old. Many options for the same goal.
IIRC, that one Chinese company trying to break into GPUs
based their uArch off mobile PowerVR/S3 (common in early smart phones and ARM-mobile, IIRC)
I *really* miss PowerVR, in particular.

As an aside,
The irony might be palpable. Adreno, long-ago had relation to ATI Radeon.
Hence, the anagram R A D E O N <-> A D R E N O

And Snapdragon Elite will end up facing Lunar-Lake and Strix/Kraken anyway. The GPU lacks full support for DX12U features. Based on initial observations, it seems unlikely to be competitive with x86 alternatives. However, upcoming reviews may provide a different perspective.

SpecsSET.png

Adreno X1 GPU Architecture: A More Familiar Face - The Qualcomm Snapdragon X Architecture Deep Dive: Getting To Know Oryon and Adreno X1 (anandtech.com)

I'm not really worried about the performance of this gpu, as long as it runs a desktop environment it's fine. It would be nice if it could come close to AMD apu offerings but like it, it's not supposed to be a 3d gaming powerhouse just like AMD and Intel versions aren't.

What I'm interested in is the entire real picture, they've been doing a slow drip of information for months with fluff pieces everywhere but no one has been able to verify anything independently. It's all "uhh seems great, very fast, much battery and cool" but no real performance comparisons, only claims from Qualcomm. GPU raw power is the least important part of that, the chip supports USB4 and has 8x pcie lanes available for a discrete gpu if that's your thing.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not really worried about the performance of this gpu, as long as it runs a desktop environment it's fine. It would be nice if it could come close to AMD apu offerings but like it, it's not supposed to be a 3d gaming powerhouse just like AMD and Intel versions aren't.

What I'm interested in is the entire real picture, they've been doing a slow drip of information for months with fluff pieces everywhere but no one has been able to verify anything independently. It's all "uhh seems great, very fast, much battery and cool" but no real performance comparisons, only claims from Qualcomm. GPU raw power is the least important part of that, the chip supports USB4 and has 8x pcie lanes available for a discrete gpu if that's your thing.
Supposedly reviews will be out next week.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

Yeah the lack of verification is concerning to me too. They are pricing these in a more premium market, and they continually make vague claims of faster that seem very cherry picked. Like the X is faster than the M3 in multithread. Okay, the X has more cores than the base M3, but not the M3 Pro and Max. Even then, that comparison is short-lived since M4 Macs are just around the corner. I think they really pressed to launch this now, as in a few months it’s going to look a lot less impressive with new products from QC’s peers launching shortly.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Witcher uses temporal postproces anti aliasing not Uber,supersampling. Uses hair physics, lots off shadows, lighting, vegetation range.

Yeah the lack of verification is concerning to me too. They are pricing these in a more premium market, and they continually make vague claims of faster that seem very cherry picked. Like the X is faster than the M3 in multithread. Okay, the X has more cores than the base M3, but not the M3 Pro and Max. Even then, that comparison is short-lived since M4 Macs are just around the corner. I think they really pressed to launch this now, as in a few months it’s going to look a lot less impressive with new products from QC’s peers launching shortly.

They've enjoyed an exclusivity deal with microsoft for at least 5 years (original surface pro x launch, but probably more, a tomshardware articles says 2016) and have done basically nothing with it. Neither did Microsoft to be fair, the biggest hurdle was always going to be all the x86 legacy and that's on them, but this deal just forced innovation into a standstill. Google is doing cool stuff with chromebooks and is able to use cheaper offerings from mediatek and whoever - no they're not fast, but they dominated the education market with fast enough cheap devices - while Microsoft was sleeping at wheel.

Now the deal is set to expire (allegedly at the end of this year) they come out swinging with this big thing, at least it's not priced out of this world like the rebadged SQ chips and Surface Pro X always were, but it's still going for quite a high price bracket without anything to back their claims of improvement. Sure a 1200€ snapdragon elite laptop will be fast and cool, so would a ryzen 8945hs or 8845hs laptop if anyone bothered to put one in something other than a gaming brick

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
This seems slow and slightly outdated. Plus I can almost guarantee that Vulkan driver will SUCK ARSE.

But if it at least is efficient, I could let it pass.

Supposedly reviews will be out next week.
Well a batch of rpeliminary reviews are looking bad for X elite, slower than the iPhone 12 mini! Clocks were lower than they could, but still battery likfe was not great even wioth the low clocks. Looks like Qualcomm has been over-hyping the SoC much like AMD and RDNA3.

I have no doubt Strix Point 9945HS will destroy this in all metrics including iGPU.

It looks like it could be a firmware problem, though.

"Before you grab your pitchfork and join the mob, there are multiple possible reasons for this disappointing performance. The most obvious is a hardware fluke. The CPU never boosted above 2.52 GHz in the Reddit tests. This is an obvious concern as the Elite X advertises boost clocks up to 4.0 GHz. The above X thread alleges that the Galaxy Book4 Edge physically limited the CPU speeds to keep cooling and battery performance maintainable, but this doesn't line up with other GeekBench scores for the Samsung laptop arriving today with some of the faster scores in the Copilot+ lineup."

But my torches are always lit /s

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Well a batch of rpeliminary reviews are looking bad for X elite, slower than the iPhone 12 mini! Clocks were lower than they could, but still battery likfe was not great even wioth the low clocks. Looks like Qualcomm has been over-hyping the SoC much like AMD and RDNA3.

I have no doubt Strix Point 9945HS will destroy this in all metrics including iGPU.
Yeah, I guess we'll wait for actual delivery day, but it's been a bit fishy from QC since they first started talking up this SOC. If the performance issues are true, and battery life isn't revolutionary, then what really is the value of these over anything x86 that you can confidently know will run all your stuff? MS is backpedaling a bit on Recall (a "first" feature on these QC devices), and if the performance on these is bad, then it's about the worst launch since, well, MS's first attempt at WOA with Surface RT. Lots of hype and effort for something no one will want at the price they are asking.

It looks like it could be a firmware problem, though.

"Before you grab your pitchfork and join the mob, there are multiple possible reasons for this disappointing performance. The most obvious is a hardware fluke. The CPU never boosted above 2.52 GHz in the Reddit tests. This is an obvious concern as the Elite X advertises boost clocks up to 4.0 GHz. The above X thread alleges that the Galaxy Book4 Edge physically limited the CPU speeds to keep cooling and battery performance maintainable, but this doesn't line up with other GeekBench scores for the Samsung laptop arriving today with some of the faster scores in the Copilot+ lineup."

But my torches are always lit /s
It would have to be something serious, or there might be legit fraud here. However, a FW issue isn't all that promising either, as it's not a good look to have serious performance bugs leading up to launch. When Apple went to Arm, they hit M1 out of the park. It was no-nonsense ready for business, with really good emulation and insane battery life advances, from day one. I would hope this wouldn't be a half-baked rollout with as much promoting as was going on. Unfortunately, half-baked is how a lot tech things get launched anymore.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Smartphone GPU maker says their smartphone GPU is faster than real GPUs, news at 11.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Sure a 1200€ snapdragon elite laptop will be fast and cool, so would a ryzen 8945hs or 8845hs laptop if anyone bothered to put one in something other than a gaming brick
This sums up my frustrations perfectly....we should have tons of products using these AMD APUs....ALONE without a dGPU, but there are not that many.

Also...what's with that graph? Why is it showing the 780m to be the worst while in reality it is faster than the Intel iGPU in actual games?

And as usual it will only be put to use in a couple of gaming laptops :(
We'll see, I am seeing plenty of makers readying their AMD based laptops. Already plenty of Hawk Point based laptops available, and they're not all gaming.

System Name Trackstar
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D -30 All Core CO (on Corsair XC5 block)
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2 Rev 1.0 (F17 BIOS)
Cooling Corsair XD5 pump / Corsair XR5 1x 360mm (front) + 1x 420mm (top) rads
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GVKA)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6950XT OC Formula (on Bykski A-AR6900XTOCF-X block)
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB w/HS
Display(s) Dell S3222DGM 32" 1440p/165Hz FreeSync
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200 Integrated Audio
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1200W on Liebert GXT4-1500RT120 UPS
Mouse Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1131940 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29315810
It looks like some initial real world benchmarks are being released for the chips and there are some serious boost issues on certain laptops. Some of Samsung's units aren't letting the chip boost past 2.53GHz even plugged in. Seems like firmware/BIOS headaches are incoming

EDIT: It looks like some units are able to hit advertised clocks and are performing pretty close to Qualcomm's advertised scores

Last edited: