• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Unveils SFF-Ready Prime Series GeForce RTX 40-series Graphics Cards

1718617696734.png

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
LOL, plenty of shit posts from people who think SFF are meant for fun but not really being useful as a gaming PC

Who wouldn't like a no compromise SFF like this
Why compromise? I am 256% sure, that if he'd get e.g. $100 Lancool 216, it not only would not impact the case footprint, but would significantly improve the performance.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against SFF as a whole. And I'm not against this guy (Optimum) in particular, as he has many good ideas and endeavors. But here he did the same moot point, as many famous "techtubers" (and many SFF folks, who like to shw off their rig on reddit or PCPartpicker). They all have portay issue- they show giant desks, so big, that they can accommodate server chassis, and the 48@ inch monitor/TV with ease. And then put a tiny box, tha barely take any space.

So what's point? Where are the space constrains? The problem is, people want SFF not due to these issues, but for the "clean" look. It's not about size, it's about Apple/luxury aesthetics fever. People want posh clean desks, with no wires and gadgets to be seen in there.
No one said that SFF cases that can hold full-sized graphics cards didn't exist, or that they weren't awesome. But those graphics cards aren't SFF by any means. Let's not confuse the two.

This. Also, they're calling us stupid by pointing at their 4-slot 2 kg monsters and saying "it's not big, it's normal because 2-slot is SFF now because we said so". Redefining reality and forcing everybody to accept it based only on sheer market presence is the most arrogant way to do business.
Exactly. It's not a problem to fit even four slot AIB 4090. After all, this is a problem of SFF, as it will eventually grow, in order to fit the bigger video cards.

But people miss the point. What if other someone wants to make really compact PC, with really cool and effecient VGA, with small heat envelope, but performance bigger than iGPU. As much as populate the rest of PCIE slots with the expansion cards of need. The problem is, this whole concept have become obsolete. Just beacuse, there are none cards, that have a small dimensions.

Not because the couldn't, but because there's none. The carts like RTX 4060, RTX4070, and RX 7600/7700 XT, could have two slot design, with no issue whatsoever, but there's none. Instead, the GPU makers, and the AIB partners, pushing their clocks and voltages to abysmal values, in order to increase the price and margins.
Heck, the HD 6870 had TBP ~150W, the RX 7600 is about the same, and 4060 is even 40W less. And 6870 had only small two slot cooler, regardless of AIBm and had no problem of coolint this card below 70-80°C. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, that is what SFF truly means! :)
Indeed. The companies can, when they want.

Last edited:
I've had an RTX 4070 FE for over year and out of all the cards I've seen since it's the only one I'd think would be "SFF Ready". It's exactly 2-slots and has 2 fans (244 x 112 x 40 mm) which looks sleek and compact compared to all these new monstrosities.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ha yes, the single slot card that reached 43dB on a 125w 9800 GT. wich is the TDP of the lower tier this generation. Galax tried that with a 4060 Ti, it's reaching 53db.
Galaxy GeForce 9800 GT 1024MB review | test (Page 4) (guru3d.com)
Galax's single-slot RTX 4060 Ti is out in the wild, though sadly it appears to be a little tempestuous | PC Gamer
View attachment 351663
I still think that you are reading into the whole SFF-ready thing too much, and according it too much influence when it's mostly a low effort compatibility list that doesn't even make sense when you look at it closely:

Have you checked the cases that are listed as being "SFF-ready?" the Prime AP201 is among them. It's pictured below. Yep, that's right, that case can fit a strix 4090. That thing can fit about any GPU in the market. It being listed is meaningless, that whole SFF-ready thing isn't going to to be as influential as you imagine, they aren't serious about it themselves. Even the listed cases spec are suspicious.

View attachment 351660

View attachment 351665

53dB???!! Le Gasp! That's approaching normal conversation at 1m (60dB), and might be louder than the set volume of the game being played that is causing it to run at full load. You're too focused on the case side of things when they have f-all to do with the angle Nvidia is playing, really just an afterthought on their part and they aren't redefining SFF or labeling certain cases SFF-Ready, they're saying the cards that are SFF Ready cards should fit in those cases that it. To reiterate again nvidia is trying to make up this category of cards and stuff every thing that isn't a monster 3/4-slotter in that bin. Imagine this hypothetical you have an itx mid-Tower, the allowance GPU length doesn't matter, there is plenty, but height GPU is maxed at 2.5 slots. You pick up a 5080 FE but that chonker doesn't fit because it's the new standard height @3.5slots. Naturally you go to RMA/Refund to get something but get denied(bc Asus) and hit with a restocking fee cititing due diligence that you should have bought a SFF card.

53dB???!! Le Gasp! That's approaching normal conversation at 1m (60dB), and might be louder than the set volume of the game being played that is causing it to run at full load. You're too focused on the case side of things when they have f-all to do with the angle Nvidia is playing, really just an afterthought on their part and they aren't redefining SFF or labeling certain cases SFF-Ready, they're saying the cards that are SFF Ready cards should fit in those cases that it. To reiterate again nvidia is trying to make up this category of cards and stuff every thing that isn't a monster 3/4-slotter in that bin. Imagine this hypothetical you have an itx mid-Tower, the allowance GPU length doesn't matter, there is plenty, but height GPU is maxed at 2.5 slots. You pick up a 5080 FE but that chonker doesn't fit because it's the new standard height @3.5slots. Naturally you go to RMA/Refund to get something but get denied(bc Asus) and hit with a restocking fee cititing due diligence that you should have bought a SFF card.
1.That's what I've explaining the whole time though... but you cannot talk about the SFF-ready GPUs in a vacuum, and that's why I keep saying that people are grossly overreacting to something that is probably going to die even faster than the Nvidia Battlebox, Because they aren't that serious about it.

2. Cases are absolutely getting the SFF-ready label. Without this the whole thing cannot work, there are still some SFF cases that can't fit SFF-ready GPUs. :D
1718660953530.png

1718661312330.png

1718661657842.png

All I'm seeing is a low-effort marketing stunt to have a bigger brand presence, because when shopping for a case, you'll see the name of Nvidia. Rather than a conspiracy to fuck over the consumer. Maybe things are different in the US, but in Europe, refusing to refund a product in the return window is breaking the law, unless said product shows traces of heavy degradation that can impact it's useability.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Why compromise? I am 256% sure, that if he'd get e.g. $100 Lancool 216, it not only would not impact the case footprint, but would significantly improve the performance.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against SFF as a whole. And I'm not against this guy (Optimum) in particular, as he has many good ideas and endeavors. But here he did the same moot point, as many famous "techtubers" (and many SFF folks, who like to shw off their rig on reddit or PCPartpicker). They all have portay issue- they show giant desks, so big, that they can accommodate server chassis, and the 48@ inch monitor/TV with ease. And then put a tiny box, tha barely take any space.

So what's point? Where are the space constrains? The problem is, people want SFF not due to these issues, but for the "clean" look. It's not about size, it's about Apple/luxury aesthetics fever. People want posh clean desks, with no wires and gadgets to be seen in there.

Big cases that you are not gonna fully utilize is a big compromise in itself. The Lancool 216 weight 10.5kg by itself, which is heavier than a complete SFF build with top tier components.

Also bigger cases are not going to improve thermal nor performance, the airflow from fans will have to move a longer distance to reach the hot components, for example the Corsair 4000D give better GPU thermal than the Corsair 5000D
airflow.jpg

I built a PC with Asus AP201 for a friend recently (13900K + 4080), temperatures are impeccable
20230607_190749.jpg

I have a giant desk myself but my Corsair 5000D build is a waste of space and heavy as hell :rolleyes:. I'm thinking of building an SFF with 9900X3D + 5090 for next gen

Last edited:
This whole "SFF-Ready" is a joke.
Right? The claim made by ASUS is utter nonsense and BS.

@ ASUS
SFF=Small Form Factor=single slot, half height card designs. What the hell is the complete moose-muffins of your claim here?

What I did I say when Nvidia announced this "standard"?? This is EXACTLY the type of shit that will happen.
And you were right. NVidia does not get to redifine what Smal-Form-Factor means.

@ NVidia
WTAF are you people smoking? I mean Seriously? What drugs are you nitwits on?

These sizes would fit better inside my case (Fractal Define R6), but does anyone know how these Prime cards fare, compared to the normal ones?

The specs seem similar to the TUF (theoretical perf is slightly lower):

Also, I wonder about noise and cooling.

These sizes would fit better inside my case (Fractal Define R6), but does anyone know how these Prime cards fare, compared to the normal ones?

The specs seem similar to the TUF (theoretical perf is slightly lower):

Also, I wonder about noise and cooling.

Noise and cooling are factors yes, but I'm inclined to say they are almost always "fine"/acceptable

When ITX GPU?

In the linked reddit thread, only a handful of cards have any cooling/noise problems, despite being close to the smallest offered

I have the/a single fan 2 slot Gigabyte 1080, it's not really loud/warm. Maybe if I wanted to OC it or run Furmark on it sure.

And even if it is, any of

make the card like 10% larger (still under 200mm, this one is 170 lol), (there are variations/hypotheticals listed in the reddit thread)
power limit,
undervolt, (this one esp.)
play with vsync/frame cap and minorly lower settings (kind of the same as power limiting but inverse)

will fix it

It's like a 7yo card and OEMs couldn't simply reuse designs for a 4070/S. Or kinda Zotac with the 1080Ti Mini and a 4070Ti/S. Forget getting something better after 7 years.

(There are 2 4070Ti S models from Inno3D and Gigabyte that are "good" in terms of size "efficiency", now hopefully they do the same next year with RTX 5xxx and Nvidia has half reasonable pricing/memory)

Noise and cooling are factors yes, but I'm inclined to say they are almost always "fine"/acceptable

When ITX GPU?

In the linked reddit thread, only a handful of cards have any cooling/noise problems, despite being close to the smallest offered
[..]
Thanks. I hope you're right, because in the end I decided to buy one.
It's like 5 years that I was waiting for price drops and they never happened.
When I saw 670€ whilst the others have been 800-1000€, I rushed to get it..
(still 200€ more than I paid my current old GTX 1070 tho)