• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Reviews are Live and Snapdragon X Elite Doesn't Quite Deliver on Promised Performance

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
The price point is all wrong for the use case though...

Which is why I specifically wrote that the Asus model doesn't deliver, as I don't want to draw any hastily conclusions.
yeah, if i want to do all that type of "content consumption" and what i call "passive computing" then i'd buy a macbook air, since for not interacting much with the device the OS type is kind of moot, plus you know they have extremely good battery life

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I don't think back then "Pro" was such a marketing gimmick like it is now
No, and in fact, I misspoke. There was the iBook and Powerbook for laptops. Both topped out with G4 (PowerPC 7447a). The G5 (970fx) was limited to the Powermac, and a slower version landed in the iMac. It was a hotter chip, and it failed to reach the clock speeds that Apple expected from IBM. That was a big deal, since clock for clock, the G5 wasn't really any faster than the G4.The G5 was never able to scale down to mobile, which put Apple in a tough spot. At that time, Intel had moved on from Netburst, and had really good options with Core. I don't think IBM was that interested in continuing to make CPUs anyway, so Intel was a really good landing spot for Apple, and served its purpose until Apple took matters in thier own hands.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Tuxedo announced they were developing an ARM laptop with one of these snapdragon elite chips, they'll come eventually. If Tuxedo is doing one, some big white label oem is doing one and so there will be at least a couple on offer from the usual suspects (shenker, tuxedo, system76, etc)

I would be excited for this -- especially if you can run docker/postgres etc. on it natively like you can on cloud linux distros... Would be awesome to have a functional linux devbox that can last 15 hours on battery...

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Intel didn't make efficient chips at all. They were fast CPUs just through brute force of having the vastly biggest budget.
Hard disagree. The core 2 lineup were efficiency marvels when they released. Nothing IBM had could come close. You could have efficiency, or performance. Intel gave you both.

System Name Fran
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ROG Strix B550-F GAMING WIFI II
Cooling Hyper 212 Turbo ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6700 10GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Kingston A1000 480GB
Display(s) Lenovo G27q-20 (1440p, 165Hz)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) MOONDROP Aria SE
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Gold III 850W
Mouse Logitech G302
Keyboard IK75 v3 (QMK version)
Native ARM application performance seems alright to me. Would have liked it to be more around $1000 but I don't think the doomposting is all that warranted. Many applications run on ARM natively now, and many more are to come.

It's always good to have options.

I would be excited for this -- especially if you can run docker/postgres etc. on it natively like you can on cloud linux distros... Would be awesome to have a functional linux devbox that can last 15 hours on battery...
For now you can run WSL2 with aarch64 ubuntu and you can get native ARM pgsql/docker/etc. A proper linux ARM laptop would definitely get me to buy one, though, but I have some faith in WoA and application support has been expanding nicely.

Low quality post by wolf

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Overhyped and under delivered.... I wonder if they copied Radeon Technologies Group's homework.

1718772155170.png

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
The irony of your post is that "Reduced Instruction Set Computer" these days includes the FJCVTZS instruction, aka Floating-point Javascript Convert to Signed fixed-point, rounding toward Zero, instruction.
The irony of your post is that i was responding to a specific comment, which its correct since that was exactly what intel did when they jumped from the 486 to the pentium, yet you ignored that.
RISC vs CISC has been dead for decades. Ever since ARM and RISC-V adopted AES Instructions, Javascript instructions, and SIMD, the world has gone 100% CISC.
See the response above and no, i wasnt talking about that war, simply speaking about the original chip.
I dunno, I think Apple gave up on PowerPC when it became obvious that the G5 was under-delivering. They never made a G5 MacBook Pro, I believe because it wouldn’t hit performance and thermal results, even on desktop it required way too much cooling. The writing was on the wall for PPC.
Exactly, perhaps i wasnt clear but the main reason for the stagnation was the lack of volume to justify the development expenses.
No, and in fact, I misspoke. There was the iBook and Powerbook for laptops. Both topped out with G4 (PowerPC 7447a). The G5 (970fx) was limited to the Powermac, and a slower version landed in the iMac. It was a hotter chip, and it failed to reach the clock speeds that Apple expected from IBM. That was a big deal, since clock for clock, the G5 wasn't really any faster than the G4.The G5 was never able to scale down to mobile, which put Apple in a tough spot. At that time, Intel had moved on from Netburst, and had really good options with Core. I don't think IBM was that interested in continuing to make CPUs anyway, so Intel was a really good landing spot for Apple, and served its purpose until Apple took matters in thier own hands.
Again correct, Motorola bailed first, IBM took over of what motorola was supposed to deliver but ended quitting themselves due to the lack of volume.

Technically, the M1 MBA Air is a banger for what it costs now (~USD720 around here). If only this price wasn't for that measly 8G/256G configuration...
Indeed. Same for the M1 Mac Mini.

They just need to add some more RAM at the entry level prices.
It will only get better. x86 days are numbered.
This is a good read about it.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
Overhyped and under delivered.... I wonder if they copied Radeon Technologies Group's homework.

View attachment 351951

After test driving this laptop for the past couple of hours, I feel like this is near an M1 experience. The emulation layer works well, albeit with extra power usage. However, I did buy this laptop with the intention of finding a laptop with decent performance and exceptional battery life to replace my M2 Mac. So far, this ticks my boxes. I am using Office within Edge, and all but two processes are running native ARM64 code.

I can confirm the battery life is far superior to my x86 notebooks. I am test driving this to see if it's a viable competitor to the 13th Gen Intels I have been buying for work. Overall, my impressions are that the chipset is very impressive, comparable to 13th-14th Gen Intel while sipping power; however, the software needs another 6-12 months. Would I buy this for my workforce moving forward? I need another couple of weeks to decide, but from a purely general business usage perspective, I am genuinely impressed.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Shitty smartphone CPU performs shittily in real i.e. desktop workloads. Next on today's news, water is still wet and the sky remains blue.

My distaste for these toy CPUs being sold at desktop CPU prices aside, I'm sure this will part fools from their money and thus cut into Apple's marketshare. And anything that hurts Apple is good for consumers.

Last edited:
System Name 06/2023
Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Custom 240mm cooling (for CPU) with noctua nfa12x25 and Phantek T30
Memory 32gb Gskill 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 dual asus deshrouded with 120mm NF-A12x25
Storage 2tb samsung 990 pro + 4tb samsung 870 evo
Display(s) Asus 27" Oled PG27AQDM + Asus 27" IPS PG279QM
Case Ncase M1 v6.1
Audio Device(s) Steelseries arctis pro wireless + Shure SM7b with Steinberg UR
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair scimitar pro (this mouse need an overall guys pls) + Logitech G Pro wireless with powerplay
Keyboard Sharkoon purewriter
Software windows 11
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 !
Good for browsing, email, online banking and online shopping, netflix and prime video...
That's about it then.

So you are saying it would be a good cpu in a phone? hum... makes sense.

After test driving this laptop for the past couple of hours, I feel like this is near an M1 experience. The emulation layer works well, albeit with extra power usage. However, I did buy this laptop with the intention of finding a laptop with decent performance and exceptional battery life to replace my M2 Mac. So far, this ticks my boxes. I am using Office within Edge, and all but two processes are running native ARM64 code.

I can confirm the battery life is far superior to my x86 notebooks. I am test driving this to see if it's a viable competitor to the 13th Gen Intels I have been buying for work. Overall, my impressions are that the chipset is very impressive, comparable to 13th-14th Gen Intel while sipping power; however, the software needs another 6-12 months. Would I buy this for my workforce moving forward? I need another couple of weeks to decide, but from a purely general business usage perspective, I am genuinely impressed.
That doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of laptops with the same hardware and battery capacity but with huge disparities in battery life due to different implementation of the power/performance curve. I'm absolutely certain that there are x86 laptops with better battery life (Framework 13.5 or Thinkpad T14s, both 7840u), and all the performance, stability and compatibility inherent in the dominant ISA.

I don't see any advantage in buying qualcomm's buggy product.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Not the slam dunk we are looking for, but no slouch either. I wonder if they will be able to price this competitively to drive adoption. Will we be able to pair this with external graphics?

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not the slam dunk we are looking for, but no slouch either. I wonder if they will be able to price this competitively to drive adoption. Will we be able to pair this with external graphics?
Doesn't seem to be the idea right now. Not even sure if the X Plus devices will be much cheaper either.

I have one question though: will the development of Prism help those with older 8cx devices?

The irony of your post is that i was responding to a specific comment, which its correct since that was exactly what intel did when they jumped from the 486 to the pentium, yet you ignored that.

See the response above and no, i wasnt talking about that war, simply speaking about the original chip.

What part of Intel's 16-bit original FPU modified x87, 32-bit extended MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AES-NI, BMI, BMI2, AVX512, AVX10 extended instruction set is RISC?

Oh, and Pentium / i686 was dual-issue / dual-pipelined. Intel didn't experiment with microcodes until Pentium4 IIRC, which is where people started talking bullshit about "RISC Core" even though the microcodes are "Perform an entire AES encryption step", which is hardly "RISC". By the time we're talking about 486 and Pentium btw, we're at "16-bit original FPU modified x87, 32-bit extended MMX, SSE". The later stuff hasn't happened yet, but it seems very difficult to call this a "Reduced Instruction Set Computer", especially as Pentium still supports the "loop" assembly instruction, push, pop, divide, and other "complex" instructions that perform multiple tasks in one code.

Unless you're talking load/store architectures btw, which is all the microcode system converts Intel Assembly into. Load/store is just one component of RISC, nothing else Intel / AMD do with x86_64 is anything close to the RISC they talked about in the 80s or 90s.

-----------

Oh, btw. both ARM and RISC-V are microcode engines today. Because their instructions are so complex they need multiple microcodes to implement them.

Everyone's Divide / Modulo instruction is microcoded. Because that's what you do, you destroy RISC-mindset because divide is so common that it makes sense to accelerate it at the machine level. But it also doesn't make sense to implement divide in its entirety all in hardware, because division is a very complex set of operations. So you compromise with microcode.

---------

My point is that CISC vs RISC has been stupid for decades. The entire debate is just a bunch of people misunderstanding microprocessor implementations and circlejerking over it.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
My point is that CISC vs RISC has been stupid for decades. The entire debate is just a bunch of people misunderstanding microprocessor implementations and circlejerking over it.
Mostly Apple fanboys, back when that was the Apple kool-aid. Nowadays it's the RISC-V fanboys because... IDK... RISC-V is open-source so that makes it "better" somehow? Or something equally facetious.

Mostly Apple fanboys, back when that was the Apple kool-aid. Nowadays it's the RISC-V fanboys because... IDK... RISC-V is open-source so that makes it "better" somehow? Or something equally facetious.

Its more than just Apple.

PowerPC, ARM, and the legion of lost 80s/90s processors (SPARC, Alpha, MIPS, PA-RISC) all claimed to be RISC. Furthermore, not a single company claims their ISA to be CISC. CISC is what "other" companies call Intel's design, almost a derogatory term that's pushed upon the competitor to make these other designs feel better about themselves.

If I were to push a company responsible for the RISC-mania, it'd be IBM and its POWER architecture. IBM did many CPU designs and seemed to push RISC as a marketing term the most (even as RISC was used all over the place, IBM was probably the most powerful and widespread mouthpiece to the pseudo-concept).

That being said: deep discussions about pipelines, processor efficiency, throughput etc. etc. allowed for these companies to leapfrog and advance CPUs. Alas, the "CISC" x86 instruction set by Intel (and later AMD) turned out to also take all those innovations anyway, and become the fastest processor of the 2000s, 2010s.

-----------

RISC-V continues the tradition of claiming advanced ISA design, much like its SPARC / ALPHA / MIPS bretherin before it. After all, every new CPU design needs to say why its better than the "CISC" machine over there, without necessarily using the trademarked term (Intel) in their marketing.

-------

I think with all the processor / ISA wars of the last decades, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. AMD came out with the dual ARM+x86 "Zen" design back in 2016, proving that all of these ISAs can convert between each other on a modern core anyway. And that's when I began to realize how similar ARM vs x86 was at the instruction level.

ARM stands for "Advanced RISC Machine" by the way, and was one of the other major marketers of the RISC term. (ARM wasn't very big in the 90s, but is a big deal now). With AMD making ARM + x86 compatible processor (even if it was just for its own internal tests), it proves how bullshit this whole discussion was. Decoders are not the critical element of modern processors, and they can be swapped out without much hassle. (At least, not a hassle for these multi-$$Billion megacorps).

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I’m curious if we’ll eventually see a desktop version of this chip, and a passively cooled option as well. I think they need to expand across multiple areas if they want us to take them seriously. How about something with expansion slots and external GPU support? That’s when I think we could more likely say that WOA has actually arrived.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It will only get better. x86 days are numbered.
That much is clear. I mean, x86 can't have more than 1 million days or so left, can it?

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Yup. Give 'em OLED screens all they want, but 1300 bucks is preposterous for the performance they deliver.
SOunds like the surface all over again

qOmega

When an article begins with comparing battery life of an OLED to a non OLED you know the article is gonna be a liiil biased. Js.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
When an article begins with comparing battery life of an OLED to a non OLED you know the article is gonna be a liiil biased. Js.
It's not biased, it's just written on a sample size of one. And it acknowledges that.

qOmega

It's not biased, it's just written on a sample size of one. And it acknowledges that.
Comparing models that drain a significant more amount of battery life is not the same as just comparing a random benchmark that may or may not be top of the line. It's quite literally not comparable. It's a different product.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Comparing models that drain a significant more amount of battery life is not the same as just comparing a random benchmark that may or may not be top of the line. It's quite literally not comparable. It's a different product.
Again, it's the only data we have atm. We'll get more relevant data shortly.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Native ARM application performance seems alright to me. Would have liked it to be more around $1000 but I don't think the doomposting is all that warranted. Many applications run on ARM natively now, and many more are to come.

It's always good to have options.
Define "many".
For now you can run WSL2 with aarch64 ubuntu and you can get native ARM pgsql/docker/etc. A proper linux ARM laptop would definitely get me to buy one, though, but I have some faith in WoA and application support has been expanding nicely.
I wouldnt be trusting ANYTHING microsoft makes these days.

SOunds like the surface all over again
If Microsoft had any sense about them, this would have been the CPU in a surface go 4 or 5. It's the perfect formfactor for ARMs tradeoffs.