• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Panasonic Connect Announces its First AI-Enabled TOUGHBOOK PC

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Panasonic Connect Canada, Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, today announced enhancements to the fully rugged and modular TOUGHBOOK 40 laptop. This second generation of the TOUGHBOOK 40, the Mk2, is the company's first PC to feature Intel Core Ultra processors, incorporating the latest CPU, GPU, and NPU technology advancements and up to 16 cores. Its dedicated NPU accelerates artificial intelligence (AI)-driven tasks for customers across law enforcement departments, federal agencies, and utility companies. Compared to the previous generation of Intel processors, these new processors deliver up to 143% faster AI application performance, 73% faster generative AI, and up to 40% lower processor power for AI-enhanced collaboration.

"We are dedicated to developing solutions that not only address the current needs of our customers, but also anticipate their future requirements," said Dominick Passanante, Vice President and GM of Panasonic Connect. "The TOUGHBOOK 40 Mk2, equipped with advanced AI capabilities, is another example of how we're providing the mobile workforce with tools to enhance productivity and efficiency on the job."

The TOUGHBOOK 40 features optional Intel Arc graphics for advanced graphical capabilities (up to 62% improved 3DMark compared to standard Intel graphics) to handle large datasets, imagery, and live video feeds in real time. An AMD dedicated GPU is also available. With DDR5 memory and 75% faster speeds, field technicians can run multiple applications simultaneously to access critical schematics and operational data to troubleshoot and maintain infrastructure efficiently. The TOUGHBOOK 40 equips federal government personnel with the necessary tools to make informed decisions swiftly and effectively, even in dynamic and high-pressure environments.

The TOUGHBOOK 40 Mk2 enhances the user experience with an optional second SSD that doubles the maximum storage, providing vast space for essential documents and applications. It utilizes an NVMe connector, which typically delivers 6 times faster read/write speeds than SATA connectors, ensuring quick file access and reduced wait times for data retrieval and transfer. It is also available with FIPS 140-2 encryption, offering a secure and certified hardware-encrypted storage drive.

The fully customizable TOUGHBOOK 40 features eight modular user-replaceable locations, including four expansion (xPAK) areas, offering customers 9,600 different combinations. An updated optional barcode xPAK enables seamless scanning of badges and access cards with increased brightness, double the sensor pixels, three times faster scanning speed, and a wider scanning area. The updated contactless smartcard reader xPAK meets evolving security and identification needs, particularly in law enforcement, and simplifies authentication procedures. Another new xPAK adds USB-C, USB-A, and HDMI ports, providing the additional I/O and flexibility customers have requested. These accessories can be preconfigured by Panasonic or purchased and installed separately by customers, offering unparalleled flexibility. This increases futureproofing, reduces the cost of ownership, simplifies ordering, improves lead times, and makes repairs easier.

The laptop comes equipped with Bluetooth 5.3 and Wi-Fi 7, the latter offering speeds of up to 5.8 Gbps, more than double the previous standard. This is particularly beneficial for police officers who need to upload large volumes of video data at the end of a shift. Users can expect a real-world battery life improvement of approximately 20%, allowing for extended work periods without needing to plug in.

Additional TOUGHBOOK 40 Mk2 Features:
  • 14" FHD 1-1200 nit capacitive gloved touch
  • Rugged certifications include 6' Drop, MIL-STD-810H, MIL-STD-461H, C1D2, and IP662
  • Intel Core Ultra 5 vPro 14-core processor 135H (optional Ultra 7 vPro processor 16-core 165H)
  • Optional Intel Arc graphics or AMD Radeon Pro W6300M dGPU
  • 512 GB-2 TB Main SSD & Second SSD (both user-replaceable) - up to 4 TB total
  • 16-64 GB DDR5 RAM (both user-replaceable & NVMe)
  • 4G or 5G connectivity options support FirstNet (band 14), CBRS private cellular (band 48), and dual SIM (physical + eSIM)
  • 5MP infrared webcam with privacy cover
  • Superior voice accuracy with tetra array microphones and now with AI noise reduction
  • Class-leading 95dB front speakers
  • 24 hours of battery life (MobileMark 25) with optional second battery
  • Local Platform Erase option to easily and securely wipe the entire contents of the device in less than 10 seconds
  • New COM splitter software allows WWAN-GPS or dedicated GPS to assign multiple COM ports to integrate with various applications requiring GPS information simultaneously
  • Easier to open latch and improved touchpad buttons

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
When I was younger I wished to have a toughbook. Now older I have a room filled with computers and no toughbook... yet

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent (Solid)
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original) on a X-Raypad Equate Plus V2
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I am sure that black ops special forces that would use something like this really need some AyyyyyyI in their lives to generate some cat pics.
Kidding, obviously, but the marketing is ridiculous for the product it is.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
When I was younger I wished to have a toughbook. Now older I have a room filled with computers and no toughbook... yet
You can get used ones fairly affordably. I used to refurb them. Be warned the specs aren't great and yes they will have scuffs but well,its a toughbook.

Kidding, obviously, but the marketing is ridiculous for the product it is.
Not really. These are absolutely front line products. I used to get the majority of mine as state surplus from police cruisers, because they were worn down the least.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
same... I have over 20 laptops and a toughbook aint one of em....

Is that room underground and in a faraday cage so they are protected from and emp?

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Is that room underground and in a faraday cage so they are protected from and emp?
It's my room above ground and cell phone barely work in here so technically 85% faraday.