• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Legendary Overclocker KINGPIN Leaves EVGA and Joins PNY to Develop Next-Generation GPUs for Extreme OC

Kingpin was always about making sure that the boards had exactly what they needed to be the best without bean counters coming in and demanding lower quailty parts/lower numbers of phases etc be used to meet a price point.

So they were always pricy, but they offered the best of the best that class of card could offer with only the silicon lottery being the only thing he couldnt control.

I could honestly imagine that the Kingpin 4090 would have been a 2 slot AIO card from the start AND 2 power connecters coming out in the normal location and not the top that nVidia wanted everyone to use.

Exactly. Cards with reference design do offer some headroom in regards of power delivery, but not enough when your attempting to chase records.

I've soldered my own capacitors onto cards as well; followed with potentiometers to increase voltages of over 2.2V.

Slapped a phase change cooler onto it and you got a chip operating at -40 degrees and over 150% GPU Core OC.

The Kingpin stuff is bolt on, plug and play, just install the cooler of choice and your good to go. Hopefully someone like Kingpin is offered to go way beyond AMD's specification as we're seeing now with the 7x00 series; locked bios, no morepowertools, just a small 15% increase in power and that's it.

What you say is contrary to the evidence. GN did multiple videos on the subject and every partner places the blame on Nvidia. EVGA decided to stop selling GPUs because it was fed up with Nvidia, not because of something they themselves did.

I swear, some people act like it's illegal to blame Nvidia for anything.

Good luck to anyone trying to stop a 3 trillion dollar company with a massive penchant for anti-competitive practices.
EVGA chose to give up and die.

EVGA chose to give up and die.
EVGA died as a GPU brand because Nvidia with their anti-competitive tactics on AIB's made it unprofitable to make cards to compete with the FE design. If EVGA had continued with the RTX 40 series cards it wouldn't have been sustainable especially with the melting power connector.
Other brands like Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI can get profit margins from things like motherboards, monitors, or SSD's.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
EVGA died a quick death once they decided to forego Team Green. The power of Nvidia is real.
It couldn't be that the owner literally doesn't want to do this anymore and does not trust a successor, as he said in interviews?

Anything else is guesswork.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
EVGA died as a GPU brand because Nvidia with their anti-competitive tactics on AIB's made it unprofitable to make cards to compete with the FE design. If EVGA had continued with the RTX 40 series cards it wouldn't have been sustainable especially with the melting power connector.
Other brands like Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI can get profit margins from things like motherboards, monitors, or SSD's.

That's your anti-Nvidia bias talking and little more. For an unsustainable business EVGA poured an insane amount of resources on the RTX 30 series, and did not spend anything significant in the other areas that could have become profitable for them.

It's just the reality the CEO guy doesn't care anymore. That's all there is to it.

What you say is contrary to the evidence. GN did multiple videos on the subject and every partner places the blame on Nvidia. EVGA decided to stop selling GPUs because it was fed up with Nvidia, not because of something they themselves did.

I swear, some people act like it's illegal to blame Nvidia for anything.

Good luck to anyone trying to stop a 3 trillion dollar company with a massive penchant for anti-competitive practices.

It's way easier to point fingers and blame a scapegoat that is hierarchically much higher - yes, paint Nvidia as the devil... I'm waiting on the other AIBs complaining, or at least going bankrupt.

What of their motherboards? Excellent audio cards? PSUs? Peripherals? Come on. It's just not Nvidia's fault. Everyone knows this. They didn't put enough effort, lost ground and were eventually left behind.

All the of the top premium SKUs in general from ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte are exclusive to Nvidia now. Nvidia fully implemented the GeForce partner program and the tech news media didn't give a crap.

Maybe Radeon cards are not the wonder that some people on tech forums seem to believe they are and fail to maintain a meager 10% market share. Who would want a Radeon when they don't have a brand bias? They don't offer anything that stands out against the competition.

AMD's own failure to captivate the market and earn the trust of big AIBs cannot be attributed to Nvidia. They realize they have to release better products with a matching feature set. This takes time, and requires correct execution. Give AMD some time, but they'll never really catch up.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Kingpin was always about making sure that the boards had exactly what they needed to be the best without bean counters coming in and demanding lower quailty parts/lower numbers of phases etc be used to meet a price point.

So they were always pricy, but they offered the best of the best that class of card could offer with only the silicon lottery being the only thing he couldnt control.

I could honestly imagine that the Kingpin 4090 would have been a 2 slot AIO card from the start AND 2 power connecters coming out in the normal location and not the top that nVidia wanted everyone to use.
I think his 5090 will be 2 slot AIO, he is seeing the same as me, these triple slot air cooling is a bit silly. He also mentioned what you said with the power connector placements. :)

I take back my original thoughts on being no place for Kingpin, I quite like the idea of a Kingpin AIO, then later it becomes standardised on other cards.

That's your anti-Nvidia bias talking and little more. For an unsustainable business EVGA poured an insane amount of resources on the RTX 30 series, and did not spend anything significant in the other areas that could have become profitable for them.

It's just the reality the CEO guy doesn't care anymore. That's all there is to it.

It's way easier to point fingers and blame a scapegoat that is hierarchically much higher - yes, paint Nvidia as the devil... I'm waiting on the other AIBs complaining.
I find it ironic you call me biased, when you're clearly biased towards Nvidia while ignoring the truth here.
GN has done several videos on EVGA exiting the business, it is both EVGA not being profitable making graphics cards, and CEO wanting to step down, according to GN the CEO was also tired of dealing with Nvidia.
EVGA did invest in making AMD motherboards, peripherals, and sound cards, although no one seemed to be interested in anything except their gpu's and power supplies. Motherboards were already a niche for them so there isn't much else for EVGA to be profitable on besides power supplies.
Presenting the facts isn't finger pointing, Nvidia is a anti-competitive company which has tight control over all their AIB's down to how they design cards, Kingpin even hints at that in the GN video. And it isn't some coincidence Asus and Gigabyte aren't making any high end AMD cards or that MSI dropped them altogether.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
people are still into overclocking? i want massive efficiency, not a bloated electric bill.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I was wondering where Kingpin would end up. I was never a follower of his but I did like to see the crazy OC he did on GPUs.

It couldn't be that the owner literally doesn't want to do this anymore and does not trust a successor, as he said in interviews?

Anything else is guesswork.

There was more going on than that but Nvidia isn't entirely to blame. Here's an article that may be of interest that I remember at the time. JPR reported that 80% of EVGA's revenue came from GPUs but also that EVGA accounted for 40% of Nvidia GPU sales overall. A hell of a lot of gamers liked and trusted EVGA cards and designs. I had a few myself over the years.

Profit margins for AIB partners were becoming abysmal while Nvidia's profits continued to soar. Ripe ground for resentments to grow.

1719084771782.png

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Keyboard Galax Stealth
I find it ironic you call me biased, when you're clearly biased towards Nvidia while ignoring the truth here.
GN has done several videos on EVGA exiting the business, it is both EVGA not being profitable making graphics cards, and CEO wanting to step down, according to GN the CEO was also tired of dealing with Nvidia.
EVGA did invest in making AMD motherboards, peripherals, and sound cards, although no one seemed to be interesting in anything except their gpu's and power supplies. Motherboards were already a niche for them so there isn't much else for EVGA to be profitable on besides power supplies.
Presenting the facts isn't finger pointing, Nvidia is a anti-competitive company which has tight control over all their AIB's down to how they design cards, Kingpin even hints at that in the GN video. And it isn't some coincidence Asus and Gigabyte aren't making any high end AMD cards or that MSI dropped them altogether.

Can you really blame them for not wanting to even bother with products the market has clearly rejected? With RDNA 4 being out of the high-end game and Battlemage coming after them at the low and midrange, you should fully expect this situation to worsen over time. AMD needs to release products the market wants. Not what some boomers on tech forums nostalgic for the ATI days want. They need a trump card other than good Linux support. Like I said on my earlier post, AMD's failure to captivate the market and motivate AIBs to develop products based on their architecture is nobody's but their own. There is no grand conspiracy from Nvidia here, no matter how much any of you may have a personal point to hate them.

If there was a shred of truth about these GPP allegations (really, you AMD guys can NEVER let a grudge go, it's been almost ten years and you are still harping about it), don't you think the FTC, money grubbing lawyers and at this $3.5T valuation, even NGOs wouldn't be rushing to get a check and spread as much negative publicity as possible? Come on.

Their investments failed - each and every one of EVGA's peripheral businesses have failed. Will you tell me that Nvidia is at fault for them to giving up on the NU Audio after the Asahi Kasei fire? Or is Nvidia at fault that they started to pump out junk tier power supplies that relied on their "world-class RMA, sure, our product is junk but if it blows up, we'll cover it!"? Is it Nvidia's fault that they stopped releasing new keyboards and mice after the last few they released received lukewarm at best reviews? That they abandoned most of their former ventures such as their network cards a loong time ago? Sure, just put it all on Uncle Jensen's tab!

Here's the reality outside of the red bubble: no one wants Radeons, especially at the high-end where people are actually willing to spend money on a better product, so why on Earth would any brand spend the R&D to develop a premium board based on an AMD chip unless they are exclusive to AMD? In that case, since you insist on a niche within a niche, Sapphire and TUL got you covered, and I haven't seen a XOC "Atomic" board from them in the past few generations either. TUL at least released those PowerColor Liquid Devil cards, which are probably the closest to a super-high-end AMD design we've had in years.

This might hurt AMD fans' feelings, but the truth is, until AMD itself stops releasing these awful product lineups one after another, nobody will take them seriously. The graph even shows that the market at large cares not one bit for this AMD v. NV squabble, every time AMD released a product that the market wanted, the market share had a direct response.

1719084318027.png

I was wondering where Kingpin would end up. I was never a follower of his but I did like to see the crazy OC he did on GPUs.

There was more going on than that but Nvidia isn't entirely to blame. Here's an article that may be of interest that I remember at the time. JPR reported that 80% of EVGA's revenue came from GPUs but also that EVGA accounted for 40% of Nvidia GPU sales overall. A hell of a lot of gamers liked and trusted EVGA cards and designs. I had a few myself over the years.

Profit margins for AIB partners were becoming abysmal while Nvidia's profits continued to soar. Ripe ground for resentments to grow.

View attachment 352354

Is this exclusive to GeForce or does this account for first-party enterprise hardware that did not previously exist as well? That's an extreme caveat to the point that it would completely invalidate the argument otherwise.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Yeah being privately owned the idea that they were "unsustainable" is laughable.

Really, they actually finished the RTX 4090 Kingpin board, as well as the X670E Classified. All the R&D costs on those two (high-margin!) products were completely wasted because neither was released to the public. It's as if the commitment to supporting these itself wasn't worth it in the eyes of management.

I get labeled an NVIDIA fanboy or an EVGA hater all the time when I point out these things that seem rather obvious to me, but I felt EVGA's exit from the market a ton, I really liked their products, especially the NU Audio - homerun of a product, can't imagine my PC without it.

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
Exactly. Cards with reference design do offer some headroom in regards of power delivery, but not enough when your attempting to chase records.

I've soldered my own capacitors onto cards as well; followed with potentiometers to increase voltages of over 2.2V.

Slapped a phase change cooler onto it and you got a chip operating at -40 degrees and over 150% GPU Core OC.

The Kingpin stuff is bolt on, plug and play, just install the cooler of choice and your good to go. Hopefully someone like Kingpin is offered to go way beyond AMD's specification as we're seeing now with the 7x00 series; locked bios, no morepowertools, just a small 15% increase in power and that's it.
Exactly, Kingpin products were great for people who wanted to step into extreme OC without being gatekeepered behind knowledge walls of knowing how to modify power stages, what to look out for in PCB designs as weaklinks when going extreme and logical placements of components to make mounting/running cards under LN2 without issues.

Its one area I am starting to dislike around PC component manufacturers is how they want to pen us into the Console/Apple sort of mentality where they tell us what our hardware can do and go no further. All to please the beancounters so that when people do stupid stuff they may get granted an RMA cause they cant prove they were being stupid.

I think his 5090 will be 2 slot AIO, he is seeing the same as me, these triple slot air cooling is a bit silly. He also mentioned what you said with the power connector placements. :)

I take back my original thoughts on being no place for Kingpin, I quite like the idea of a Kingpin AIO, then later it becomes standardised on other cards.
I like the though of how Kingpin is going around GPU boost etc. He realises that for the average consumer its a good thing because it removes a lot of the guess work/crashing of yesteryear. He has also worked out how to work around it to get the most out of a card and what that takes. That means that if/when we get a Kingpin 5090 etc I suspect it may be the fastest or it may actually not be. But the Boost clock it advertises will be something it hits the majority if not all the time vs now where those boost clocks on some of the more extreme cards are hit in "ideal" circumstances.

In regards to AIO/Air cooling he has said that he understands with Air there is real limitations with high wattage cards getting them to clock high, and that just slapping most slots worth of cooler isnt going to get you great gains. Hence him moving to AIOs on his card for the last few gens of products.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
people are still into overclocking? i want massive efficiency, not a bloated electric bill.

Agree, and not just the electric bill, hours getting it stable, extra cooling, all for how much of an improvment, 5%/10%. i lost interest years ago.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
EVGA died a quick death once they decided to forego Team Green. The power of Nvidia is real.
If i stop eating i die quick as well, the power of food is real.

Agree, and not just the electric bill, hours getting it stable, extra cooling, all for how much of an improvment, 5%/10%. i lost interest years ago.
And the added heat from oc, thats why all the descisions i make on parts are based on price/efficiency ratio. 300 for the rtx 3060 170w vs over 400 to 500$ for 3060ti 200 w @ the time of purchase 1 year ago. 3600 and later 5600x 65w processors vs the 95w or 125 w cpus. as these are the components that use the most power this is where efficiency matters most. with minor adjustments to default maximum settings to most games and i highly recommend dlss in the QUALITY setting only and you can achieve incredible visuals especially with a properly calibrated 1440 hdr fast panel. some visuals can become so striking in realism it really is like a sense of euphoria. yea you gotta play with things to get it jsut right, but thats with anything, that you want to be perfect, you have to perfect it yourself.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / ST10000VN0008 / SA400S37960G / SNV21000G / NM620 2TB
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
It's way easier to point fingers and blame a scapegoat that is hierarchically much higher - yes, paint Nvidia as the devil... I'm waiting on the other AIBs complaining, or at least going bankrupt.

It's easy to point fingers at Nvidia because they have engaged in and continue to engage in anti-consumer practices. We know this for a fact because multiple times now it has bubbled to the surface publicly. They are currently under investigation for anti-trust but they've gotten in trouble for lying about card specs, lying to their investors, strong arming AIBs (whether that be the GPP or the current situation where only Nvidia is allowed ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI's premium SKUs), cheating on benchmarks, implementing malicious game tech (tessellation far beyond what was visible in Crysis 2 merely to nuke AMD performance), ect. The list goes on. Heck they never did own up to the fact that the 3000 series cards, in particular the 3090, was feeding back noise into the 12v sense pin which caused some PSUs like the Seasonic prime to trip OCD. That was an Nvidia design fault, not Seasonic. Nvidia can do no wrong.

What of their motherboards? Excellent audio cards? PSUs? Peripherals? Come on. It's just not Nvidia's fault. Everyone knows this. They didn't put enough effort, lost ground and were eventually left behind.

A majority of EVGA's revenue was graphics cards They were the largest AIB for Nvidia after all. It's different for ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte who were diversified.

EVGA was Nvidia's most ardent partner and Nvidia tossed them aside like trash just like they did BFG and XFX. Like Linus Torvalds said:

A company so terrible to work with that even your partners who signed on to exclusively make products for you decide it isn't worth it anymore.

But sure, despite all the evidence let's just pretend it's everyone else's fault. /s

Maybe Radeon cards are not the wonder that some people on tech forums seem to believe they are and fail to maintain a meager 10% market share.

No one is on the forums claiming that AMD cards are wonders. That's a load of nonsense.

Who would want a Radeon when they don't have a brand bias? They don't offer anything that stands out against the competition.

Typically AMD has lower prices and more VRAM, two very important things for most folks. They do have a good driver interface and a few features Nvidia doesn't have like built in OC and better power management options. Obviously Nvidia has more exclusive features of course but AMD's 10% marketshare isn't proportionate to how competitive their products are. AMD had 19.4% marketshare with Bulldozer CPUs so why is a vastly more competitive RDNA architecture only netting a mere 10% after 3 generations? Software lock-in and mindshare.

AMD's own failure to captivate the market and earn the trust of big AIBs cannot be attributed to Nvidia. They realize they have to release better products with a matching feature set.

Trust has nothing to do with as Nvidia has thoroughly demonstrated with the way it treats AIBs. AMD has litteraly been releasing products with a matching feature set, that clearly hasn't worked either. Could they release better products? Yes, RDNA3 for example could have been more power efficient but TBH I believe the software-lock in is more problematic. That doesn't mean it only deserved 10% marketshare though. It's probably why AMD is going after the AI market aside from the huge margins, aside from ROCm making it easier to move to AMD the ecosystem is young and AMD has a change to get in realitively early, hopefully pushing for open source solutions.

This takes time, and requires correct execution. Give AMD some time, but they'll never really catch up.

That's a rather dour prediction. Not sure I'd want to see GPU pricing in a market where AMD never catches up, aside from the obvious impact that could have on innovation. Nvidia has continued to innovate despite being in the lead for awhile but there's no guarante that will continue ad infinitum.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
You also need to live in one of the coldest place on earth too :D, there is no way to keep the 4090 below 31C on watercooling/aircooling
So we have turned full circle back to ln2 again.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It's as if the commitment to supporting these itself wasn't worth it in the eyes of management.
Yep. If you want to retire without selling it wouldn't be.

That's exactly why I went with the RTX 3090 Kingpin: The AIO liquid cooling + a bit smaller in size + quality. Any company that doesn't pick him up are either idiots, too set in how they want to do things(i.e. too many cooks spoil the soup), or both. I'm not sure how it would go with PNY if he joins them. PNY is more of a "generic" brand and if they don't allow him to set the hardware standard(s), Kingpin will just turn into another 3DFX(if anyone remembers the voodoo cards).

Anyway, regarding EVGA & NVidia, you can rest assured EVGA was losing money or they wouldn't have discontinued the graphics cards.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Overclocking is not dead, don't fool yourselves. Just because you don't do it, doesn't mean that others don't.

It is still alive an well, we call it tuning these days, and everyone is doing it.

Some people are better at it than others, it has always been that way.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
So we have turned full circle back to ln2 again.

We could do it the easy way of using an AC blowing directly into the PC, like Jayztwocents did

Or the hard way, watercooling + Dry Ice (which will require shielding components from condensation)

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB