• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kioxia Introduces 2 Tb QLC Flash Memory with the Latest BiCS FLASH Technology

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
Kioxia Corporation, a world leader in memory solutions, today announced that it started sample shipments of 2 Tb (Tera bit) Quad-Level-Cell (QLC) memory devices with its eighth-generation BiCS FLASH 3D flash memory technology. This 2 Tb QLC device has the highest capacity in the industry, elevating storage devices to a new capacity point that will drive growth in multiple application segments including AI.

With its latest BiCS FLASH technology, Kioxia has achieved both vertical and lateral scaling of memory die through proprietary processes and innovative architectures. In addition, the company has implemented the groundbreaking CBA (CMOS directly Bonded to Array) technology, which enables the creation of higher density devices and an industry-leading interface speed of 3.6 Gbps. Together, these advanced technologies are applied in the creation of 2 Tb QLC, resulting in the industry's highest capacity memory device.

The 2 Tb QLC is equipped with a bit density approx. 2.3 times higher and a write power efficiency approx. 70 percent higher than Kioxia's current fifth-generation QLC device which is the highest capacity in Kioxia's products. With a 16-die stacked architecture in a single memory package, the latest QLC device achieves industry-leading 4 TB (Tera byte) of capacity. It is available with a smaller package size of 11.5 x 13.5 mm and a package height of 1.5 mm.

Charles Giancarlo, Chief Executive Officer, Pure Storage, Inc., the IT pioneer that delivers the world's most advanced data storage technology and services, highlighted the significance of Kioxia's latest development for the company's platform: "We have a long-standing relationship with Kioxia and are delighted to incorporate their eighth-generation BiCS FLASH 2 Tb QLC flash memory products to enhance the performance and efficiency of our all-flash storage solutions. Pure's unified all-flash data storage platform is able to meet the demanding needs of artificial intelligence as well as the aggressive costs of backup storage. Backed by Kioxia technology, Pure Storage will continue to offer unmatched performance, power efficiency, and reliability, delivering exceptional value to our customers."

"We are pleased to be shipping samples of our new 2 Tb QLC with the new eighth-generation BiCS FLASH technology," said Hideshi Miyajima, Chief Technology Officer of Kioxia. "With its industry-leading high bit density, high speed data transfer, and superior power efficiency, the 2 Tb QLC product will offer new value for rapidly emerging AI applications and large storage applications demanding power and space savings."

In addition to the 2 Tb QLC, Kioxia also added a 1 Tb QLC memory devices to its portfolio. In comparison with the capacity-optimized 2 Tb QLC, the performance-optimized 1 Tb QLC offers approx. a 30 percent faster sequential write performance and approx. a 15 percent improvement in read latency. The 1 Tb QLC will be deployed in high performance applications, including client SSD and mobile.

Kioxia will continue to develop industry-leading memory products in anticipation of growing demand for data storage solutions.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

I remember the big news was BiCS memory... still haven't heard of it actually being used in any consumer applications...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
I remember the big news was BiCS memory... still haven't heard of it actually being used in any consumer applications...
It's used in all WD, SanDisk and Kioxia SSDs, but I guess those aren't consumer applications...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
QLC....
angry over it GIF by WGN Morning News

It's used in all WD, SanDisk and Kioxia SSDs, but I guess those aren't consumer applications...

Might be wrong but I believe only Kioxia advertises their SSDs as using BiCs technology, the other guys just say 3D nand like everything else on the market.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name WIP
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling TBD
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage TBD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case TBD
Audio Device(s) TBD
Power Supply TBD
Mouse TBD
Keyboard TBD
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2

BiCS is being used in practically every SSD that has Kioxia NAND for quite a few years now... This one is an 8th generation BiCS product.

Well...
It's not as if it matter to consumers.

Sure, what I meant was that if you open a couple of product pages from WD you'll struggle to find BiCS mentioned anywhere, you'll just see 3d nand (and from my experience doing that just now often not even that).

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sure, what I meant was that if you open a couple of product pages from WD you'll struggle to find BiCS mentioned anywhere, you'll just see 3d nand (and from my experience doing that just now often not even that).
Does any SSD maker advertise what NAND they use?

GabrielLP14

SSD DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Gabriel-PC
Processor Core i7-13700K (All Core 5.7GHz)
Motherboard MSI Z790-P PRO WIFI DDR4
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 32GB Netac DDR4-3200 MT/s CL-16
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Super Colorful
Storage Memblaze P7940 7.68TB Gen5 (OS), SK Hynix P41 2TB (Games) + 4x 4TB WD Black HD (Synology NAS DS1817)
Display(s) AOC G2460PF 144Hz 1ms (Kinda trash)
Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black
Audio Device(s) Motherboard onboard audio (good enough for me)
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Have no idea (Generic)
Keyboard Have no idea (Generic)
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2 + Windows Server 2022 + Synology in NAS
What's the write performance like for the 1TB high performance and 2TB modules? Needs to be 5x better than current trash.
Most likely less than 50 MB/s per die. In a best case scenario