• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Increases the Price for Game Pass on PC and Xbox

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't get all the hate about the Game Pass. I have had it for 4 years, using it on my Series X and my PC. Given the price of new games, if I complete 3-4 games a year, it pays for itself. I get my use out of it and it has saved me in the long run. Though I mostly play the single player games and once I complete them, I don't go back through them again.

This year alone I have played through Gears of War (Windows 10 Edition), Atomic Heart, Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, Astria Ascending, Sea of Stars, and Redfall.

Game Pass is a good fit for you. For me it would be a failure. I don't play games when they first come out because they usually need several patches before they are ready to play without issues. I wait and then wait a little more and pick them up on a really good sale. Usually 75% off but occasionally I get some at 50% off. I'm pretty careful with what I buy so I don't end up with a lot of junk and quite a few games I do want to replay a few years down the road. Some I have been replaying since the 1990s so Game Pass just isn't for me. I don't pretend that I own the majority of my games though, just the ones from GOG.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I don't get all the hate about the Game Pass.
Alright, place your bets: Intentionally reddit-tier obtuse or dumber then a box of rocks?
I have had it for 4 years, using it on my Series X and my PC. Given the price of new games, if I complete 3-4 games a year, it pays for itself. I get my use out of it and it has saved me in the long run. Though I mostly play the single player games and once I complete them, I don't go back through them again.
Ok, so that's $815.52 for 4 years, not including sales tax. It saves you money, if you MUST have the newest shiny on launch day. Since you mostly play single player games, you could wait 6 months and get them for 50%+ off. There's no FOMO, since they are not multiplayer. If you have to have the newest shiny, then great, it works for you, but its an objective waste of money if you cant wait for a sale and/or dont have time to finish more then 4 full games a year.
This year alone I have played through Gears of War (Windows 10 Edition), Atomic Heart, Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, Astria Ascending, Sea of Stars, and Redfall.
That's great, you have way more free time then I and many others do. What criticism of Game Pass do you feel is inaccurate?

I feel the concept of Game Pass is failing. To me, it’s not a sustainable model to begin with. This steep 33% price increase looks ok on the surface for MS, but I believe it will tank the Game Pass sales. In any case, all the best to MS gaming division. I no longer use Game Pass because it just don't work for my gaming pattern. Makes more sense to wait for a Steam sale and buy a game that I will play.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Game Pass is a good fit for you. For me it would be a failure. I don't play games when they first come out because they usually need several patches before they are ready to play without issues. I wait and then wait a little more and pick them up on a really good sale. Usually 75% off but occasionally I get some at 50% off. I'm pretty careful with what I buy so I don't end up with a lot of junk and quite a few games I do want to replay a few years down the road. Some I have been replaying since the 1990s so Game Pass just isn't for me. I don't pretend that I own the majority of my games though, just the ones from GOG.
Same. I still play games from the 90s. And I dont want to wake up only to find that my subscription service has changed what games are available to me because MS said so.

Besides, I dont have that much free time. Between working, commuting, chores, household maintenance, and a social life, I get maybe 8-10 hours a week, at most, to play vidya. I dont know how people can finish all these AAA slog fests that come out and still have time for everything else. When there is a game I want, like DRG, I wait for a sale. I havent paid over $10 for a game in years, with the rare exception. Game pass, for me, would be an objective waste of money, and tie me into MS's ecosystem which I DONT want.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
My main issue with game pass is the rotation that pushes games out. Everything should be permanent once in there in my opinion.

I did the 3 year thing for super cheap trick, and that expired ironically 3 months ago, after a auto renewal I disabled auto renew to effectively cancel it during May.

Am I gutted given this news? Not really. Although I made use of FF games being on the game pass during the first six months or so, after that, I never really used it once they were pushed out, meaning the value for money likely wasnt great. I still never got round to doing a new run of Fable 2 and Fable 3, but I can just buy them, and given the new prices I will save money on the long run.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
I love all the contrarians on this site. For me having 3 kids that love games that have low attention spans, the yearly game pass more than makes up for itself. I expect the the price to go up again every year for the next 2 years. My kids are happy with the rotation and if there's a game they really want they go cut grass or something else to earn money to have it permanently.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
Alright, place your bets: Intentionally reddit-tier obtuse or dumber then a box of rocks?

Ok, so that's $815.52 for 4 years, not including sales tax. It saves you money, if you MUST have the newest shiny on launch day. Since you mostly play single player games, you could wait 6 months and get them for 50%+ off. There's no FOMO, since they are not multiplayer. If you have to have the newest shiny, then great, it works for you, but its an objective waste of money if you cant wait for a sale and/or dont have time to finish more then 4 full games a year.

That's great, you have way more free time then I and many others do. What criticism of Game Pass do you feel is inaccurate?

So, your reply is to be insulting and just an outright ass? I mean if you buy 4 games a year.... some do buy more than that.... that's $240 a year (assuming $60 a game, though I see some going for $70 or more) and that's $960 for 4 years. I'd much rather save the $145 and get access to many more than 4 games a year.

Just because someone has a different perspective and things may make sense to them and not you, doesn't mean you need to flame them.

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
I find a game I want to try - download gets about 70% done and it fails. I get some stupid error message and error number. I do the whole search online and see numerous posts and suggestions. None of the dozen or so suggestions work. I cannot get the download to pickup from where it failed at so now I have to try and redownload 100+ GB again? Screw it. I won't bother with it then.
Microsoft DRM is so completely insane that even with a pair of codes from like ~3 years ago, I refuse to use it and have second thoughts about issuing them in giveaways, it's that bad. It's not a reliable service and Xbox app has always had serious problems, starting with the kind of software lockout that reminds me of the SQL 2005 era.

I made a jump from 2019 to Win10 just to use it. That happened. Was NOT worth it. ✖

Having enough local storage isn't even an issue. 240GB M.2 + 120GB sata means I'll have more than enough space but I do NOT want any of this junk on my main drive. There are permission issues with the way content gets loaded, there are scrubbing issues because of it and there's no way to transfer the data around and recover it after some emergency that involves a system wipe. Everything about this garbage screams WASTE OF TIME and probably bandwidth if I wasn't already an archiver.

Gamepass is REALLY good if you're a kid with the right hardware, bandwidth and no anxiety about getting pushed out of rotation.
For those of us that HOARD everything from stupid ZIPs, Win32s, x64 installers, ISOs and RAWs, adding APPX is just another box to tick.
I'm sure you already understand the issue but how do you deal with this sort of thing without iSCSI or some attached disk that is specifically for MS apps (and nothing else)?

1720667272559.png

The library continues to grow...

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
So after buying game studio left and right and closing them down, MS feel like they need to increase game pass prices eh.

Never bought game pass and never will, if a game studio made a good game I will just buy them full price (Steam family share is a great option too)

I feel the concept of Game Pass is failing. To me, it’s not a sustainable model to begin with. This steep 33% price increase looks ok on the surface for MS, but I believe it will tank the Game Pass sales. In any case, all the best to MS gaming division. I no longer use Game Pass because it just don't work for my gaming pattern. Makes more sense to wait for a Steam sale and buy a game that I will play.

Because it's not, like Uber or Uber Eats or Airbnb or Netflix. They get you hooked with attractive prices early on, then jack it up 50% over 5 years.

Processor 7600x -- 8600k
Motherboard MSI B650 -- ASRock z370
Cooling TR PA120 -- CM212
Memory 2x16GB -- 2x8GB
Video Card(s) PNY 4080 -- Zotac 2080ti
Storage 4TB SN850x / 4TB 870evo / 2TB SN770 -- 512GB 970 / 2TB WDBlue / some HDDs
Display(s) Acer XB271HU -- Sony X950H (49)
Case Torrent Compact Steel Panel -- Define R2
Power Supply BeQuiet Darkpower 13 750w -- Seasonic X750
Keyboard Epomaker TH80SE + EK21
Software Win10 (both)
My experience with Games for Windows Live ~15 years ago was so terrible that I've shy'd away from ever using the MS store, buying an xbox, or using gamepass. I think they did me a favor way back then.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I don't get all the hate about the Game Pass. I have had it for 4 years, using it on my Series X and my PC. Given the price of new games, if I complete 3-4 games a year, it pays for itself. I get my use out of it and it has saved me in the long run. Though I mostly play the single player games and once I complete them, I don't go back through them again.

Yeah and if you had waited 6 months you could have played all of that for, maybe, $80,- and you would own the content.

Lovely deal

My bet is that, depending on microsoft gaming division's results, WoW will become "game pass only" to make up the following quarters profits. Telemetry regarding people with both WoW subscription and game pass subscription will decide if it ends up in the middle or in the top tier.
There is a new expansion soon so this probably will happen after launch (to avoid boicots) when people is still engange but numbers start to slowly decline.

Same with OVW2, "paid" battle pass could be granted if you're under game pass umbrella, f.e. for the lowest tier. And "premium" for next tier and so on.

After all 75.000.000.000 USD are lots of game pass new subscriptions... I don't think Candy Crush and CoD can pay that bill.

System Name Main Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX PBO 3,6-4,2Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte x399 Aorus Pro (ReBAR patched)
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 420
Memory 8x16GB (128) Kingston Fury RGB @3200Mts 16-18-18-36-74 2T
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 ROG Gaming OC @1500Mhz (1965Boost)
Storage Corsair MP510
Power Supply EVGA Super Nova 1000GT
i prefer my games "not rented" ...
Btw you can run games for free on gamepass and then use the savegames on steam or pirated versions once they are off the list. I did that with a bunch of games.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Because it's not, like Uber or Uber Eats or Airbnb or Netflix. They get you hooked with attractive prices early on, then jack it up 50% over 5 years.
Its exactly this. And to drive the point home: at the end of the day, everything you paid for is basically pissed away, the ROI is zero, its pay per view really, packaged in a monthly sub. Its a bit like all you can eat restaurants, it sounds like a great concept because you can eat a lot, but in practice you won't be eating more than you would have making an ordinary meal at probably 1/4th of the price. And the next day you'll take a regular shit regardless of where you've been to. But the home cooked meal leftovers are still in your fridge, too.

And then you get those all you can eat fans saying they've made a smart move. Lol. Apparently people forget that ownership represents value, too. Quite simply because ownership means independence and independence means you can do things without touching on yet another commercial clusterfuck to get somewhere or do something.

See, I can just reinstall any game I own and play it. Cost? Zero. It means I can go a full year paying nothing, instead, to still have entertainment.
Its as simple as those AirBnB's you visit: those home owners are making money off their property by renting you that room, and you're pissing it away by renting it.

So, your reply is to be insulting and just an outright ass? I mean if you buy 4 games a year.... some do buy more than that.... that's $240 a year (assuming $60 a game, though I see some going for $70 or more) and that's $960 for 4 years. I'd much rather save the $145 and get access to many more than 4 games a year.

Just because someone has a different perspective and things may make sense to them and not you, doesn't mean you need to flame them.
If you buy games new, sure. But why would you? Consider the different kinds of games that get released:

- Single player oriented games: there is no need to play them at launch, there is no online community for it, and you'll miss the DLCs that inevitably flesh out the main content further. Waiting allows you to get the complete experience in one go, and obviously at a much lower price than launch prices. More often than not when games get a big DLC/expansion, the vanilla game goes on a deep discount, losing an easy 50% - 75% of the cost. They're also bug free, which they are not at launch.

And what if you're the type to play a SP game once, and then again when all the DLC have arrived? Sucks to figure out that by the time the game's feature complete, it somehow isn't on the Pass anymore. Or that you're not done with it yet, and it vanishing. Or it announcing to get removed in a couple of months, forcing you to play what you didn't intend to play.

- Live service games: a big part of live service games is MTX and other such stuff, and a lot of them are low cost of entry or free. There is literally no reason to pay a separate subscription for it, and if you would, you're still better off buying the game yourself so you don't have to go through several online portals to get going. Also, live service games often take a lot of your time, which you won't be using to play anything else, further reducing the advantage of playing live service within a service with a separately paid subscription fee.

So sure it might make sense to you, but its not sensible in any way financially, or objectively. Its like getting fast food instead of real dinner. Its easy, its lazy, and gets you fed. But it isn't healthy or a great choice, ever. The path for on demand service models is to be like fast food: presented as the cheaper alternative to real food, getting a whole society fat and lazy. We already have a live example in the world of that society, now turning to expensive pills to fight obesity. I refuse that reality, and you should too.

And then I haven't touched on other issues with an on demand service, such as the complete lack of control over what content you get offered, while there are stores full of discounted content around you offering full flexibility, and the result of that lack of control as it removes consumer power because you're no longer buying the games you really want, but rather what you get served. You've basically killed off your own ability to vote for stuff you like and get more of it. Microsoft decides what you vote on, now. That's a comforting thought, isn't it, a near monopolist deciding what you like.

Last year I spent some 300 bucks on games, of which two were new-ish at launch price, and the rest was deeply discounted, indie, or just cheap; some I haven't played yet, others I've finished, and still others are ongoing or things I might return to periodically. But we're not talking 4 games here, or 6. Its more something to the tune of 30 games right there. Owned. Forever mine. Accessible any time for zero. And a collection of games I had full freedom in choosing. Not the ones MS happened to manage to strike a deal with; in fact, overwhelmingly not those.

Last edited:
System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
#makexboxmultiplayerfreeofcharge #paidmultiplayerandnomultiplatformisracketeering

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2
Kind of a slap in the face to their own fans (XBox owners). I wonder how this policy is going to affect future XBox sales?
house hamsters gonna just pay more and proof that consoles rule the world lol:D

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Btw you can run games for free on gamepass and then use the savegames on steam or pirated versions once they are off the list. I did that with a bunch of games.
Game pass games seem to have an issue affecting mods as well, as they seem to use a more restricted mode in windows, I think UWP or something.

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
Yes, so modding is another part of the problem among many many others with Microsoft's DRM and UWP packaging garbage.
If you don't have proper directory permissions to the game, you can't tamper with anything.
If you lose access to the Windows install itself, you can't move the data or remove it either.
Developers that are very anti-modder would benefit immensely from shipping their product in the Microsoft ecosystem yet for some reason they don't do that.
I think something about it must be just as insufferable on the development side for shipping out updates.
Steam does a good enough job with it and they're basically on the hook for the services forever. Makes you think.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
I'm on my second full year for free 'gifted' but I think once that runs out I will just buy keys from a key site anyway. 'that shouldn't get much more expensive and it would still worth it for me probably but I will see when the time comes'
They were about $3 for 1 month of ultimate all last year. They're about $8 now. Wish I would've stacked up way more than I did...

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

Bruh, you played yourself. Ultimate was $16.99( is $19.99)/Mo.

Retail(Full price) for that list is

Gears of War (Windows 10 Edition) 20
Atomic Heart 60
Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes 50
Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising 15
Astria Ascending 35
Sea of Stars 35
Redfall 40

Total: $255 or $21.25/Mo.

You saved a whopping $51 ($15 with current pricing) to end up with nothing. You might say well $50 bucks is $50 bucks but that isn't counting when the games go on sale! Then it's avg discount of 20% to break even at $17/Month.

Running the numbers just put it into perspective how much of a bad deal the hike is.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
Bruh, you played yourself. Ultimate was $16.99( is $19.99)/Mo.

Retail(Full price) for that list is

Gears of War (Windows 10 Edition) 20
Atomic Heart 60
Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes 50
Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising 15
Astria Ascending 35
Sea of Stars 35
Redfall 40

Total: $255 or $21.25/Mo.

You saved a whopping $51 ($15 with current pricing) to end up with nothing. You might say well $50 bucks is $50 bucks but that isn't counting when the games go on sale! Then it's avg discount of 20% to break even at $17/Month.

Running the numbers just put it into perspective how much of a bad deal the hike is.

First off, the price hike hasn't gone into effect for me.

Second, there is not a guarantee that games will go on sale and for how much. There are those that don't exclusively use Steam.

And you didn't read the first post apparently. I don't go back and play through games again; it is one and done for me on single player games. Over half of my existing Steam Library was only installed once, and then when finished, it is removed and not installed again. I don't really care for DLC these days.... I remember when Expansion Packs were a thing.

Also, it seems people have forgotten about Sega Channel. That a precursor to modern game streaming. In my area back then it was like $15/month. So the existing price and even the hike are not all that unreasonable. Game Pass doesn't rotate the games around every month like Sega Channel did. There are games that literally have been available for 4+ years without being removed.

I get it, I am in the minority, but the resulting flaming is ridiculous. I get a lot of use out of it.

And when price increases aren't tenable, they'll insert special ads into the Game Pass version of the games.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I had Gamepass until it forced me to reinstall a Game that was already on my PC. Forza 6 is over 110 GB of data. There is also the fact that almost no popular studio will ever see large Day 1 sales like before. I guess MS buying everyone means that trend will get even worse.