• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC to Raise Wafer Prices by 10% in 2025, Customers Seemingly Agree

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
that's nice and all, if samsung gets their yields right, which they didn't for nvidia on the 6nm node

that and AMD is making plenty on their ryzen chips, they don't need to move to a different manufacturer to be able to lower prices, they don't have to why charge less if you don't have to...

You mean 8nm, the shrink of the mobile technology originally intended for flash chips? Which they paid almost nothing for and sold those gigantic (partially-defective) chips for massive profits?

That's hardly a fair comparison...in-fact it makes no sense. It only shows you how shrewd of a company nVIDIA is when it comes to bargaining.

1. AMD's chips would not need to massive. This isn't Finfet, it's GAAFET (which Samsung has been producing and TSMC will only just start to produce). Lots of stuff that's different, and not comparable at all.
2. This isn't about now, it's about the future. TSMC's costs are going up; this is fact, and allocation on cutting-edge nodes is at a premium that may not satisfy AMD and/or cut them out.

Samsung's price was likely already competitive, but now may be even more-so. It may have to be, especially given there haven't been many (any?) massive orders on new nodes for quite some time (SD8G1?).

Why would a company take a worse DEAL? It's honestly not about the technology; they can build/design around that.

If it was about the best technology nVIDIA would have never used Samsung ever. It's about allocation and profit margin.

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
How are we supposed to cut those into chips when they don't come with grid lines?
Sharpies, white-out, masking tape etc....

When there's a will, there's a way, hahahaha :D

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P

dotjaz

Aren't Samsung nodes known to either consume more power and/or clock lower in comparison to their direct TSMC counterparts? You clearly didn't get the memo. Nobody said anything about DIRECT counterparts. Whatever AMD is releasing in older TSMC nodes, they can release in Samsung CURRENT nodes. For example, AMD could have used Samsung SF4P for the N6 IO die. SF4P is behind N4P by a lot but it's as good as N5 or even N5P if you count SF4P+. They couldn't do anything about N3 in early 2025, but they still have Escher, Strix Halo, Kraken Point to release in 2025 with N4, some of these can be manufactured with SF3 in if it's released in late 2025.

If you look at AMD's chiplets efforts, you will see that they use the older processes - N6, N7, N5, and they don't use the newer N2, N3 and N4.
Which means that AMD could very well use Samsung's corresponding processes (3GAE SF3E, 3GAP SF3, 4LPE SF4E, 4LPP SF4, 4LPP+ SF4P, 4HPC SF4X, 4LPA SF4U, 7LPP, 6LPP), and still get better products than what they currently offer.
Zen 5 is on N4P, Epyc is getting N3. So much for that theory.

I've said for a while:

I truly think AMD should consider moving most of their output to Samsung 2nm. If Samsung can make a smartphone chip for the 2026 Galaxy, they *should* be able to make dang near anything AMD should need...in theory.

Now, I don't know how smoothly that is progressing; the yields nor the pricing, but given how long they will have been on GAAFET by that point (without BSPD), one would *think* yields should be decent, performance comparable to what's available for HPC at TSMC, and pricing advantageous. That's one of the advantages of going chiplet; in theory AMD could sneak into risk production on a node typically reserved for mobile (if they design toward a lower voltage and/or Samsung can produce chips that can take advantage of higher voltage from the beginning and/or close to it).

As I've also said, while when one looks at TSMC's roadmap they see things like N2P etc, remember Apple (if not then nVIDIA) typically has an entire generation on lock. So while some may look at the competitive landscape and question why anyone may use Samsung 2nm when TSMC's N2P/1xA is on the way, I would instead say it is a competitor to N3P. While I can't say for certain if it will have that level of performance/reliability (wrt voltage response), it would appear to be the case wrt at least density. I think that gives AMD, given their already-proven propensity towards parallelism and smaller chips, ntm optimized clocks, room to expand that mindset while perhaps creating more robust inherent hardware running at a lower voltage to maintain a respectful TDP (as nVIDIA has done for quite a while now), rather than continuing the 'higher-speed/smaller die size' GPU methodology.

But, like, IDK. That one guy from AMD (I know, specific and well-sourced...I apologize) said they're sticking with TSMC into the future. That may be that...but I still can't help but feel there's some perfect concoction of what they did with GloFo (really Samsung) 14nm...a 'Zen Moment'...if you will...or Polaris if you won't...mixed with chiplets...on Samsung 2nm. It just 'feels' like a good opportunity for someone to seize. It very-well might not be AMD and may be someone else (like Qualcomm), but I wouldn't rule it out as a realistic, if not tantalizing alternative (and way to keep prices down) versus TSMC.
3nm GAAFET yields are atrociously bad at the moment, like 20%. Good luck with 2nm getting up to speed in a timely manner. Scamsung hype and hype, but rarely deliver.

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
Zen 5 is on N4P, Epyc is getting N3. So much for that theory.

3nm GAAFET yields are atrociously bad at the moment, like 20%. Good luck with 2nm getting up to speed in a timely manner. Scamsung hype and hype, but rarely deliver.

I don't know if that's true anymore? I know 3nm yield WAS at one time bad (although 20% exaggerating quite a bit), but at the same time by all-accounts perf/density were similar to TSMC according to many.

If they set a contract for KGD (which fabs hate but customers love [which may have been the case with nvidia on 8nm...]), or better-than-yield-difference wafer pricing given capacity, does it really matter?

I don't disagree that they have indeed hyped competition with TSMC and never quite delivered on-time, something they addressed at their last briefing. I think they stated something like seven years before parity with TSMC. That said, again, N2 would be not be competition for TSMC's N2(P), but rather again N3P, last-gen finfet versus 3rd/4th-gen GAAFET, not 3rd/4th-gen GAAFET (even if comparatively bad yields/perf versus 1st/2-gen GAAFET).

I know some think it's a foolish notion, but you must understand there HAS to be a reasoning even for something as simple as renaming the node. If that's FOR a customer, to attract customers; I don't know.

All I know is they had three versions of 3nm; assumption being to compete with n3b, n3e, and n3p. Now they have 2, which theoretically compete with n3b and n3e that (almost) nobody used.

The third was renamed to 2nm, and is a new foundation scaling/leading up to BSPD (not unlike TSMC's N2 and then N1x, even though named different nodes at that company).

So again, and I'm not disagreeing nor saying it's entirely likely, simply pointing out the option exists and could (given that in 2026 most will still be using N3P) be an option for products in 2026.

Last I checked, both upcoming GPUs families are expected 4nm; Rubin N3(e/p) in 25/26. Also, one wouldn't expect RDNA5/Zen 6 until H226, which is what makes this feasible (but also possibly late N3P parts).

It's possible, I suppose, AMD may use TSMC N2P/N1x (BSPD) for Zen 6 and/or RDNA5, but I have to question if that will even be an economical option, let-alone a feasible one, given Apple/nVIDIA.

There's also future consoles to consider in 2026 or later; chips based on those same architectures.

Do you feel Sony/MS would want to pay TSMC prices for those chips and/or want to pay to have the design ported to a different fab company? If N3P bc cheaper and/or N2P/N1x unavailable, do they want to have to redesign a shrink for GAAFET throughout the product lifecycle rather than simply shrink it along the evolution of Samsung's 2nm (and beyond, which I would assume would use similar tools)?

I'm not saying the obvious/status-quo solution isn't possible (or even most-likely), only the perhaps unlikely is indeed possible.

Last edited:
I thought WE were the customers, those other guys are just the middle men.

We aren't the customers, not by a long shot. The DIY channel market is a bucket of water in comparison to the OEM, semicustom and B2B oceans out there.

There is competition, these customers should move to Samsung, that is cheaper.

Vote with your wallets. Boycott these shenanigans.

Assuming that prices increase 15% as a result of this price hike by TSMC; all major companies will still happily do business with them and every product in this bleeding edge node will remain desirable. Everyone shall vote with their wallets, just not the way you think they are going to.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
We aren't the customers, not by a long shot. The DIY channel market is a bucket of water in comparison to the OEM, semicustom and B2B oceans out there.
The DIY market is basically a rounding error. Laptops / prebuilts and of course servers is where it's at. There is a reason nobody designs desktop first CPUs.

I can't blame any company for ignoring the desktop but man, one company left a sore taste in my mouth after they convinced anyone they are for the people :D

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15S chromax black/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
The DIY market is basically a rounding error. Laptops / prebuilts and of course servers is where it's at. There is a reason nobody designs desktop first CPUs.

I can't blame any company for ignoring the desktop but man, one company left a sore taste in my mouth after they convinced anyone they are for the people :D

They are ALL for the money. None of them do it for fun, or for us.

TSMC threatens to increase their price...because they want to lock business in with their customers... Is this news? I mean, at this point you're looking at a global supply chain trying to plan for their busiest season in month 7, with expected announcements of Blackwell for late 2024, potentially a new AMD processor line, the holiday season for whatever new tech bauble is cool to sell this year, and a nearly insatiable demand for anything with AI because Nvidia, Intel, and AMD are all racing towards calling themselves software companies instead of hardware companies.

I predict they get most big players onboard with a very small change in price, tout the maximum as their "increased cost" which will be passed onto consumers, and everybody gets a slice of the pie except consumers, who are rapidly paying more for hardware and nobody in their right mind would blame the market...no, it's just what things cost now.

Remind me again. The last 4 years have seen the greatest amount of corporate profit margins increase, which outstripped materials increase because mathematically it had to. IE, you pay 50% more for a thing, which cost the company 20% more in materials. Once you factor the remaining 30%, between previous profit margins and new ones, the company charges 50% more to you but gets about an extra 15% in margins for nothing. It's great to be able to hide a profit margin increase with a "required" cost of materials increase. That way nobody has to admit that an executive gets to walk home richer than the real cost of things increasing would allow.

I may be old...but I remember when we had a 5% increase in the price of steel as a raw material. Weight of each part was calculated, and a 6% increase was added with the stipulation prices would be fixed for 6 months...and boy is that one heck of a good deal. Steel yo-yoed between 4 and 7%...and everybody kept making a profit without having to initiate a price increase every other month. Ahhh, but this was not a billion dollar business...so it's a bit easier to be price conservative.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
the bleeding edge is N3, no info on N2, N7 2% increase by Q1'25, N16 remains unchanged.
but N5 gets 12% increase instead, N3 only by 5% for the entire period 2025-2027.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Aren't they high enough already?

Anyway, if GPU tends in price-to-performance ratio continue, there's not gonna be any point in upgrading in the next 5-7 years for most people, so TSMC can shove their prices where the sun don't shine.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
TSMC decrease 7nm wafer price by 10%

The bleeding edge get more expensive and the common node get cheaper, for the majority of people there is nothing to complain about

Wrong: That was just a temporary dip, 7nm is back up where it was and increasing further later.

1720684344556.png

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I have a ~3700 € stake in TSMC through mutual funds, which, in more common terms, amounts to two nice 4090s. Just a year ago, the same share was worth a single poor 4090. Do I want TSMC to raise prices further every quarter or do I not want that?

ARF

no info on N2

There is plenty of information.

After Samsung announced a major breakthrough in 2nm, securing the first batch of orders from Japanese AI company Preferred Networks, its rival TSMC is also advancing. According to reports from Wccftech and ET News, TSMC is set to begin trial production of 2nm chips next week, which would reportedly be used in the upcoming iPhone 17 lineup in 2025.

Customers like Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm don't care. They can pass the cost on to their customers.

But it may hurt companies who have to compete with the powerful brands (like MediaTek) and whose primary customers are cost-conscious.

ARF

Customers like Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm don't care. They can pass the cost on to their customers.

But it may hurt companies who have to compete with the powerful brands (like MediaTek) and whose primary customers are cost-conscious.

What about the progress? If you compare AMD's 6nm Radeon RX 7600, and a potential RX x600 on 2nm, which would be 150-200% faster, what one would you choose?

What about the computing tasks, the supercomputers, processors and graphics cards which leave so much performance unused on the table?

that's nice and all, if samsung gets their yields right, which they didn't for nvidia on the 6nm node

that and AMD is making plenty on their ryzen chips, they don't need to move to a different manufacturer to be able to lower prices, they don't have to why charge less if you don't have to...

Sadly, Samsung is far from competing with TSMC, their high-end nodes have issues like low yields, lower clocks, and higher power consumption compared to comparable TSMC nodes.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
At this rate, it could well be that China "owning" this would actually be a positive thing. The Taiwanese are more greedy gangsters than the Chinese are!

Last edited:
Reactions: ARF

ARF

The Thais are more greedy gangsters than the Chinese are!

Thais, you mean Thailand? What does Thailand have to do with this?

At this rate, it could well be that China "owning" this would actually be a positive thing.

The Chinese goods that I see in the majority cases are the cheapest goods in the world.
But this is generally true for corporations different from the likes of Huawei, Haier, and others, which do make premium goods.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Thais, you mean Thailand? What does Thailand have to do with this?

The Chinese goods that I see in the majority cases are the cheapest goods in the world.
But this is generally true for corporations different from the likes of Huawei, Haier, and others, which do make premium goods.
It's a spelling mistake caused by autocorrect, and me not checking it. I have corrected it to be proper.

Last edited: