• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Intros 14th Gen Core "E" Embedded Processors with E-cores Disabled

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I feel Intel is very insensitive to the issue surrounding their Raptor Lake CPUs now by introducing new SKUs. The CPUs are unstable, which means it is not functioning properly, which may potentially impact these new SKUs. Without addressing and resolving the existing issue, are they expecting people to buy these?
Unless it's a silent admission that the problem is with the e-cores, and they just want to keep selling something instead of doing a recall. (speculation)

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Can you guys say with 100% certainty, that the ecore are broken or malfunctioning thus being cut out or Intel's decision was not to use them even though they are OK?
I did not see the article say these are broken or defective. Maybe, these are not defective and the reason Intel disables the cluster is different than the obvious one 'defective cores'.

System Name Nebulon B
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can you guys say with 100% certainty, that the ecore are broken or malfunctioning thus being cut out or Intel's decision was not to use them even though they are OK?
I did not see the article say these are broken or defective. Maybe, these are not defective and the reason Intel disables the cluster is different than the obvious one 'defective cores'.
That's equally possible. That's why I wrote "speculation" in brackets. Until Intel does an official announcement, or someone does a thorough investigation, we won't know for sure.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Why would Intel intentionally turn off some cores to sell their product with a lower price? Only reviving defective chips would make sense

Unless it's a silent admission that the problem is with the e-cores, and they just want to keep selling something instead of doing a recall. (speculation)
I am not too sure about it. The ability to disable E-cores is already available. So it is not difficult for reviewers or investigators to find out the issue. Regardless, if Intel is not confirming the issue, all the more people should avoid anything to do with Raptor Lake.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Are these fused off silicon ? or the E-core spaces just empty ?

Fused off.

Silicon that is disabled, but is nevertheless present on the chip and is otherwise fully functional, is a waste of natural resources and a waste of chip manufacturing capacity.

Quite contrary. Chip harvesting allows imperfect processor dies to be sold as otherwise fully functioning processors. If you own a Core i7 or i5, or a Ryzen 5/Ryzen 9 x900 series, you have a harvest in your hands.

I am not too sure about it. The ability to disable E-cores is already available. So it is not difficult for reviewers or investigators to find out the issue.

CPU manufacturing is a very complicated process, and imperfections can be present in any area of the processor. This one has the four e-core clusters and associated L2 cache disabled. What's interesting is that the full L3 slice is enabled on the 14901KE, which may mean that the L3 cache that is normally attribute to an e-core cluster is not necessarily an inherent part of it and can be accessed by the P-cores normally.

Fused off.

Quite contrary. Chip harvesting allows imperfect processor dies to be sold as otherwise fully functioning processors. If you own a Core i7 or i5, or a Ryzen 5/Ryzen 9 x900 series, you have a harvest in your hands.

CPU manufacturing is a very complicated process, and imperfections can be present in any area of the processor. This one has the four e-core clusters and associated L2 cache disabled. What's interesting is that the full L3 slice is enabled on the 14901KE, which may mean that the L3 cache that is normally attribute to an e-core cluster is not necessarily an inherent part of it and can be accessed by the P-cores normally.

If you disable E-cores it negates a bunch of added strain off the Ring by extension because L3 cache is connected with Ring and accessible by the E-cores. I don't believe there is a bios to enable L3 cache access only to P cores or not that I know of on my Asus board at least. I wonder if they could even implement a bios option to limit a ratio of how much access to L3 E-cores can receive if it's creating problems in heavy MT scenario's. The only conclusions I have is these chips are really sensitive in terms of stability given how far they've been pushed and with how many cores they include. Plus there are other outside conditions complicating matters like MB makers defaults adding fuel to the fire.

I tried to dig for a few voltage spec settings in Intel's PDF of 13th/14th gen, but they didn't seem to provided it for L2 cache voltage and cache voltage. It would be nice to know what's minimum, typical, max on those yet I couldn't find those details and I tried.

From all that I have been reading is that intel has pushed intel 7 to hard which is making the k parts rip them selves apart.

wouldnt surprise me one bit that if the p cores were disabled the chips that are crashing now would stop crashing as the e cores aren’t clocked to stupid speeds.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 5600 cl36
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
Mouse Some piece of shit from China
Keyboard Some piece of shit from China
Software Yes Please?
From all that I have been reading is that intel has pushed intel 7 to hard which is making the k parts rip them selves apart.

wouldnt surprise me one bit that if the p cores were disabled the chips that are crashing now would stop crashing as the e cores aren’t clocked to stupid speeds.
ironically, it was the exact opposite for me, the only way I could make my 14700k boot was to disable at least 8 ecores. But thats one anecdotal case and we're hearing so much stuff right now its hard to know what is what.... the failures don't exactly follow a neat pattern. Which is why is we need some communication from intel. All we seem to know for sure is that higher clocks and higher voltages make it worse/speed it up, whatever the root problem is, maybe there's more than one root problem.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
But they're a lot smaller (and maybe denser?) as well, so what doesn't seem like a stupidly high clock speed for p-cores could very well be one for e-cores.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Sure, but as the process matures, yields improve all the time. No one is willing to disclose any specific data, just some relative info like in this example graph (let's assume it's zero-based):

1721634968597.png

And then there are estimates by analysts such as TrendForce:
At present, the production yield rate of Sapphire Rapids is estimated at only 50~60%, which affects mainstream Sapphire Rapids MCC products. [November 2022]
which doesn't tell us the most basic thing - are the bad chips totally unusable, or do they just have a small number of bad cores out of 34?

2.5 years into Intel 7 manufacturing, I'd say it would be very bad for Intel if less than 50% of the CPUs on a Raptor Lake wafer were operative - I mean fully operative, with zero defects. They can't sell that many i9-13900/14900 chips (despite countless suffixes) because those all cost 440€ and up. So they still have to disable some good parts.
The same is true of the other chips in this new series, see my post #42. Interestingly, the two disabled P cores in the 14501E also have their L3 slices inoperative.

the failures don't exactly follow a neat pattern. Which is why is we need some communication from intel. All we seem to know for sure is that higher clocks and higher voltages make it worse/speed it up, whatever the root problem is, maybe there's more than one root problem.
Exactly. I'd even suspect the power delivery system on the chip (and substrate too) first, which would mean that you can't pin the flaw to any of the cores.

Processor Ryzen 9 9950X
Motherboard X670 chipset
Cooling SPC Fera 5
Memory 64 GiB
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage WD Black SN750, Seagate FireCuda 530, Samsung SSD 850 Pro, WD Blue HDD, Seagate IronWolf HDD
Display(s) Samsung (4K, FreeSync)
Power Supply EVGA 750 B5
Mouse Eternico wireless mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core Aqua with Corsair Onyx Black keycaps
Software Linux + KVM

It is extremely unlikely for chip manufacturing defects governed by laws of physics and chemistry to perfectly match (1) AMD/Intel's market segmentation, (2) market demand or (3) distribution of wealth in a society. ---- I mean it in the following sense: If AMD/Intel were serious about conserving Earth's resources and were selling what was manufactured, then for example Intel would be selling a CPU configuration like 5*Pcore + 1*Ecore and AMD would be selling 7*Zen4 CPUs.

Last edited:
System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
It is extremely unlikely for chip manufacturing defects governed by laws of physics and chemistry to perfectly match (1) AMD/Intel's market segmentation, (2) market demand or (3) distribution of wealth in a society. ---- I mean it in the following sense: If AMD/Intel were serious about conserving Earth's resources and were selling what was manufactured, then for example Intel would be selling a CPU configuration like 5*Pcore + 1*Ecore and AMD would be selling 7*Zen4 CPUs.

I agree but once you account for the sheer volume and intended market channels, it lines up. If demand exceeds supply by a significant margin then they will intentionally cap better CPUs to meet spec.

Processor Ryzen 9 9950X
Motherboard X670 chipset
Cooling SPC Fera 5
Memory 64 GiB
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage WD Black SN750, Seagate FireCuda 530, Samsung SSD 850 Pro, WD Blue HDD, Seagate IronWolf HDD
Display(s) Samsung (4K, FreeSync)
Power Supply EVGA 750 B5
Mouse Eternico wireless mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core Aqua with Corsair Onyx Black keycaps
Software Linux + KVM
If demand exceeds supply by a significant margin then they will intentionally cap better CPUs to meet spec.

It is a valid approach. However, there exist alternative approaches.

It is fairly simple in a market economy to correct a demand-exceeds-supply disequilibrium: gradually increase prices in order for demand to match manufacturing capacity.

The other way around: When supply-exceeds-demand, gradually lower prices in order for demand to match manufacturing capacity.

If prices aren't increased/decreased gradually (that is: are increased/decreased sharply) it creates a very high risk of unhealthy oscillations in the economy. For example, search for "prey predator model dampening" in Google Images.

Evrsr

No what you're talking about is OoO not just SMT ~ to disable all possible side channel attacks you'd have to go back to the stone ages!

No OoO exec you can manage, as it is easier to stop speculation for which there is no privilege to access the data. This has already been implemented and the other situations where you don't want speculation for secure processes (memory re-ordering), this can be disabled for those.

With SMT, you can't really run secure processes on shared core and it costs die space and increases complexity. The OS has to make sure to not schedule two processes on the same core, so it quickly looses usefulness. Stuff servers want to run become severely limited, like virtual machines, web servers, encryption, etc.

OoO is also subject to this to some extent but the performance is worth the trouble, as it increases 3, 4 or 5x. I will say the future is looking like multithreading be powered by secure and isolated efficient cores. This is already mostly the case for Intel and ARM.