• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Statement on 13th and 14th Gen Core Instability: Faulty Microcode Causes Excessive Voltages, Fix Out Soon

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Long-term reliability issues continue to plague Intel's 13th Gen and 14th Gen Core desktop processors based on the "Raptor Lake" microarchitecture, with users complaining that their processors have become unstable with heavy processing workloads, such as games. This includes the chips that have minor levels of performance tuning or overclocking. Intel had earlier isolated many of these stability issues to faulty CPU core frequency boosting algorithms, which it addressed through updates to the processor microcode that it got motherboard- and prebuilt manufacturers to distribute as UEFI firmware updates. The company has now come out with new findings of what could be causing these issues.

In a statement Intel posted on its website on Monday (22/07), the company said that it has been investigating the processors returned to it by users under warranty claims (which it has been replacing under the terms of its warranty). It has found that faulty processor microcode has been causing the processors to operate under excessive core voltages, leading to their structural degradation over time. "We have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. Our analysis of returned processors confirms that the elevated operating voltage is stemming from a microcode algorithm resulting in incorrect voltage requests to the processor."

Modern processor power management runs on an intricate clockwork of collaboration between software, firmware, and hardware, with the software constantly telling the hardware what levels of performance it wants, and the hardware managing its power- and thermal budgets by rapidly altering the power and clock speeds of the various components, such as CPU cores, caches, fabric, and other on-die components. A faulty collaboration between any of the three key components could break this clockwork, as has happened in this case.

Intel is releasing yet another microcode update to its 13th- and 14th Gen Core processors, which will address not just the faulty boosting algorithm issue the company unearthed in June, but also the faulty voltage management the company discovered now. This new microcode should be released some time around mid-August to partners (motherboard manufacturers and PC OEMs), who will then need to validate it on their machines, before passing it along to end-users as UEFI firmware updates.

Intel is delivering a microcode patch which addresses the root cause of exposure to elevated voltages. We are continuing validation to ensure that scenarios of instability reported to Intel regarding its Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors are addressed. Intel is currently targeting mid-August for patch release to partners following full validation. Intel is committed to making this right with our customers, and we continue asking any customers currently experiencing instability issues on their Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance, the company stated.

It's important to note here, that the microcode update won't fix the issues on processors already experiencing instability, but prevent it on chips that aren't. The instability is caused by irreversible physical degradation of the chip. These chips will, of course, be covered under warranty.

Meanwhile, an interesting issue has come to light, which that some of Intel's processors built on the Intel 7 node are experiencing chemical oxidation of the die as they age. Intel responded to this, stating that it had discovered the oxidation manufacturing issues in 2023, and addressed it. The company also stated that die oxidation is not related to the stability issues it is embattled with.

We can confirm that the via Oxidation manufacturing issue affected some early Intel Core 13th Gen desktop processors. However, the issue was root caused and addressed with manufacturing improvements and screens in 2023. We have also looked at it from the instability reports on Intel Core 13th Gen desktop processors and the analysis to-date has determined that only a small number of instability reports can be connected to the manufacturing issue, the company stated.

If you feel your chip might be affected, you can file for an RMA.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x-5600x | 9600k
Motherboard B450 AORUS M | Z390 UD
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action | AIO
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB) | Samsung DDR4 (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW | Sapphire PULSE RX 590
Storage Various
Display(s) Pixio PX279 Prime
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT | Black bench
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W | EVGA 700 Gold
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
If its a hardware issue like GN have suggested to by a failure analysis lab, then how exactly is a microcode update going to fix it? seem like a non-sequitur to me.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I warned about AMD
So amd overvolted their 3d chips in order to compete turning them into handgrenades and then Intel overvolted theirs resulting in crashes. Lovely market, competition is great

voltages too high.
Voltage alone shouldn't be killing these cpu's, not when they're being run at 125w baseline specs in a server environment.
If its a hardware issue like GN have suggested to by a failure analysis lab, then how exactly is a microcode update going to fix it? seem like a non-sequitur to me.
Intel admitted there was oxidization in 2023 with early raptor lake but didn't bring it up then, it seems like Intel wants to postpone the issue, if intel wants to delay cpu's failing until they are out of warranty then that is even more concerning.
IMO the way Intel handled this could've went much better, instead of blaming motherboard makers and waiting months to say what the real issue is, I'm looking forward to 3rd party failure analysis from GN.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Voltage alone shouldn't be killing these cpu's, not when they're being run at 125w baseline specs in a server environment.
Why not? Of course voltage alone can kill the chip even at super low power draw. Ive actually tested it.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Excessive voltage alone can most certainly kill transistors. I mean, what else would it take? Aliens?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
So amd overvolted their 3d chips in order to compete turning them into handgrenades and then Intel overvolted theirs resulting in crashes. Lovely market, competition is great

In the race to performance, it seems nobody's innocent of cutting corners. Who'd a thunk it?

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
The last time some chip common in PC died prematurely and en-masse...Was that the Deathstar? To more or less the same direct cause of silicon degradation too.

I'm somehow under the impression that the outrage was louder back then.

Indeed both sides have cut corners to win benchmarks, but Intel have been doing it much longer, they've finally been caught pushing things too hard though.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Intel is desperately trying to make this go away but it's not going to, and the more they try to bury it the worse it's gonna be. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC gets involved now that GN has publicised this problem. Even if they don't, you can bet there will be a class-action lawsuit.

This, exactly this. "Let's clock our CPUs to the bleeding edge to squeeze out a few more points in a benchmark because we are intellectually bankrupt and incapable of building an actually good product" is by far the most stupid race to the bottom that I've yet seen in my 25+ years of PC hardware experience, and I've seen a lot of stupidity. I'm glad it backfired on AMD and I'm glad it's backfiring on Intel, because it seems that getting hit in the wallet is the only way these companies will learn to not do stupid shit like this. BUILD. BETTER. PRODUCTS.

The question is, will the CPU retain the performance characteristics once the voltage is dropped? or was it just enough to keep the CPUs in the top of the benchmarks for long enough to compete with current/next gen CPUs and the quietly drop the voltage and the performance when reviewers stop looking and retesting?

Excessive voltage alone can most certainly kill transistors. I mean, what else would it take? Aliens?
If it is due to excessive voltage, then it must be a reason why Intel delayed moving from 10nm for so long. I'd like to see reviewers test this microcode if it is a real fix or Intel trying to avoid a recall, but since it took a year and a half for failures to show up it would have to be a long term test.
A lot of ifs here but I personally have very little trust for Intel after they've been shifting the blame for too long.

Last edited:
System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Intel is desperately trying to make this go away but it's not going to, and the more they try to bury it the worse it's gonna be. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC gets involved now that GN has publicised this problem. Even if they don't, you can bet there will be a class-action lawsuit.

This, exactly this. "Let's clock our CPUs to the bleeding edge to squeeze out a few more points in a benchmark because we are intellectually bankrupt and incapable of building an actually good product" is by far the most stupid race to the bottom that I've yet seen in my 25+ years of PC hardware experience, and I've seen a lot of stupidity. I'm glad it backfired on AMD and I'm glad it's backfiring on Intel, because it seems that getting hit in the wallet is the only way these companies will learn to not do stupid shit like this. BUILD. BETTER. PRODUCTS.
The product is fine. Great I'd argue. 13th gen is a massive uptick over 12th gen in Mt performance at same power, within a year. That's huge. The problem is they pushed for that last 0.8% of performance that doesn't make any difference.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
The question is, will the CPU retain the performance characteristics once the voltage is dropped? or was it just enough to keep the CPUs in the top of the benchmarks for long enough to compete with current/next gen CPUs and the quietly drop the voltage and the performance when reviewers stop looking and retesting?
Probably not, or they wouldn't have done it in the first place.

"Quietly drop the voltage and performance when reviewers stop looking" would be actual fraud.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I was under the impression that voltage is a lesser evil compared to amperage but after putting my chip through some tests, voltage alone kills chips even at very low amperages

Performance, after the patch fix, shouldn't be negatively affected at all. Those CPUs will still run hot afterwards - if you choose that.

What will be the case, however, is damaged CPUs. It is an over-voltage well beyond any overclocking needs. The excessive voltage will have generated extreme hot spots that cooked small parts of the die. Intel is up for mailing out a lot of free replacements. But that will be after the patch is deployed.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
I was under the impression that voltage is a lesser evil compared to amperage but after putting my chip through some tests, voltage alone kills chips even at very low amperages

They are all related.... Ohm's Law. As you increase voltage and resistance stays the same, amperage (current) goes up. Too much voltage will definitely kill chips and produce more heat in the process. Ahhh the smell of a burning chip and the magic smoke that follows upon death.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
If it is due to excessive voltage, then it must be a reason why Intel delayed moving from 10nm for so long. I'd like to see reviewers test this microcode if it is a real fix or Intel trying to avoid a recall, but since it took a year and a half for failures to show up it would have to be a long term test.
Obviously it doesn't affect all CPUs. It took as long as it did because the problem is unknown. If Intel publishes enough data so people can replicate it, verifying the fix could be done much sooner than another 18 months.

A sad day, for sure. But really not surprising at all. I mean, we've had CPU firmware since the P4 FDIV bug, precisely to address these problems without having to replace the CPUs. And CPUs were much simpler back in P4 days. And yes, we've had numerous problems since, only they are usually more obvious and a firmware update can make them go away reliably. And sometimes they're worse.

The last time some chip common in PC died prematurely and en-masse...Was that the Deathstar? To more or less the same direct cause of silicon degradation too.

I'm somehow under the impression that the outrage was louder back then.
Nvidia Bumpgate ~2008. Permanently ruined their relationship with Apple. Nvidia blamed TSMC for it.