• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Statement on 13th and 14th Gen Core Instability: Faulty Microcode Causes Excessive Voltages, Fix Out Soon

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Even if it is just a re-calibrated microcode that's missing the processors have been running at an over-voltage for quite a while now, I wonder if material is still the same/good (semiconductor and connections).
Assuming Intel's assessment is correct, all affected models will have (some) shortened lifespan due to higher than normal wear, but by how much will depend not only on the CPU's load but also variations in silicon quality. This is probably why it's been taking so long to pinpoint the underlying "problem". But I assume the vast majority will not notice anything, but you wouldn't know until symptoms appear, whether your sample have 90% or 1% lifespan left (at least not without some diagnostics).

That's crazy cause I haven't had a single crash
You may have a CPU of higher silicon quality. Relax and enjoy it ;)

-----

While there are many theories in circulation, and many have their suspicions about Intel's explanation, theirs is the most logical explanation to date. But time will tell. I've too have followed the coverage from news sites, Level1techs, GamersNexsus and others, and while I think thorough third-party investigation is more than welcome (perhaps even necessary), they should make sure to have the right (engineering) expertise to assess it properly (possibly even request hardware debugging tools and data about silicon quality?).
It has been suggested that about half of affected CPUs may be fixed with firmware, but let's dismiss that one outright; if there is (for any reason) abnormal wear, no firmware will reverse that. The fixed firmware will (presumably) avoid further abnormal wear.
Also various estimates of rates of completely defective CPUs of 20%, 50% or even ~99%, which I highly doubt.

aytokpatop

The question is, will the CPU retain the performance characteristics once the voltage is dropped? or was it just enough to keep the CPUs in the top of the benchmarks for long enough to compete with current/next gen CPUs and the quietly drop the voltage and the performance when reviewers stop looking and retesting?
very unlikely

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Did anyone bring popcorn?
I've just completed a long drive and have some catching up to do. Back to page one.

System Name Coffeelake the Zen Destroyer
Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
Cooling Cooled by EK
Memory RGB DDR4 4133MHz CL17-17-17-37
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti to future GTX 1180Ti
Storage SAMSUNG 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27VQ to ROG SWIFT PG35VQ
Case Cooler Master HAF X Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Power Supply COOLER MASTER 1KW Gold
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming
Software MICROSOFT Redstone 4
Benchmark Scores Cine Bench 15 single performance 222
These articles are funny as their is nothing wrong with their chips as it's a bad May Bios upgrade from all manufacturers.

Then it says Intel update fix is August??? MSI gave that fix June 20th!

My 7 months old Motherboard.

I'm a proud owner of both 14900K & 14900KS systems with zero issues. The real problem is people have no clue what they're doing and just easyer to play the blame game.

13900K have been out for 18 months until the bad MAY Bios upgrade.

Very unfortunate what's happening in this falling apart would.

Cheers

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
"It has found that faulty processor microcode has been causing the processors to operate under excessive core voltages, leading to their structural degradation over time."
So if the excessive core voltage degraded the CPU, then HTF is a microcode update going to fix those degraded chips like..?

• Users should be able to get a damaged CPU exchanged but will still end with lower performing parts than what was reviewed.
  • Bar any wierd OS or atypical setup, the microcode will be delivered and then pushed to the CPU at every boot. You don't need EUFI updates.
  • Eh, then you didnt get what you paid for. At that point I would expect a voucher or cash in addition to the replacement CPU.
  • The code has to be written to the CPU, or at least the bios. As having it in the OS is not a fix.

Last edited:

Visible Noise

Intel is also enforcing with MB vendors that they cannot overclock CPUs without the users permission. Reining in MB “enhancements” being on by default.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
No company wants to recall if they can avoid it - no doubt there is a legal / numbers game that decides on certain things.
Last time Intel had to recall CPUs in public domain in same way was the Pentium FPU bug I mentioned earlier.... they handled that quite badly actually (initially they knew but didn't mention it until public knowledge forced them to acknowledge the errata, then you could only get a replacement if you could prove you were impacted by it* until eventually pressure forced them to offer replacement to all), although to be fair back in the day this was a rarer event and I don't think many companies were quite geared up for the fall out not providing worthwhile RMA warranty support would bring.

* Kinda ridiculous as you have no way of knowing if some soon to be released software might trigger the issue repeatedly after the warranty has lapsed...
Are you referring to the Pentium FDIV bug back in the 90s? I was actually affected by this. My first ever PC, sporting a blisteringly fast Pentium 90 MHz and the legendary Intel Plato motherboard.

"It has found that faulty processor microcode has been causing the processors to operate under excessive core voltages, leading to their structural degradation over time."
So if the excessive core voltage degraded the CPU, then HTF is a microcode update going to fix those degraded chips like..?
Intel make no reference to structural degradation in the statement on their website. They only talk about instability, a fault in the algorithm and the microcode update fixing the algorithm. Intel microcode updates are delivered as BIOS updates by their motherboard partners. The 'leading to their structural degradation over time' is an editorial comment.

The instability referenced is described as "...reported system instability issues such as OS/Application errors, crashes, hangs, and BSOD on boards and systems with 13th and 14th generation Intel K SKU (unlocked) processors are the signs/symptoms of the affected units". The 'affected units' means "...all K SKUs of 13th and 14th Generation Core Processors (i5, i7 and i9)" source: Intel.

Last edited:
System Name Machine XX
Processor Ryzen 7600
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RX5700XT 8Gb
Storage 280GB Optane 900p
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 11
Intel have been running very high voltages for boost clocks for a very long time, now they are up at 1.525v on some 14th gen chips, I think they just kept pushing and pushing until now something is broken, thats an insane number for 10nm. the last intel chips to use over 1.5v was a pentium 4.

I find it very suspicious that intel suddently had 4 different issues, I think they are trying to act like its 4 different issues with most of them fixable, while they release patches that limit the damage and hope users think its fixed until its past the warranty. I think they are going to limit boost clock times a lot, so its only there for a much lower time, that way they can say "peak performance" was not reduced.

System Name Cocogoat
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.425V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Intel make no reference to structural degradation in the statement on their website. They only talk about instability, a fault in the algorithm and the microcode update fixing the algorithm. Intel microcode updates are delivered as BIOS updates by their motherboard partners. The 'leading to their structural degradation over time' is an editorial comment.

The instability referenced is described by Intel as "...reported system instability issues such as OS/Application errors, crashes, hangs, and BSOD on boards and systems with 13th and 14th generation Intel K SKU (unlocked) processors are the signs/symptoms of the affected units". The 'affected units' means "...all K SKUs of 13th and 14th Generation Core Processors (i5, i7 and i9)".

Well, the processors affected remain affected even if you install them on another motherboard, so that electrical/physical damage has occurred is pretty much a given. If your CPU has become crash happy due to this issue, an RMA seems to be the only solution. The chips will need to be discarded and replaced with new ones.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome (v2) : Now more global, because CPUs can overclock themselves to death by being on stock/recommended settings :D

Cause : Greed (as always), but how do we got here ?

Intel HQ some years ago :
Boss : How to increase profitability/margins ?
Director : Why bother limiting Vcore to "reasonable" levels ?
Push sucker to max and get as much dies validated as "OK" (less wasted dies = better profits), top die quality stuff may even do 6GHz !
Which means there is possibly for even higher prices, and very good marketing opportunity.
Engineer #1 : Sure, that's doable. There will be higher power usage (than necessary), which will mean more expensive cooling and VRMs will be required for end user... but what about longevity ?
Director : Any safeguards and mitigations we can do to mitigate those cons on our part ?
Engineer #2 : We could limit power consumption artificially in BIOS by adding long term and short term power limits (no more power hungry CPUs [s but not really /s]), and prevent very fast CPU degradation by limiting current going through it (decreasing chances of worst scenario occurring when very high voltage and max. temperature are being experienced by CPUs at the same time).
Director : Genius idea - I like it. Our technology process is best in industry, and we never failed to deliver new process technology on time.
So, with those safeguards in place we should be set. Let's do it !
Engineer #3 : But... is this... is this enough safeguards ?
Engineer #2 : Both power and temperatures are covered, so I guess... they all still need to be implemented by MB manufacturers ?
Director #2 : That's their job. If someone wants to run without them we can add those options (being OC friendly company we are and all).
Boss : Enough chit-chat. Do not forget to put everything important into datasheets, so that we are covered if any motherboard manufacturer does anything stupid.
All : Sure thing boss !

Disclaimer : This is fictional story, above does not represent how things work at Intel, and I'm not and never were Intel employee.

Last edited:
System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1
Software Windows 11 Home
Last edited: