• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Law Firm Investigates Class Action Suit Over Intel's Unstable 13th/14th Gen CPUs

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
Law firm, Abington Cole + Ellery, is investigating a potential class action lawsuit against Intel due to instability issues in their 13th and 14th Gen CPUs. Intel has acknowledged the problem, stating that elevated operating voltage caused by a microcode algorithm is resulting in instability. While Intel promises a patch, it won't prevent damage already done to affected chips.

Intel has offered to replace damaged CPUs, which could potentially undermine the basis for a lawsuit if the company is honoring this commitment effectively. However, user experiences with Intel's RMA service vary widely, with some reporting smooth replacements and others facing delays or complications. Intel claims to support all affected customers, including those with tray processors, but advises contacting system vendors for pre-built systems.

Abington Cole + Ellery has launched a webpage highlighting the potential class action lawsuit against the computer chip giant. They are requesting affected individuals to submit their information through an online form here.

The effectiveness and value of such class actions for consumers remain questionable. A previous case against Nvidia over GTX 970 VRAM issues resulted in a mere $30 settlement per card for US residents. Meanwhile, users with affected Intel CPUs are advised to lower voltage and clock speeds until the microcode update is released, a less-than-ideal solution for high-end processors.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
They smell money.
Or blood in the water.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Intel just needs to pull a crowstrike and give a voucher of some sort. There, settlement.

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
They smell money.
Or blood in the water.
The show must go on..
tumblr_fba8347f49be75ff63acced7bf5c20e8_ce560fae_400.gif

Intel has been continually deluding itself regarding the awful state of their company. Lawyers must be salivating over potential lawsuits since Intel won’t provide even a hint of culpability even in the face of clear evidence of its malfeasance.

Took these vultures longer than expected.

I honestly thought at this point they'd wait these two weeks for Intel "fix" and see if there are still enough customers - as far as I know users that are denied RMA are rare - but that could be just an appearance.

And I don't think Intel owes you anything even if you had to change your CPU every two weeks.

And after Intel releases this fix, the basis for class action suit could change, and you could be entitled to a compensation for a difference in performance of advertised and fixed CPU? $5 - $15 per customer, if you are US citizen, of course?

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I honestly thought at this point they'd wait these two weeks for Intel "fix" and see if there are still enough customers - as far as I know users that are denied RMA are rare - but that could be just an appearance.

And I don't think Intel owes you anything even if you had to change your CPU every two weeks.

And after Intel releases this fix, the basis for class action suit could change, and you could be entitled to a compensation for a difference in performance of advertised and fixed CPU? $5 - $15 per customer, if you are US citizen, of course?
As I said in the other thread on this topic, this is not just an in-warranty period problem. You can't just say that if Intel accepts warranty replacements within warranty period that there is nothing left to litigate.
Problem is, as Der8auer pointed out, Intel has stated that degradation is continually occurring. According to Intel's own words, the damage is being done; even if not yet apparent. So, this hurts consumers when the product fails prematurely beyond the warranty period. As he said, this is a problem which opens Intel to litigation. If you accept fault for something which hurts consumers, with a big enough group impacted, it's kind of unavoidable that legal action will occur.
Intel said they won't recall the product or extend the warranty. They are now in a corner, if they don't concede.

Intel is soooo f....ed atm. It's not only the retail being effected it's also big data centers that are having stability problems with last gen CPUs according to PC world sources.

System Name Dumpster PC MAX Edition
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
Cooling AMD Wraith Spire Stock Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3070 Founder's Edition
Storage Crucial 2.5" SATA 1TB + Samsung 990 EVO 1TB + ADATA SU750 1TB
Display(s) Acer EK271U Ebiip 27" 2K QHD (2560 x 1440) 100Hz LED
Case Fractal Design North (Black)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro 2nd Generation
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart 600W
Mouse E-Waste Dell Mouse
Keyboard Keychron K10 Pro
Software Windows 11 (Latest Release)
There we go. Took them a goddamn while.

Still dunno if this controversy is gonna crater Intel as a company, but hopefully, it doesn't. AMD needs competition as much as anyone else, after all.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 12900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
As I said in the other thread on this topic, this is not just an in-warranty period problem. You can't just say that if Intel accepts warranty replacements within warranty period that there is nothing left to litigate.
Problem is, as Der8auer pointed out, Intel has stated that degradation is continually occurring. According to Intel's own words, the damage is being done; even if not yet apparent. So, this hurts consumers when the product fails prematurely beyond the warranty period. As he said, this is a problem which opens Intel to litigation. If you accept fault for something which hurts consumers, with a big enough group impacted, it's kind of unavoidable that legal action will occur.
Intel said they won't recall the product or extend the warranty. They are now in a corner, if they don't concede.
That might be the law (really don't know) but it kinda sounds absurd to me. Say you have a cpu that died prematurely (just after warranty), could you then claim that it's caused by the high vsoc voltage problem that occurred on its early days before the patches fixed that? How do you even prove such a thing?

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 512+512+1+2+2+2+2+6+500+256+4+4+4
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
That might be the law (really don't know) but it kinda sounds absurd to me. Say you have a cpu that died prematurely (just after warranty), could you then claim that it's caused by the high vsoc voltage problem that occurred on its early days before the patches fixed that? How do you even prove such a thing?

Proof could be built but i think the process costs an arm and nobody can afford it.

By the time class action lawsuit about processors dying outside of warranty could be resolved you would be talking about years old product, and with the inflation now you would be arguing that fault caused that an outdated cheap product died outside the time period Intel guarantees it's functioning. Not really a strong claim.

I'm more interested, in two weeks time, how low can Intel actually bring the voltage, power to combat degradation, and still claim that that's all the performance you were sold, everything above that was motherboard maker's overclocking?

Reminds me a bit of: "Der8auer: Only Small Percentage of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs Hit Their Advertised Speeds" debacle. AMD has after a couple of months released the microcode that improved the situation, but we were told that advertised frequencies "depend", they are "up to", you're not really guaranteed any of the info printed on the product boxes, let alone published in various reviews.

It's not a criminal case. It's a civil suit. And the key point from ty_ger's post, "If you accept fault for something which hurts consumers, with a big enough group impacted...". That's how class action suits get started. It's up to a judge or jury to decide what's absurd and if anyone is damaged significantly. By the way, civil suits do not require unanimous jury decisions. Just majority.

More information at Videocardz.
Intel's Raptor Lake CPU instability sparks class action lawsuit investigation - VideoCardz.com

Also it looks like GamersNexus will have an update and they don't look very happy with Intel judging by their tweet.

1722522995683.png

GamersNexus on X: "Intel is unbelievably slimy. Multi-part report soon." / X

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Intel just needs to pull a crowstrike and give a voucher of some sort. There, settlement.

It's going to have to be a big voucher to cover the loss of revenue as a result of failing CPUs.

Alderon Games is on record (they've made multiple posts on the Intel reddit as well) stating that Intel was very actively denying RMAs prior to the disclosure of the issue. RMA's in general are not a good remedy for an issue like this unless you are Intel. Individual customers do not have a lot of power and often are silent about their problems. By not doing a recall it allows Intel to have all the power over customers and it forces all failures and information about those failure through them. This is even assuming a customer is aware of said issues (or issues if you include oxidation problems) as Intel has not made any attempt to make a public announcement (reddit and forum posts are not nearly adequate).

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The more people that know about the issue the better, it's like the Iphone slow down, most people knew their phone was acting slow or weird but were probably blaming something else. Uneducated Intel users are probably blaming games, GPUs, windows, etc... when really it's Intel and their vendors selling faulty chips with bad settings.

OK, but this is a deliberate flaw on Intel's part to present itself as a performance leader. This is not an inadvertent bug.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Yeh! Give me that Uber voucher because i never use the taxi! :D

the bad motherboard code that intel allowed motherboard manufacturers to release..... rapidly accelerated the CPU degradation of these chips!

D

Deleted member 229121

I'm sure owners of 13/14th gen chips will be giddy when they get their $4.38 check from this...

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 41
Intel stock is going down. Question remains, when to buy

More information at Videocardz.
Intel's Raptor Lake CPU instability sparks class action lawsuit investigation - VideoCardz.com

Also it looks like GamersNexus will have an update and they don't look very happy with Intel judging by their tweet.

View attachment 357170
GamersNexus on X: "Intel is unbelievably slimy. Multi-part report soon." / X

Steve talking about Intel being slimy like it's a new thing. I was there selling PC's in the 2000's. I know just how unbelievably slimy and downright dishonest Intel is from those days. Sadly they haven't really changed.

I still bought their CPU's during the Centrino/Sandy bridge era and dusting off a 4790K as we speak, even recommended some 13600K's for some but if I can get equal performance/power from their competitor I wouldn't get Intel.

Before someone jumps in and says 'ohhh nvidia and amd are just as bad' then sure you're entitled to your opinion and none of them are saints. I'm just basing off what i've experienced myself. Intel were caught and charged with the same offense, only that they are still being slimy and not handing out the payouts. For decades.

Looking forward to this investigation.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
if those 13/14 gen can't be fixed by any possible way, intel must recall it all... but of course not only recall for RMA process instead refunding it all, and it will be impact for all of intel partner, cuz what for if customer still keeping their useless mainboard, it will be a really big dominno problem.

in bigger picture I think we might say the 13/14 gen is totally failed for now ?

This will only lead to 30$ refund and millions of dollars in lawyer fee's. Only winners? Lawyers.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
funny thing is, I finally thought I had an upgrade path with Intel, currently on a 12600k....guess not.