• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Puget Systems Releases CPU Failure Report: AMD CPUs Achieve Higher Failure Rate Than Intel 13th and 14th Generation

So Puget has an 80/20 split, but claims their AMD failures are worse, any failures they have in 20% vs 80% needs more data than they're providing, I'd like to see at least a timeline and what Ryzen cpu's failed the most.
I would have to guess Puget did thorough testing on finding more stable power settings, although with the conflict of interest I wonder if Intel quietly told them lower power settings would decrease failure rates, given Intel didn't admit to any issues happening since 2022 until Level1techs and GN reported on workstations and servers crashing.
Why Puget is using K sku's is a good question, they're running them at lower settings anyway so a K cpu is unnecessary, unless its due to marketing specs.

Yeah good point, though I wonder what made them check if their settings were closer to base Intel specs. Did Puget do internal testing to find if certain cpus were failing sooner?
K SKU still has higher ST clocks, their custom settings don't affect ST, and they don't even affect MT clocks that much. They are touching the PL, not the clocks. with their settings, a locked CPU would still be slower compared to one using the MB default specs. Even Apple has favored K SKU when they don't allow OC.

Puget has been criticizing the motherboard's default setting before RPL. And they did the same with AMD systems:
Why Do Hardware Reviewers Get Different Benchmark Results? | Puget Systems
AMD Ryzen 7950X: Impact of Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) on Thermals and Content Creation Performance | Puget Systems

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
2. Why would Puget honour warranty claims on fine, working CPUs?
Right. Upget, or any other vendor, or Intel themself. Intel extended the warranty but didn't clarify how much degradation is necessary to consider a CPU bad, and eligible for an RMA. Processors are only guaranteed to run at their base clock, right?

DTheSleepless

I'm going to regret posting this, I just know it.

It's very easy to cry bias, and the irony is that a lot of the blame should fall on the news sites that are posting misleading clickbait headlines. This is really shoddy reporting on TPU's part and they should be ashamed of themselves. Because here's the part that's missing from the headline

Puget Systems Releases CPU Failure Report: AMD CPUs Achieve Higher Failure Rate Than Intel 13th and 14th Generation*​

*When the Intel chips are using Puget's extremely conservative power and voltage settings instead of the stock spec Intel released. And also the Intel chips fail more frequently in the field. And Puget expects field failures to start piling up.

Several years ago, when I was still press, I reviewed boxes from Puget Systems, I was privy to some of their failure tracking data, and I had multiple conversations with people there. There's a reason Puget's blog is as good as it is, that they basically invented the standardized Adobe benchmark (among others), etc. Puget Systems is extremely data driven. If you look at the hardware configurations they offer vs. almost any other US-based integrator, you'll find very few options for brand or model on non-CPU components. Their validation processes are the strictest I've seen.

And then having jumped the fence and product managed PC components and systems, I'm willing to bet Puget was doing their own stringent testing and validation, probably alarmed at some of the things they saw, and having closed door conversations with Intel. Because that's what typically happens: if you see a problem, you work behind the scenes with the vendor to try and fix the problem rather than putting them on blast. Jon Bach being on Intel's advisory board means he gets to be in the room and say "hey, this is stupid, you guys shouldn't do this and here's why." Giving up that seat would achieve nothing.

Intel's been on the back foot for a few generations now, throwing power specs out the window in order to get the coveted top performance spots in reviews. AMD did this to a lesser extent with Ryzen 7000; almost doubling 7950X's stock power consumption got them enough extra percentage points in performance to eke out wins. And we've seen that if you cap AMD and Intel TDP to a more reasonable power limit like 125W, AMD barely sheds any performance while Intel takes a sizable hit.

Everyone wants to cry nefarious and point an accusatory finger at Puget, but to me the most disappointing thing has been the clickbait headlines from otherwise reputable news sources and rampant conspiracy-mongering because most people don't have visibility into how this stuff actually works. Puget's doing their due diligence here; they obviously don't want sales harmed, and they want to take care of their customers, so they're releasing a statement and releasing data. FFS, they don't even mention AMD in their headline or in the first few paragraphs.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
For me it's now a wait and see even with CPUs. Let the early adopters be the Beta testers. Might not do any good because it took a long time for the Intel issues to come to light but it couldn't hurt to be a little cautious anyway.

Processors are only guaranteed to run at their base clock, right?

That was the bottom line when Der8auer showed in his poll that many Ryzen 3000 CPUs don't achieve their rated boost clock - because it is "up to", "depending" etc. AMD has then prepared microcode that remedied the situation somehow, but nobody checked if the subsequent bios changes broke that, if later generations share the same problem...

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I'm convinced newer CPUs are either just being pushed too close to their silicon limits or modern, smaller process nodes are causing problems on a scale that we never used to see with the old double-digit nanometre nodes.
You might be right here. And people keep inventing ways to compress stuff more. Just wait for QLC DRAM!

What an ugly thing, how low.
Instead of fixing its own mistakes, Intel is pointing out AMD's false mistakes.

The graph uses percentages...

They follow Intel's guidelines as best as they can. That's what Intel should mandate from the start instead of auto-OCing all their CPUs from the start.
That reminds me how "press" and "scientists" used relative percentages to scare monger about saturated fats while absolute values were not that high(2% risk with low fat diet vs 4% risk with saturated fats in diet of developing high cholesetrol). So yeah want to see absolute figures.

59xxu2mug4351.jpg

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
They don't seem to be married to Intel. On all of their product pages, AMD comes first. But, as they aren't AMD exclusive, they certainly make most of their income by selling Intel. Nobody ever got fired for buying Intel - that still holds true, I believe.
I guess the letter 'A' comes before the letter 'I'. :D
If anyone needs more horror stories: Puget vice president is an MBA!
He's Made By AMD? The shock! The horror! :p

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
As a matter of fact, they did publish failure rates before. But whatever happened with 11th gen didn't blew up as much as the raptor lake stuff, Puget was probably forced to make an article about that people their customers who choosed an Intel workstation crapped their pants. (especially since RPL was the recommended CPU for video editing, motion design, and photo editing this time around)

View attachment 357592

AHA! Interesting. I guess in that older chart 11th gen was failing in shop, so customers weren't really affected. I also see 5000 going from 0.77% to close to 2% in 3 years which is not bad. 1.3% failures in 2-3 years are not bad. The same can be said about the 11th gen, so even that series seems to be fine with shop fails probably meaning that maybe Puget doesn't do everything right. Have we considered this? Puget also not being the best system builder, that's why shop failures are high?
13th and 14th gen are different because we expect failure rates in the field to skyrocket.

Right. Upget, or any other vendor, or Intel themself. Intel extended the warranty but didn't clarify how much degradation is necessary to consider a CPU bad, and eligible for an RMA. Processors are only guaranteed to run at their base clock, right?
You got got :pimp:
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
Without even reading this thread I can tell you Puget are Intel homers.

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm
Memory Kingston Renegade RGB, 32GB 2x2x16GB, DDR5, 6400MHz, CL32
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC 24GB
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade Gen.4, 4TB, NVMe, M.2.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ, 47.5", 4K, OLED, 138Hz, 0.1 ms, G-SYNC
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight 2
Keyboard Logitech G213 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 23H2
Wrong. In any case, the CPUs choose the clocks, not the user, depending on the load, and by default on Intel CPUs it goes way higher than base (the base frequency is the average frequency the CPU can sustain in a specific Intel benchmark at TDP, and Intel doesn't recommend using the TDP as a power limit).

The affected Intel CPUs become unstable at those high frequencies, frequencies that they boost to automatically, so the base frequency is irrelevant. Anyway, from my RMA experience for my 13900KF, Intel accepts the RMA if you experience instability with a recent MB BIOS and the Intel defaults enabled in the BIOS.

As for people talking about CPUs being stable in stress tests at low voltages, that's normal. In a stress test usually all cores are busy, so you hit the power limit, that limits the maximum frequency, and lower frequencies don't need high voltages. The best way to test for stability issues at high frequencies is to run single core benchmarks/tests, that are not limited by power limits.

Later edit: I would refrain from running any single core tests, including RAM tests, until the new microcode is released, as running such tests might increase the risk of damage to your CPU.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
The graph of CPU-failures per month, does that mean less than 15 total failures, or are we talking about thousands? Because if so, it seems like they are building about a few hundred systems per month, which isn’t a whole lot, but still makes it a valid data point.

Yes lacks context, for example might be using 10 times more AMD CPU's than Intels.
The first graph shows failure reate, which is a relative number ;)

Note the "shop" vs "field" difference. AMD CPUs fail more often in their shop when they are trying to apply their own overclocking or whatever, Intel CPUs fail more in the field ie. when used by users. AMD has a lot lower failure rates in the field, where they fail more is when Puget Systems are setting them up.
What about the elephant in the room; high failure rates in the shop. If I where having such high failure rates I would investigate whether these are DoA, unstable or damaged during assembly.

So yeah, damage control.
Why are many of you down the conspiracy route? At the very least there is clear evidence of confirmation bias here.
We’ve had several claims of >20%, 50% or even close to 100% failure rates without any real data to back it up. This is at least one data point, although it’s not enough to draw conclusions. What we need are data from the large systems integrators like Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. or at the very least the medium sized ones. Also keep in mind that systems integrators typically get their hardware in large batches, so if there were quality issues related to specific production batches we would see a pattern with multiple data points.

Additionally, regarding the point above about "shop failures", those failures should be unrelated to the abnormal wear issue, whether it’s a production issue or user error.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
1722860048612.png

While it's not a lot to go on, what this graph tells me is that Puget Systems had no problems with Canon Lake. They then saw a statistically significant jump (from under 1% to 7.5%) around the time of Rocket Lake, which was really the first Intel generation to go bananas with power to the CPU. In response, Puget Systems probably learned a lesson and altered their power management strategy at the launch of Adler Lake, which appears to have drastically reduced failure rates (7.5% down to 1%). Then, all of a sudden, they saw a noticeable jump in failures with Raptor Lake (1% to 2.5%), despite their power management efforts. So if we're really looking at things, even a "properly tuned" Raptor Lake system is failing at higher than Adler Lake, and these systems are much newer and we're just now starting to see the failures present themselves. The reports are that Raptor Lake starts failing after around 6 months of active service. Adler Lake is all in the field by now and has been in operation far longer than Raptor Lake. That makes the jumps concerning and it is apparently just the beginning. It also means the microcode patch may not mitigate the failures at all since Puget Systems is properly configuring their rigs.

I can't make an assessment on their Ryzen rates because they don't talk at all about volume or how they set them up. I'm already assuming that their Intel volume remains constant from gen 10 to 14.

Ryzen 5000 field fail usually can be ez fixed by a positive CurveOptimzier setting, I had few, with a SUS origin, both got fixed with a positive Curve on the failing core. And none of my cpus from PGS origin failed so far.

Ryzen 7000 field fail is super rare, compared to 13th Gen, where 14th just too new to have it. Just wait for 2-3 more years.

But when I buy Ryzen 7000, I prefer to select PGY origin, if I am able too.

I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but anyway, few questions to consider:

1. What was so wrong with 11th gen? I can't recall anything serious but I might be wrong.

2. What is considered a failure? Unstable chip while undervolting? Computational error?

3. What is considered a conservative power setup for their chips? Which settings are touched?

4. Why there are no volumes provided?

5. Why there is so high "shop" failure rate for AMD CPUs? They don't know how to install the CPU or do they consider a failure when it does not support particular RAM speed that was supported on Intel platform?

6. Why is chronological and SKU overview of AMD CPU's failure rate missing?

Ultimately, their statistics (as presented in graphs) are not telling much. Volumes are missing and since they're altering default settings, those CPUs cannot be put in the same consideration pool as those which are run using Intel recommended settings. Same applies to AMD. If you alter settings such as voltages, TDP or frequencies, you no longer are using that chip within recommended/default settings, meaning the chip might not work properly that way because it was not designed and tested to work that way. If a chip is instable in such case, it must not be considered a failure as it is not being run within recommended/default settings.

Ryzen 5000 field fail usually can be ez fixed by a positive CurveOptimzier setting, I had few, with a SUS origin, both got fixed with a positive Curve on the failing core. And none of my cpus from PGS origin failed so far.

Ryzen 7000 field fail is super rare, compared to 13th Gen, where 14th just too new to have it. Just wait for 2-3 more years.

But when I buy Ryzen 7000, I prefer to select PGS origin, if I am able too.
So you've experienced Ryzen 5000 failure in which the chip was unstable using default settings?

I built several workstations using Zen 3 chips and they were all using high voltages. I remember one machine with 5600X OCed to 4.8 GHz on all cores. Before I undervolted it was a disaster. Pushing 1.42+V was pretty common in heavy workload. The CPU was perfectly stable at 1.337V after I undervolted it and it still is.

AMD is pushing a lot of voltage to Zen 3 chips, that's why I think that instability on default settings is for Zen 3 quite rare.

Nin

Supporter
This many failures? It seems awfully high, for all CPUs. For example, the Ryzen 7000 CPUs have a 4% shop failure rate according to the first picture. That would mean that out of every 25 customers who buy a Ryzen 7000 CPU, one buys a broken product. One out of every 25. Isn't that way too many?

Last edited:
Processor 13600k (5.6ghz/4.5ghz)
Motherboard MSI Z690 PRO-A
Cooling Deepcool LS520 (240mm AIO)
Memory 32GB DDR5 6666MHZ Hynix M Die
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060TI XC (+225mhz Core/+1000mhz Mem)
Storage 118GB Optane P1600X (Boot), Wd SN850x 2TB (Game)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p, 240hz)
Case CM TD500 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser PC38X
Power Supply CM V850 V2
Mouse G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro TKL (2023)
Because there are Raptor Lake CPUs that have degraded even when ran well within Intel's spec.
Thats because the "running within spec" was like worrying about a scrape on your knee when youve been shot. They were still running at over 1.6 volts even with a 253w power limit which is a 1000x bigger problem then running high wattages.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I thought mobo makers were caught also overvolting AMD cpus as well?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
What's your preferred tool to identify the failing core? Most of our 5000-series workstations are out of warranty now so being able to curve offset just the problem cores rather than the quick-and-easy all-core +5 would be better, but's it's always a time/effort trade-off.

I thought mobo makers were caught also overvolting AMD cpus as well?
That was an Asus AM5 thing, if you're referring to the burnt CPUs and melted sockets.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Rocket Lake was a mess of a release, it was supposed to be 10nm, but had to be redesigned to 14nm, went backwards in core count and up in power consumption over Canon Lake. I don’t think it had that long of a shelf life, but was more of a “we had it in the roadmap so here it is” kinda launch. I think it even launched with an immediate price cut. We don’t talk about Rocket Lake because it wasn’t a great product to start with and everyone moved on from it quickly.

System Name Dark Palimpsest
Processor Intel i9 13900k with Optimus Foundation Block
Motherboard EVGA z690 Classified
Cooling MO-RA3 420mm Custom Loop
Memory G.Skill 6000, 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090 FE with Heatkiller Block
Storage 3 NVMe SSDs, 2TB-each, plus a SATA SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte FO32U2P (32" QD-OLED) , Asus ProArt PA248QV (24")
Case Be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard GMMK Pro + Numpad
A lot of people here seem to be missing a huge factor here with regards to Puget on "why release this statement now?" and "why include AMD?". They make professional workstations, mostly for heavy CAD users (3D mechanical design, physics simulations (optical, thermal, stress, etc.), rendering, and a lot more), not gamers. These are likely going to sit in some Engineer's (or artist, etc.) cubicle and a lot of these will never be cleaned, updated (IT at many corporations are now reducing driver updates and Windows updates, especially on dedicated CAD machines if they're shared resources as WU tend to cause as many problems as they fix and drivers get stuck on whatever Solidworks (or insert CAD tool here) has certified for that version of Windows), or monitored the way a lot of enthusiast gamers will. They have to just sit there and work...indefinitely.

The end result of the statement above is that Puget (and similar companies) are incentivized to do a lot of testing on the hardware they're sending out so they can do whatever possible to reduce failures. This is why a lot of CPUs are super power-limited right out of the box (reduce heat and long-term wear), whether AMD or Intel. I have a Lenovo workstation for example (at work) with a Threadripper in it that could most certainly run at a higher power level, but it's been locked and reduced so that it never will. Most high-threaded CAD workloads don't care too much about clock-speed anyway, it's just how many cores and generational IPC improvements that help.

Add to that, right now, when all this coverage is happening, this company in particular, that as others have stated sell a lot of Intel rigs, has undoubtedly received many questions from their customers and potential customers. Puget has more published test data and processes than most companies like this so it does not surprise me at all that they'd try and get out some data. That's "why now?" and if you are a customer asking about problems with Intel, your next question is obviously "what about AMD?!"...

Yes, whether AMD or Intel, they're going to set their own BIOS settings to minimize heat and long-term wear on all systems. These are not going to be overclocked gaming systems.

TLDR: This means that the data is not necessarily applicable to gamers, anybody running their motherboard's default settings, or anybody who's overclocking their PC.

What's your preferred tool to identify the failing core? Most of our 5000-series workstations are out of warranty now so being able to curve offset just the problem cores rather than the quick-and-easy all-core +5 would be better, but's it's always a time/effort trade-off.
First of all, its my own experience, you own experience can be different, thats why I say "usually", but not always, so I am not guarantee, but in my cases, and my friends cases it was a silly voltage regulation on Cores, Soc/Uncore or Memory.

For example, in DDR4 memory cases I had to add extra voltage even to a generic 1.2v ram modules (running it on 1.28v instead of 1.2v). My threadripper 2990WX was freezing otherwise.

To detect bad cores I am using a simple "CoreCycler" tool, you can get it on github. I am using it with a default settings, but change the test time from 6 min to 60 min.
And you test cores in "preferred-cores" order (hwinfo can show u that order), but I think default random will do too.
Also this test can fail randomly if u have problems with memory (bad timings, or need more voltage, like 1.38 instead of basic 1.35), or when SoC/uncore voltage is "bad".

So you've experienced Ryzen 5000 failure in which the chip was unstable using default settings?
yes, but it was on day 1 of using it, single-core PRIME95 did not pass on it, always failed on first 2 "fast" cores. And I was too lazy to RMA it, because +5/+7 on 1 core and +1/+4 on other core did not change performance noticeably. But this P95 fail can ez cast a blue screen in future, so I classify it as a "field fail", not "shop fail". And I think it has do to with a crappy SUS origin, where they mess up with a proper testing, while PGS origin has no issues for me.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
So, if 11th gen is so bad, how come I never heard about it like the so called famous 13/14th gen??

These numbers are likely derived from a small sample size hence the inconsistencies. Even their "low" failure rate CPU families are about twice the industry average. They aren't useful for anyone but Puget. You could have easily titled this article "Puget shows 11th gen failure issues" and it would have been just as misleading. The reason we got the headline we got is for the clicks, plain and simple.

I wonder what prompted Puget Systems to check whether the base motherboard settings adhere to Intel documented base CPU settings, and then to change the motherboard settings when they found out they didn't? Was the reason absolute stability, or did they suspect any increased power would shorten life expectancy of the CPU?

Intel apologists were quick to point out we should disregard the reported high failure rates from companies that used these consumer CPUs in render farms, servers - that this is just product misuse, there is a reason why companies sell server, workstation lines of CPUs. Puget Systems builds and tests workstations just from such products, consumer CPUs - isn't this info invalid too? Or is this now perfectly acceptable, because the end line is "AMD fails even more", especially when you bury the point that Intel CPUs are beginning to show elevated failure rates later in their life?

Intel's official documentation for the 13th and 14th gen actually recommend against the base line profile.

1722871796574.png

This is because if Intel recommended the base line profile as default they would loose a massive amount of performance. The result is that the baseline profile isn't actually the baseline profile and there really is no singular recommendation from Intel in regards to what's safe. (More info on this in GN's latest video on the topic).

Their original article details why they manually go through and validate their own power settings, it's just that it's been taken out of context by tech news websites.

Okay, story time: A quite similar A versus B comparision in another community was with Airbus and Boeing, and the two had never quite, directly or indirectly, called each other's aircrafts unsafe, even in the aftermaths of tragedies like the AF447, and the MAX accidents. Notably, Boeing's saga with the MAX bear some resemblance to Intel's current predicament, except for the actual loss of life.

This one may bear some comparison, depending on how much further (and/or lower) the recriminations go. And whether the story would be corroborated elsewhere.

This data isn't likely to be corroborated because it also implicates the 11th gen as having a failure rate of nearly 2 gens combined, which I have seen no reports of. Puget's failure rates in general are twice the industry average. I said it before but these numbers are highly specific to puget and they aren't intended to demonstrate high AMD failure rates.

Nobody ever got fired for buying Intel - that still holds true, I believe.

I very much doubt this hold true after this recent fiasco. 50% failure rate on your gaming servers will absolutely get you fired when the competition is 1.2%.

I can't make an assessment on their Ryzen rates because they don't talk at all about volume or how they set them up. I'm already assuming that their Intel volume remains constant from gen 10 to 14.

Correct and the original article wasn't intended to to draw any conclusions on AMD rates. It's the tech Media that is trying to do so for the clicks.