• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

KIOXIA Develops Broadband SSD with Optical Interface for Next-Generation Green Data Centers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
KIOXIA America, Inc. will showcase a prototype broadband SSD with an optical interface for next-generation data centers at the FMS: the Future of Memory and Storage conference, being held in Santa Clara, California from August 6 to August 8. By replacing the electrical wiring interface with an optical interface, this SSD technology allows for greater physical distance between the compute and storage devices, slims down wiring and delivers high flexibility to data center system designs and applications—all while maintaining energy efficiency and high signal quality.

By adopting an optical interface, it becomes possible to aggregate individual components that make up systems, such as SSDs and CPUs, and seamlessly interconnect them. This furthers the evolution of a disaggregated computing system that can efficiently utilize resources according to a specific workload. Additionally, with its high signal integrity, the optical interface may enhance high-performance compute (HPC) environments, such as in supercomputers, cloud based-HPC and even applications in outer space.

This accomplishment is the result of the Japanese Next Generation Green Data Center Technology Development Project funded by the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO), which is under the Green Innovation Fund Project: Construction of Next Generation Digital Infrastructure. In this grant project, next generation technologies are being developed with the goal of achieving more than 40% energy savings compared to current data centers1. As a part of this project, KIOXIA is developing broadband SSDs with optical interfaces for data storage in next-generation green data centers.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Right here, right now, unlike your deadbeat carcus
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
"looook into de light"

"The light is comin for you, are you ready ?"

"even if you're not right, the light will save you" !

System Name AlderLake
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I'd like to see this.

The next would be substitutes of GDDR and GPU's themself with optical interface I'm sure.
This way the same huge memory bank would fit to many generations of GPUs and NPUs and upgrading them would be less costly than is now.
Cooling memory banks would be much easier as they would be physically separateted from big heat sources.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
After their SSD fiasco from a couple years ago, I have a hard time trusting OCZ on any reliability of their products. Got burned twice with OCZ's SSDs until I completely lost my trust with them.