• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Reportedly to Manufacture SoftBank's AI Chips, Replacing Intel

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
SoftBank has reportedly decided against using Intel's foundry for its ambitious AI venture, Project Izanagi, and is opting for TSMC instead. The conglomerate aims to challenge NVIDIA in the AI accelerator market by developing its own AI processors. This decision marks another setback for Intel, which has faced several challenges recently. In February 2024, reports emerged that SoftBank's CEO, Masayoshi Son, planned to invest up to $100 billion to create a company similar to NVIDIA, focused on selling AI accelerators. Although SoftBank initially worked with Intel, it recently switched to TSMC, citing concerns about Intel's ability to meet demands for "volume and speed."

The decision, reported by the Financial Times, raises questions about Intel's future involvement and how SoftBank's ownership of Arm Holdings will factor into the project. While TSMC is now SoftBank's choice, the foundry is already operating at full capacity, making it uncertain how it will accommodate this new venture. Neither SoftBank, Intel nor TSMC has commented on the situation, but given the complexities involved, it will likely take time for this plan to materialize. SoftBank will need to replicate NVIDIA's entire ecosystem, from chip design to data centers and a software stack rivaling CUDA, a bold and ambitious goal.

In July, SoftBank expanded its semiconductor portfolio by acquiring Graphcore, a British AI chip designer. While the acquisition amount remains undisclosed, this move is consistent with SoftBank's significant presence in the chip industry. The company already holds a majority stake in Arm, another British chip designer, which it purchased for $32 billion in 2016. Despite Arm's return to the stock market last year, SoftBank maintained its controlling interest.

In a separate development, Intel divested its position in Arm. The American tech giant sold its 1.18 million shares, generating approximately $146.7 million from the transaction.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
Intel needs to build it's own CPUs also in it's fabs, meaning they need to have extra capacity of good wafers to also cover orders from their customers. Meaning this isn't necessarily bad news for Intel. Their future process nodes might doing just fine, but not being currently at the needed capacity to cover also others.

So Softbank is going to make a processor that is bound for failure at a more expensive plant that is going to be less willing to cater to their whims, and other great move by softbank brilliant.

tfp

So Softbank is going to make a processor that is bound for failure at a more expensive plant that is going to be less willing to cater to their whims, and other great move by softbank brilliant.
They really should be at Intel if they want to fail, amirite?

AI costs have to come down.
This will probably mean a new architecture.
In memory computing with phase change memory or ReRam.

They really should be at Intel if they want to fail, amirite?
Intel that has to prove it self in the foundry business for third parties will be far more willing to help them out than overbooked tsmc.

so no while it’s very unlikely SoftBank will get anywhere in its latest foley it’s going to cost them less breaking ground with the help of intel than it will with tsmc

tfp

Intel that has to prove it self in the foundry business for third parties will be far more willing to help them out than overbooked tsmc.

so no while it’s very unlikely SoftBank will get anywhere in its latest foley it’s going to cost them less breaking ground with the help of intel than it will with tsmc
They could have gone Samsung as well, tsmc must be providing something they think they need.

They could have gone Samsung as well, tsmc must be providing something they think they need.
yes it being the number #1 foundry in the world should go over great with the share holders and future investors.
Tsmc building a fab in Japan would be a second.

Technology wise meeeh, they need a design first

AI costs have to come down.
This will probably mean a new architecture.
In memory computing with phase change memory or ReRam.

We have started hearing about compression on system memory type technologies emergence which is nice. I mentioned that ages ago that would be really great to see DIMM's integrating a chip to compress the memory storage directly to both help in speeding up data transmission and increase storage capacity. Even a fairly minor bit of that initially and improving it over time should go a long way. I feel there is defiantly room for it to mature. Instead of double dimm's for capacity we might start seeing double sided dimm's, but one side is for capacity on the opposite side are chips that of similar size with TSV that compress/decompress the individual DRAM banks in real time. At least that's my thoughts on possible way to go about it. It seems like a pretty plausible methodology to go about it. The same could be applied with NAND as well.

I don't think GPU's likely be doing that given they already have a GPU core that's perfectly suited for math and additionally the higher capacity I think is both more vital and precious in terms of real estate space than memory dimm's are on a PC system for the average consumer user. In the case of servers perhaps not, but they don't represent standard usage so needs will vary in some cases you might need tons of capacity while in others.

Another angle on the memory thing is maybe they'll license FPGA technology or something and could both be used for compression/decompression at times, but also depending on usage be reconfigured as programmable co-processors integrated into system memory. That would be kind of neat novelty to see happen or maybe they'll license CPU/GPU cores from various manufacturers to create a kind of SOC on the memory dimm's themselves that can do compression/decompression as well as other specialized tasks. That's just me trying to think outside the box though on new ways to fuse and merge some of these technology components together in some new ways. I'm sure there would be some positives and negatives to any of these idea's naturally.

tfp

At one point Intel and I think AMD had plans to put FPGA on package. The problem with FPGA is they are great for proof of concept but generally they don't seem to be used long term. People move to ASIC, GPUs, or something else.

Last edited:
At one point Intel and I think AMD had plans to put FPGA on package. The problem with PFGA is they are great for proof of concept but generally they don't seem to be used long term. People move to ASIC, GPUs, or something else.

>>...At one point Intel and I think AMD had plans to put FPGA on package....

Intel spent a lot of money and did it. A complete "infrastructure", I mean a package with CPU-plus-FPGA and software is Too expensive. It makes sense Only for Data Centers, and unfortunately for Intel, many providers of Data Center solutions use GPUs from NVIDIA and AMD.

"...citing concerns about Intel's ability to meet demands for "volume and speed."

Or at least they could do it fast enough at scale as long as Soft Bank was okay with the chips oxidizing and frying due to runaway voltage after one year of operation.

>>...SoftBank will need to replicate NVIDIA's entire ecosystem, from chip design to data centers and a software
>>stack rivaling CUDA, a bold and ambitious goal...

$100 Billion is Not enough. I'm sure for 99.99% that it will never happen.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P

w the raptorlakegate issue rn ppl aren't gonna trust intel fabs

tfp

>>...At one point Intel and I think AMD had plans to put FPGA on package....

Intel spent a lot of money and did it. A complete "infrastructure", I mean a package with CPU-plus-FPGA and software is Too expensive. It makes sense Only for Data Centers, and unfortunately for Intel, many providers of Data Center solutions use GPUs from NVIDIA and AMD.
Yeah looks like as far as AMD has gotten is putting an PFGA on a x86 board and is still targeting embedded.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
We have started hearing about compression on system memory type technologies emergence which is nice. I mentioned that ages ago that would be really great to see DIMM's integrating a chip to compress the memory storage directly to both help in speeding up data transmission and increase storage capacity. Even a fairly minor bit of that initially and improving it over time should go a long way. I feel there is defiantly room for it to mature. Instead of double dimm's for capacity we might start seeing double sided dimm's, but one side is for capacity on the opposite side are chips that of similar size with TSV that compress/decompress the individual DRAM banks in real time. At least that's my thoughts on possible way to go about it. It seems like a pretty plausible methodology to go about it. The same could be applied with NAND as well.

I don't think GPU's likely be doing that given they already have a GPU core that's perfectly suited for math and additionally the higher capacity I think is both more vital and precious in terms of real estate space than memory dimm's are on a PC system for the average consumer user. In the case of servers perhaps not, but they don't represent standard usage so needs will vary in some cases you might need tons of capacity while in others.

Another angle on the memory thing is maybe they'll license FPGA technology or something and could both be used for compression/decompression at times, but also depending on usage be reconfigured as programmable co-processors integrated into system memory. That would be kind of neat novelty to see happen or maybe they'll license CPU/GPU cores from various manufacturers to create a kind of SOC on the memory dimm's themselves that can do compression/decompression as well as other specialized tasks. That's just me trying to think outside the box though on new ways to fuse and merge some of these technology components together in some new ways. I'm sure there would be some positives and negatives to any of these idea's naturally.
Doesn't seem logical. You'd have to transfer uncompressed data, which means more data, over the memory bus. A better example of processing in memory would be an algorithm to search for certain patterns in memory. In this case, only the searched part would have to be sent over the bus to the processor, instead of everything.

Doesn't seem logical. You'd have to transfer uncompressed data, which means more data, over the memory bus. A better example of processing in memory would be an algorithm to search for certain patterns in memory. In this case, only the searched part would have to be sent over the bus to the processor, instead of everything.

>>...Doesn't seem logical...

Why? On Windows platforms compression of files is a very-very old and mature technology! Next, starting from Windows 10 there is a Memory Compression feature and take a look at a Task Manager ( memory related attributes ). So, from software side Microsoft has implemented it Twice . The only problem is that a hardware based solution for Memory Compression will be more complex. For example, all external Memory Extenders are Not for a regular PC consumer because all these Memory Extenders are very expensive. Take a look at prices for CXL Memory Expander by Samsung.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
>>...Doesn't seem logical...

Why? On Windows platforms compression of files is a very-very old and mature technology! Next, starting from Windows 10 there is a Memory Compression feature and take a look at a Task Manager ( memory related attributes ). So, from software side Microsoft has implemented it Twice . The only problem is that a hardware based solution for Memory Compression will be more complex. For example, all external Memory Extenders are Not for a regular PC consumer because all these Memory Extenders are very expensive. Take a look at prices for CXL Memory Expander by Samsung.
I'm not saying ompression in general is a bad idea. But if you're doing it on the memory modules, you need to transfer uncompressed data over the memory bus, and that may be a serious bottleneck. If the CPU (or whatever sort of processor) is doing it, it sends and receives already compressed data to/from memory.
Remember DirectStorage and GPU decompression? One of its goals was (is?) to avoid sending uncompressed data to the GPU over (relatively) slow PCIe bus.
There's at least one more issue: the compression ratio is unpredictable. How would a smart DIMM handle that?

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3800
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
Intel is going to be just fine.
Hahahahaah ✖
That's a black swan moment.
Intel is done.
SoftBank and TSMC wasn't in my bingo chart this year and that's some dark magic.
>>...SoftBank will need to replicate NVIDIA's entire ecosystem, from chip design to data centers and a software
>>stack rivaling CUDA, a bold and ambitious goal...
It's also SoftBank. They find a way.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Hahahahaah ✖
That's a black swan moment.
Intel is done.
SoftBank and TSMC wasn't in my bingo chart this year and that's some dark magic.
He's not wrong. Intel is NOT done. They haven't even spun off their fab arm for a quick cash influx yet like AMD already did many years ago, for example. They are hurting right now, but awash with options to sell and I can promise you no one is discussing bankruptcy outside enthusiast fanboys.