• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual-Boot Linux Users Need to Update Systems Due to GRUB/SBAT Policy Changes in Windows

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Using Windows is like being stuck in an abusive relationship.
We pay MS and they give us crap, cull our data, and shove ads into their (paid-for) product.
I love that analogy!

In any way, it's a good practice to first warn users about an update potentially making many systems unusable, at least for a while. But, Microsoft being a company run by monkeys mindlessly chanting "AI", is obviously not privy to revolutionary ideas like "good practices". A week's notice would not compromise security much further but would save some headache.
Get out of my head!

I have a feeling when SteamOS officially launches their desktop OS that Windows will take a bit of a hit.
Yes please! Although, that might only add to my biggest gripe with Linux, segmentation. If everyone just came together and made one unified Linux desktop distro, it could run circles around Windows. It already does as a server OS.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
It would be enough to just make big non clickaway pop up messages.
Talk to UEFI secure boot implementarions then because no such facility exists in any UEFI anywhere. In other words you are asking for something Microsoft can't even provide.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB & 4TB 980 PRO, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Damn! I recently moved to dual boot and everything is now done through my Linux installation (even gaming, thanks to Lutris and to Steam interest in Linux gaming).

I guess I will wait for a fix before getting the last few documents I haven't yet transferred... :-/
These days I handle dual boot by swapping disks in my hot swap bay - problem solved!

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Windows will be around for as long as Mac and Linux can’t provide more universal support for software. Using a mac is like paying a company a lot of money to shoot you in the foot unless you work with a handful of supported programs.
As more stuff goes web-based, that support is unnecessary, and honestly what MS seems to be pushing for, even in it's own suite of apps. Office on a web browser is looking an awful lot like Office the standalone suite. At my workplace, we appear to migrating away from a lot of software that is dependent on a particular platform. You'll always have some outliers, sure, but I can do a lot of my job through a Chromium browser in Linux, and a lot of other things with Office apps on an iPad. We've come a long way for sure. I think this is why Windows is in the state it's in (telemetry, ads, partners), because they know its dominance has diminished substantially in the last decade.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Does this actually affect the bigger distros that have keys MS has blessed like Ubuntu?

This was literally revocation of known exploited keys. I'm unsure how else they COULD have handled it. Ignoring that these keys were compromised was not really a sane option.
The implication I was making was to suggest that microsoft should be using software security schemes instead of relying on hardware based nonsense.

Does this actually affect the bigger distros that have keys MS has blessed like Ubuntu?
And this is an example of the problem: Booting an OS on a UEFI system that has Windows installed requires the blessing of microsoft UNLESS users shutoff secure-boot, which they are pushing hardcore. It's an entirely incompetent way of doing things.

As more stuff goes web-based, that support is unnecessary, and honestly what MS seems to be pushing for, even in it's own suite of apps. Office on a web browser is looking an awful lot like Office the standalone suite. At my workplace, we appear to migrating away from a lot of software that is dependent on a particular platform. You'll always have some outliers, sure, but I can do a lot of my job through a Chromium browser in Linux, and a lot of other things with Office apps on an iPad. We've come a long way for sure. I think this is why Windows is in the state it's in (telemetry, ads, partners), because they know its dominance has diminished substantially in the last decade.

When rendering, CAD, video, audio, modeling etc… work can be done in a web browser you might have a point… in 30+ years.

Large businesses or even small ones using software such as the above are all highly resistant/apprehensive to change software by the snap of a finger. Basic office task software being used as a point to prove otherwise is a pretty naive assessment. Software being web based and OS agnostic also doesn’t give a business and immediate reason to migrate away from Windows. Then theres budgets to consider and so on…

Microsoft accounts for 72% of OS install base, and thats not going to change in a short time span even with the majority of their nonsense.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
When rendering, CAD, video, audio, modeling etc… work can be done in a web browser you might have a point… in 30+ years.

Large businesses or even small ones using software such as the above are all highly resistant/apprehensive to change software by the snap of a finger. Basic office task software being used as a point to prove otherwise is a pretty naive assessment. Software being web based and OS agnostic also doesn’t give a business and immediate reason to migrate away from Windows. Then theres budgets to consider and so on…

Microsoft accounts for 72% of OS install base, and thats not going to change in a short time span even with the majority of their nonsense.
Except when companies make a cost-saving move to extend BYOD to the employee work computer. It's been kicked around for a long time. And it's not really that naive. There are lots of workers in many companies that simply don't need any more than to run Office and a web browser. My company isn't small, and I'd bet that over half of the workforce doesn't need any more than that. We have work management systems that are browser-based for non-designers. Of course there will always be a place for software running directly, but there's also a place where it's unnecessary. My point is that Windows + installed software was the obvious default in the work environment not long ago, but it's migrating away from that for many workers. You might assume that I don't do anything of production value on my work PC, but it's actually my full time job to manage data and publish reports, and I'm realizing that much of what I do is not all that Windows dependent anymore. It's definitely still Microsoft dependent, and that's what MS still needs to keep hold of.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
And this is an example of the problem: Booting an OS on a UEFI system that has Windows installed requires the blessing of microsoft UNLESS users shutoff secure-boot, which they are pushing hardcore. It's an entirely incompetent way of doing things.

No; I think im having a hard time wrapping my head around this. The factory platform keys and any system made by MS or certified by them (pluton etc) have key stores that need to be blessed by MS. Thats understandable. However; anyone can make or enter custom keys and I am trying to be more tight lipped about it given I havent had time to read this; but it reads like people are using the default secureboot keys, and now bitching because they are using non-firstrate distros that dont have signed keys.

That was always asking for trouble, just like you have always been able to enter your own key in the BIOS. I understand this affects a lot of people, but if the issue REALLY is just using the default platform keys then.....you were always playing with fire; and it could have always been avoided.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
If only the whole world used Softplan as their one and only one software application, then I would be more receptive to what you are saying. Since it is not, many personal and professional uses of computers are moving to different devices and OSes since the days of 95% Windows OS share for internet connected devices. The transition cannot happen fast enough and I don't even think MS would care as they have pivoted away from the Windows OS business a few years ago.
I am a Mac fan since the first one, but i am not that hardcore fanboi to ignore the realities of the computing world.

Macs are still missing a lot of software that only exists in Windows. Plain and simple.

Also, Apple its not making it easy for everyone to adopt them. Example, i need a new Mac and i like the Studio, but not only is that thing grossly overpriced, apple in the typical consumer hostile way, made that system almost impossible to open up just so you can dust it off. Imagine having to take the time to unplug, carry it to an apple store just to have it duested off. Worse, you will have to pay for that if out of applecare coverage.
I have a feeling when SteamOS officially launches their desktop OS that Windows will take a bit of a hit.
Well, you still need the likes of Adobe and even MS to release their programs on Linux and clearly, they dont have such plans.
Never share an EFI partition with Windows. This has been the case since Windows 8 got released.
Well, I did a test drive on an Alpha workstation by installing NT, so i will say, way before that.
Yes please! Although, that might only add to my biggest gripe with Linux, segmentation. If everyone just came together and made one unified Linux desktop distro, it could run circles around Windows. It already does as a server OS.
Amen. As a huge fan of Linux, sadly I agree, their segmentation is their worst enemy.
As more stuff goes web-based, that support is unnecessary
In the future? Yes, but currently , all of the programs that i have tested, the web version is always trailing the full client.
and honestly what MS seems to be pushing for, even in it's own suite of apps. Office on a web browser is looking an awful lot like Office the standalone suite
But its lacking a lot of features, like PST in Outlook.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
So windows updated parts of the UEFI bios without consent.....

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Linux users, the first group to whine and complain that "WINDOZE ISNT SECURE", are getting screwed over because... they didn't secure their systems properly, and Windows is making their system more secure. The irony is so thick as to almost be physical.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max
Cooling Corsair H100x
Memory 64GB Corsair CMT64GX4M2C3600C18 @ 3600MHz / 18-19-19-39-1T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Never understood all the hate for Windows. Used it for decades and have found it has only gotten better. Less crashes, less compatibility issues and rarely have to wrestle with it. For me, it just works.

NineMeow

I uninstalled Windows 11 and turned to Linux Mint 3 months ago. It's quite beginner-friendly. As a moderate gamer, I think it satisfied me well.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Not if you aren't running an ancient version.

Linux users, the first group to whine and complain that "WINDOZE ISNT SECURE", are getting screwed over because... they didn't secure their systems properly, and Windows is making their system more secure. The irony is so thick as to almost be physical.
To be honest linux devs who know what they are talking about should be equally chaatising these " critics."

So windows updated parts of the UEFI bios without consent.....
Not without consent. They own they keys that you are running. That's the premise of secure boot. Linux can do the same. In the past, it even has.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
It would be enough to just make big non clickaway pop up messages.

Windows 11 Pro annoys me very often with messages like "USe a microsoft online account" and other nonsense. That code exists. Just reuse it with a changed text.

Microsoft coders are most likely stupid. Destroying data. Someone who destroys data is stupid. Fact. Someone who writes code which destroys data is stupid. There used to be install dialogs with text. And warning text, do not click here, else ... may render your box not bootable and such.

I dislike "Linux" .... etc. in the article. That is wrong. It should be named. Ubuntu has an issue with outdated bootloader with activated Secure boot option. Assuming that this is the fact here. All those text and ubuntu page is not really clear, what the issue is. This also shows that ubuntu responsible text writers do not know where and what the issue is.

My Gentoo Linux is not affected. I also use a linux kernel in the efi-stub kernel variant. With another userspace and another toolchain. Assuming the date of the article is correct, my box was not "ruined" by the last windows 11 pro update i did a few days ago. Than I activated the 5 weeks no update option.

People forget. It is not a linux issue. It is a bootloader issue. And that is an userspace issue. And that is not linux related. Because it is not the linux kernel itself.

In comparison, when we talk about windows, we usually mean the hole package, windows kernel, hole operating system with the "userspace" and provided software and bootloader

Feel free to go to kernel.org and download. Read the gentoo handbook or the arch linux install guide. Read and understand the boot process please. Read lilo, grub 1 or grub 2 docs to understand what a bootloader does.
I have no issues dual booting with an updated Windows 11 install and Ubuntu 22.04.4.

No; I think im having a hard time wrapping my head around this. The factory platform keys and any system made by MS or certified by them (pluton etc) have key stores that need to be blessed by MS. Thats understandable. However; anyone can make or enter custom keys and I am trying to be more tight lipped about it given I havent had time to read this; but it reads like people are using the default secureboot keys, and now bitching because they are using non-firstrate distros that dont have signed keys.

That was always asking for trouble, just like you have always been able to enter your own key in the BIOS. I understand this affects a lot of people, but if the issue REALLY is just using the default platform keys then.....you were always playing with fire; and it could have always been avoided.
You're missing the point. The PC should ALWAYS be a free and open platform upon which everyone can build whatever they want. No one entity should have dominant control, ESPECIALLY microsoft.

Not if you aren't running an ancient version.
And some people need to. The option to run what-ever-the-hell one wants to, WITHOUT borking the exist OS running side-by-side is a right microsoft needs to stop screwing with. Short-sighted, narrow-minded morons..(not you folks, microsoft)

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Then turn off secure boot? Or enroll your own key?
Oh? Wouldn't that be nice? Not that simple though as Windows requires SecureBoot unless one uses a bypass..

The smarter solution is for microsoft to use their heads for something other than a seat cushion and create a solution for Windows security that does NOT rely on hardware, IE, is entirely self contained and completely user configurable.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Then just enroll your own key?

I'm sorry but I can't see not revoking literally revoked keys as a legit strategy.

Then just enroll your own key?

I'm sorry but I can't see not revoking literally revoked keys as a legit strategy.
You're missing the point. I'm suggesting the discontinuation of the keys entirely. They're not needed. There are better and smarter ways of making an OS secure.