• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Readies "Arrow Lake" Variant with Oversized iGPU to Take on AMD "Strix Halo"

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD "Strix Halo" isn't just a mobile processor with an oversized iGPU meant to power "gaming ultraportables," it has other potential applications such as game consoles (both handheld and standalone). Not willing to cede this market to AMD, Intel is reportedly readying its own such chip, which is being reported as the "Arrow Lake Halo" for the lack of an official name. This chip will feature a large iGPU based on the Xe2 "Battlemage" graphics architecture, the variant of Xe2 Intel plans to use for its next-generation Arc discrete GPUs. The CPU compute complex will be carried over from the regular "Arrow Lake" chips, and feature a mix of "Lion Cove" P-cores, and "Skymont" E-core clusters.

To meet the higher memory bandwidth demand that arises from a high-performance iGPU and CPU, AMD designed the RDNA 3.5 graphics architecture to be more LPDDR5-aware, since at the physical layer, LPDDR operates differently from GDDR. Intel will probably do something similar, and deploy a 256-bit wide LPDDR5/x memory interface replacing the 128-bit wide interface the regular "Arrow Lake" mobile chips come with. Whether "Arrow Lake Halo" and "Strix Halo" remain competitive will depend a lot on which gaming experiences the two companies want to sell. The way the iGPU of "Strix Halo" is rumored to be specced suggests something that is 1440p-capable, or 4K-capable with FSR 3.

The oldest references to the "Arrow Lake Halo" date back to a purported Intel internal slide leaked to the web by Adored TV some time between 2021-2023, which used the "GT3" performance designator for the iGPU, and explicitly used the word "Halo" in its codename. The slide describes the chip as having 6 "Lion Cove" P-cores, and 8 "Skymont" E-cores, with a large iGPU. Such a product, however, may not end up competitive to what "Strix Halo" is shaping up to be—up to 16 full-sized "Zen 5" CPU cores, and an RDNA 3.5 iGPU with 40 compute units (2,560 stream processors). This to us suggests that the latest leak of "Arrow Lake Halo" is different from the one in the Adored TV leak, and may have more cores, and a larger iGPU.

This wouldn't be the first time Intel tried its hand at mobile processors with oversized iGPUs on the package, the "Kaby Lake-G" mobile processor featured a "Kaby Lake" CPU die and a Radeon Vega M GPU die sharing a package as an MCM, with the two dies having their own discrete memory interfaces.

Many Thanks to TumbleGeorge for the tip.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Competition is good, and its nice to see intel remember that iris plus was a thing way back when, and there may still be a market for it.

PRoblem is, their drivers are total trash. From those who have had time to tinker with meteor lake, allegedly, games that work perfectly fine on ARC cards or XE iGPUs fail miserably on meteor lake's chips. Intel hasnt figured out how to carry their driver fixes forward.

Processor AMD R7 3800X EKWB
Motherboard Asus Tuf B450M-Pro µATX +MosfetWB (x2)
Cooling EKWB on CPU + GPU / Heatkiller 60/80 on Mosfets / Black Ice SR-1 240mm
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200C14 @ ----
Video Card(s) Vega64 EKWB
Storage Samsung 512GB NVMe 3.0 x4 / Crucial P1 1TB NVMe 3.0 x2
Display(s) Asus ProArt 23" 1080p / Acer 27" 144Hz FreeSync IPS
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Power Supply SeaSonic 850W
Keyboard Ducky One TKL / MX Brown
Could this have the "Adamantium" Cache Tile ?

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
With the useless drivers they ship, this is just a resistor warming up the rest of the chip.

gehadsheha

Given Intel's history with their iGPU drivers (which is are drivers that are clearly just made for standard desktop usage, and are very obviously not made for any kind of 3D applications), i don't think these new iGPUs would be better than AMD's drivers for their iGPUs.
I've used Intel's i3-3120m with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 for 5 years, and the drivers were simply terrible for gaming and didn't have any advanced customization for 3D applications like Nvidia and AMD already had for a long time. So I'm not really excited for these new APUs.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
I've used Intel's i3-3120m with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 for 5 years, and the drivers were simply terrible for gaming and didn't have any advanced customization for 3D applications like Nvidia and AMD already had for a long time. So I'm not really excited for these new APUs.
I mean... I wouldn't compare the iGPU from 11 generations back (before they were really even looking at getting into GPUs) to what is out now and will be coming out soon.