• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Considers Sale of Altera Business Amid Restructuring Plans, Foundry Business to Stay

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Just as AMD was forced to do, thanks to Intel illegal actions, its now their turn.

But karma alone is doing this and fingers crossed they never recover.

Do you even listen to yourself.

You should readup a little on the early history of Xe I think because Raja was at the helm of strategic blunders quite often. This wasnt a story of AMD, its one of Intel failing forward. Just hiring some heads apparently does not a good company make... And the exact same applies to Pat. Plus, what Raja is remembered most by is his PR flair... the man is an elephant in a China shop, just unfit for camera duty.

All I see is old boys networks and they suck harder by the year. Raja is a symptom, as is Pat, of a company and possibly a generation that has lost its touch.

All I'm saying is they aren't the incompetent buffoons that a lot of people are implying they are. The positions they hold aren't entrusted to just about anybody - there's a reason every 386 has "PG" engraved in them.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
All I'm saying is they aren't the incompetent buffoons that a lot of people are implying they are. The positions they hold aren't entrusted to just about anybody - there's a reason every 386 has "PG" engraved in them.
I agree, they're not incompetent buffoons and I won't say that they are. What we do see is that some people get stuck in the past or in old ideas, and basically throwing the same people at the same problems just provides similar outcomes.

It wasn't until Keller was flown in to AMD's CPU division that things took a radical change for the better. Similar things must occur at Intel - but when Intel had to make that move, they hired Raja and Pat G for this and on CPU they never did a full reset while Raja was destined to start with the scraps of decades of Intel IGPs. Old boys doing old tricks. Pat G was always Intel. And Raja... honestly, sure, the man knows his way around GPUs. But he was put in the wrong position, the man shouldn't get screentime, and shouldn't be doing the project management. He makes mistakes. Big ones, and they've been evident not just at Intel but also at AMD. Overselling every time, and underdelivering as a result. Even at AMD I think his hands were tied, like you pointed out, but at the same time, if he's truly an insightful engineer in a leading position, shouldn't he be lining out a different strategy to make the best chip? Vega didn't just lack in performance (per watt) but it was also a pita to source HBM. Polaris, while 'successful' in sales, didn't move GCN forward much, and RDNA1 was a bunch of nothing if you ask me, stopgap gen if anything. Was the strategy of AMD truly to execute several generations of GPU with that little progress towards matching the cutting edge? They literally plateaud at Vega performance, hard, for a long time, and up to this day the GPU strategy often seems to lack direction (at least in the PC DIY space).

Now let's look at what Pat's done for Intel as CEO. Overselling... underdelivering. I'm sure they're great engineers. And I'm sure that's what they should have kept doing. I strongly doubt Raja was treated at Intel like Keller was treated at AMD. Part of that is company culture, arrogance vs underdog mentality must have played its part here, too.

Last edited:
“Pat Gelsinger's vision…”

You mean Pat Gelsinger’s failure.

The word vision usually involves positive thinking for the future of a company. What’s happening are plans being made to reduce Intel due to business failures.

Brian Krzanich and Pat Gelsinger are the most incompetent CEOs I have ever seen. Imagine if either of them were CEO of Nvidia... Nvidia would have gone bankrupt by now.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I agree, they're not incompetent buffoons and I won't say that they are. What we do see is that some people get stuck in the past or in old ideas, and basically throwing the same people at the same problems just provides similar outcomes.

It wasn't until Keller was flown in to AMD's CPU division that things took a radical change for the better. Similar things must occur at Intel - but when Intel had to make that move, they hired Raja and Pat G for this and on CPU they never did a full reset while Raja was destined to start with the scraps of decades of Intel IGPs. Old boys doing old tricks. Pat G was always Intel. And Raja... honestly, sure, the man knows his way around GPUs. But he was put in the wrong position, the man shouldn't get screentime, and shouldn't be doing the project management. He makes mistakes. Big ones, and they've been evident not just at Intel but also at AMD. Overselling every time, and underdelivering as a result. Even at AMD I think his hands were tied, like you pointed out, but at the same time, if he's truly an insightful engineer in a leading position, shouldn't he be lining out a different strategy to make the best chip? Vega didn't just lack in performance (per watt) but it was also a pita to source HBM. Polaris, while 'successful' in sales, didn't move GCN forward much, and RDNA1 was a bunch of nothing if you ask me, stopgap gen if anything. Was the strategy of AMD truly to execute several generations of GPU with that little progress towards matching the cutting edge? They literally plateaud at Vega performance, hard, for a long time, and up to this day the GPU strategy often seems to lack direction (at least in the PC DIY space).

Now let's look at what Pat's done for Intel as CEO. Overselling... underdelivering. I'm sure they're great engineers. And I'm sure that's what they should have kept doing. I strongly doubt Raja was treated at Intel like Keller was treated at AMD. Part of that is company culture, arrogance vs underdog mentality must have played its part here, too.
Intel is in desperate need of an outsider.... stagnation is rife in the IT world it seems rn. But these companies are afraid to hire any outsiders that would come to the company with new solutions! I've ran into this myself while applying for IT jobs. They feel like they don't want anyone challenging their worldviews, but here's the thing IT'S NEEDED in the IT industry! We need more diversity of thought and companies are not open to that these days! But people as a whole have gotten too scared to be challenged intellectually they can't even innovate if their lives depended on it!

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
It's been what, 6 years since Raja Koduri left AMD and Radeon is still their worst performing business. Not to mention that Radeon itself (and by this I mean the original Radeon from 2000) had his personal involvement, as well as the most successful of their GPU designs, Polaris. RDNA and CDNA split occurred for a reason, they had been re-heating GCN for 10 years at that point. Not even if you brought Nvidia's most experienced engineers in they could fix GCN by the time Vega 20 came out.

The problem runs much deeper than that, and using him as a scapegoat has grown quite old. The copium has gotta run out someday, sheesh.
This thread has nothing to do with AMD.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
This thread has nothing to do with AMD.

Read the thread. Do you know who Raja Koduri is? I wasn't the one to initially bring Raja or AMD into this. Besides, you're always one to talk. Always.

They have IBM syndrome. Decades of institutional rot and hubris. Like IBM they will never be the same company again. The days of Chipzilla are almost certainly at an end. The brain drain is one of the worst problems they are facing. Getting capex and other costs under control means little if all of the talent has moved on to happier hunting grounds. Employees on Reddit paint a bleak picture of motivation, morale, and job security. They say pay is not competitive but there were perks that made it worthwhile. Now that they are taking all of those away, the last incentives are gone.

No more merit bonuses, and the feeling that performance metrics will get you fired for just about anything. No wonder so many are looking to bail. Taking away free snacks and coffee is just petty and is going to bear bitter fruit (pun intended)

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Read the thread. Do you know who Raja Koduri is? I wasn't the one to initially bring Raja or AMD into this. Besides, you're always one to talk. Always.Here comes the personal attack. First you question my Intelligence and then create the narrative. Intel and AMD are two different companies and Intel's GPU is not the reason for a 27% drop in Stock price ijn 1 day.

I did not question your intelligence. I told you to read the thread and inquired if you knew who Raja Koduri is. You will never miss a chance to defend AMD or reiterate your supposed satisfaction with AMD products, so the assertion that you're one to talk stands. You can't help it.

Even now, it hasn't dawned on you that if this argument is because of off-topic (and it wasn't, since the subject is the supposed poor performance of Intel executives - and any criticism leveled at Raja - currently an Intel executive and formerly an AMD executive - is based on Reddit's misguided view that he is solely responsible for the Radeon Vega flop) - you only managed to prolong it.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
I did not question your intelligence. I told you to read the thread and inquired if you knew who Raja Koduri is. You will never miss a chance to defend AMD or reiterate your supposed satisfaction with AMD products, so the assertion that you're one to talk stands. You can't help it.

Even now, it hasn't dawned on you that if this argument is because of off-topic (and it wasn't, since the subject is the supposed poor performance of Intel executives - and any criticism leveled at Raja - currently an Intel executive and formerly an AMD executive - is based on Reddit's misguided view that he is solely responsible for the Radeon Vega flop) - you only managed to prolong it.
Just like how you always attack AMD. You talk so negative about AMD that you inserted this in this thread. Like I said before Raja has nothing to do with the failure of Intel's CPUs. This is all because of the 27% drop in stock price due to that narrative. You have no idea what made Vega a non product for some as it was price and not performance that made it seem meh but you are probably only talking about Raja because he was an AMD employee.

Just like how you always attack AMD. You talk so negative about AMD that you inserted this in this thread. Like I said before Raja has nothing to do with the failure of Intel's CPUs. This is all because of the 27% drop in stock price due to that narrative. You have no idea what made Vega a non product for some as it was price and not performance that made it seem meh but you are probably only talking about Raja because he was an AMD employee.

Wrong. If AMD releases something that doesn't have chronic problems, buts or ifs, I will be on their side. I've purchased AMD flagship hardware before. My previous build had a 5950X processor. At the time, Intel didn't suit my needs. During that time, I had every single GPU generation they had released up to that time - but I've become disenfranchised and disillusioned with them. Because I don't believe in the tooth fairy, or think Lisa Su farts rainbows.

I did not insert AMD in this thread. And stop backseat moderating, go find something better to spend your time with.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Wrong. If AMD releases something that doesn't have chronic problems, buts or ifs, I will be on their side. I've purchased AMD flagship hardware before. My previous build had a 5950X processor. At the time, Intel didn't suit my needs. During that time, I had every single GPU generation they had released up to that time - but I've become disenfranchised and disillusioned with them. Because I don't believe in the tooth fairy, or think Lisa Su farts rainbows.

I did not insert AMD in this thread. And stop backseat moderating, go find something better to spend your time with.
Ok you are free to believe what you will. Maybe read your post about Radeon in this very thread that says Intel may sell Altera. This is almost too easy.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P