• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DOJ Issues Subpoena to NVIDIA as Antitrust Probe Intensifies

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Nvidia's MO is conditioning supply on obedience and locking customers in. It's been something they've done with their AIB partners and customers for a long time now. I guess it took Nvidia doing the same to the AI market for regulators to finally notice.
Intel business practice right there too.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity2, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB & 4TB 980 PRO, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
This fake news is fake!

Nvidia has been known to force AIB partners into submission, no one cared about that.
Perhaps now it's hurting a congressmen's pocketbook.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
"Pissed off" might a stretch.. If NVidia broke the law, they are accountable and need to be roped in.
The problem is; the fines usually accosiated with breaking them are just a tap on the wrist for those breaking them, if I was the judge and jury, I would make the fine so big, that the company will only be able to afford operational costs and salaries for 3 years or so, before churning profits for their coffers again, I will hurt you so bad, so bad, you would never even think of trying that crap again as long as you live.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity2, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB & 4TB 980 PRO, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
"Pissed off" might a stretch.. If NVidia broke the law, they are accountable and need to be roped in.
Agreed however seems breaking the law has become somewhat subjective depending who is in charge and what chips (pun intended) they have on their shoulder these days. The ongoing love hate relationship between gov't and international corporate America is an interesting spectacle to see and when money gets flowing principals, consistency, and ethics seem to go out the window.

It was always that way, hence the pardon for Nixon(?) IIRC. Politics always dictates policies & yes law, its interpretation, as well.

I was the judge and jury, I would make the fine so big, that the company will only be able to afford operational costs and salaries for 3 years or so, before churning profits for their coffers again, I will hurt you so bad, so bad, you would never even think of trying that crap again as long as you live.
It would be great if the penalties had such an effect, being so severe that companies strive to avoid them.

chips (pun intended)
Nice!

It was always that way, hence the pardon for Nixon(?) IIRC. Politics always dictates policies & yes law, its interpretation, as well.
Sadly, you're not far off..

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The problem is; the fines usually accosiated with breaking them are just a tap on the wrist for those breaking them, if I was the judge and jury, I would make the fine so big, that the company will only be able to afford operational costs and salaries for 3 years or so, before churning profits for their coffers again, I will hurt you so bad, so bad, you would never even think of trying that crap again as long as you live.
Yeah, %revenue penalties are almost as rare as the dodo. Yet, they're the only kind companies can't simply shrug off. Is there a $1mn penalty for dumping toxic waste over there? No problem, dump $2mn worth of waste and bank $1mn.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
They are still allowed to offer quantity discounts though, like any other business. Buy 20 accelerators, get one for free. Or get one switch for free. The more you buy, the more you save!
Are there legal restrictions in place that also limit their ability to do that?
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that's still allowed. Some of the behaviour that got Standard Oil in trouble is exhibited by Nvidia too:

threats to suppliers and distributors who did business with Standard's competitors.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
It's all relative.

Back in the days of Netburst, PC builders would start looking at AMD chips. And then Intel would walk in and ask: how much business do you think you can get from AMD? About 10%. Ok, what if we gave you a 10% discount, so for every CPU you already get from us, you get the one you would get from AMD for free?

What Intel offered was just a discount, which isn't usually even frowned upon. It's all legalese from there.

The simplest solution for a company too large and powerful is to forcibly break it up.

People have forgotten that in the year 1776, when the USA was founded (or at least, we declared our independence), companies were an act of congress. Each company had to be argued at Congress and proven before our representatives that the companies were worth creating. From the start of our country, the idea was that companies should be first-and-foremost, to the benefit of Americans.

Today, we have a more Libertarian slant (closer to the 1870s period), where we let companies go free and do whatever they like. But politics changes from decade to decade. Eventually, the country will once again realize that we can enforce laws, breakups and enact changes with a mere stroke of the pen to improve ourselves and the place we live in. Antitrust issues are just that. FBI may initiate them, but in our political system, they need our moral support for lasting change. People are scared of changing today's society, to a detriment. But the powers are always there. They've just been forgotten.

Its not really about the law per se. We have plenty of laws ready to challenge and breakup monopolies. Its that our country is largely afraid to use those laws in today's politics.

The first step, politically speaking, is to get everyone to agree that the #1 purpose of US Companies should be to benefit Americans. If a company is no longer useful (or worse: they're actively harming innovation or hampering us), then we need to think about how to reorganize those troublesome companies. Maybe even the "meta" argument is to teach today's voters and today's population that companies can be harmful to us AND we actually have laws + regulations that can fix those problems (when applied correctly).

-----------

That being said: FBI hasn't filed a case yet. FBI is just gathering evidence. We don't know what NVidia has done to catch the FBI's attention. And we might never know.

It's all relative.

Back in the days of Netburst, PC builders would start looking at AMD chips. And then Intel would walk in and ask: how much business do you think you can get from AMD? About 10%. Ok, what if we gave you a 10% discount, so for every CPU you already get from us, you get the one you would get from AMD for free?

What Intel offered was just a discount, which isn't usually even frowned upon. It's all legalese from there.

Bug knows what's up, but I think bug's post needs a bit more context.

1725547892998.png

This "discount move", bug described was determined to be an antitrust issue. Intel was then forbidden from doing that again.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
The first step, politically speaking, is to get everyone to agree that the #1 purpose of US Companies should be to benefit Americans.
That's the easy part. The hard part is defining "benefit". You get to choose between a company selling goods on their own terms or no company (and no goods) at all. Which is more beneficial.

The reason that power is not exercised more is not that it's forgotten about. It's because it's very risky to use. After all it's infinitely easier to tear stuff down than it is to build it up.
Another reason is context: do you want to go up against (for example) Chinese juggernauts, with state-backing with only small companies, all at other's throat? Would that benefit Americans more?

Another reason is context: do you want to go up against (for example) Chinese juggernauts, with state-backing with only small companies, all at other's throat? Would that benefit Americans more?

Well lets consider the 00s Intel antitrust case again.

The correct move in the 00s was not to breakup Intel, but as you've seen... just issue an order saying that Intel isn't allowed to offer anticompetitive discounts that harm AMD anymore. And because of that, AMD survived and became a more innovative company two decades later. (Also force Intel to give a $Billion+ to AMD for damages).

I think that we all can agree that if AMD was destroyed in the 00s because of Intel's discounts... our country would be in a worse spot today. Relative to "Chinese Juggernauts" or not, China doesn't matter in the discussion at all. Protecting AMD from Intel's anticompetitive behavior is simply better for us regardless of what the future has to offer. And we all know how close AMD came to bankruptcy, just a little bit more anticompetitive behavior from Intel would have probably killed them.

------------

The only way we keep innovating as a country is by preventing the top-dogs in our country from preventing innovation. Eventually Intel takes a step back (like today), and we will be happier for having other investments in other smaller companies (like AMD) who can step in and pickup the slack.

Today, NVidia is the top dog in GPUs and advanced accelerators (like AI compute). There's also a huge number of competitors to NVidia, not just AMD for GPUs, but also plenty of Tensor chips, etc. etc. etc. We need to ensure that these other ideas and companies have a fair shot at the market.