• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Unify Gaming "RDNA" and Data Center "CDNA" into "UDNA": Singular GPU Architecture Similar to NVIDIA's CUDA

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
According to new information from Tom's Hardware, AMD has announced plans to unify its consumer-focused gaming RDNA and data center CDNA graphics architectures into a single, unified design called "UDNA." The announcement was made by AMD's Jack Huynh, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Computing and Graphics Business Group, at IFA 2024 in Berlin. The goal of the new UDNA architecture is to provide a single focus point for developers so that each optimized application can run on consumer-grade GPU like Radeon RX 7900XTX as well as high-end data center GPU like Instinct MI300. This will create a unification similar to NVIDIA's CUDA, which enables CUDA-focused developers to run applications on everything ranging from laptops to data centers.

Jack Huynh said:
So, part of a big change at AMD is today we have a CDNA architecture for our Instinct data center GPUs and RDNA for the consumer stuff. It's forked. Going forward, we will call it UDNA. There'll be one unified architecture, both Instinct and client [consumer]. We'll unify it so that it will be so much easier for developers versus today, where they have to choose and value is not improving.

According to Jack Huynh, AMD "made some mistakes with the RDNA side; each time we change the memory hierarchy, the subsystem, it has to reset the matrix on the optimizations. I don't want to do that. So, going forward, we're thinking about not just RDNA 5, RDNA 6, RDNA 7, but UDNA 6 and UDNA 7. We plan the next three generations because once we get the optimizations, I don't want to have to change the memory hierarchy, and then we lose a lot of optimizations. So, we're kind of forcing that issue about full forward and backward compatibility. We do that on Xbox today; it's very doable but requires advanced planning. It's a lot more work to do, but that's the direction we're going."

When AMD originally separated CDNA from RDNA, the company wanted to create two separate entities and thought it would be easier to manage. However, it couldn't be further from the truth. Having two separate teams for optimizations is a nightmare both logistically and engineering-wise. Hence, the shift to a monolithic structure of GPU architectures is beneficial to the company in the long term and will ease the development of newer products with both gaming-focused and compute-focused teams at work. This strategy is similar to NVIDIA's CUDA, which has maintained its architecture line in a single lane, with added special accelerators for AI or/or ray tracing, which AMD also plans to do.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Wonder what the anticipated timeline is for the first UDNA part. Has this been in the pipeline for a while, so maybe next generation we will have a merge, or is this new so the merge will start happening in 2-5 years?

They will likely just go down a path of making the CUs more flexible in what designs they offer. Like Hopper has 80B transistors to GF4090 76B. Hopper has only 24ROPs compared to the GF4090s 176. If a datacenter GPU need RT or ROP capability, have your design more flexible where you can remove those components and add more of what is wanted. But the design for the components is shared across the entire stack. From datacenters, to embedded, to gaming to a little 2CU iGPU.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
So the rumors that RDNA 4 is just a small refresh of sort of RDNA3 and RDNA5 being the real new architecture seems more valid.

So in other words, RDNA5 will really be UDNA1.

Also as mentioned, they concentrated on Ryzen first and that bet paid off, now they are concentrating on Radeon/Instinct.

Lets see how it goes, but it does looks promising.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix CJR OEM DDR4-3200 @ 4000 20-22-20-48
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I hope this means that ROCm (the equivalent of the CUDA software suite) will provide official support for the entire range of next-gen consumer Radeons unlike what they are doing today - supporting just RX 7900 series. Other models might work or not, and if they don't you're on your own.
A major advantage of CUDA is its hardware and software ecosystem.
This is what annoys me the most. Unlike nvidia CUDA that works on any modern card, choosing AMD to use ROCm you need to read which product they supported. IIRC on Windows it support high end RX 6800 series as well, and all 7x00 series.

AMD shouldn't make two different arch in the first place, Vega is good for both workloads just need to tweak the software side and arch

Reactions: Jun
I love purposely ambiguous Venn Diagrams. So is AMD going for the intersection of just the RDNA and CDNA or are they going for the super small little intersection of RDNA, CDNA and general purpose?

As for not changing the memory architecture and using the Xbox as an example, I wonder if they are going towards a unified system wide memory architecture, where everything shares a single high bandwidth pool similar to data center GPUs and APUs as well as SoCs like Apple's Mx series.

10 years too late for what? Something they were already doing 13 years ago? GCN was already a combined architecture with a single programming model.
Statements like TheDeeGee's usually are made when you don't really know enough about something but want to sound like you do anyway. :)

I hope this lets them really advance on the software front. I think the GCN analogies area little misplaced here since GCN was of the era where AMD had zero cash to spend on iterating the design. GCN was great when it first landed in the 7k series after all.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
I love purposely ambiguous Venn Diagrams. So is AMD going for the intersection of just the RDNA and CDNA or are they going for the super small little intersection of RDNA, CDNA and general purpose?
Yeah that struck me too lol. They might as well have drawn one big circle. Or just not bothered at all and get on with it already, its not like many people really care until there's an actually killer product actually released, I reckon.

Where did you get the impression they're all hands on deck with RDNA / GPU development now as they were with Zen for CPU? There's no Jim Keller nearby, there's only the usual, we've heard it a dozen times before revamp of AMD's abbreviations... Lots of talk about great plans, and little to show for it.

I'm genuinely interested what you are basing your optimism on, is there a source?

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000 32GB (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster Merc 310 7900XTX
Storage Silicon Power 4TB XS70 PCIE4.0 + Silicon Power 4TB UD90 PCIE4.0+ Silicon Power 2TB A80 PCIE3.00NVM
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K UHD 165Hz
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S
Power Supply Rosewill Gaming 80 Plug Gold 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro
So, post VEGA they split into two separate achitectures and now they are shifting back to a unified architecture. :wtf: Honestly it makes sense. AMD is smaller than Nvidia with more limited resources. So having to optimize software for two architectures made little sense from a manpower standpoint. The question is will the UDNA architechture be able to perform well in both avenues. Whatever the case maybe, I hope AMD can get the GPU aspect of their business together. GPUs desparately need some short of shake up.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Memory 16 GB
Storage 2 TB SSD
Where did you get the impression they're all hands on deck with RDNA / GPU development now as they were with Zen for CPU? There's no Jim Keller nearby, there's only the usual, we've heard it a dozen times before revamp of AMD's abbreviations... Lots of talk about great plans, and little to show for it.

I'm genuinely interested what you are basing your optimism on, is there a source?
I will try to find it, maybe it was either Red Gaming or Moore Law is dead, but it was a rumor that RDNA4 is a refresh/error fixing of RDNA3 and hence why we are observing so "little" on AMD part and the reason for all this was the "fact" that RDNA5 was going to be a new design/initiative on their part.

So to me, the last two announcements (abandoning the high end and now this one) kind of align with that rumor.

Edit maybe was this article:

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Memory 16 GB
Storage 2 TB SSD
What? No sense to name something rDNA if isn't rDNA only. Maybe next generation after rDNA 5.
Maybe they do end up changing the names or maybe one of those 2 names is just an internal thing, since RDNA is more known, maybe they dont want to abandon it.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
RDNA, CDNA, XDNA, UDNA. This overuse of DNA is so dumb. The sheer lack of taste and imagination to come up with original terms, that are cool, catchy, tells the story and roll of the tongue is astonishing. Then add to it other marketing atrocities like Adrenalin, AFMF, Anti-Lag, HYPR-RX. I swear AMD's marketing is beyond salvation.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
RDNA, CDNA, XDNA, UDNA. This overuse of DNA is so dumb. The sheer lack of taste and imagination to come up with original terms, that are cool, catchy, tells the story and roll of the tongue is astonishing. Then add to it other marketing atrocities like Adrenalin, AFMF, Anti-Lag, HYPR-RX. I swear AMD's marketing is beyond salvation.
If I look at that list I'm thinking 'Wow, those are a lot of designer drugs'!

Advanced MicroDosing?

Maybe they do end up changing the names or maybe one of those 2 names is just an internal thing, since RDNA is more known, maybe they dont want to abandon it.
It makes sense to have a truly all-new architecture by the time the next generation of consoles is released. Thus, there will be more time for the new architecture to be well baked. Because rDNA itself has more to give on its own that seems to need a more general redesign. It is possible to include in rDNA 5 elements, for the purpose of testing in real conditions, which participate in the subsequent integration with cDNA.

sometimes you just want to say like "AMD please make up you mind already". they saw what nvidia did with kepler/maxwell and pascal/volta a few years ago and they try to do something similar to that. nvidia go back with compute architecture with turing while AMD decided to go RDNA/CDNA. now they go back with "unified" architecture strategy where pro and consumer share the same architecture just with their own tweak like nvidia currently did.

thing is nvidia kepler/maxwell and pascal/volta works for them because nvidia still properly support CUDA on their card regardless the card's architecture focus. with AMD when they go RDNA/CDNA route we saw that AMD try to support ROCm mostly on CDNA only. i still remember polaris and vega have some sort of ROCm support but effort is obviously lacking on RDNA and RDNA2.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air (24.8.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 20TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c 5800X3D https://valid.x86.fr/b7d
So the rumors that RDNA 4 is just a small refresh of sort of RDNA3 and RDNA5 being the real new architecture seems more valid.

So in other words, RDNA5 will really be UDNA1.

Also as mentioned, they concentrated on Ryzen first and that bet paid off, now they are concentrating on Radeon/Instinct.

Based on what he said I think it will start at RDNA 6 not 5.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Memory 16 GB
Storage 2 TB SSD
Based on what he said I think it will start at RDNA 6 not 5.
Its possible.

From Toms:
JH: So, one of the things we want to do is ...we made some mistakes with the RDNA side; each time we change the memory hierarchy, the subsystem, it has to reset the matrix on the optimizations. I don't want to do that.

So, going forward, we’re thinking about not just RDNA 5, RDNA 6, RDNA 7, but UDNA 6 and UDNA 7. We plan the next three generations because once we get the optimizations, I don't want to have to change the memory hierarchy, and then we lose a lot of optimizations. So, we're kind of forcing that issue about full forward and backward compatibility. We do that on Xbox today; it’s very doable but requires advanced planning. It’s a lot more work to do, but that’s the direction we’re going.
Interesting how he mentions RDNA5 but then says UDNA6, so it might be the case.

But if thats the case, then RDNA5 will simply be more of the same.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air (24.8.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 20TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c 5800X3D https://valid.x86.fr/b7d
Its possible.

From Toms:

Interesting how he mentions RDNA5 but then says UDNA6, so it might be the case.

But if thats the case, then RDNA5 will simply be more of the same.
I'm thinking RDNA 5 may already be too far in development but just a wild guess on my part.

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So, post VEGA they split into two separate achitectures and now they are shifting back to a unified architecture. :wtf: Honestly it makes sense. AMD is smaller than Nvidia with more limited resources. So having to optimize software for two architectures made little sense from a manpower standpoint. The question is will the UDNA architechture be able to perform well in both avenues. Whatever the case maybe, I hope AMD can get the GPU aspect of their business together. GPUs desparately need some short of shake up.
This is why Vega was still getting driver updates this far out. Vega's compute units are the same as the ones used on current Instinct cards. All CDNA is are the graphics engine components ripped out of GCN5.x and the associated tweaks made to optimize for that new die layout.

Wonder what the anticipated timeline is for the first UDNA part. Has this been in the pipeline for a while, so maybe next generation we will have a merge, or is this new so the merge will start happening in 2-5 years?

They will likely just go down a path of making the CUs more flexible in what designs they offer. Like Hopper has 80B transistors to GF4090 76B. Hopper has only 24ROPs compared to the GF4090s 176. If a datacenter GPU need RT or ROP capability, have your design more flexible where you can remove those components and add more of what is wanted. But the design for the components is shared across the entire stack. From datacenters, to embedded, to gaming to a little 2CU iGPU.
He gave you a clue. UDNA6. RDNA 5 is already locked in and being developed and progressing well. So at the very earliest it would be like 2027 when one would expect RDNA6 normally. But it might be the gen after, so 2028/29.

I'm thinking RDNA 5 may already be too far in development but just a wild guess on my part.
Not a wild guess, RDNA5 is very advanced, not a snoball's chance in hell they'd abandon it at this stage. It takes at least 3 years to design new gpu and that's starting with an existing previous design.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 with Arctic P12 Max fan
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Asus A21 Case
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
So AMD went back to pre-RDNA or GCN/Polaris era, personally I don't see that as a win nor a white flag, but I do hope they understand needs of market segmentation, not just plain cut down. As we already knew Vega, which I used two of them in Crossfire, is a bit underwhelming with its power consumption, HBM only serve as bragging and doesn't really make a big differences. Hopefully this time around they know what they are doing.