• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Confirms Retreat from the Enthusiast GPU Segment, to Focus on Gaining Market-Share

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Redux
Memory 4x8G Teamgroup Vulcan Z DDR4; 3600MHz @ CL18
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2X GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Storage WD_Black SN770, Leven JPS600, Toshiba DT01ACA
Display(s) Samsung ViewFinity S6
Case Fractal Design Pop Air TG
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB
Keyboard Keychron C2 Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
This works for me. If they can match the longevity that the RX 5700XT and the RX 6000 series in general is enjoying while bringing price down, I'm all for it. A 16GB GDDR6 card with decent midrange performance (so, somewhere between the 7700XT and 7800XT current) for like $380ish would be a sharp kick in the rear to actually start sliding the price scale back down. I just hope they pick up the high end with the Radeon PRO line so they're not losing out on professional clients. I remember they were doing an awesome job of filling in the gaps left by Quadro Ada.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
This works for me. If they can match the longevity that the RX 5700XT and the RX 6000 series in general is enjoying while bringing price down, I'm all for it. A 16GB GDDR6 card with decent midrange performance (so, somewhere between the 7700XT and 7800XT current) for like $380ish would be a sharp kick in the rear to actually start sliding the price scale back down. I just hope they pick up the high end with the Radeon PRO line so they're not losing out on professional clients. I remember they were doing an awesome job of filling in the gaps left by Quadro Ada.

What longevity does a card released 5 years ago, with incomplete DirectX API support, absolutely no matrix multiplication/tensor/ray acceleration functionality, buggy drivers, deficient encoding hardware, reliability issues to the extent it received literally 5 steppings while it was being manufactured, limited VRAM size from day one have? The 5700 XT is a good case of how to not make and maintain a GPU.

"Do I want to go after 10% of the TAM [Total Addressable Market] or 80%? I'm an 80% kind of guy because I don't want AMD to be the company that only people who can afford Porsches and Ferraris can buy."

Didn't know buying a $1200 gpu was the equivalent of buying a $120k car (911 carrera base model) o_O; i'll gladly trade my 4080 for a used 911 if anyone is out there! :D

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Somewhat understandable
View attachment 362660
According to the Steam hardware survey
You have to "go down" to the 16th place to see the first card which can be considered as a high-end.
This is not new, there are only a few exception - most of the money profit came on the mid to low tier cards.

What?
When was the last time when nVidia had competition on the top tier graphics card market?

Well, this is the problem isn't it...

Where is AMD's current mid-range cards on that list? It's still dominated by Nvidia.

I'd say it's still going to be difficult for AMD to break into that mid-range tier when Nvidia will still have an opposing product next gen.

I am wishing Radeons well. We need it!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Redux
Memory 4x8G Teamgroup Vulcan Z DDR4; 3600MHz @ CL18
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2X GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Storage WD_Black SN770, Leven JPS600, Toshiba DT01ACA
Display(s) Samsung ViewFinity S6
Case Fractal Design Pop Air TG
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB
Keyboard Keychron C2 Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
What longevity does a card released 5 years ago, with incomplete DirectX API support, absolutely no matrix multiplication/tensor/ray acceleration functionality, buggy drivers, deficient encoding hardware, reliability issues to the extent it received literally 5 steppings while it was being manufactured, limited VRAM size from day one have? The 5700 XT is a good case of how to not make and maintain a GPU.
"Released 5 years ago"
And still viable and in support, ergo still around.

"Incomplete DirectX API support"
Ah yes, lack of support for feature level 12_2, which includes... things it doesn't have in its design drafted in 2018. When DX12 Ultimate came out in 2020. Be real.

"No matrix multiplication/tensor/RT support"
When the competition barely had all of that in the card's heyday? When the people that have/are interested in a 5700XT probably won't be considering workloads like that?

"Buggy drivers"
This I'll concede, but that applies more to the card's earlier years than it does now.

"Deficient encoding hardware"
I will also concede VCN kind of sucking but that fact has not changed in comparison to NVENC/QSV at any point in the last decade or so. Didn't kneecap its sales nor sales of RX 6000 and RX 7000.

"Reliability issues requiring several revisions"
Much of what I could even dig up is solved by now or had existing workarounds at the time, cards that are still around can be/are fixed.

"Limited VRAM size."
Lemme grip you by the ear and rattle off some models you might be familiar with. 2070. 2070 SUPER. 2080. 2080 SUPER. 3060Ti. 3070. 3070Ti. 4060. 4060Ti 8G. A580. A750. A770 8G. Released around the same time or newer, or far newer, all hampered by the same 'lack of VRAM' you rest the blame on AMD for as if they were supposed to have some moment of divine providence to realize that The Last of Us Part 1 Remastered: Extra Shitty Port Edition (2023) will need more than 8GB. When the cards that roughly match it in performance have the same memory sizes and are still being used TODAY.

I highlighted how long the 5700XT has lasted as a card that you can slap into a PC and still use within its means, specifically in the segment that consumer Radeon targets: value-conscious gaming. Even its geriatric Polaris predecessor the RX 480/580 is still seeing use. Much of what you cite as it being a 'bad example' are issues that were either relevant only in its youth or a result of the card, shocker, being old. Get a grip.

Last edited:
System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
Some AMD fans are AMD's worst enemy. All of the mind-numbing hate just puts people off from wanting to be associated with the brand. AMD deserves better fans than that imo because they really do accomplish a hell of a lot with little resources.
It's ALWAYS AMD's mistake, or bad AMD fans or whatever with an AMD reference on it. NEVER EVER EVER Nvidia's or Intel's fault.

That's why AMD is limiting their investment in the PC gaming market. Why invest in a market where the consumers will go with any logical or illogical excuse and buy the competitor's product? Why invest in a hostile market?

I think AMD already can compete with nvidia
what they need to adjust is price - fix to $500
otherwise whole interview is whishful thinking
preis.JPG

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
This is extremely bad news for us enthusiasts. Without competition Ngreedia's prices will skyrocket. Prepare to pay at least $1499 for 5080 and $1999 for 5090:mad:

Unfortunately I don't even think you can call that skyrocketing, it's just normal at this point.

It's ALWAYS AMD's mistake, or bad AMD fans or whatever with an AMD reference on it. NEVER EVER EVER Nvidia's or Intel's fault.

That's why AMD is limiting their investment in the PC gaming market. Why invest in a market where the consumers will go with any logical or illogical excuse and buy the competitor's product? Why invest in a hostile market?

Yep, I remember when people accused AMD of forcing FSR only in starfield (a sponsored title) with zero proof and the game ended up having DLSS anyways. I don't seem to remember people making the same complaint for games that implemented DLSS and only added FSR later. People were outraged that AMD might want to promote it's own features in a game it's paying to sponsor meanwhile they praise Nvidia for doing the same thing.

People also complained that AMD was forcing it's sponsored games to use a large amount of VRAM, again with zero proof.

Meanwhile when Nvidia has a bug or an issue like the terrible 12VHPWR adapter, 3000 series transient spikes and noise feedback in the 12v sense pin, New World bricking cards, or the discord bug that lowered clocks, people blamed everyone but Nvidia.

Where is AMD's current mid-range cards on that list? It's still dominated by Nvidia.

I'd say it's still going to be difficult for AMD to break into that mid-range tier when Nvidia will still have an opposing product next gen.

Yep, AMD needs a Ryzen moment for their GPUs. They need to provide enough of a value advantage to make customer take notice, because most aren't even considering AMD.

That said I'm not sure they could have a Ryzen moment because Nvidia has been very aggressive in the past with it's pricing to prevent AMD from gaining marketshare. Nvidia could lower mid to low end GPU prices temporarily just to crash AMD and then things would return to normal the gen after. As we've seen with their AIBs and the AI market, they aren't afraid of coercion and other illegal tactics either.

System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE X570S AERO G
Cooling Be Quiet Black Rock 4 Pro
Memory HyperX 128GB Fury 4×32GB 3200MHz HX432C16FB3K4/128
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + Adata SX8200 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GOLD 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc

I was thinking about a week ago,
My last Geforce was the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320 in 2007,
I loved it, but kept buying ATi then AMD because it supported 3 displays (Eyefinity), sometimes it was better and sometimes it was cheaper.
Now I starting to hate it since AMD doing nothing to make the cool stuff accessible with their GPU-s (mostly AI which sometimes I use) and the incredibly s*#t drivers.
They just not deserving my money anymore...

View attachment 362696
I don't have recent experience with Nvidia drivers... but I can tell AMD is not doing well on that department.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

Every single article talking about AMD there's at least 2 or 3 dumdums scrrech about "muh mindshare, muh nGREEDia". If AMD can't take criticism for their poor decisions, then they deserve to go bankrupt. And people will come up with every excuse as to why Nvidia is responsible for AMD's decision making, as seen below:
Yep, I remember when people accused AMD of forcing FSR only in starfield (a sponsored title) with zero proof and the game ended up having DLSS anyways. I don't seem to remember people making the same complaint for games that implemented DLSS and only added FSR later. People were outraged that AMD might want to promote it's own features in a game it's paying to sponsor meanwhile they praise Nvidia for doing the same thing.
If you dont remember people blasting Nvidia, its because you have selective memory loss. Especially in the early days of DLSS, there were constant "waaah its gameworks 2.0" cryfests on the comments sections of every game that was DLSS only.
People also complained that AMD was forcing it's sponsored games to use a large amount of VRAM, again with zero proof.
Well that claim would be outright silly. I dont recall having ever seen this argument, but it may exist out there. I do remember peopel clowning on Ampere owners with their 16GB rDNA cards when the first memory hungry PS5 era games started coming out, and the 3070 couldnt run RE:Village or that other game nobody remembers.
Meanwhile when Nvidia has a bug or an issue like the terrible 12VHPWR adapter, 3000 series transient spikes and noise feedback in the 12v sense pin, New World bricking cards, or the discord bug that lowered clocks, people blamed everyone but Nvidia.
Holy selective memory batman. Can you even read? Because EVERY, and I mean EVERY, article on those issues here are chock full of people talking about how terrible nvidia is and blaming them for these issues.

I believe this is what they call misinformation. If you need to be this deluded to found your beliefs that the whole community hates AMD, maybe, just maybe, you have a bit of a victim complex.
Yep, AMD needs a Ryzen moment for their GPUs. They need to provide enough of a value advantage to make customer take notice, because most aren't even considering AMD.

That said I'm not sure they could have a Ryzen moment because Nvidia has been very aggressive in the past with it's pricing to prevent AMD from gaining marketshare. Nvidia could lower mid to low end GPU prices temporarily just to crash AMD and then things would return to normal the gen after. As we've seen with their AIBs and the AI market, they aren't afraid of coercion and other illegal tactics either.
Ndidia did not force AMD to overprice the 7700, the 7900xt, or the 6400/6500xt. That was all AMD's doing. AMD themselves have stated they no long want to produce value options, they want to be a "premium brand". AMD is not your friend. They want money, always have, always will.

In other words : we can't compete in next generation on high end, so we will try to compete in the low and mid end.
Nothing wrong with that, but as rumors have it RDNA 4 will top at RX7900XT to RX7900XTX performance with rt performance of 4070 to super and price of 500-600$, at best it will be OK performance/dollar improvement from last gen with stronger RT performance. All nvidia has to do is price their card within 10-15% more from AMD equivalent and people will pay the extra.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Every single article talking about AMD there's at least 2 or 3 dumdums scrrech about "muh mindshare, muh nGREEDia". If AMD can't take criticism for their poor decisions, then they deserve to go bankrupt. And people will come up with every excuse as to why Nvidia is responsible for AMD's decision making, as seen below:

If you dont remember people blasting Nvidia, its because you have selective memory loss. Especially in the early days of DLSS, there were constant "waaah its gameworks 2.0" cryfests on the comments sections of every game that was DLSS only.

Well that claim would be outright silly. I dont recall having ever seen this argument, but it may exist out there. I do remember peopel clowning on Ampere owners with their 16GB rDNA cards when the first memory hungry PS5 era games started coming out, and the 3070 couldnt run RE:Village or that other game nobody remembers.

Holy selective memory batman. Can you even read? Because EVERY, and I mean EVERY, article on those issues here are chock full of people talking about how terrible nvidia is and blaming them for these issues.

I believe this is what they call misinformation. If you need to be this deluded to found your beliefs that the whole community hates AMD, maybe, just maybe, you have a bit of a victim complex.

Ndidia did not force AMD to overprice the 7700, the 7900xt, or the 6400/6500xt. That was all AMD's doing. AMD themselves have stated they no long want to produce value options, they want to be a "premium brand". AMD is not your friend. They want money, always have, always will.

The bigger question is, can you make a comment without also lodging multiple Ad Hominem attacks. Challenge Impossible. Back into the ignore list for ya, not worth conversing with someone who can't behave themselves.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
That's fine. My typical budget is $250-$350CAD anyway for a gpu.

In other words : we can't compete in next generation on high end, so we will try to compete in the low and mid end.
Nothing wrong with that, but as rumors have it RDNA 4 will top at RX7900XT to RX7900XTX performance with rt performance of 4070 to super and price of 500-600$, at best it will be OK performance/dollar improvement from last gen with stronger RT performance. All nvidia has to do is price their card within 10-15% more from AMD equivalent and people will pay the extra.
Nvidia can price their cards 40% higher and people will still buy them. Just like iphones.............

Issue for me is that someone who sees a company release a 4090, will more likely purchase a GPU from them.

Those products (4090) not only sells relatively well but mainly serve as a flagship, a technological demonstrator and it works really well for Nvidia.

Now tbh, 2000-2500 EUR RTX5090, is that really relevant ? It's a very restricted class of consumers that can purchase one, it's way more than one month of minimum wage ("smic" around 1300 EUR) in France just to give reference.

...but you see a RTX 5090, marvel of engineering, it's a gigantic soft power, a gigantic ad for many consumers.

I think they should be in-between, no need to pursue the 4090/5090, but a 5080Ti would be the perfect spot for a 8950XTX, something with a smaller delta than a 7900XTX/4090..but not a direct 5090 contender, a cheaper in-between one that shows you still can pull a fight

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
View attachment 362696

Hm, let's see.

4070 Ti Super's 16 GB memory is not a hindrance to its performance, even at the highest resolutions that go beyond this class of hardware's capabilities in today's most VRAM hungry titles

4070 Ti Super will match the 7900 XT's raster performance

4070 Ti Super should be more than 20% faster at RT than the 7900 XT

4070 Ti Super is more power efficient than 7900 XT even in its strongest factory overclocked models, while pushing the heaviest ray tracing workloads - generating less heat to do so - in this specific case, the 7900 XT is likely power limited, but even at full tilt its still ~20 watts of difference under full load

4070 Ti Super features AD103 dual-engine NVENC which will record in 4:4:4 and HDR at high resolutions and frame rates at near zero latency

4070 Ti Super has access to NVIDIA Studio drivers which have stability and productivity application compatibility in mind

4070 Ti Super supports the full breadth of functionality in NVIDIA's RTX ecosystem, including Canvas, RTX AI, DLSS frame generation and ray reconstruction technologies, as well as full support for Intel's XeSS and AMD FidelityFX

I could go on, but it's obvious that AMD cannot compete and this gap will significantly widen as RDNA 4 targets RTX 4080's performance, lacks most of its feature set, and Blackwell's release is imminent. The return isn't worth the investment, Radeon buyers' mindshare doesn't line up, the wafers can be used at more profitable segments, the investment software-side is almost if not more of an Herculean effort to get up to par than the hardware... it's good that they came clean. AMD just cannot do it.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Crucial Gen 5 1 TB, Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
For 4K gaming, the 7900 XTX is perfectly acceptable. Average frames are ~ 20 FPS lower than the 4090, but you spend ~ $750 less than the 4090. With that $750 savings, you're averaging ~ 90 FPS across all games 4K tested in W1z's suite in Windows 11 (which is a hog, at some point I would love to see some mini reviews in Linux). Devote the money to a good processor and ram. RT is still a fantasy concept in 4K without scalers or ml. I honestly hate the concept of frame generation outside of consoles (the last 2 gens). I'm looking for pure raster performance without degraded imaging.

Competitive games like Counter Strike and DOTA 2 where high frames matter, you will see greater than 200+ frames in 4K max settings. I have a high 4k monitor with 240 hz. refresh, but it's just investment for future cards. The monitor really isn't a use case quite yet.

I honestly felt like AMD already gave this market away with their absence in competition for the 4090. Going further, would be a deal breaker for me on future cards with AMD... This generation, I would have loved to have seen a 7950 xtx (similar to the Asrock version I have https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-6950-xt-oc-formula/) or at minimum a binned Navi 31 similar to the XTXH (found in the power color ultimate version I have https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/powercolor-red-devil-rx-6900-xt-ultimate.b8752 ). With that being said, again they have already given up the enthusiast market. I'm already disappointed, and going further would be a move by AMD in my opinion.

Right now I have multiple AMD cards, 7900 XTX, 7900 XT, 6950 XT, 6900 XTXH, 6700 XT, and 6750 XT. These cards perform well for all their use cases. However, for my main PC, I'm looking for very good raster in 4K. AMD giving this market away loses me as customer.

AMD is in great position to compete, but investors want gains in AI.

Last edited:
System Name Blytzen
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Taichi Lite
Cooling Deepcool LS520 (240mm)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Dragon (16 gig)
Storage 2TB Crucial P5 Plus SSD, 80TB spinning rust in a NAS
Display(s) Agon 32" `1080p 144hz, Samsung 32" 4k
Case Coolermaster HAF 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech G733 and no speakers (replacements are under consideration)
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL tactile
Benchmark Scores Squats and calf raises
It depends on your target resolution and settings, too, I guess. To me, a 7900 GRE/XT level GPU with improved RT for £400-450 sounds great. Add reduced video playback power consumption into the mix, and I've got my next GPU.
I'd be willing to consider that.

I've just moved to all 4k (after our monitor discussion I pulled the trigger on a MSI MPG321URX) so 4k/high refresh is the aim. I'll be playing league of legends and solitaire at high refresh I guess.

I think after seeing what Wukong, Star Wars outlaws and now Space Marine 2 take to run at 4k and not get even near 120fps I'll be moderating my expectations for a generation or 3.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I remember when people accused AMD of forcing FSR only in starfield (a sponsored title) with zero proof
Half of the friggen tech press accused AMD of doing this, and yeah there was no proof, just a mountain of supporting evidence for that conclusion, they didn't come to this conclusion because they just wanted to hate on poor old AMD.