• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hong Kong Distributor Runs Out of Replacement Core i9-14900K, Offers Refunds

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air (24.9.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 20TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c 5800X3D https://valid.x86.fr/b7d
That's a nice way to drive people to the new platform.
We don't have more CPUs to give you, CPUs that we might have to replace again in 6-12 months, so here, take some money, sell your motherboard and jump to the next platform. Don't worry the next platform is perfect.
Ya but who is going to buy those boards knowing that all 13th and 14th gen chips will fail in time.

If I was in the used market i'm not touching any of it.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 32GB - 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600+16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB JUHOR / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, ONLY NVMes/ NVMes, SATA Storage / NVMe boot(Clover), SATA storage
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / CoolerMaster Elite 361 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / CoolerMaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10&Windows 11 / Windows 10
Ya but who is going to buy those boards knowing that all 13th and 14th gen chips will fail in time.

If I was in the used market i'm not touching any of it.
Too many. It's the next Intel platform and many where waiting for that platform to upgrade. Getting a refund, that will probably be much more than what they where expecting to get by selling their CPU in the second hand market, will even be seen as good luck for them. Many do have the time to tingle with their systems and many would never expect Intel to mess up for a second time in the row. And many would never consider an AMD platform anyway. Intel always had friendly coverage from the press, so this problem with 13th and 14th gen will be soon completely put in the past. I don't expect to affect Intel's sales at the slightest.

PS I misread your post, but I will leave the above paragraph. Those boards will be probably sold at a good price in the second hand market and it will be the opportunity for many to get a higher end motherboard for their current 12th/13th/14th gen CPUs, or upgrade from an older Intel platform while also getting their hands on a high end motherboard. Many will take as a fact that Intel 13th/14th problems are fixed and they will find the opportunity to build a high end system cheaper than what they where expecting.
The only thing it's really happening, is an acceleration of upgrades from owners of 12th/13th/14th gen systems to next gen Intel systems and from owners of much older Intel systems to second hand 12th/13th/14th CPUs.

Last edited:
System Name The Expanse
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 20TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Keyboard Corsair K100
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c 5800X3D https://valid.x86.fr/b7d
Intel has been throwing money into their fabs for years and years, first now its beginning to pay off, with 18A and beyond. However, they can also just use TSMC like everyone else for some of the chips (K/KF series)

What?

so I guess all of this is good news for intel.

Broadcom's Testing of Intel 18A Node Signals Disappointment, Still Not Ready for High-Volume Production

Intel’s “CHIPS Act” Escape Route Under Jeopardy As Biden Administration Poses Reservations

Intel 14th & 13th Gen RMA Requests Met With Huge Delays Due To Stock Availability Issues

Intel Looks For Options To Escape The Dire Financial Situation, Foundry Business Likely To Take A Massive Hit

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Last edited:
System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Bad news keeps coming? Not really:

Lunar Lake and Arrow Lake looks to be good, even very good. Intel beats both AMD and Qualcomm in mobile battery tests and is very competitive in performance (Intels APU beats AMDs APU in gaming tests). Leaks shows good perf at much lower power usage. They are using TSMC 3N aka 3nm - for Arrow Lake at least - and has node-advantage over AMD again. Intel 18A has good yields and should be ready for 2025 + Intel is soon granted 8.5 billion dollars too (Chip act - Thank you Joe Biden)

Things are turning pretty fast considering how bad AMD handled Zen 5 launch, with windows bugs, no guidelines for testing, powerlimited chips (9700X especially), delayed motherboards and no mention of 9000X3D. Zen 5 was a brand new arch that delivered close to no gain for regular people. AMD cheaped out on process-node as well, going with TSMC 4N which is 5nm instead of 3N/3nm which was ready (but more expensive) - Intels timing is perfect. They will be hitting the market like 3 months before Ryzen 9000X3D is revealed (CES 2025), lets hope 3D cache can fix Zen 5 for gamers especially.

Zen 5 / Ryzen 9000 is called the worst Ryzen launch by Tech Spot (go watch their video if in doubt) - Hardware Unboxed on youtube.

AMD still can't manage do to a full proper CPU release after all those years, meaning new chips and boards on day one, which is very sad. 800 series chipsets are pure rebrands but 600 series boards needs firmware update to work with 9000 series. Simply a terrible decision. Ryzen 9000 sales numbers are not bad, THEY ARE TERRIBLE.

AMD also struggle with dual CCD issues still, latency even increased on Zen 5, which means dual CCD chips are kinda crap for most regular people and especially gamers. This is why 7800X3D beats 7950X3D in gaming for example. 7900X3D is pretty terrible due to only 6 cores with 3D cache (hence the price, close to 7800X3D) - Sadly with AMD, you have to choose between 3D and non-3D. No chip does it all. Another issue AMD has. Gamers want SINGLE CCD chips, and 3D cache.

7800X3D is the best gaming chip today, I own one, but outside of gaming, its pretty meh. I could easily see myself going Intel 285K in a few weeks if they deliver. If not, I will probably replace it with a 9800X3D if clockspeeds are higher and they are unclocked for OC like rumours claim.

Intel raised warranty by 2 years on affected models, I bet return rate is like sub 2% - I know plenty of people with 13th and 14th gen i7s and i9s and they don't have any issues at all. You can be 100% sure that many people are trying to abuse this too. Hence the lack of chips possibly.

It is not like AMD is doing too well, their GPU business is a money-sink with little income. Their CPUs are good but their GPUs are pretty meh and they spend tons of CPU earnings on GPUs (mostly AI tho, gaming GPUs is a dead-end for AMD and they left high-end market officially here)

So yeah, instead of a full great Zen 5 release using TSMC 3N, AMD fcked up bigtime, in pretty much all areas and now Intel is ready to launch their true next gen platform and chips using a superior process. I'd say things are looking very good for Intel right now actually.

Intel has been throwing money into their fabs for years and years, first now its beginning to pay off, with 18A and beyond. However, they can also just use TSMC like everyone else for some of the chips (K/KF series)
Yes, on top of this, Intel still holds the overwhelming majority marketshare in all x86 segments....this actually means that all these "good things" for Intel are actually BAD for consumers.

You see, in a duopoly, the best thing for consumers would be a 50%/50% split in marketshare, therefore anything that moves the market further away from that is OBJECTIVELY bad for consumers...that means we should all be LAMENTING all those "advantages" for Intel you've laid out.

System Name Custom build, AMD/ATi powered.
Processor AMD FX™ 8350 [8x4.6 GHz]
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Memory Crucial, Ballistix Tactical, 16 GByte, 1866, CL9
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition, 2 GByte GDDR5
Storage 250/500/1500/2000 GByte, SSD: 60 GByte
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 950p
Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 Pro
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital High Definition Surround
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 580W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, SP 1
I'm wondering if this is the beginning of the flood of defective returns being insurmountable for Intel to cover?
Possible, yes. Likely as well, given how Intel handled all this. It probably already has quite a big impact financially on their already declined profits.
The upcoming quarterly earning reports are going to be quite interesting!

Of course, Intel rather would like to offer a comparable replacement in a SKU of similar fashion to satisfy the RMAs – Which means, if they ran out of replacement-SKUs already, it's going to cost them dearly and it could end up costing them hundreds of millions or even billions of profits … Depending on how severe the situation is for them.

They'd lose like 3-5× the money and the very profit they already made doing so! Since basically the only way they can keep most of the shady profit, is giving up a comparable SKU (thus, only have to write off the production-costs of that once produced yet now failed CPU). And they just can't run away from it …

Shareholders and especially investors are going to demand actual numbers on the 13th and 14th Gen-debacle (and underlying via-oxidation issues), and how long further and far-reaching the fall-out will be in any future and how much it will costs them in the long run going forward – With the extended warranty, Intel basically just kicked the lion-share of the problem's impacts just down the line.

Yet, the thing is, Intel is legally obligated to reimburse over the given amount either directly or through proxy (by their already quite fed-up retail- and business-partners). And no, they just can't refund the amount of e.g. a Tray-CPU's worth, when the CPU the consumer has bought, was purchased as a boxed-version one.
Since they're in fact legally obligated to either reimburse/refund the monetary value of the purchase, or replace it with 'a comparable SKU of similar fashion' …
Well, unless Intel is eager to catch another pocketful of legal sunshine aka class-action law-suits, of course.

OEMs are already at a loss and really don't like the aftermath of shuffling defective and 'safe' SKUs and all the logistics, only to end up doing the same once again in a couple of months … That's when the channel just shoves back the whole inventory and Intel has to reimburse them, including the costs of Intel-inflicted logistics atop.

Might end up quite nasty for Intel as a whole. Since we're already at a point, where the public (as enthusiasts) has now a greater interest in the earnings report's transcripts (which has been literally unheard of for a consumer-base of a manufacturer) and given details will end up being on the forefront of news-outlets (just like the recent yield-rate estimate did). If they reveal some ugly percentage of defects and RMAs, people might end up rushing to RMA their processors even more and to a higher degree, than they already did and further putting fuel on the fire Intel tried to put out with the longer warranty.

Right now, most have probably calmed their nerves with that microcode-update as some peace of mind. It might end up becoming a piece of mint quite soon!

I'd think they'd next offer either full refund or offer a comparable 12th Gen-SKU of similar fashion and reimburse the difference (at least, it's the same 1700-socket and the consumer just put it in place and carry on), if they even have such still anywhere in stock? Then again, it's only a matter of time until the upper end of 12th Gen-SKUs are depleted also and they then have no other option but to outright refund immediately, no questions asked. What a show…

Edith just wanted to note some short rough estimate over the costs over potential RMAs involved, based on the arithmetic average of both Gens' ASPs, for having …

If we take the mean value of both Gen's $ASPs ($398.26), thus Rocket Lake S' $ASP¹ ($398.65) and RPL-S Refresh' $ASP¹ ($397.87) for all +65W-SKUs and take the mean average of it ($398.65+$397.87 (÷2) = $398.26), then take a very conservative number of just 500K RMAs for granted, we already end up with costs for reimbursements of about $200 million USD ($398.26x500K = $199,130,000).

Given the cases may be even just a single million RMAs world-wide, when Intel has sold most definitely several millions of it – RPL-S sold better through the channels in the weeks after release than AMD's AM4/AM5-offerings! RPL-S Refresh was weaker with AMD's 3D-cache equipped SKUs – It might be very well a million consumers' RMAs waiting to be reimbursed ($398.26x1M = $398.260,000) and thus being worth nearly half a billion USD!

Considering that RMA-rates of 50% were sometimes mentioned for such specific SKUs, it's fairly easy to picture Intel's management sweating some heavy bullets already right now over the next upcoming earning releases, when they again have to strike another couple of hundred millions of profit off their already quite red-tinted balance-sheet, don't ya think?!

Then again, investors want to know, where that money aka further loss in profits went, despite higher projected revenues and profits. And when they find out how severe the RMAs and their numbers are, even nastier questions might arise about the absolutely justified questions of how such a manufacturing-blunder could be kept shut about and what other processes it may affect.

Trust me, Intel is in a really, really tough spot and darn great financial heat right now …

Ironically, their pretty sure imminent delisting off the Dow Jones Industrial Average as the sour loser and taillight of the whole index (only to be replaced by NVDA), might be ironically their only hope to temporarily get out of the current spotlight and relief a lot of pressure from their stock.

Yet again, said delisting wouldn't only come along with a extreme reputational loss for Intel itself and a loss of prestige like ten times the impact of losing Apple as a big industrial customer, it would mark a sheer flood of investors to flee their stock already and further increase INTC's utter downward-spiral towards pure chaos on their already well-beaten down stock market and trading-oblivion – Institutional investors who have a dividend-mandate, already have to terminate each and every positions in INTC when they announced the suspending of their dividends!

Depending on the financial impact of the RMAs alone, Intel could be in very serious financial trouble by the very next earning release, not to mention that the emergency-meeting of the board in two weeks (to present some viable axing-propositions) very likely might chop off the plant in Magdeburg, Germany completely forever (many consider the Magdeburg-plant being axed as already a given; Althera won't even remote net enough to save them and stabilise their financials) – Another further net-worth cancelation worth $11Bn off the balance-sheet on the credit column, many investors and share-holders will happily take as a their last and final straw to terminate their hold positions and wipe everything INTC off their portfolio …

Chain-reaction for a financial disaster in some already more than ugly position!

¹ $ASP as in arithmetic average of all 65W- and above SKU's selling-prices, thus Recommended Customer Price (RCP) at launch-time from the 13th and 14th Gens respectively;
Given RCPs are retrieved from the respective article on the English Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_Lake)

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
RMA centres running low on stock happens, this has made a story because of cause the past reported issues. The RMA rate is likely also higher than average making this more likely.

Some comments are completely unrelated to the article - they come with "how bad is AMD". I'm more interested in what the problem is with Intel CPUs, how come Intel's 7nm degrades and the other's 5nm doesn't?
Its already known, there is other stories and threads answering your question.

Have you missed the previous news explaining what happened?

System Name The Expanse
Keyboard Corsair K100
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I’d be surprised if any company of any kind ever made a failure rate public willingly. It’s little consolation to customers experiencing the issue, and that data only helps their competition. They are far better off not bringing attention to the issue and just quietly provide customer service to those with problems. The only way we might find out a rate is through a lawsuit, and I’d venture to guess that they’d settle the suit with a condition of sealing those records.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50, GPU with custom loop
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage A pack of SSDs totaling 3.2TB + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" 4K120 IPS + 32" 4K60 IPS + 24" 1080p60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless / Corsair HS35
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Who cares, 7000X3D were burning on release as well, people got over it eventually and we moved on
Wasn't that the motherboard manufacturers' fault, not AMD's?

System Name Custom build, AMD/ATi powered.
Processor AMD FX™ 8350 [8x4.6 GHz]
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Memory Crucial, Ballistix Tactical, 16 GByte, 1866, CL9
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition, 2 GByte GDDR5
Storage 250/500/1500/2000 GByte, SSD: 60 GByte
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 950p
Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 Pro
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital High Definition Surround
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 580W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, SP 1
I’d be surprised if any company of any kind ever made a failure rate public willingly.
Take AMD for instance with their segfault-bug. AMD didn't really downplayed that, like Intel has ever done! Even though it really mostly affected Linux.

AMD quite immediately acknowledged the bug, expressively mentioned possible affected batches (Ryzen 1xxx, produced before week 33 in 2017; Intel refuses to acknowledge the actual batches being affected by via-oxidation ever since!), tried to retrieve affected batches back from the channel and offered to freely send in a replacement-SKU. They even did so later on and send out free Upgrade-CPUs for when people got a board with older incompatible BIOS, to return the CPU afterwards. Intel never did any of that AFAIK.

Yet it were the media-outlets, which blew the issue totally out of proportion (same as the RX480 wattage-issue) and deliberately harmed the products reputation, when similar things happened before and virtually no-one cared. Media's picturing was outright defamatory, as AMD acknowledged the segfault-bug and replaced given SKUs free of charge.

Might not go that far though but the bad news just keeps coming for Intel.
I know, might come across as mean, but nothing what comes for Intel isn't well deserved.
Intel now only has to endure exactly that, what they lashed out to consumers and their business-customers already for years to decades.

Though it's literally deserved. Because since decades, the Intel board has worked really, really hard to antagonize pretty much everybody in the industry and reach that 'goal' to anger pretty much everyone and most of their customers, right?

Not only that, pretty much no other company has been playing this dirty and been so blatantly corrupt in their doings as Intel has been ever since, even GM or GE in their darkest days or Boeing, not even Broadcom hasn't been nearly as cut-throat (and they really try hard on this now). Others are mainly greedy, yet Intel has always been deliberately sh!tty and wilfully wicked, even if they had no need for it.

It's like as if they really just love being arseholes and have a really hard time getting their act together for being at leat nice once a year (to stop bullying the little sister and smack their little brother just for fun). They're often outright malicious while others are just merely mischievous. Even Apple can be quite arrogant and spiteful at times, but even they just know when it's enough and they may anger unnecessarily and start to wreck havoc. Yet Intel worked really hard to be that way from the beginning.

It's just like people sometimes remember being effed over and over again, until blatant hate amounts to rage, deservedly so.

Since whenever Intel has done something awful, they always made it worse through their actions immediately after and lately literally p!ssed off millions of their own customers by again secretly hiding defects again and shoved broken products into the shelves as if nothing happened. Never mind being single-handedly responsible for the industry's single-biggest security-flaws they also tried to haven been swept under the rug for the better part of a year. They really have no-one but themselves to blame.

Also, that German schadenfreude is not to wish ill intent onto someone but the exact contrary: Schadenfreude is the mere glee over someone else who has been really awful for a long time and somehow always got away with it – until he finally gets his karma. Schadenfreude is merely joy of justice being finally served towards the right (or rather bad) one.

Also, if anyone has damaged their reputation, it weren't their nay-sayers but Intel in and of itself first and foremost. The laugh is always on the loser.

Since Intel has torpedoed their own credibility for decades in finest salami tactics by always admitting bit by bit to what was already known and undisputable anyway and especially when it comes to nodes, processes, yields and general Chip'nStuff in the Foundry-site of things, they've basically tarnished their own trustworthiness with every statement of theirs – Always backpedaling, declare old road-maps as obsolete and issue new changed ones and shifting the goals, twisting words and refuting 'bad rumours' within hours on Twitter (only to later reveal, that these were in fact accurate, by the time these were made) and constantly re-issue new plans all of a sudden, as soon as something was about to be due, and their never-ending delays en masse, of course.

You can only fool for so long, until all believability is lost and people start making their own assumptions – If the former then plausibility-based thought-of future happenings even begin to render more likely to be true in the end, you're basically finished …

Talking about dangerously lethal cuts and self-inflicted wounds being tried to stop from bleeding with vigorously salted patches, while 'em trying to heal … and then wonder why it takes so long and the debt holders alongside the official bailiffs are come knocking.

You really just can't make up their stupid, they have to constantly display it instead.

That being said, there had to be a blatant sudden fall-out some day in the future to begin with from day one … Since they never ever came clean.
Intel's management wilfully passed up every chance for the truth, deliberately rejected every given opportunity to acknowledge delaying defects and refused to straighten things out with their investors and the public about their manufacturing-issues and publicly confess and acknowledge their former shady secrets for years to come.

They never wanted to put their cards on the table, despite being caught with their trousers down more than once. People called their bluff since years.
Now the sheriffs arrived, try to calm the enraged crowd and forces Intel at gunpoint to clear their pockets and leave them with their pockets turned inside out for good …

Let's hope the criminals get thrown into jail for more than a few nights.

All I can say is bad decisions usually have bad consequences.
It's not only that bad decisions have bad consequences – Every decision has consequences after all, and you can't run away from it.

Take their handling of the shortage before the bug, which Intel's board used to enrich themselves with when everyone had to buy Intel's CPUs due their HT and cluster-F of security-flaws. It's purely outraging, how utterly disgusting Intel handled all this and even increased their price-tags for the given SKUs in high demand partially by 2× when everyone was in short of CPUs and demand was sky-high, instead of giving at least rebates for the eff-ups Intel caused them in the first place.

Let's not forget how shady Intel played them and what their fall-out was at hyperscalers and the enterprise in general over Intel's Meltdown, Spectre, Foreshadow and alike and when their broken Hyper-Threading additionally resulted in the installed computing-power to be basically halved overnight!

What did Intel do? Intel didn't cut price-tags, at least not immediately – They did the exact opposite! Intel increased their price-tags for some huge short-term profits, only to kill their own customer-base in the long run. These operators and hyperscalers and the business operating these CPUs on any larger scale, had to basically order the same amount of CPUs again (after HT had to be deactivated from one day to the other, due to excessive security-threats, especially on anything virtualized).

That's the worst part, Intel didn't even really cut prices or slash their bill as a short-term solution – Intel was even stupid enough to increase their Xeon price-tags IIRC by like 2-3× for Cooper/Ice/Cascade Lake, when the self-inflicted shortages in 2018-2019 hit and enterprise needed to double down on Intel cores for their security-flaws, broken HT (making it necessary to buy the same amount of compute-power, broken HT halved the cores overnight) and whatnot.

They where too sure their standing weren't really affected by it in the long run and that their brand would be still strong at enterprise customers, since “Nobody got fired for buying IBM Intel!”, right? Intel as always was so sure of themselves and just thought that a few rebates here and there would make it – That their OEMs would do the rest, all the while listening to “With a little help from my friends” …

Yet later on, when pretty much no-one was buying Intel-stuff anymore and was replacing Intel's Xeons with AMD's Epyc, then they slashed price-tags suddenly by a lot on top off huge rebates, since they just had to by then, to even merely compete. Though the damage was already done at customers …

Stupid enough, Intel declared the utter revenue-increases during the shortages as a new base-line and was propagating it as the 'new normal', with their insanely profitable shortages even before the bug hit (which Intel somehow couldn't really participate from …). It was so daft and dangerous for Intel to even state that, it backfired hard – The shortage and bug only saved them time.

Well, turned out all the Big Business remembered and took whatever toll and shouldered however costs, to make darn sure, that they're never again in a position to be so painstakingly exploited by a single monopoly-holding company. That company was Intel. Since it p!ssed of a lot of their (enterprise-) customers, who made sure, that they won't ever be any dependent on Intel in the first place – Hence the following run on everything ARM.

Now, these companies are never again even consider Intel as a viable option in the first place. Not because x86 is bad (or AMD64/x86_64 for that matter), but they're basically done with being robbed by Intel for decades … Now Intel has lost each and everyone of them as a client, forever. As these former Intel-customers would rather take Amazon's AWS, AMD's Epyc or Ampere's Altra/Max or anything else (or even develop their own silicon), than ever again take anything Intel.

Yet now they're 'somehow' in trouble with profit-declines in datacenter, which where more than once +99%↓. As if no-one could've seen the results of it…

Now they're 'suddenly' in trouble … Among else, since they couldn't resist to eff it all up, by getting greedy at the single-worst time in their history and even milked their crying customers after having their Intel-labeled stuff basically go haywire overnight. Yet instead of at least showing some gratitude and humbleness for NOT being replaced by competitors at customers after their countless eff-ups, they f—ed customers over even harder.

So here they are, having major revenue-declines, profit outright collapsing in datacenter and being tight on money.
Luckily, no-one on God's green earth saw that coming from aeons away, how that could possibly happen to blow up in their face!

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Take AMD for instance with their segfault-bug. AMD didn't really downplayed that, like Intel has ever done! Even though it really mostly affected Linux.

AMD quite immediately acknowledged the bug, expressively mentioned possible affected batches (Ryzen 1xxx, produced before week 33 in 2017; Intel refuses to acknowledge the actual batches being affected by via-oxidation ever since!), tried to retrieve affected batches back from the channel and offered to freely send in a replacement-SKU. They even did so later on and send out free Upgrade-CPUs for when people got a board with older incompatible BIOS, to return the CPU afterwards. Intel never did any of that AFAIK.

Yet it were the media-outlets, which blew the issue totally out of proportion (same as the RX480 wattage-issue) and deliberately harmed the products reputation, when similar things happened before and virtually no-one cared. Media's picturing was outright defamatory, as AMD acknowledged the segfault-bug and replaced given SKUs free of charge.

I know, might come across as mean, but nothing what comes for Intel isn't well deserved.
Intel now only has to endure exactly that, what they lashed out to consumers and their business-customers already for years to decades.

Though it's literally deserved. Because since decades, the Intel board has worked really, really hard to antagonize pretty much everybody in the industry and reach that 'goal' to anger pretty much everyone and most of their customers, right?

Not only that, pretty much no other company has been playing this dirty and been so blatantly corrupt in their doings as Intel has been ever since, even GM or GE in their darkest days or Boeing, not even Broadcom hasn't been nearly as cut-throat (and they really try hard on this now). Others are mainly greedy, yet Intel has always been deliberately sh!tty and wilfully wicked, even if they had no need for it.

It's like as if they really just love being arseholes and have a really hard time getting their act together for being at leat nice once a year (to stop bullying the little sister and smack their little brother just for fun). They're often outright malicious while others are just merely mischievous. Even Apple can be quite arrogant and spiteful at times, but even they just know when it's enough and they may anger unnecessarily and start to wreck havoc. Yet Intel worked really hard to be that way from the beginning.

It's just like people sometimes remember being effed over and over again, until blatant hate amounts to rage, deservedly so.

Since whenever Intel has done something awful, they always made it worse through their actions immediately after and lately literally p!ssed off millions of their own customers by again secretly hiding defects again and shoved broken products into the shelves as if nothing happened. Never mind being single-handedly responsible for the industry's single-biggest security-flaws they also tried to haven been swept under the rug for the better part of a year. They really have no-one but themselves to blame.

Also, that German schadenfreude is not to wish ill intent onto someone but the exact contrary: Schadenfreude is the mere glee over someone else who has been really awful for a long time and somehow always got away with it – until he finally gets his karma. Schadenfreude is merely joy of justice being finally served towards the right (or rather bad) one.

Also, if anyone has damaged their reputation, it weren't their nay-sayers but Intel in and of itself first and foremost. The laugh is always on the loser.

Since Intel has torpedoed their own credibility for decades in finest salami tactics by always admitting bit by bit to what was already known and undisputable anyway and especially when it comes to nodes, processes, yields and general Chip'nStuff in the Foundry-site of things, they've basically tarnished their own trustworthiness with every statement of theirs – Always backpedaling, declare old road-maps as obsolete and issue new changed ones and shifting the goals, twisting words and refuting 'bad rumours' within hours on Twitter (only to later reveal, that these were in fact accurate, by the time these were made) and constantly re-issue new plans all of a sudden, as soon as something was about to be due, and their never-ending delays en masse, of course.

You can only fool for so long, until all believability is lost and people start making their own assumptions – If the former then plausibility-based thought-of future happenings even begin to render more likely to be true in the end, you're basically finished …

Talking about dangerously lethal cuts and self-inflicted wounds being tried to stop from bleeding with vigorously salted patches, while 'em trying to heal … and then wonder why it takes so long and the debt holders alongside the official bailiffs are come knocking.

You really just can't make up their stupid, they have to constantly display it instead.

That being said, there had to be a blatant sudden fall-out some day in the future to begin with from day one … Since they never ever came clean.
Intel's management wilfully passed up every chance for the truth, deliberately rejected every given opportunity to acknowledge delaying defects and refused to straighten things out with their investors and the public about their manufacturing-issues and publicly confess and acknowledge their former shady secrets for years to come.

They never wanted to put their cards on the table, despite being caught with their trousers down more than once. People called their bluff since years.
Now the sheriffs arrived, try to calm the enraged crowd and forces Intel at gunpoint to clear their pockets and leave them with their pockets turned inside out for good …

Let's hope the criminals get thrown into jail for more than a few nights.

It's not only that bad decisions have bad consequences – Every decision has consequences after all, and you can't run away from it.

Take their handling of the shortage before the bug, which Intel's board used to enrich themselves with when everyone had to buy Intel's CPUs due their HT and cluster-F of security-flaws. It's purely outraging, how utterly disgusting Intel handled all this and even increased their price-tags for the given SKUs in high demand partially by 2× when everyone was in short of CPUs and demand was sky-high, instead of giving at least rebates for the eff-ups Intel caused them in the first place.

Let's not forget how shady Intel played them and what their fall-out was at hyperscalers and the enterprise in general over Intel's Meltdown, Spectre, Foreshadow and alike and when their broken Hyper-Threading additionally resulted in the installed computing-power to be basically halved overnight!

What did Intel do? Intel didn't cut price-tags, at least not immediately – They did the exact opposite! Intel increased their price-tags for some huge short-term profits, only to kill their own customer-base in the long run. These operators and hyperscalers and the business operating these CPUs on any larger scale, had to basically order the same amount of CPUs again (after HT had to be deactivated from one day to the other, due to excessive security-threats, especially on anything virtualized).

That's the worst part, Intel didn't even really cut prices or slash their bill as a short-term solution – Intel was even stupid enough to increase their Xeon price-tags IIRC by like 2-3× for Cooper/Ice/Cascade Lake, when the self-inflicted shortages in 2018-2019 hit and enterprise needed to double down on Intel cores for their security-flaws, broken HT (making it necessary to buy the same amount of compute-power, broken HT halved the cores overnight) and whatnot.

They where too sure their standing weren't really affected by it in the long run and that their brand would be still strong at enterprise customers, since “Nobody got fired for buying IBM Intel!”, right? Intel as always was so sure of themselves and just thought that a few rebates here and there would make it – That their OEMs would do the rest, all the while listening to “With a little help from my friends” …

Yet later on, when pretty much no-one was buying Intel-stuff anymore and was replacing Intel's Xeons with AMD's Epyc, then they slashed price-tags suddenly by a lot on top off huge rebates, since they just had to by then, to even merely compete. Though the damage was already done at customers …

Stupid enough, Intel declared the utter revenue-increases during the shortages as a new base-line and was propagating it as the 'new normal', with their insanely profitable shortages even before the bug hit (which Intel somehow couldn't really participate from …). It was so daft and dangerous for Intel to even state that, it backfired hard – The shortage and bug only saved them time.

Well, turned out all the Big Business remembered and took whatever toll and shouldered however costs, to make darn sure, that they're never again in a position to be so painstakingly exploited by a single monopoly-holding company. That company was Intel. Since it p!ssed of a lot of their (enterprise-) customers, who made sure, that they won't ever be any dependent on Intel in the first place – Hence the following run on everything ARM.

Now, these companies are never again even consider Intel as a viable option in the first place. Not because x86 is bad (or AMD64/x86_64 for that matter), but they're basically done with being robbed by Intel for decades … Now Intel has lost each and everyone of them as a client, forever. As these former Intel-customers would rather take Amazon's AWS, AMD's Epyc or Ampere's Altra/Max or anything else (or even develop their own silicon), than ever again take anything Intel.

Yet now they're 'somehow' in trouble with profit-declines in datacenter, which where more than once +99%↓. As if no-one could've seen the results of it…

Now they're 'suddenly' in trouble … Among else, since they couldn't resist to eff it all up, by getting greedy at the single-worst time in their history and even milked their crying customers after having their Intel-labeled stuff basically go haywire overnight. Yet instead of at least showing some gratitude and humbleness for NOT being replaced by competitors at customers after their countless eff-ups, they f—ed customers over even harder.

So here they are, having major revenue-declines, profit outright collapsing in datacenter and being tight on money.
Luckily, no-one on God's green earth saw that coming from aeons away, how that could possibly happen to blow up in their face!
I know there is a lot of bad vibes between people who dont like Intel for their bad actions, and as such everything Intel says cant be trusted, the word is against AMD and so forth, Intel are in a bad patch right now, but companies always have good and bad periods, its clear there has been mistakes made somewhere, but I do think there is an over eagerness to kind of jump on it and then trying to blow up everything that has happened in to something bigger than what it is.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I know there is a lot of bad vibes between people who dont like Intel for their bad actions, and as such everything Intel says cant be trusted, the word is against AMD and so forth, Intel are in a bad patch right now, but companies always have good and bad speeds, its clear there has been mistakes made somewhere, but I do think there is an over eagerness to kind of jump on it and then trying to blow up everything that has happened in to something bigger than what it is.

If it were simply a screw up then I would agree but it's not. They denied there was a problem. Then they tried to pass the blame to mobo manufacturers. It is possibly true that they knew about the design flaw early on but went ahead anyway and kept their fingers crossed that the whole thing wouldn't blow up in their faces.

This is bigger than what you think. They are facing lawsuits over this. The government is investigating whether they can be trusted to steward the billions of dollars responsibly that was previously approved for them from the CHIPS Act. Their stock is down almost 50% in the last couple of months and this is just the beginning of their financial woes.

I don't see a minor setback in this mess. I see a clusterfuck created by Intel themselves.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
If it were simply a screw up then I would agree but it's not. They denied there was a problem. Then they tried to pass the blame to mobo manufacturers. It is possibly true that they knew about the design flaw early on but went ahead anyway and kept their fingers crossed that the whole thing wouldn't blow up in their faces.

This is bigger than what you think. They are facing lawsuits over this. The government is investigating whether they can be trusted to steward the billions of dollars responsibly that was previously approved for them from the CHIPS Act. Their stock is down almost 50% in the last couple of months and this is just the beginning of their financial woes.

I don't see a minor setback in this mess. I see a clusterfuck created by Intel themselves.
Well this is what I mean, your post reads to me that they were denying a problem that they knew existed, and that the motherboard vendors are some kind of innocent party who were not doing anything wrong when they were misconfiguring the default state of their bios's.

Intel had to spend some time investigating to find the cause which was not the oxidation incident, that was something that had happened but not related, so this is what I mean by blowing things up. Changing one story into another. They cannot tell customers what was wrong when they didnt know themselves.

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
Some comments are completely unrelated to the article - they come with "how bad is AMD". I'm more interested in what the problem is with Intel CPUs, how come Intel's 7nm degrades and the other's 5nm doesn't?

Intel 7 is a very mature (10 nm-class) process, but I'd be more surprised if it didn't degrade given the 1.6V peaks under 500+ ampères of current. The previous microcode and settings were truly running wild as evidenced by them dying in conservative settings and even in server systems. I reckon I only avoided damaging my i9-13900KS because I had undervolted it across all domains by 0.05V from the day I got it.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Are there any facts to proof that INTEL did not knew the root cause?
The onus is really to prove they did, in most civil countries its innocent until proven guilty.

It is also basic logic, why would Intel want people to keep speculating wild theories in the news, when they could shut it up by releasing a statement with the cause and a mitigation, which is what they did in August.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
The onus is really to prove they did, in most civil countries its innocent until proven guilty.

It is also basic logic, why would Intel want people to keep speculating wild theories in the news, when they could shut it up by releasing a statement with the cause and a mitigation, which is what they did in August.

Why does a company play dumb when telling the truth leads to worse consequences? Trying to avoid a class action lawsuit and a forced mass recall would be a couple of reasons. Also it's not entirely true that the microcode fix solved the problem. It did nothing to reverse the damage that had already been done.

That is why I said 'possibly true' in comment #39

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
I was kinda thinking something similiar, more like the onus is on the person who makes the claim. 64k did say "It is possibly true that they knew about the design flaw early on but went ahead anyway and kept their fingers crossed that the whole thing wouldn't blow up in their faces."

The possibly kinda doesn't make it an absolute statement, anything is possible. Something with 0.0001% chance is possible.

But at the same time, we all kinda knew what he what he was trying to say, and it shouldn't be up to you, to provide not only evidence, but proof, a much stronger word, implying 100% certainty, that 64k was wrong.

I mean if they weren't investigating, then they were working on figuring out a fix/delaying measure that didn't affect performance too much. I mean its one or the other.

Its likely intel knew they were pushing it with the voltages... but intel has done that before and its been fine. Doesn't necessarily mean they knew they were pushing out defective products.

Awe man this is giving me a headache. Can't we just all just agree that nobody knows for certain the exact details? Maybe it will all come out one day.... possibly during discovery? But until then. We are just speculating.

What do we really know as facts? Intel cpus are facing degradation/instability. High end skus have higher incident rates. Voltage is involved. Thats about it, that all we know for certain. Anything beyond that is some amount of conjecture. Maybe ringbus is involved. Maybe the imc is. Who knows?

Also it's not entirely true that the microcode fix solved the problem. It did nothing to reverse the damage that had already been done.
Right, because thats impossible. Hence the extended rma dates.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Why does a company play dumb when telling the truth leads to worse consequences? Trying to avoid a class action lawsuit and a forced mass recall would be a couple of reasons. Also it's not entirely true that the microcode fix solved the problem. It did nothing to reverse the damage that had already been done.
Again you are saying they are doing something that is just speculation. You have nothing that says there were covering something up, just judging based on things they have done in the past. Intel were also honest in that already broken chips will not be repaired by the microcode, instead they will replace the chips on an extended 5 year warranty. Nothing unusual has happened here in how they have responded.

Agree with iameatingjam really, we just accept it for what has been reported, and yes maybe in several years time we might hear a different story, that will be a new subject if and when it happens.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Again you are saying they are doing something that is just speculation. You have nothing that says there were covering something up, just judging based on things they have done in the past. Intel were also honest in that already broken chips will not be repaired by the microcode, instead they will replace the chips on an extended 5 year warranty. Nothing unusual has happened here in how they have responded.

True, after trying to deny there was a problem and then trying to pass the blame off to mobo manufacturers they did take some action. imo Intel can be considered more credible than a used car salesman right now....but only slightly more credible.