• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AI Demand Drives Enterprise SSD Contract Prices Up by 25% in Q2 and Boosts Supplier Revenues by Over 50%

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
TrendForce's latest reports reveal that the second quarter of 2024 saw a significant increase in demand for enterprise SSDs due to the increased deployment of NVIDIA GPU platforms and rising storage needs driven by AI applications, along with a surge in demand from server brands. The surge in demand for high-capacity SSDs for AI applications—coupled with suppliers' inability to adjust capacity in the first half of the year—resulted in a supply shortage that drove average enterprise SSD prices up by more than 25% QoQ. This price increase led to a revenue growth of over 50% for suppliers.

Looking ahead to the third quarter, demand from North American CSP customers continues to rise, and server brands show no signs of slowing down their orders, further boosting procurement volumes of enterprise SSD. With supply shortages persisting into the third quarter, TrendForce forecasts a 15% increase in contract prices compared to the previous quarter, with supplier revenues expected to grow by nearly 20%.

Samsung emerges as the biggest beneficiary of market recovery; SK hynix's shipments expected to grow in Q3
Adjustments of North American inventory concluded at the beginning of 2024 and enterprise SSD orders surged as companies actively invested in AI storage infrastructure. Samsung, maintaining a competitive edge with its comprehensive product lineup, secured its position as the market leader in Q2, with revenue rising to US$2.48 billion.

TrendForce notes that with more NVIDIA GPUs arriving in Q3, CSPs will continue to increase their enterprise SSD purchases. Moreover, as Samsung's PCIe 5.0 products progressively pass customer validation and begin ramping up in volume, the company's profitability is expected to grow, with revenues projected to increase by more than 20% QoQ.

Solidigm, a subsidiary of SK Group and the largest supplier of QLC enterprise SSDs, also benefited significantly from the surge in AI demand. Additionally, SK hynix secured more orders from server customers, boosting the group's total revenue to $1.824 billion in Q2, with a slight increase in market share to nearly 32%. With Solidigms' capacity expansion and continued momentum for high-capacity SSD orders into the second half of the year, SK hynix's shipments are expected to grow further, with revenues likely to rise accordingly.

Micron ranked third in enterprise SSD market share in Q2. The company's early mass production of high-capacity products in 2023 significantly boosted its shipment volumes in 2Q24. Combined with rising orders from server brands, Micron's revenue grew sharply to $780 million. The company is shifting its product focus to PCIe interface products as orders for high-capacity SSDs increase.

Kioxia also saw its Q2 enterprise SSD revenue rise to $490 million, driven by increasing demand from server brands. TrendForce states that the surge in AI and big data computing will continue to drive growth in enterprise SSD demand, surpassing that of consumer-grade products. Kioxia's advantage lies in its diverse product lineup, covering SATA, PCIe, and SAS interfaces, which could help it expand its market share in the future.

WDC saw a slight decline in demand from key customers in Q2, coupled with slower growth in its PCIe interface products compared to competitors, resulting in revenue of $164 million. In response, the company has shifted its focus to developing PCIe interface products and is increasing its collaboration with third-party controller manufacturers for PCIe 5.0. Additionally, WDC has introduced high-capacity QLC products.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F
Cooling Reeven RC-1205
Memory G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW TridentZ 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor x470 red devil
Storage Mushkin MKNSSDPL500GB-D8 Pilot 500GB
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case Phanteks PH-EC300PTG
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Super Flower SF-650F14MT(BK) Leadex 650W 80 Plus Silver
Mouse Cooler master m530
Keyboard Cheapo
This AI crap need to stop and people need to come back down to earth.

This AI crap need to stop and people need to come back down to earth.

They'll be some end use case to pay for the hundreds of billions of hardware build out...

Or it'll stop, eventually, because not economically viable.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Where's all this AI stuff anyway? I haven't seen it anywhere except from ChatGPT and a few deepfake parody videos on YouTube.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / Ryzen 5600X3D
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i / bequiet! Pure Rock Slim 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / lots
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF & S3222DGM 32"
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Where's all this AI stuff anyway? I haven't seen it anywhere except from ChatGPT and a few deepfake parody videos on YouTube.

For the life of me I can't remember where I heard it, but there is a company (which I never heard of, but apparently is worth billions) that's had AI since the late 90s. In the early 2000s the company stopped taking on investors and anyone that had invested with the company is worth millions and millions of dollars today. Whatever that company has had for the past 25-30 years, apparently everyone and their cousin have just been starting to get their feet wet over the past few years. If that's true, that's very interesting (but not so much that I cared to follow up and see if it was).

As for recent AI stuff that's not ChatGPT; I've heard of Claude, Meta, Gemini, Microsoft Copilot and that's all I can think of. I don't pay much attention to this crap. Right now everything that's out there is just parroting software, take in what is given to it and parrot it back in a way that mimics speech.

I'm sure there are big projects going on in other parts of the world that we don't hear much about, from places such as China, for example.

For end-consumers? I think you already saw Copilot, Gemini, the new AI on new smartphones, etc.
In the enterprise space every single system is reforging their AI with new models and sh1t.
That include autonomous vehicles, healthcare, all research you can think of, cybersecurity, big data analytics, data/text/voice processing... everything... The Google trackers collecting your data right now will be managed by AI.

System Name Nebulon B
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
For end-consumers? I think you already saw Copilot, Gemini, the new AI on new smartphones, etc.
Oh, it's my fault then. I avoid these like the plague because the results they give are often vague, incomplete, or sometimes even utterly false.

In the enterprise space every single system is reforging their AI with new models and sh1t.
That include autonomous vehicles, healthcare, all research you can think of, cybersecurity, big data analytics, data/text/voice processing... everything... The Google trackers collecting your data right now will be managed by AI.
Fair enough, thanks. :)