• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Diablo IV Reaches $1 Billion Milestone, Microtransactions Falling Below Activision's Usual Share

Cpt.Jank

Staff
Staff member
Diablo IV received some severe backlash over microtransactions when it launched back in 2023, with some bundles even costing more than the $69.99 base game. It appears, however, that its microtransaction-laden monetization strategy has paid off, according to an accidental leak on LinkedIn from senior product manager, Harrison Froeschke.

According to the now-deleted LinkedIn profile update, Diablo IV has managed to generate a total of $1 billion in total revenue since it launched, with $150 million of that coming from microtransactions and in-game purchases. Perhaps more interestingly, though, is the fact that this is unusually low for an Activision-Blizzard game.

While $150 million—15% of the game's total revenue—is nothing to scoff at, it turns out that it actually falls short of Activision-Blizzard's average revenue split. Data from Statista indicates that, in 2022 at least, as much as 78% of Activision-Blizzard's overall net revenue came from "in-game purchases, subscription services, and other revenues". Of course, this includes King, the mobile gaming division responsible for making Candy Crush, which would artificially elevate that figure.

King only makes free-to-play mobile games, however, so it's safe to assume its revenue only contributes to the $5.889 billion Activision-Blizzard made from in-game purchases and microtransactions in 2022. Eliminating King's $2.785 billion from Activision-Blizzard's 2022 earnings still leaves microtransactions accounting for $3.101 billion, while game purchases only resulted in $1.642 billion in revenue—that leaves microtransactions, subscriptions, and other in-game purchases at roughly 65% of Activision-Blizzard's entire revenue for 2022, compared to just 15% for Diablo IV alone.

Gamepressure managed to grab a screenshot of the LinkedIn post before it was deleted (see above), and while it doesn't explicitly mention subscriptions, it's safe to assume "bundle offers" also include recurring battle pass purchases made through the Diablo IV store. While it's clear gamers still spent sizeable sums of money in the Diablo IV in-game store, it seems as though the earlier criticisms of the game's hefty cosmetic purchase prices fairly accurately reflected the sentiments of players when the game initially launched.

The LinkedIn profile, which has seemingly been removed from the internet in its entirety, reads as follows:
  • Leading the monetization strategy of the store cosmetics, pricing, bundle offers, personalized discounts, and roadmap planning which have driven over $150M MTX lifetime revenue.
  • Executed every step of game sales since game pre-order to the first expansion by configuring and collaborating with other teams resulting in over $1B total lifetime revenue.
  • Collaborating with IP Stakeholders to bring in popular franchises into the world of Diablo via themed engagement incentives and cosmetics based on popular characters.
  • Designing and implementing the use of detailed data tags for all store products to not only enable a more powerful recommendation engine, but also allowing for better toggles for data dashboards.
  • Training other Product Managers all the tools and procedures needed to operate the shop and battle pass successfully, including contention plans and contact lists.

Regardless, Activision-Blizzard and its parent company, Microsoft, must think the in-game microtransactions are a success, because the game is still actively being maintained, with the upcoming Vessel of Hatred, a paid expansion, landing on October 8, bringing with it a new season battle pass and likely new cosmetics to go with the new class, region, and story.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
This, just in (well, about a week ago):

The battle against virtual currencies in games is going to end up leaving ActiMic with even less MTX revenue.
Sucks that they've already basically abandoned a proper game without it. Or maybe its just great news. The banhammer is coming

- co signed, this member ;)

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I never understood people paying for useless microtransactions, but hey, that's just me...
And the revenues for those are just callous.
No way D4 deserves that much revenue considering how bad that game is...

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
I have actively avoided D4 despite my son in laws constant pestering for this very reason. I want nothing to do with a game that peddles micro transactions. And it kills me to avoid a game I'm sure I would enjoy immensely.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro

The battle against virtual currencies in games is going to end up leaving ActiMic with even less MTX revenue.
Sucks that they've already basically abandoned a proper game without it. Or maybe its just great news. The banhammer is coming

At first glance, I thought, why file a complaint with the EU, why not just avoid microtransactions altogether like I have? But then I saw the point about children.

So yeah, I agree, microtransactions and in-game currencies should be banned.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I have actively avoided D4 despite my son in laws constant pestering for this very reason. I want nothing to do with a game that peddles micro transactions. And it kills me to avoid a game I'm sure I would enjoy immensely.

FWIW I've played D4 for some hours now and I don't know where I'm even supposed to buy those things.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
150 million dollars is a lot of revenue but it's not really when you look at today's gaming market. Some games take in billions of dollars from MTs. I'm looking at you Fortnite. Publishers design entire games around selling MTs unless you have the patience to grind relentlessly to get anywhere. Ubisoft said in an Annual Financial Report 5 years ago that MT revenue had already exceeded the actual game sales revenue. I can't put my finger on when the avalanche of MTs began but it all started with the cosmetic Horse Armor in Oblivion. A lot of gamers back then laughed at the idea but look at where we are now.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
1726658092738.jpeg

Some things never change

Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000

The the death of fake digital currencies needs to happen. I welcome digital currencies death. I don't think there's a single consumer that likes paying let's say $9.99 for 1500 (X)coins, with the items on the store all being 1330 (X)coins or whatever typical oddball price they happen to be to make sure you have a few of their useless coins leftover.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
150 million dollars is a lot of revenue but it's not really when you look at today's gaming market. Some games take in billions of dollars from MTs. I'm looking at you Fortnite. Publishers design entire games around selling MTs unless you have the patience to grind relentlessly to get anywhere. Ubisoft said in an Annual Financial Report 5 years ago that MT revenue had already exceeded the actual game sales revenue. I can't put my finger on when the avalanche of MTs began but it all started with the cosmetic Horse Armor in Oblivion. A lot of gamers back then laughed at the idea but look at where we are now.
I still laugh at the idea, to be honest.

Reactions: 64K
Processor 7800X3D
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Mouse XTRFY M42
Honestly D4 was the worst 59,99 I've ever spent in my gaming life. From the very onset of the game you can smell the Blizzard treadmill and the utter boredom and 'managed experience' they try to maintain. Its a game that tells you to build whatever, and then handicaps anything that might rise above the status quo, because 'balance'... What the fuck, balance? I'm killing NPCs.

And then there's all the nonsense around it.... I"m playing WH40K Inquisitor now and it has literally every single feature as well... but NO MTX to pay for it. Its just all ingame currency with no cash involved, and then, suddenly all these systems feel the way they should. No timed exclusivity, just a bunch of unlocks to get cosmetic features, so you have in-game goals for it as well, adding to the actual replay value by just promoting 'content' to play. There is some timed stuff like building reputation with the 3 Ordos to unlock better store content for them, and again, because there's no monetary system behind it, the game's fine with you adding several Tarot card bonuses to bypass / speed up the reputation gain massively, so you can comfortably get new store additions in your current play session and aren't forced to wait.

Its those little differences that show you how detrimental MTX are to the game itself. Even if they're cosmetic - there's always an influence and its never positive. So in a practical sense you're paying for a worse game with forced online. Not only is the code never yours or under your control, you're also constantly being screwed over and manipulated into buying more of this bad product.

Never. Again.

Honestly D4 was the worst 59,99 I've ever spent in my gaming life. From the very onset of the game you can smell the Blizzard treadmill and the utter boredom and 'managed experience' they try to maintain. Its a game that tells you to build whatever, and then handicaps anything that might rise above the status quo, because 'balance'... What the fuck, balance? I'm killing NPCs.

Same. Compare to a masterpiece like Elden Ring which I played for 180 hours and there is just no comparison to Diablo 4 which looks and plays like a mobile game. Diablo 4 is $42 on Steam or else I wouldn't have touched it, and even then I barely got 40 hours out of it before the easy utterly mindless spamfest took its toll. This franchise which was perfect with D1 and D2 is totally done imo. No idea how it made $1Bn it's disgusting to me, but oh well, people like what they like.

Ruru

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Arctic Freezer 50, GPU with custom loop
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF OC 10GB
Storage A pack of SSDs totaling 3.2TB + 3TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" 4K120 IPS + 32" 4K60 IPS + 24" 1080p60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless / Corsair HS35
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis
Still haven't even tested it despite spending hundreds of hours with D2 20 years ago. D3 after the expansion was okay, but still a little disappointing.

If it's on sale for like 20EUR, I may buy it.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I never understood people paying for useless microtransactions,
hey, want to buy some gently used horse armor for Skyrim?
. I want nothing to do with a game that peddles micro transactions.
They don't peddle it, it's all cosmetic and does not impact your actual gear or "story". I actually enjoyed the game when I played it (got it for around $29) and probably put 60+ hours into it so I feel I got my money's worth.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

And then there's all the nonsense around it.... I"m playing WH40K Inquisitor now and it has literally every single feature as well... but NO MTX to pay for it. Its just all ingame currency with no cash involved, and then, suddenly all these systems feel the way they should. No timed exclusivity, just a bunch of unlocks to get cosmetic features, so you have in-game goals for it as well, adding to the actual replay value by just promoting 'content' to play. There is some timed stuff like building reputation with the 3 Ordos to unlock better store content for them, and again, because there's no monetary system behind it, the game's fine with you adding several Tarot card bonuses to bypass / speed up the reputation gain massively, so you can comfortably get new store additions in your current play session and aren't forced to wait.

Its those little differences that show you how detrimental MTX are to the game itself. Even if they're cosmetic - there's always an influence and its never positive. So in a practical sense you're paying for a worse game with forced online. Not only is the code never yours or under your control, you're also constantly being screwed over and manipulated into buying more of this bad product.

Never. Again.
Yeah, bungie does the same with the “bait n’ nerf” on weapons and gear. All you really end up with is gear that looks different and acts different, but the results are the same.

System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 9950X
Motherboard ASUS ProArt X870E-CREATOR WIFI
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 5
Memory Kingston Fury KF560C32RSK2-96 (2×48GB 6GHz)
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + FURY Renegade 2TB+ Adata 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic 1300W 80+ Gold Prime
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/ilvewh https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 X570 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc
Microtransactions should be illegal

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
What if they're done right and you want to support the development team?
How can microtransactions be done right?

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I don't mind paying $5bucks for some cosmetic DLC items that have no impact on gameplay while developer continuously provides new features. Squad is one example, game was released in 2020 run by smaller studio, seeing how I've got nearly 4000 hours in it I didn't see a problem in spending $15 in total on DLC.

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
Path of Exile.

But paid game and MTX / seasonal paid content? That's already crossing the line imho.

System Name Nebulon B
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't mind paying $5bucks for some cosmetic DLC items that have no impact on gameplay while developer continuously provides new features. Squad is one example, game was released in 2020 run by smaller studio, seeing how I've got nearly 4000 hours in it I didn't see a problem in spending $15 in total on DLC.
Have it as you wish. Personally, I'm not willing to pay a single penny for cosmetics that add nothing to the game at all. MTX that do add to the game turn it into pay-to-win, which is simply disgusting.

If a smaller studio makes a great game on a small budget, then I'll be willing to buy that game. It's that simple. I don't want to be subjected to petty tricks to get money out of my pocket.

Path of Exile.

But paid game and MTX / seasonal paid content? That's already crossing the line imho.
I don't know that game.

MTX and seasonal content are both sick and wrong, whether they appear together or not.

Another thing is that microtransactions are the most prevalent in multiplayer games that only run as long as its servers are running. Why should I keep pumping money into a temporary thing?
This is one of the reasons why I hate multiplayer. It's money spent on a temporary flick. Money you'll never get back.

System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 9950X
Motherboard ASUS ProArt X870E-CREATOR WIFI
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 5
Memory Kingston Fury KF560C32RSK2-96 (2×48GB 6GHz)
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + FURY Renegade 2TB+ Adata 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic 1300W 80+ Gold Prime
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/ilvewh https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 X570 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc
What if they're done right and you want to support the development team?
You can buy the game on full price, also convince my friends not to participate in supporting "microtransactions".

Processor 7800X3D
Mouse XTRFY M42
Have it as you wish. Personally, I'm not willing to pay a single penny for cosmetics that add nothing to the game at all. MTX that do add to the game turn it into pay-to-win, which is simply disgusting.

If a smaller studio makes a great game on a small budget, then I'll be willing to buy that game. It's that simple. I don't want to be subjected to petty tricks to get money out of my pocket.

I don't know that game.

MTX and seasonal content are both sick and wrong, whether they appear together or not.

Another thing is that microtransactions are the most prevalent in multiplayer games that only run as long as its servers are running. Why should I keep pumping money into a temporary thing?
This is one of the reasons why I hate multiplayer. It's money spent on a temporary flick. Money you'll never get back.
Path of Exile is
- F2P
- All content and updates are free (no seasonal paid dlc)
- The MTX are not pay to win, but rather: stash tabs to store more stuff, and cosmetics. There is a natural synergy here between frequent playing and then buying some stash tabs, and this is why it works. In a practical sense, you will at some point pay 20 bucks to get a substantial number of those stash tabs. They also go on sale from time to time; it never really feels like they want to extract maximum cash out of you, but rather just 'ask for a reasonable fee', and you are in control how high that fee really is.

If you are still playing after a long time, you will probably be buying more stash tabs. It also helps that the way these tabs work is excellent. They invented the idea of custom tabs: give a color, a name to them, sort them how you want, etc. We see this in various other games now.