• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Single-Player Games Lose to PVP in Younger Audiences Despite Recent Hits

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG UltraFine 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S (hosted on a different PC)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.7
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Remember that enjoyment of any activity is pretty subjective and I'm not just talking about videogames or games. If someone can't explain why they prefer Valorant over Apex Legends, that's fine by me. Hell, I don't get all flustered if someone can't explain why they like cricket over baseball or snowboarding over rock climbing.

But if someone can’t articulate why they like a particular activity, that doesn’t make the activity dismissible. It just means that person isn’t particularly eloquent.

But it's important to note that videogames are games. Most people play them to have fun. Just like youth football, pickup games at the neighborhood basketball court, mixed doubles tennis, a round of golf, skateboarding, whatever.

I still maintain that videogames are relatively inexpensive entertainment when you look at the cost over time. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was $60 at launch (1998). That's like $130 in today's dollars adjusted for inflation. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is $70 full retail (goes on sale from time to time). How long is a Legend of Zelda playthrough?

What's the price of a movie ticket? Even if the movie is very long, very few go beyond 160 minutes.

What are the costs to send a kid to a youth football league? Swim team?

In the end, I'm not sure if most young people care that CoD costs money up front where another game is free-to-play. If they want to play with their friends, they'll pony up the money. Criticize the sports videogame franchises all you want but I'm pretty sure buying one of those sports videogames is cheaper than buying a couple of tickets to a Premier League match.

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R7 7950X3D Stock
Motherboard X670E Aorus Pro X/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory Trident Z5 Neo 6000/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) A whole bunch OLED, VA, IPS.....
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Logitech - G915 LIGHTSPEED / Logitech G Pro
Remember that enjoyment of any activity is pretty subjective and I'm not just talking about videogames or games. If someone can't explain why they prefer Valorant over Apex Legends, that's fine by me. Hell, I don't get all flustered if someone can't explain why they like cricket over baseball or snowboarding over rock climbing.

But it's important to note that videogames are games. Most people play them to have fun. Just like youth football, pickup games at the neighborhood basketball court, mixed doubles tennis, a round of golf, skateboarding, whatever.

I still maintain that videogames are relatively inexpensive entertainment when you look at the cost over time. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was $60 at launch (1998). That's like $130 in today's dollars adjusted for inflation. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is $70 full retail (goes on sale from time to time). How long is a Legend of Zelda playthrough?

What's the price of a movie ticket? Even if the movie is very long, very few go beyond 160 minutes.

What are the costs to send a kid to a youth football league? Swim team?

I agree, what others spend on entertainment is none of my business we all have different taste in movies, music, food, entertainment doesn't make any of it good or bad it just comes down to what one chooses to do with their time/money.

I almost get the impression that people are upset others enjoy stuff they do not like which makes no sense to me.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Only up to a certain age. I’m 57. We grew up with crude single player games on PC’s and that’s where many of us GenX still are.
That's where I'm at. I barely touch multi-player at all.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
It probably comes down to how much one values 60-70 bucks.... A couple hours of work to play a game for 6-8 months with my buddies isn't a large investment 1-2 times a year assuming we get multiple new MP games that year ofc. I can't even go out to eat with my wife for that and going to the movies cost about half that or more these days so it's pretty insignificant. I would imagine a lot of people only buy cod and that is it or whatever their MP or sports game of choice is every year.
For me it is awareness. I absolutely love Humble Choice. For $14 a month I get Games that I actually enjoy playing. As an example Destroy all Humans 1 and 2. Just pure arcade like PC Gaming fun. Yes you get Multiplayer Games like

Nothing really wrong with any of this
I disagree but that would just be personal perspective. PVP/PVE games are just vapid junk. Kinda says a lot about the sad state of things in the world.

Only up to a certain age. I’m 57. We grew up with crude single player games on PC’s and that’s where many of us GenX still are.
That's where I'm at. I barely touch multi-player at all.
Same here..

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG UltraFine 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S (hosted on a different PC)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.7
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I agree, what others spend on entertainment is none of my business we all have different taste in movies, music, food, entertainment doesn't make any of it good or bad it just comes down to what one chooses to do with their time/money.

I almost get the impression that people are upset others enjoy stuff they do not like which makes no sense to me.
It is weird. It would be like Wagner fans getting pissed off because someone else prefers Verdi or Händel. Or someone likes ocean spear fishing over fly fishing.

Tech nerds are really, really strange sometimes. I’ve never had this type of conversation with any of my classical music acquaintances but this sort of discussion comes up frequently in tech forums.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
For me it is awareness. I absolutely love Humble Choice. For $14 a month I get Games that I actually enjoy playing. As an example Destroy all Humans 1 and 2. Just pure arcade like PC Gaming fun. Yes you get Multiplayer Games like

I can't remember the last humble bundle I purchased but they do typically have awesome value. The current one has interesting games.

It is weird. It would be like Wagner fans getting pissed off because someone else prefers Verdi or Händel. Or someone likes ocean spear fishing over fly fishing.

Tech nerds are really, really strange sometimes. I’ve never had this type of conversation with any of my classical music acquaintances but this sort of discussion comes up frequently in tech forums.

Yeah, I can understand being on the outside looking in for someone who doesn't actually buy the games thinking they are pointless or too similar or whatever but those games aren't made for them just like not every game is made for me and that's ok I'm glad there s still a decent variety of games. Now I can agree with anyone that the current state of AAA gaming is troubling with studios wanting to take 0 chance due to ballooning development cost but that's a completely different topic. I'd also be on board with Microsoft giving the CoD developers longer maybe switching to a biannual release but my guess is I'm in the minority in that sentiment.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Can someone explain the appeal of CoD to me? I don't mean the first one or second one, I mean the 7435784th one. It seems to me like the same game over and over again. :confused:

The multi-player FPS market is in a horrid state and has been for a long time. Overwatch was the only decent FPS until they nuked it from orbit with OW2 and forcing the game to be kill focused instead of teamwork focused. But yeah that might have been intentional given activision owns blizzard and picks up these FPS gamers regardless of where they go. Halo pretty much offed itself with how poorly they executed on infinite. Plus the auto-aim advantage on guns like the battle rifle is just insane for controller players. "Pro" console players get some 70% perfect kill rate, the best M&K players get a 35% rate. Even if the game didn't have other issues, this would be hurting the game just like the over-tuned auto-aim in games like Apex did. M&K players where switching to controllers and with only a month of practice were able to get to their M&K level of performance with the help of auto-aim. Auto-aim in general just doesn't belong in any cross-play game period.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
The problem I have with SP games now is there's almost always room for co-op and it just isn't there. If there's no co-op I don't even look at it unless it's 90% off.
Also, almost every single sp game is capable of a death match mode or a basic capture the flag. Asking $60 and having budgets of $200m+ is kinda inexcusable not having a basic mode.
I would love to see a Car Mechanic Simulator capture the flag mode.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
You'd actually have to play them to know but Vanguard, Black ops CW, and MW 2/3 are all different enough with completely different settings to justify a purchase if you have a group of friends to play them.

Now if they are good or bad games is completely subjective.
Sure, I never said they're not good games. Just that I don't see much, if any difference between them, and as such, any reason to spend money on them every year, personally.

I still understand your point of view I feel most indie games are a waste of money and time and most SP stuff these days regardless of how much alike or different they are pretty crappy.
There are many poorly made indie games out there, but there's quite a few rare gems, too. Stray was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and I don't even think it cost me 20 quid.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
There are many poorly made indie games out there, but there's quite a few rare gems, too. Stray was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and I don't even think it cost me 20 quid.

Have heard good things about that game, unfortunately it sounds like the entire development team resign due to management.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Can't really speak against this; I would have been a part of those statistics.
Q3A, Halo PC, FEAR, CS:S, CoD4, etc. were 'my jam', back then.

Only with age and experience have I found (clear) preference for Co-Op/'PvE MP' and SP games.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Can't really speak against this; I would have been a part of those statistics.
Q3A, Halo PC, FEAR, CS:S, CoD4, etc. were 'my jam', back then.

Only with age and experience have I found (clear) preference for Co-Op/'PvE MP' and SP games.
One of my faves is Aliens Fire Team. The missions are nice and long and requires absolute teamwork.

I was a server admin/server owner for TF2 and CSGO for 5 years, that soured me on playing PvP first games and interacting with the sorts of people that play them.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) 48" LG OLED C4
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Death Adder v3
Keyboard Razor Huntsman V3 Pro TKL
Software win11
Sad reality is the older we get the fewer friends we have, my gaming circle just got smaller and smaller so I play more single player games these days

Gone were the days I play DOTA2 all night with friends :cry:.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Sad reality is the older we get the fewer friends we have, my gaming circle just got smaller and smaller so I play more single player games these days

I miss the "the suns not up yet, you can't get off" days lol.

To be young again lol.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Timmy knows his audience, day care centers & retirement homes :pimp:
Can you imagine Old Age homes in 15 to 25 years? Handhelds will be the rage lol.

Can you imagine Old Age homes in 15 to 25 years? Handhelds will be the rage lol.
I can imagine a lot of things from the future; in general, the world is getting more isolationist and lonely ~ just an observation. Video games, among other things, are replacing humans for some many :shadedshu:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I think this makes sense, the developmental years, are generally about the social experiences in every culture. As you get older those interactions are less important and less needed.

I dont need to be able to play 4 hours of unreal tournament with you to create a way to relate.

imo and as the graph shows, SP games are better for the majority of the gaming age brackets. generally more thought provoking, and I can escape and put myselves as that character if I so choose.

Things I definitely valued less when I was younger.

Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
One of my faves is Aliens Fire Team. The missions are nice and long and requires absolute teamwork.
Will look into and share w/ usual teammate.
I was a server admin/server owner for TF2 and CSGO for 5 years, that soured me on playing PvP first games and interacting with the sorts of people that play them.
*very* understandable. Still, disturbing and saddening.

I have a friend(same as mentioned above) admin'ing a couple smaller Discord servers. Some of the things he's dealt with are a new-to-me level of disturbing. -mind you, I'm of the LiveLeak, etc. era of Internet Denizenry, so that's saying something.

That may not be my genre but, I can relate.
Family, GFs/wives/SOs, children, etc. end up (mostly-understandably) taking priority; people move away, leave school/college/job, and we lose touch.
NtM, the consequences of all-night gaming sessions are a bit heavier, when you're older and have responsibilities and bills :(.
I miss the "the suns not up yet, you can't get off" days lol.

To be young again lol.
yup. Better times...

I can imagine a lot of things from the future; in general, the world is getting more isolationist and lonely ~ just an observation. Video games are replacing humans for some many :shadedshu:
My money's still on a AAA Games Industry crash. Unless something else intervenes, I think we're on the verge of AI/MI prompt-based game creation.
(You think the market's saturated now? :laugh:)

My money's still on a AAA Games Industry crash. Unless something else intervenes, I think we're on the verge of AI/MI prompt-based game creation.
I doubt that, unless you meant something related to coding?

One of the biggest issues with mankind is, of course, the God complex :slap:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
The low popularity of couch co-op games in audiences 35-years old and older is also peculiar, since those are exactly the types of gamers who likely grew up playing couch co-op games with friends and family on consoles.

lol idk about peculiar. you must not have spent a lot of time playing monopoly with extended family. co-op games with people next to me when I was younger is the same rage energy as having someone play reverse uno.

Keyboard Red Dragon K552
I doubt that, unless you meant something related to coding?

One of the biggest issues with mankind is, of course, the God complex :slap:
The coding-automation is the start, yes. -Which, lowers hands-on quality, etc.
All, incentivized over these monstrously huge dev. budgets and subsequent flops.