• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteamOS Update Brings VRR Support to ASUS ROG Ally Handhelds

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Valve has merged a new script into the master branch of its SteamOS Gamescope compositor on GitHub. This update introduces display configuration support for the Asus ROG Ally and ROG Ally X, notably enabling Gamescope to utilize the full 48-120 Hz Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) range on the 1920x1080p panels of these devices. Having a wide VRR range is especially worth considering the challenges of maintaining high frame rates on portable devices due to limited computational power. So with VRR being present at 48 Hz, handheld consoles reach tear-free gaming even demanding titles. This update follows a series of recent Steam-related improvements, including an August update that added support for Asus ROG Ally and ROG Ally X buttons to the SteamOS input layer.

With VRR support being added now, we may see future Steam Deck iterations with VRR display support, as the current Steam Deck and Steam Deck OLED don't support this feature. This VRR update shows Valve's continued progress towards a broader release of SteamOS for various PC platforms. It confirms the company's focus on optimizing the operating system for handheld devices as the future of SteamOS. What used to be mini PCs, Valve now sees as handheld gaming consoles, which are the target area of SteamOS. Despite the growing anticipation, the exact release date for a broader SteamOS rollout remains uncertain, given Valve's notorious "Valve Time" approach to product launches. However, with community-driven SteamOS 3 ports like Bazzite and HoloISO already available, enthusiasts have alternative options to explore in the meantime.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm confused by the wording here, you say VRR is typically limited to 40hz, but this update only supports 48hz. I would point out that gsync modules like on the Alienware OLED 34" can do 0hz to 175hz range regardless of radeon or nvidia gpu being used, truly a shame gsync modules are a thing of the past, they were indeed superior.

This is still good news though, I do wish it was 30 and not 48 for the minimum though.

I would point out that gsync modules like on the Alienware OLED 34" can do 0hz to 175hz range regardless of radeon or nvidia gpu being used, truly a shame gsync modules are a thing of the past, they were indeed superior.

This is still good news though, I do wish it was 30 and not 48 for the minimum though.

I really don't see the use in having VRR go below 30fps, as no amount of VRR will smooth out framerates below that.

48Hz is the lower limit for a reason, as that's about the useful limit of the technology, for most peoples perception of 'smoothness'.

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
I'm confused by the wording here, you say VRR is typically limited to 40hz, but this update only supports 48hz. I would point out that gsync modules like on the Alienware OLED 34" can do 0hz to 175hz range regardless of radeon or nvidia gpu being used, truly a shame gsync modules are a thing of the past, they were indeed superior.

Updated to remove confusion :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I really don't see the use in having VRR go below 30fps, as no amount of VRR will smooth out framerates below that.

48Hz is the lower limit for a reason, as that's about the useful limit of the technology, for most peoples perception of 'smoothness'.

I disagree, freesync and gsync do something strange to the image, so like 40 fps without freesync looks less smooth than regular 40 fps, and we are talking no variable in the fps, just a steady 40 compared side by side. I think that scales down, not as much though true.