• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Latest Asahi Linux Brings AAA Windows Games to Apple M1 MacBooks With Intricate Graphics Driver and Translation Stack

Cpt.Jank

Staff
Staff member
While Apple laptops have never really been the first stop for PC gaming, Linux is slowly shaping up to be an excellent gaming platform, largely thanks to open-source development efforts as well as work from the likes of AMD and NVIDIA, who have both put significant work into their respective Linux drivers in recent years. This makes efforts like the Asahi Linux Project all the more intriguing. Asahi Linux is a project that aims to bring Linux to Apple Silicon Macs—a task that has proven rather difficult, thanks to the intricacies of developing a bespoke GPU driver for Apple's custom ARM GPUs. In a recent blog post, the graphics developer behind the Asahi Linux Project showed off a number of AAA games, albeit older titles, running on an Apple M1 processor on the latest Asahi Linux build.

To run the games on Apple Silicon, Asahi Linux uses a "game playing toolkit," which relies on a number of custom graphics drivers and emulators, including tools from Valve's Proton translation layer, which ironically was also the foundation for Apple's Game Porting Toolkit. Asahi uses FEX to emulate x86 on ARM, Wine as a translation layer for Windows apps, and DXVK and vkd3d-proton for DirectX-Vulkan translation. In the blog post, the Asahi developer claims that the alpha is capable of running games like Control, The Witcher 3, and Cyberpunk 2077 at playable frame rates. Unfortunately, 60 FPS is not yet attainable in the majority of new high-fidelity games, there are a number of indie titles that run quite well on Asahi Linux, including Hollow Knight, Ghostrunner, and Portal 2.

Amusingly, the custom driver used by Asahi Linux is the only driver currently available for Apple Silicon that conforms to OpenGL, OpenCL, and Vulkan APIs. Gaming, of course, isn't the only focus for Asahi Linux, and the team has already started implementing general purpose x86 emulation to Asahi Linux for more generalist and workstation workloads. Asahi Linux is based on Fedora 40, and ships by default with KDE Plasma as the desktop environment, and it has support for all manner of Mac computers with M1 through M2 Pro and M2 Max SoCs, with varying degrees of hardware support. The distribution is freely available to download on the Asahi Linux homepage for anyone wanting to try it out—be sure to check out the support matrix to know what hardware is and isn't supported, since it is still an alpha, and there may be issues with audio, certain ports, and features like Touch ID.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
The work the Asahi team is doing is priceless.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
The work the Asahi team is doing is priceless.
And the fact that Apple doesn’t lock down the Mac platform. They get some flack for mobile OSes being locked down, but the Mac platform and macOS do allow for projects like this. I wonder if any Apple programmers are quietly contributing to the project.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
And the fact that Apple doesn’t lock down the Mac platform.
Apple absolutely loathes the idea of non Apple software on their hardware, that's why there is no support for things like OpenGL or Vulkan in the first place, they replaced as much industry standard software from their systems as they could, it's pretty clear that they do want to lock down the mac platform and sooner or later they'll make it impossible to install other OSs as well, it's inevitable.

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
Apple absolutely loathes the idea of non Apple software on their hardware, that's why there is no support for things like OpenGL or Vulkan in the first place, they replaced as much industry standard software from their systems as they could, it's pretty clear that they do want to lock down the mac platform and sooner or later they'll make it impossible to install other OSs as well, it's inevitable.
I don't know how you can make that claim, considering they haven't stopped you from installing another OS on a Mac since at least 2006. It's actually even possible to install Linux on old PowerPC Macs, but back then Linux was far more difficult to get started and installed on any platform. iOS devices have never been open to tinkering, but Macs have been for a long, long time. Yes, they don't use OpenGL and Vulkan on macOS, but they made that move over 4 years ago, and that has done nothing to the openness of the Mac to other OSes. This Linux project has been going on since the launch of M1 in 2020, and Apple hasn't stopped a thing. If they indeed "loathed" the idea, I have no doubts that they could have easily killed this project 4 years ago when Asahi started. Apple has also said that they won't stop MS from bringing WOA over, but MS hasn't made a move, and they don't sell WOA as a standalone product.

It's also interesting how Apple has never formally gone after hackintoshes either. They don't make things easier, but they haven't taken any steps to stop that either. I've never heard of them going after a Hackintosher. The only time they've jumped in legally is when someone tries to turn it into a formal business.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Asahi Brewery? It's a Japanese Beer. :pimp:

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
If they indeed "loathed" the idea, I have no doubts that they could have easily killed this project 4 years ago when Asahi started.
It's also interesting how Apple has never formally gone after hackintoshes either. They don't make things easier, but they haven't taken any steps to stop that either. I've never heard of them going after a Hackintosher. The only time they've jumped in legally is when someone tries to turn it into a formal business.

macOS has an established presence with some professionals/academics, completely locking it down would drive those people away, however macOS is still a minuscule fraction of total systems and so Apple has no interest in killing off this small but loyal customer base. Should that ever change they will put the lock on macOS make no mistake about it, complete control over software is Apple's signature strategy.

You're just refusing to accept the facts if you think Apple isn't slowly but surely locking everything down, macs had far wider support for both software and hardware in the past. Think about this, you have to install a totally different OS or slow buggy translation layers if you want to use industry standard software, that's pretty much the most draconian measure to prevent people from using your products in ways you don't want them to while keeping the excuse of "hey you can still totally do this if you want to".

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
macOS has an established presence with some professionals/academics, completely locking it down would drive those people away, however macOS is still a minuscule fraction of total systems and so Apple has no interest in killing off this small but loyal customer base. Should that ever change they will put the lock on macOS make no mistake about it, complete control over software is Apple's signature strategy.

You're just refusing to accept the facts if you think Apple isn't slowly but surely locking everything down, macs had far wider support for both software and hardware in the past. Think about this, you have to install a totally different OS or slow buggy translation layers if you want to use industry standard software, that's pretty much the most draconian measure to prevent people from using your products in ways you don't want them to while keeping the excuse of "hey you can still totally do this if you want to".
I don't know man. You are arguing against a point I'm not making. I never claimed anything about macOS and what it does or doesn't support. My comment is entirely about Apple allowing other OSes on the platform of Mac, which is something they've done dating all the way back to PowerPC. They introduced Metal in 2014, and you could still boot other OSes on a Mac. They brought Metal to Mac in 2017, and you could still boot other OSes on a Mac. In 2020, they changed their entire CPU and GPU architecture, and they still left the ability to boot other OSes on a Mac. We are nearing the 4th generation of Apple silicon, and there are no signs of them removing this ability. Even then, I think you are wrong in your claim. With the losses Apple had in the EU courts, they now have no choice but to open up platforms never open before (iOS). For them to take Mac the other direction would just be an invite to more EU scrutiny. I'm sure I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason why they'd remove this ability when they appear to have intentionally left it in there when they changed architectures. We wouldn't even be in this discussion if Apple had killed this ability with the AS rollout.