• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Denuvo DRM Cracks Cost Game Publishers 20% in Revenue, According to Study

System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 500+512+8+8+2+1+1+2+256+8+512+2
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
2013 - 1 (FIFA)
2014 - 3
2015 - 9
2016 - 32
2017 - 27
2018 - 29
2019 - 20
2020 - 19
2021 - 20
2022 - 25
2023 - 37
2024 - 30

2025 begins =
Like a Dragon: Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii Sega February 28, 2025
Monster Hunter Wilds Capcom February 28, 2025
Atomfall Rebellion March 1, 2025
Two Point Museum SEGA March 4, 2025

It's wiki list, i'm not too much if at all impacted by their choices, i hate most of the games they are proecting. The list doesn't list removed Denuvo's games, just the actual protected.

Denuvo's synonym's Ubisoft's

Another impossible to measure trend... Especially since gaming is a growth market YoY.
But just reading through this thread I would say above 10% of people are saying they would not buy with Denuvo protection incorporated. Surely that must be factored in to any calculation. It must count in some way.

Of the game projects i've worked on (and there have been some AAA) the best selling ones have been the ones with no protection. Anecdotal I know, but in my experience, protection on games causes more problems for the end user and the developer.

the solution is simple - make better games
if the lack of talent prevents that, the solution is simple too - get rid of diversity hires and hire people based on their skillset

Not simple.

Better indie games? Sure and they come out all the time. Better AAA titles? Hell no! The sheer cost to make them means they have to sell the most copies which means they have to be dumbed down garbage.

Graphics killed gameplay as much as special effects ruined movies. Everyone who has gushed over graphics is to blame for bad games! Do you like fancy graphics, then YOU are at fault more than the companies who make them.

But just reading through this thread I would say above 10% of people are saying they would not buy with Denuvo protection incorporated. Surely that must be factored in to any calculation. It must count in some way.

Of the game projects i've worked on (and there have been some AAA) the best selling ones have been the ones with no protection. Anecdotal I know, but in my experience, protection on games causes more problems for the end user and the developer.

People here are not representative at all of the PC gaming community at large. 10% of meaningless is meaningless.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog (personnally, I'm a tibetan monk).

These two facts should be obvious to anyone using internet for some time.

They make your testimony quite suspect (as in an argument from authority).

I don't really care. It makes the game laggier and worse for me - a paying customer.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Temporary MSI RTX 4070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Temporary Viewsonic 4K 60 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Not directed at anyone here but my observation is that what people say on the web and what they actually do can be two very different things. The last time I paid any attention to the vocal minority was the crusade to boycott Origin when it opened because EA wanted to make some of their games exclusive to Origin and not put them on Steam (just like Valve did with Steam) and about a month later EA boasted that there were over 40 million accounts on Origin. I wonder how many of those crusaders really boycotted Origin or did they not want to miss out on some EA games but wanted others to boycott for them?

If any of that is being taken as a defense of Denuvo, it's not. I don't like Denuvo or any DRM. If it is possible I always buy from GOG first.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 with Arctic P12 Max fan
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Xiaomi G Pro 27i MiniLED
Case Asus A21 Case
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
it's not just DRM that affects piracy and game sales, it's ideology being forced upon us, atrocious microtransactions, poor performance for barely anything different, region locks, bad translations, over censorship, bad scenarios almost like cheap nut shot, bad characters, stupid AI all wrapped up in high price tag with added statement from the developer if you don't like game don't buy it.

If any of that is being taken as a defense of Denuvo, it's not. I don't like Denuvo or any DRM. If it is possible I always buy from GOG first.

That's what I've been trying to tell my online friends for years, Valve Steam is not our savior, they're just less evil.

Steam now says the ‘game’ you’re buying is really just a license

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 4400Mhz CL19 1T
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6700 XT
Storage 970 EVO 250GB|Crucial m4 128GB|MX300 525GB|MX500 1TB|PNY XLR8 2TB|Kingston NV2 2TB|14TB HDD|4TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard EVGA Z15 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
That's some good news to catch your pirate readers xD

By the way, fuck devs/publishers who throw money on Denuvo instead of selling their products at a fair price.

Last edited:

Without reliable statistics it's very, very difficult to factor it in executive level decisions. The reason is simple: there are a million reasons for a customer not to buy any given product.

I suggested a realiable way to gather such statistics in a prior post (here) but it requires (a) a major retailer to collect and publish the aggregated data and (b) for the community to actually go around specifing that they ignore the game because it has Denuvo/DRM.

AFAIC the gaming industry as whole would improve if Steam's Ignore button expanded like this:

1728961204235.png

This would allow developers/publishers to measure the damage certain "features" are doing to their sales.

Also, imagine what SteamDB's list of top 10 most hated publishers would look like. :D

System Name AM4_TimeKiller
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @ all-core 4.7 GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 420 rev.7 (push-pull)
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB, 2x16 GB DDR4, B-Die, 3800 MHz @ CL14-15-14-29-43 1T, 53.2 ns
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7800 XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1 TB, Kingston KC3000 1 TB, Kingston KC3000 2 TB
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-850
Mouse Logitech wireless mouse
Keyboard Logitech wireless keyboard
Unfortunately, things are yet to become even worse for us. My crystal ball tells me that AI generated games priced similarly to human generated games are yet to come.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC

Sure, some way, but how influential it really is, is just as much guesswork as saying Denuvo magically recovers 20% of revenue even though you can't possibly measure that either on a per game basis.

Not directed at anyone here but my observation is that what people say on the web and what they actually do can be two very different things. The last time I paid any attention to the vocal minority was the crusade to boycott Origin when it opened because EA wanted to make some of their games exclusive to Origin and not put them on Steam (just like Valve did with Steam) and about a month later EA boasted that there were over 40 million accounts on Origin. I wonder how many of those crusaders really boycotted Origin or did they not want to miss out on some EA games but wanted others to boycott for them?

This is another internet truth. The vast majority you read is lies or twisted truth. The numbers don't lie though - gamer outrage can and has definitely turned into reality for numerous titles lately. When an argument really sticks, you'll know it: pay to win for example really did hurt sales. Ubisoft leaving Steam, really did hurt sales (another example of extremely poor corporate judgment, something extremely common to Ubisoft apparently). And when Denuvo did damage performance, it really did hurt sales too. Its also probably true, going by sales numbers of Denuvo itself, that the solution does not pay off for a vast majority of games, or is not assumed to pay off, because of the high cost of entry, which is interesting. The cost of piracy is probably not much more costly than $ 200k even for mid-sized releases. Denuvo has to be cheaper than the cost of piracy, after all, or it won't be selling at all. So every implementation of it, is a guessing game based on projected sales and projected attempts of piracy.

But there is another angle to 'truths' as well. When it comes to company performance and 'success of policy' you barely if ever hear the truth if the company can keep it hidden. A lot of bad policy is simply changed over time and forgotten about, but you can rest assured that ANYTIME you see radical changes in approach (for example, when games switched to Season Pass-driven content) its clear the industry figured out a new way to extract money, that was clearly better than the old one, or is at least potentially better. When that, then, changes again shortly after (a sequel or two later), you know they were simply wrong, the numbers didn't pan out well, and a few millions were lost along the way.

Let's look at Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed franchise and how it got revamped and then rebooted again. Its the perfect example of how a company juggles the recipes it already knows and still can't figure it out proper. And alongside the constant 'radical' (aherm) changes to the franchise they also keep pushing different monetary tactics in their games, up to and including 'single player pay to win', or put differently, paid cheats by being able to buy boosts in a shop alongside DLC content, MTX cosmetics and season passes. They basically tried all of it, so now they're just throwing everything at the wall seeing what sticks.

Meanwhile

1728981865694.png

Last edited:
System Name KLM
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard B-650E-E Strix
Cooling Arctic Cooling III 280
Memory 16x2 Fury Renegade 6000-32
Video Card(s) 4070-ti PNY
Storage 500+512+8+8+2+1+1+2+256+8+512+2
Display(s) VA 32" 4K@60 - OLED 27" 2K@240
Case 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Edifier 1280Ts
Power Supply Shift 1000
Mouse 502 Hero
Keyboard K68
Software EMDB
Benchmark Scores 0>1000
A question came to my mind...

if like "Persona Strikers", the first build out day1 has errornously not the D protection applied (dev forgot) then the game updates just after to fix the problem, and D is as of now not removed, then, if somebody that buys the game day1 (or later, tho), is he in his right to download the first build that had not D inside !?

UBISoft looks really seriously involved ;)

Star Wars Outlaws - August 30, 2024
Massive Entertainment, Ubisoft Annecy, Ubisoft Barcelona, Ubisoft Bucharest, Ubisoft Chengdu, Ubisoft Milan, Ubisoft Montpellier, Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft Shanghai, Ubisoft Stockholm, Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft RedLynx, Lucasfilm Games Ubisoft

Last edited:
System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
I am on team - If purchasing isn't ownership, then piracy isn't theft. The gaming industry is broken, with big corpos buying up everything in sight. When a studio knocks it out of the park like Tango Gameworks did, and still gets shit canned, the last reason to be against piracy is gone for me. That reason was wanting to reward game studios for their efforts and encourage them to keep making great games.
Purchasing only gives you the right to play that game, in what ever form they eventually choose to offer it in, Piracy is still theft. By not paying for the game you are stealing a company's I.P. and money from those that develop those games.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
AFAIC the gaming industry as whole would improve if Steam's Ignore button expanded like this:
After the damage gamers have done with that idiocy they call review bombing, I doubt any decision maker in the industry would give these statistics any weight.

No. As far as they are concerned, it's the cash flow that matters (which is why, among other reasons, I say studies based on supplier-side finances are better indicator of the efficacy of DRM than consumer-side ones). Even the most deluded, nonsense-peddling Ubisoft exec knows there is a large segment of players who dislike/hate DRM and being required to jump through hoops to play a game, but they also know it's a matter of priorities. To many, this dislike is secondary to wanting to play "Assassin's Creed" or "Far Cry" after all the grooming with ads and press coverage showing all those cool graphics!
The median consumer is a moron. And they're surely not a revolutionary or an activist. Welcome to mass market!

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Purchasing only gives you the right to play that game, in what ever form they eventually choose to offer it in, Piracy is still theft. By not paying for the game you are stealing a company's I.P. and money from those that develop those games.
Nobody loses anything from copied software. Its a copy. You're not stealing IP either, you're not re-using it for your own gain or anything like that, ownership of the IP never changes either. That's exactly the big issue with piracy on data. Quantify it. You just can't.

Also, if a purchase does not give you ownership, how could a pirated copy be theft? You still don't own a thing.
The only thing stolen is the license to play, a piece of paper saying 'you can do this now'. No money is stolen, no money is given.

After the damage gamers have done with that idiocy they call review bombing, I doubt any decision maker in the industry would give these statistics any weight.

No. As far as they are concerned, it's the cash flow that matters (which is why, among other reasons, I say studies based on supplier-side finances are better indicator of the efficacy of DRM than consumer-side ones). Even the most deluded, nonsense-peddling Ubisoft exec knows there is a large segment of players who dislike/hate DRM and being required to jump through hoops to play a game, but they also know it's a matter of priorities. To many, this dislike is secondary to wanting to play "Assassin's Creed" or "Far Cry" after all the grooming with ads and press coverage showing all those cool graphics!
The median consumer is a moron. And they're surely not a revolutionary or an activist. Welcome to mass market!
That's exactly how it works, its a balancing act, trying not to overstep gamer's bounds while making them suffer to the max to get what they want. In corporate views that's 'a great deal' and 'everybody wins'. Forget customer is king, das war einmal.

if like "Persona Strikers", the first build out day1 has errornously not the D protection applied (dev forgot) then the game updates just after to fix the problem, and D is as of now not removed, then, if somebody that buys the game day1 (or later, tho), is he in his right to download the first build that had not D inside !?
We have a live example of that in Helldivers 2 and PSN account requirements:

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
Helldivers 2 is a weird example of clusterfuck. PSN Account requirement is not a DRM. And while on principle it is a nice hill to die on it is a bit strange one for an online game. However, the cuter and more DRM part of this is that while initially you were able to buy the game in a country PSN does not support, now you cannot (if you did buy it before, it stays in your library) :D

nvidiaenjoyer

Not simple.

Better indie games? Sure and they come out all the time. Better AAA titles? Hell no! The sheer cost to make them means they have to sell the most copies which means they have to be dumbed down garbage.
i disagree, the cost to make a game has little to do with games being dumbed down (if that was the case no mechanically-intricate indie game would have a chance of becoming a hit); games being dumbed down is due to suits wanting to play it safe since they have more or less worked out a formula which gets them plenty of money with little risk, nothing to do with cost - someone would first need to convince them that making games more complex would get them just as much money before they agree to making games less dumbed down

if starting today all companies decided they would make mechanically-deep, interesting, fun games - they would sell well and they would become the status quo, as the market is huge, and nobody would have a choice - they would need to adapt to games being more complex, and with how popular games are as a pastime they would have no choice whatsoever, because if they chose to continue to play old, dumbed-down games eventually their friends would move on to new releases that aren't dumbed down - so they'd have to adapt and play what everyone else is playing

Graphics killed gameplay as much as special effects ruined movies. Everyone who has gushed over graphics is to blame for bad games! Do you like fancy graphics, then YOU are at fault more than the companies who make them.
this is such a stupid thing to say, i wonder whether people said the same thing when pixel shader 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 just rolled out, and the first 4-5 generations of PS supporting graphics cards sucked ass at pixel shaders just as the new cards currently suck ass at raytracing (though not as much anymore) - probably not, as while most people back then understood that PS is the next step in graphics, most people now don't understand that raytracing is the next step in graphics today, because rasterization is sort-of decent enough at faking all the effects devs wish they could do with RT

i mean, SSAO is an approximation of GI at a very low scale, and modern AO solutions are good enough on their own, who would wish for a much more accurate, higher quality AO solution using RT, right?
RT is the next step and it is inevitable, just like how pixel shaders were the inevitable next step back in the early 2000s

Last edited:

IMO, review bombing doesn't cause damage, it just brings damage already caused to the attention of those responsible for it. As for the rest, I'll make an educated guess and say marketing is not something you're familiar with. Let me explain.

Reviews only provide information about users buying the game, bombing or not. Without ignore reasons the only thing you can do is buy the game, write a negative review and refund it, incurring in payment processing costs for the platform, provided your refund isn't denied for whatever reason. Without detailed enough, multi-select, ignore reasons the platform/publisher/developer has to go to forums, social media, etc. to find data that isn't easy to aggregate. AIs might help here but you can't really trust their output quite yet.

I'll say this very clearly: data about the users not buying your product is far more valuable than data about users buying because buyer data you can collect yourself as a seller, usually in the form of reviews, but data outside that scope is usually bought at a very high price from outside sources. That data not only gives you insight about you product and how to improve it but also opens the door to increasing your market reach, provided you know what to do and can act on it.

TL;DR if I was a game studio/publisher I'd be dying to get tabular data directly from the platform, particularly free data. Deviations from malicious users and strange biases can be accounted for in the analysis.