• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Amazon Launches Entirely New Kindle Lineup, Including First-Ever Color Kindle

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Amazon today launched an entirely new lineup of Kindle devices—introducing the first-ever color Kindle, a re-imagined Kindle Scribe, the fastest Kindle Paperwhite ever, and a new entry Kindle in a fun, new Matcha color. To learn more about the new Kindle family, visit amazon.com/kindlefamily.

"Customers continue to love Kindle, and are reading on their devices more than ever—sales last year hit a decade high with the majority of purchases going to first time Kindle device owners," said Kevin Keith, vice president of Amazon Devices. "We are excited to bring our customers a completely new Kindle lineup, including our first color Kindle and a re-imagined Kindle Scribe with even better in-book writing experiences and a more powerful notebook with generative AI built-in."

Kindle Colorsoft—First Color Kindle
The all-new Kindle Colorsoft brings color to Kindle without compromise. It has everything customers love about Kindle today—high contrast, fast page turns, an auto-adjusting front light, and weeks of battery life, and adds color that is vibrant yet easy on the eyes and pulls you in without distracting you from the story. Now, you can browse color covers in your Kindle Library or Store, see book photos and images in color, or add color highlights that you can easily search later.

Everything about Kindle Colorsoft was meticulously designed to deliver rich, paper-like color. It uses an oxide backplane with custom waveforms for fast performance and a higher contrast on both color and black-and-white content. Its custom Colorsoft display includes a new light-guide with nitride LEDs that, when combined with our custom algorithms, enhance color and increase brightness, all without washing out details. You can zoom in on images without worrying about pixelation; and if you prefer a certain color style, you can choose between standard or vibrant. Kindle Colorsoft comes with wireless charging, up to eight weeks of battery life, and is waterproof so you can bring it with you in the bath or take it to the beach without having to worry.

Kindle Scribe—A Kindle and Digital Notebook in One

The all-new Kindle Scribe combines all the benefits of Kindle with a powerful notetaking device. The display has new white borders and a smooth, paper-like texture that make it look and feel like you're writing on a sheet of paper in a notebook. Plus, at 300 ppi text looks crisp and clear when you're writing or reading. The premium pen is finely crafted to deliver just the right heft and balance, so it feels like holding an actual pen, and the new soft-tipped eraser feels like a pencil—you'll think you have to brush the screen clean after erasing.

The new Kindle Scribe offers new experiences for in-book writing and notetaking. With Active Canvas, you can write your thoughts directly in the book when inspiration strikes. Your note becomes part of the page, and the book text dynamically flows around it—if you increase the font size, change the font style, or the book layout changes, the note remains visible exactly where you want it so you never lose any meaning or context. Coming soon, you'll also be able to write your notes in the side panel and easily hide them when you are done. The notetaking experience is also more powerful with the all-new, built-in AI-powered notebook, which enables you to quickly summarize pages and pages of notes into concise bullets in a script font that can be easily shared—directly within the notebook tab. You can also refine your notes into a script font, so it maintains the look and feel of handwriting while still being legible.

Kindle Paperwhite—The Fastest Kindle Yet
Since its debut in 2012, customers have made Kindle Paperwhite our best-selling Kindle—and the all-new Kindle Paperwhite is our fastest yet. Scrolling through your Kindle Library or Store is snappy and responsive, with 25% faster page turns. The display uses an oxide thin film transistor which gives it the highest contrast ratio of any Kindle, so text and images pop off the screen. A larger, 7-inch display is a first for Kindle Paperwhite—and yet, it is also the thinnest Paperwhite ever and with up to three months of battery life you can take it anywhere.

Kindle Paperwhite is waterproof with 16 GB of storage for thousands of books, and comes in Raspberry, Jade, and Black. Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, which comes with 32 GB of storage, optional wireless charging, and auto-adjusting front light, comes in Metallic Raspberry, Metallic Jade, and Metallic Black.

Kindle—The Most Compact Kindle, Now in Matcha
Weighing in at just 158 g, the new entry-level Kindle is small enough to fit in your hand or carry in your back pocket—and it's packed with premium Kindle features. It has a 300ppi, glare-free display, now with faster page turns, higher contrast ratio, and a front light that is 25% brighter at max setting—as bright as Kindle Paperwhite. It comes in a fun and fresh new Matcha color, offers weeks of battery life from a single charge, and has 16 GB of storage for holding thousands of books—all of which make it the ideal device for reading anywhere the day takes you.

For the Youngest Readers—Thousands of Books and Audiobooks
With Kindle Kids, parents can help their kids cultivate a love of reading at a young age—in fact, when a kid sits down with a Kindle, they read, on average, more than an hour a day. The new, entry Kindle Kids is available with an included cover in one of the following designs: Space Whale, Ocean Explorer, and Unicorn Valley; and the new Kindle Paperwhite Kids comes with a Cyber City, Starfish, or Diary of a Wimpy Kid cover, designed by international best-selling author Jeff Kinney. Both devices come with a 2-year worry free guarantee and six months of Amazon Kids+ included, a kid-friendly subscription service that provides access to thousands of age-appropriate books and audiobooks.

Discover Your Next Favorite Read
All Kindle devices come with access to the world's best eBook store, and an included three-month subscription to Kindle Unlimited, which provides an extensive library of digital books, audiobooks, comics, and magazines that span a myriad of genres, including popular series, best sellers, and more. From mystery and romance to nonfiction and memoir, members can read as many books as they would like with a monthly membership. Learn more about how to sign up for Kindle Unlimited at amazon.com/kindleunlimited.

Sustainability, Pricing, and Availability
Kindle is available now starting at $109.99. Kindle Paperwhite is available now starting at $159.99, and Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition is available for $189.99. Kindle Colorsoft Signature Edition Signature Edition will ship on October 30 and is available now for preorder at $279.99. The new Kindle Scribe will ship on December 4 and is available now for preorder starting at $399.99. Our new Kindle lineup is packaged in 100% recyclable device packaging that features a new box design that uses more recycled fiber content, averages 99% wood fiber-based materials, and uses less ink.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
It's about time they released a color version, color e-ink displays aren't exactly new. I have a first gen scribe though and I simply can't see myself going from a 10" to a 7" screen again though.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name DarnGosh Edition
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling Thermalright AM5 Contact Frame + Phantom Spirit 120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
Friendly reminder that Amazon have the power to delete any books that you've paid for and downloaded onto your device without having to tell you they are going to do it.

Sometimes Amazon might run into licensing issues/disputes with writers or other publishers and if they cant reach an agreement, the end result is they end up pulling/deleting the associated books from their library so that nobody can read or buy it. This also means that if you were in the middle of reading one of these books or had it in your collection then its tough shit for you. Its all gonna get yoinked.

You dont own the kindle books you pay for. You pay for ACCESS TO THEM. That access that can be WITHDRAWN at any time

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen 3 Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite b550
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Trio 10GB
Storage SSD (250GB) + SSD (500GB) + HDD (1TB)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Switched to Kobo, couldn't be happier

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I love my Kindle paperwhite, mostly because I can sideload stuff onto it. All these new Kindles are locked down much more tightly, right? IMO that makes them far less appealing....

Friendly reminder that Amazon have the power to delete any books that you've paid for and downloaded onto your device without having to tell you they are going to do it.
Yeah, I don't trust Amazon. I have no problem paying for books but I've already pirated epubs/mobis of the books I own hardcopies of and sideloaded them with Calibre. As for new purchases, I buy them from various sources - even Amazon, occasionally - but I will not hesitate to pirate the damn ebook if Amazon pull it after I've paid for it.

I frequent the local second hand bookshop, and enjoy the old sci-fi selection a lot. Sometimes very old books turn up.
I haven't even pondered how to do that with ebooks. I'd certainly never get a Kindle for a starters.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
I love my Kindle paperwhite, mostly because I can sideload stuff onto it. All these new Kindles are locked down much more tightly, right? IMO that makes them far less appealing....
The wife has an Oasis and she can still load whatever she wants onto it. I doubt these are locked down any tighter.

I frequent the local second hand bookshop, and enjoy the old sci-fi selection a lot. Sometimes very old books turn up.
I haven't even pondered how to do that with ebooks. I'd certainly never get a Kindle for a starters.
The internet is full of books that you can download...

Seems kind of expensive for the devices considering Kobo pricing. You can get the cheapest Kobo color device for $150 and the higher tier one for $219 and that isn't on sale. $279 starting price seems pretty steep.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
I quit Kindle when I found out if you lose your Amazon account you also lose your ebook and audible purchases.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Redux
Memory 4x8G Teamgroup Vulcan Z DDR4; 3600MHz @ CL18
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2X GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Storage WD_Black SN770, Leven JPS600, Toshiba DT01ACA
Display(s) Samsung ViewFinity S6
Case Fractal Design Pop Air TG
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB
Keyboard Keychron C2 Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Amazon once again proving that you can sell damn near anything as long as it's percieved as a convenience. Support your local library, y'all.