• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Z2 Extreme to Feature a 3+5 Core Configuration

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The second generation of AMD Ryzen Z-series processors for handheld gaming consoles, will be led by the Ryzen Z2 Extreme. There will also be an affordable Ryzen Z2 (non-Extreme). We've known for some time that the Z2 Extreme is based on the 4 nm "Strix Point" monolithic silicon, with some optimization (the highest bins to facilitate the best energy efficiency); but now we have a few more details thanks to a leak by Golden Pig Upgrade. AMD's engineering effort with the Z2 Extreme will be to give the console the most generational performance uplift from the iGPU, rather than the CPU.

The "Strix Point" silicon features a significantly updated iGPU from the previous-generation "Phoenix." It's based on the more efficient RDNA 3.5 graphics architecture, which is better optimized for LPDDR5 memory; and comes with 16 compute units (CU), compared to 12 on the "Phoenix." The Ryzen Z2 Extreme will come with all 16 CU enabled. The CPU is where some interesting changes are planned. The "Strix Point" silicon features a dual-CCX CPU, one of these contains four "Zen 5" CPU cores sharing a 16 MB L3 cache, while the other features eight "Zen 5c" cores sharing an 8 MB L3 cache. For the Ryzen Z2 Extreme, AMD is going with an odd 3+5 core configuration. What this means is that the Ryzen Z2 Extreme will have 3 "Zen 5" cores, and 5 "Zen 5c" cores. The L3 cache on the CCX with "Zen 5" cores has been reduced to 8 MB in size. On paper, this is still an 8-core/16-thread CPU with 16 MB of L3 cache (same as "Phoenix,") but now you know that there's more going on.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Main rig
Processor Intel Core i5-14600k
Motherboard TUF GAMING B760M-PLUS
Cooling Be Quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 5
Memory 32 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3060 Ti GDDR6X
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB, Samsung 970 evo plus, Kingmax 480 GB SSD, Western Digital WD Red Plus 3.5 3TB
Display(s) 1080p
Case Fractal Design Focus 2
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX Series 750W
Given the past, they should be very careful with what they call 8 cores :D

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16in 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
I would think with only 8mb, the cpu will be starving for data.

System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
Yeah you would think that because you're prolly swinging from the balls of benchmark tryhards like ~50% of this forum and therefore would prolly consider this nonviable for use by any mortal who dares to use a computer.

In the real-world, the last 10 years of PC hardware is overkill unless you're a thumb-monkey-denier and only uses a PC for games. Even cut-down shit like this is better than most of you.

SL2

For a handheld where they're optimizing for GPU power and battery life, wouldn't it be better to simply use 8 Zen5c cores instead of a mix? I imagine that it would be more than powerful enough for the use case
I'm leaning the other way, 6 cores is enough, but you need more Hz than only C-cores. However, 6 cores doesn't sound good in an EXXTTREEEEME product, not even handheld.

I would think with only 8mb, the cpu will be starving for data.

That's 8 MB for 3 cores, which is more per core than 16 MB for 8 cores.

8 + 8 MB in total.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Given the past, they should be very careful with what they call 8 cores :D
Well it's their fault if they used the 2021 method to count cores in 2011.

In other sites this leak is translated to z2 ixtreme still using same number of CU's like z1 - 12.
Looks like the original rumor was rescinded.

Looks like the original rumor was rescinded.

The leaker also claims AMD was allegedly planning a 16 CU equipped Ryzen Z2 Extreme X, but that design has been canned.
From Tom's. It still sits unfixed. :D

System Name Can it run Warhammer 3?
Processor 7800X3D @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Enermax Liqmax III 360mm
Memory Teamgroup DDR5 CL30 6000Mhz 32GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090
Storage Silicon Power XS70, Corsair T700
Display(s) BenQ EX2710Q, BenQEX270M
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) AudioTechnica M50xBT
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex III 850W
No wonder Valve said it's waiting for a real generational leap.
Going from 7 to 4nm is probably as generational as it's going to get until 2026.

cfenton

Focusing on the GPU is the right move. I don't think I've ever seen a game CPU bound on the Steam Deck and that's only a quad core. I'm sure there's some example, but anything that's modern enough to use more than four cores is likely to run into GPU limits first.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Redux
Memory 4x8G Teamgroup Vulcan Z DDR4; 3600MHz @ CL18
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2X GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Storage WD_Black SN770, Leven JPS600, Toshiba DT01ACA
Display(s) Samsung ViewFinity S6
Case Fractal Design Pop Air TG
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB
Keyboard Keychron C2 Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
My question is whether or not it even makes sense to put Zen 5c cores inside a gaming handheld. It's going to be used primarily for tasks that prefer higher core clocks and deeper per-core caches, no? I'd imagine a pure Zen 5 four-core SoC would supply similar or better performance at low power without having some odd irregular core config that looks like a frankensteining of a low-yield chip to get it chugging along.

SL2

It's going to be used primarily for tasks that prefer higher core clocks and deeper per-core caches, no?
How do you know that? Why would it, with that kind of GPU?

What do you think happened? AMD just rolled the dice (twice) and called it a day? You don't think they did a few tests before making a decision lol..

Take the cheapest desktop graphics card available and run some benchmarks. It'll still be faster than this one, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would do just as good with 4 cores.

I'd imagine a pure Zen 5 four-core SoC would supply similar or better performance at low power without having some odd irregular core config that looks like a frankensteining of a low-yield chip to get it chugging along.
They're not that different like you suggest.

GenericUsername2001

My question is whether or not it even makes sense to put Zen 5c cores inside a gaming handheld. It's going to be used primarily for tasks that prefer higher core clocks and deeper per-core caches, no? I'd imagine a pure Zen 5 four-core SoC would supply similar or better performance at low power without having some odd irregular core config that looks like a frankensteining of a low-yield chip to get it chugging along.
A pure gaming optimized SoC with four Zen 5 cores probably would be better for handhelds yes. But that would require more design work, setting up new masks at the fab, and so on, which AMD probably does not think is worth it, as the handheld market is still pretty niche. This Z2E chip is going to be made from the 4+8C Strix Point laptop chips AMD is already making; that oddball 3 + 5c format is probably good for binning any partially defective chips AMD ends up with. Very low effort on AMD's part, and still a good-enough product for this niche.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
A pure gaming optimized SoC with four Zen 5 cores probably would be better for handhelds yes.
There are hard thermal and power supply constraints in handhelds, so even 4 big cores wouldn't be able to run at full steam for more than ... a few seconds? 3+5+GPU seems like a good balance.