• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Minisforum Unveils 790S7: Compact PC with RTX 4060 and 16-Core Ryzen 9 7940HX

GGforever

Staff
Staff member
Minisforum stands as a reputed brand in the ever-advancing segment of mini PCs. The brand's recently unveiled 790S7 joins its commendable lineup of high-performance SFF PCs with specifications that are impressive to say the least. At 7 liters, the 790S7 is not exactly 'tiny', but is substantially more compact than traditional tower PCs.

The system is powered by a 16-core Ryzen 9 7940HX 'Dragon Range' CPU at its heart, paired with up to 64 B of DDR5-5200 RAM and 4 terabytes of flash storage along with the titular RTX 4060 discrete GPU. Unlike most of the other compact PCs from the brand, the RTX 4060 GPU in the 790S7 is of the full-fledged desktop variant and not the slower 'Laptop' kind.

The Zen 4-based CPU in the 790S7 is decently powerful, with its 16-core/32-thread setup being more than potent enough to push through almost any workload. The two-year-old RTX 4060 is no slouch either, but its age might be more apparent once NVIDIA's Blackwell lineup hits the market early next year. Connectivity options are respectable as well, with an audio jack, a USB-A 3.2 Gen1x1, and a USB 2.0 Type-C port on the front and a plethora of more ports on the back, including 2.5 G ethernet, DP 1.4, HDMI 2.1 and USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 ports.

As for pricing, the barebones version of the 790S7 with the Ryzen 9 7940HX CPU starts at $459. The variant with 32 GB of RAM, 1 TB SSD, and RTX 4060 costs quite a bit more, coming in at $939. Interestingly, yet another barebones version with an Intel CPU, specifically the i9-12900HK is also available, priced at $399. All the variants come equipped with a 400 W power supply as well.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Suprim X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQL1A x2 2560x1440 8bit IPS
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
at 400 watts on the PSU i would likely opt for the Intel system its more efficient surprisingly meaning less strain on the PSU. the AMD chip can and will use more overall power. But in terms of actual gaming the Intel system should performance about the same, but run cooler / quieter / and more efficiently.

at 400 watts on the PSU i would likely opt for the Intel system its more efficient surprisingly meaning less strain on the PSU. the AMD chip can and will use more overall power. But in terms of actual gaming the Intel system should performance about the same, but run cooler / quieter / and more efficiently.
Bull-fucking shit. At idle the 12900HK is more efficient but at every point after that it isn't.

7940HX clocks higher and has higher IPC so it'll be better in gaming. In multi-thread it has more performance overall despite a default power limit of 100W as configured compared to 115W for the 12900HK as configured by Minisforum.

Plus it is all homogeneous cores so you have less Windows update scheduling shenanigans randomly ruining performance.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Suprim X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQL1A x2 2560x1440 8bit IPS
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
overall system power draw on the AMD chip is higher more often than not from what I have seen. Furthermore its a 4060, the extra CPU performance wont matter as the system will be GPU limited long before CPU.

That said, yeah the AMD system is the far better overall CPU option hands down, but for pure gaming. The Intel system is likely a better option because the 400 watt PSU is not confidence inspiring.

The 7940HX can if not limited hit 200-220 watts vs the 12900HK at around 170-180 watts. that's half the 400 PSU's capacity. A desktop 4060 can pull 115 watts. So the AMD system in theory can peak at around 340 watts not counting transient spikes and with multiple storage drives etc. While the difference between the two is small in terms of price. that extra headroom is good to have for longevity.

If opting for a barebones and trying to add a different GPU without overloading the CPU that changes things a bit.

Looking at the various options it really depends on how one plans to use the system.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Redux
Memory 4x8G Teamgroup Vulcan Z DDR4; 3600MHz @ CL18
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2X GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Storage WD_Black SN770, Leven JPS600, Toshiba DT01ACA
Display(s) Samsung ViewFinity S6
Case Fractal Design Pop Air TG
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB
Keyboard Keychron C2 Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
overall system power draw on the AMD chip is higher more often than not from what I have seen. Furthermore its a 4060, the extra CPU performance wont matter as the system will be GPU limited long before CPU.

That said, yeah the AMD system is the far better overall CPU option hands down, but for pure gaming. The Intel system is likely a better option because the 400 watt PSU is not confidence inspiring.

The 7940HX can if not limited hit 200-220 watts vs the 12900HK at around 170-180 watts. that's half the 400 PSU's capacity. A desktop 4060 can pull 115 watts. So the AMD system in theory can peak at around 340 watts not counting transient spikes and with multiple storage drives etc. While the difference between the two is small in terms of price. that extra headroom is good to have for longevity.

If opting for a barebones and trying to add a different GPU without overloading the CPU that changes things a bit.

Looking at the various options it really depends on how one plans to use the system.
Most of this is a total nothing burger. These are still laptop chips, and more importantly stuffed into a mini-PC chassis. It's highly doubtful either chip could avoid a TJmax ceiling at those power targets, and in this field AMD sustains lower power under high/full load while remaining consistently performant across the board on Zen 4 and even Zen 3/3.5 systems.

The 12900HK I would expect has more multithreaded muscle due to having more physical cores, which is a consideration for some, but the vast majority of the market for mini-PC users are gamers and casual users, and neither would noticeably appreciate the low-load efficiency of an Intel chip nor its decent multithreading performance which belongs more in homelab duties (especially with the transcoding beast that is Quick Sync Video).

Not to mention that the 400W PSU that's all so wimpy is a standard form factor, TFX, and can be replaced by high-power options from the likes of Silverstone [TX700] if that's your perogative.

Most of this is a total nothing burger. These are still laptop chips, and more importantly stuffed into a mini-PC chassis. It's highly doubtful either chip could avoid a TJmax ceiling at those power targets, and in this field AMD sustains lower power under high/full load while remaining consistently performant across the board on Zen 4 and even Zen 3/3.5 systems.

The 12900HK I would expect has more multithreaded muscle due to having more physical cores, which is a consideration for some, but the vast majority of the market for mini-PC users are gamers and casual users, and neither would noticeably appreciate the low-load efficiency of an Intel chip nor its decent multithreading performance which belongs more in homelab duties (especially with the transcoding beast that is Quick Sync Video).

Not to mention that the 400W PSU that's all so wimpy is a standard form factor, TFX, and can be replaced by high-power options from the likes of Silverstone [TX700] if that's your perogative.
1. It does actually have fine temperature at 100W. It runs Prime 95 for 1 hour and at no point did it trip PROCHOT or throttle. Fan does get loud.
2. 7940HX has 16 cores and 32 threads. 12900HK only has 14 cores and 20 threads. 12900HK has much less MT muscle.
3. 400W PSU is sufficient for 100W CPU + 115W GPU. But more probably wouldn't hurt.

Over here, right where you least expect me to be !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
On the outside, these look eerily similar (aesthetically) to the decades old Dell & HP SFF office boxes of yesteryear.... soooooo friggin fuggily & boring AF, in contrast to MF's actual mini-me boxes, which are rather nice looking overall......

And I would have my doubts about running a 16 core CPU (regardless of brand) + a 4060 with a scrawny little 400w PSU to do anything significant, other than casual office work/surfin/email ect....nope, not doin that !

But as usual, this conversation has tilted towards the gamr crowd, which I seriously doubt is their main/target market..... IF you really MUST have a gamin monster, then go buy or build an ATX rig & stuff it full of top-tier parts & be happy. Not EVERYONE who buys a computer does so to play friggin gamz :)

And.......be prepared to spend AT LEAST as much or more than the $939 quoted for these boxes, and give up way more desk/floor space than these machines will require :)

Keyboard Keychron C2 Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
1. It does actually have fine temperature at 100W. It runs Prime 95 for 1 hour and at no point did it trip PROCHOT or throttle. Fan does get loud.
2. 7940HX has 16 cores and 32 threads. 12900HK only has 14 cores and 20 threads. 12900HK has much less MT muscle.
3. 400W PSU is sufficient for 100W CPU + 115W GPU. But more probably wouldn't hurt.
  1. I was noting crazyeyesreaper's numbers for fully unlocked PLs, so far above 100W. Rather impressive that the cooling kept up with that much power, though.
  2. Naming conventions strike again, I forgot that the HX is a different model entirely from the HS. My bad. Still, I would contest that Intel's a better option for homelab if not workstation.
  3. Yeah, should be fine anyways, but it's worth bringing up that it's not like 400W is an absolute ceiling at these PSU sizes.

Are they using standard FlexATX PSU? those are relatively "easy" to source compared to anything propiertary that most SFF PC OEMs tend to use. Another thing to note is front USB is USB 2.0 which is stupidly odd decision. with half height PCI slots available it should be easy to add fast networking capabilities as long as board used has a PCIe slot.
Edit: here is the image of board from product page.
download.png

Also Title suggests the GPU is included while it clearly is not and only comes with iGPU.

Expand Low-profile Graphics Card​

Powered by the AMD Radeon™ 610M, it offers reliable performance and smooth operation, efficiently handling all your computing and multimedia tasks. Plus, it supports internal installation of a low-profile dedicated graphics card, such as the Gigabyte RTX 4060 OC-8GL, further enhancing graphics processing capability.

Note: Dedicated graphics card not included.

Last edited:
Keyboard Keychron C2 Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Are they using standard FlexATX PSU? those are relatively "easy" to source compared to anything propiertary that most SFF PC OEMs tend to use. Another thing to note is front USB is USB 2.0 which is stupidly odd decision. with half height PCI slots available it should be easy to add fast networking capabilities as long as board used has a PCIe slot.
View attachment 369075

Also Title suggests the GPU is included while it clearly is not and only comes with iGPU.
It would have been good to mention in the title that it was a desktop 4060 to perk some ears, because I also initially thought it was a 4060 Mobile strapped to the board. You get a Gigabyte 4060 Low Profile if you buy the full package by the looks of it, with the barebones version leaving it out.

In any case, this looks like their BD products being repurposed into ready-made SFF PCs to get them moving. People probably don't buy the BDs all that often since it has Aliexpress franken-board compromises without the Aliexpress franken-board price, even if it's very nicely made. In that case, this should all be standard ATX so you can use any TFX PSU with these. FlexATX is a lot more narrow than the product pics of the PSU, so I'd say that's not what they're using.

It would have been good to mention in the title that it was a desktop 4060 to perk some ears, because I also initially thought it was a 4060 Mobile strapped to the board. You get a Gigabyte 4060 Low Profile if you buy the full package by the looks of it, with the barebones version leaving it out.

In any case, this looks like their BD products being repurposed into ready-made SFF PCs to get them moving. People probably don't buy the BDs all that often since it has Aliexpress franken-board compromises without the Aliexpress franken-board price, even if it's very nicely made. In that case, this should all be standard ATX so you can use any TFX PSU with these. FlexATX is a lot more narrow than the product pics of the PSU, so I'd say that's not what they're using.
That was my 1st thought Minisforum had soldered 4060 Mobile to miniITX board like they have 6600XT Mobile in another SFF PC. Looking at lack of 10Gbps USB or faster USB ports certainly seems like a business SFF repackaged as a consumer grade SFF. Having a standard SFF PSU would be a massive plus from future upgradebility. Other than soldered CPU all the remaining components are user upgradeble(even the fan on top of CPU cooler). Will be looking for reviews of this PC.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Once again I have to re-educate myself on the AMD's naming scheme. Chiplets in 7-9-4-zero!

System Name IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ARH7
Processor Ryzen 5 6600H
Memory 16GB DDR5 4800MHz CL34
Video Card(s) RTX 3050 4GB Laptop
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Audio Device(s) Moondrop Quarks 3.5mm
Mouse Logitech G304

you can check ETA Prime review, the cpu rarely go higher than 90W in gaming and max at 100W while benchmarking with cpuz, also the 7940hx + rtx 4060 combo maxed out at 250W
btw, can you give me the source about "the 7940hx can hit 200W" please?

not too much review about it since its launch

And I would have my doubts about running a 16 core CPU (regardless of brand) + a 4060 with a scrawny little 400w PSU to do anything significant, other than casual office work/surfin/email ect....nope, not doin that !
Umm…wut!?!? I had to read this inane comment three times. Are you saying a 16 core CPU and a mid range desktop discrete graphics card can ‘only’ surf the web because of the 400W PSU?

Every laptop ever made just called and wants a word with you.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I am willing to bet that these are Power limited in the BIOS. It's not like AM5 chips are effected negatively with less voltage.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Such an awesome little mini PC, and you guys are fighting about it only 14 posts in. What is wrong with you all? :(

View attachment 369075

I built a system off one of these boards and they kick ass. I don't like the case this ships with there are better out there like Streamcom. Both the AMD and intel boards are good quality. Arguing over which is better comes down to usage case.

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold
I'm getting this one for Christmas, its been out for sale since the 12th of October btw

Over here, right where you least expect me to be !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Umm…wut!?!? I had to read this inane comment three times. Are you saying a 16 core CPU and a mid range desktop discrete graphics card can ‘only’ surf the web because of the 400W PSU?

Every laptop ever made just called and wants a word with you.
Aw shucks, I forgot the "/s" tag...oops, my bad :D

But I was being sarcastic of course, if for nothing else than just to preempt the inevitable onslaught of the gamr bois, who would start whining & moaning about how they couldn't possibly get 200fps+ out of these rigs because it would over-stress the psu.......

GGforever

Staff
Staff member

I did mention it in the article. Besides, had it been the mobile variant, the title would have read 'RTX 4060 Laptop'

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 3x TL-B12 V2, 2x TL-B12 V1
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) JBL Bar 700
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
This little thing is impressive. Looks a little bit longer than a PCIE slot.. pretty cool.

Aw shucks, I forgot the "/s" tag...oops, my bad :D

But I was being sarcastic of course, if for nothing else than just to preempt the inevitable onslaught of the gamr bois, who would start whining & moaning about how they couldn't possibly get 200fps+ out of these rigs because it would over-stress the psu.......
Whoops sorry. I didn’t get the sarcasm.