• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence

System Name THOR
Processor Core i7 3820 @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula IV
Cooling Corsair H80 + 5x12cm Case Fans
Memory 16GB G.Skill 2400MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 980 + GTX 570 + GTX 680 SLI
Storage OCZ Vectror 256GB + Vertex IV 256GB + Intel 520 128GB + 1TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) 27" Dell U2711 + 24" Dell U2410 + 24" BenQ FP241W
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX III
Power Supply Corsair AX1200 1200w
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
It's bad enough that everytime I do a reintallation I have to call M$ because my copies have been 'activated' before. I already have 5 legal licences for M$ OS's, how many more do they want me to buy?! :banghead:

And they wonder why people are turning to piracy just to get that frikken thing to install. :mad:

System Name Beatle _ Juice
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 X (oc 4,2 ghz) 1.325v
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B450 F
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (twin fans)
Memory 16 gb 3200 Mhz Kingston Hyper X (CL15-18-18)
Video Card(s) ASUS Nvidia Cerberus Gtx 1070ti
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB / Samsung F3 1TB / Kingston A400 240 GB
Display(s) Asus 27 " MG279Q ips 140hz
Case Cooler Master ATCS. 840
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W Focus
Software Windows10 Home Premium 64bit
who comes up with all this stuff...? what were they thinking... i dont get it first they say
xp home edition is not gonna get any more support by the end of the year (if i rember rightly)
and now THIS .. :( great customer support nice one MS

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
15th Warlock said:
Granted, the migration to x86 architecture will boost Mac sales, but don't expect ppl outside certain niche markets to start using Mac platforms for things like hardcore gaming and OCing any time soon... Also, last time I checked, MacOS requires software to be devoloped specifically for that platform, you know, software like games and drivers (for the tenth time...), sure Jobs said current x86 programs can be emulated under MacOS, but do you know what emulation does to performance? so much for all that "performance will be on par" crap... or do you really expect the modding community to start compiling drivers and patches just as soon as they are released for our current platform? dream on...

I'm assuming you havent really used the intel macs yet by the assumptions of your comments.

I run Photoshop on my DTK, photoshop 7.0. Its 100% pure PPC code. Applying filters and such just smokes the native x86 version.. Mac os x86 has an emulator called rosetta which allows you to run ppc code.. and it is EXTREMELY fast. Its, i'd say about 1/2 way to 3/4 way to full speed.

Granted, you lose a lot of overclocking capabilities, but once darwine improves to the level the linux one is at, you'll be able to run most windows appsfrom within os X..

I have ~15 macs, and most of them are overclockable in one way or another.. not insanely, but a little bit. But most people would scream at having to overclock the hard way wouldnt they? :rolleyes:

Processor i5 6500
Motherboard Asrock H170 ITX/ac
Memory 2x4gb Mushkin 2400
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Mushkin SSD
This is not realy new I read this at newegg awhile ago...
"OEM versions are intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed."

M$ must sell copys to Dell for pocket change. How else could they sell a system for $399?

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
Why do you think there is a price difference between OEM and Retail? Cmon people, use your brains and stop complaining. If you want to reuse your windows copy over and over. Buy retail. OEM is for ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER. It has stated all of this in every OEM license since the dawn of time. The fact that you can even purchase cheap OEM from places like Newegg is a gift. Now I'm not defending Microsofts policies on software but this isn't anything new.

G.T

Processor 3.20E GHz P4 Prescott
Motherboard Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
Cooling Zalman (CNPS7000B-CU) Super Flower Cooler + Ultracool II fan controller
Memory 2 Gig Mushkin HP 3200
Video Card(s) Leadtek A6600GT TDH
Storage 2 x WD 10k 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 (OS), 2 x WD 80GB SATA RAID 0, 1 X Maxtor 250GB ATA (Media, music)
Display(s) Samsung 19" TFT SyncMaster 913N
Case Antec Plusview Iii (Modded front) 1000AMG SOHO File Server - 5X Antec UV reactive fans - 2xUV tubes
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Fatal1ty FPS running through Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 speakers
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580w Blue with UV cables
Software XP pro (Legit) & shitloads that isn't >:] /serial Brycer and FraxFlamer :)
I think the point is the fact they are trying to lay down the law on what you can upgrade.

People outgrow their systems, fact of life. Or the PC you originally build becomes outdated by technology, another fact of life.

Example, person builds "OEM" system. System is built around ATA harddrives, MOBO purchased for system only supports ATA. So someone should be forced to purchase a new copy of an OS just so they can use SATA, give me a break.

So long as the OS is used on one PC, and one PC alone at a time Windows should be happy with that.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
I think the point of OEM is that its a one-time license for one PC. A more fair rule would be once the CPU and motherboard have changed from the original, you need a new license.

sefu

overcast said:
Why do you think there is a price difference between OEM and Retail? Cmon people, use your brains and stop complaining. If you want to reuse your windows copy over and over. Buy retail. OEM is for ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER. It has stated all of this in every OEM license since the dawn of time. The fact that you can even purchase cheap OEM from places like Newegg is a gift. Now I'm not defending Microsofts policies on software but this isn't anything new.
Hell with you M$uker, how the fok you defent M$, i'm living in ROMANIA, and my payment for a full month is barely 200$ and i this is considered well, and i have to do a big efort to upgrade my pc, and now is no way the let me do that and of course y will be ilegal and never buy microsukcs, and y will encourage PIRACY.

mixa

Processor AMD Athlon64 2800+ @ ~2.3GHz
Motherboard Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS7000B Al-Cu
Memory 2 x 512MB Vitesta (TCCDs) @ 255MHz , 2-3-3-9
Video Card(s) Sapphiretech X700 Pro @ XT
Storage 2 x 80Gb Hitachi DeskStar 7k250 , RAID 0
Display(s) LG L1710B
Case CoolerMaster ATC-210C-AX2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy 1
Power Supply FSP Group Fortron 400W w/silencer
Software Windows XP SP2 / fbsd 5.xx
My only opinion is that the licences must be issued to a person not to a PC.
By the way , I don`t think this concerns the home users.

G.T

Processor 3.20E GHz P4 Prescott
Motherboard Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
Cooling Zalman (CNPS7000B-CU) Super Flower Cooler + Ultracool II fan controller
Memory 2 Gig Mushkin HP 3200
Video Card(s) Leadtek A6600GT TDH
Storage 2 x WD 10k 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 (OS), 2 x WD 80GB SATA RAID 0, 1 X Maxtor 250GB ATA (Media, music)
Display(s) Samsung 19" TFT SyncMaster 913N
Case Antec Plusview Iii (Modded front) 1000AMG SOHO File Server - 5X Antec UV reactive fans - 2xUV tubes
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Fatal1ty FPS running through Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 speakers
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580w Blue with UV cables
Software XP pro (Legit) & shitloads that isn't >:] /serial Brycer and FraxFlamer :)
Just thinking about this & something occured to me.

Has anyone had any new EULA agreement that required signing or agreeing to, I know I have not. So basically this must be a case of new copies only need worry, as without agreeing to a new EULA M$ can't really have a leg to stand on as I find it hard to believe they can make it stick retroactively. & let's face it when you update windows hardly anyone is that bored to read through any new EULA bumf they make you wade through to get your latest patches and security Band Aids. Other than that, if they don't make some massive public issue of this, which so far I have not witnessed, they can simply be blamed for not making the public aware of this whole fiasco.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
wazzledoozle said:
I think the point of OEM is that its a one-time license for one PC. A more fair rule would be once the CPU and motherboard have changed from the original, you need a new license.

however, this could not be enforced.

Overclocking. plain and simple. they cannot correlate any majorty of the checking on anything like that...

The only decent way of tracking that woluld be something maybe like P4->A64 or whatever... because a 3000+ can be upgraded to a 4800+... and in the case of the axp's, they would be going from 2500+ to 3200+ and beyond....