• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

13700k running back at stock after bios update safe?

TheDecayedOne

Hello,

I'm one of the many users who had CPU degradation issues. I bought the CPU in early 2023 alongside most of my other components. I had random crashes, artifacts, driver timeouts on my GPU....you name it, I had (minus blue screens). My fix was to downclock the CPU to 5Ghz and to undervolt the dynamic voltage by just -0.050 and it ran stable from there on. Until I realized it was a CPU issue, I changed RAM, RMA'd my GPU, used a new PSU and did all kinds of memtests/SSD checkups/windows reinstalls.

Yesterday I did a bios update on my Aorus Elite AX DDR4 using the F10 bios. After I installed it, I checked my system settings and bios, reactivated XMP (DDR4-4000), and lo and behold, it's running at stock settings again aka 5.3GhZ. I did some gaming yesterday and today and it's suddenly stable again. Maybe this is just a short-term thing, but I'm happy for now that I can run my CPU at stock settings again.

But the question is, is that actually a bios mistake, going back to stock settings? Should I downclock it again? I'm not sure how much longevity this update brings. From what I read, CPU degradation is supposed to be permanent. How come it's become stable again?