• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor HD 6950 Vortex II 2 GB

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
PowerColor's new HD 6950 Vortex II comes with a seriously improved thermal solution compared to the AMD reference design. It also offers two adjustable fans that can be configured to make maximum use of available space. Clock speeds have been increased too, and the card was able to be modded to a HD 6970 in our testing.

Show full review

Last edited:
System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
When it comes to video cards fan noise means a lot to me and this card doesn't disappoint in that regard.

yeah powercolor make very quite coolers, my 5870pcs+ is nice and quite and still have got temps.

This is the BEST of the BEST VGA in my dream

Radys

Only 8.4 score on that one too? When the total failure Nvidia 550Ti got 8.8? Again the "No support for CUDA/PhysX" slogan?

Maybe this is an explanation for what's happening on techpowerup (from an older article in The Inquirer):

if you don't review Nvidia cards and say that PhysX is the greatest thing since sliced bread and CUDA makes sex better, you aren't doing a good enough job. They will gently nudge you to change your tune, basically praise PhysX and CUDA until you wear the letters off your keyboard.
And if you didn't drool over PhysX and CUDA enough, you are cut out.

Its still doesnt change the fact there are some games witch has the ability to use advance physics with ONLY Nvidia's craphics cards. about CUDA, when AMD STREAM will balance with CUDA in terms of common support in apps that wont be a problem

System Name Quiet Gaming PC v5
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 (rev. 1.2)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE Rev. C
Memory 2x16GB TeamGroup Vulcan Z Red DDR4-3600 CL18
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT 309 RX 6700 XT
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe // TeamGroup MP34 4TB NVMe // Crucial MX100 512GB
Display(s) MSI G27CQ4 E2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard MKPlus Slayer M3 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
Imma go and grab my shovel for this hardcore necro...

However, it seems that this is not designed perfectly, I added my own white plastic washers (2nd pic) to all four screws and temperatures dropped significantly, down to 80°C from 128°C. All testing was performed with this "fixed" configuration, PowerColor is aware of the problem and will likely address it for their retail boards.

Did you replace the washers or did you just add new ones on top of the old ones? I have this card and it has the same puny transparent washers, so I'm a bit worried.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Its still doesnt change the fact there are some games witch has the ability to use advance physics with ONLY Nvidia's craphics cards. about CUDA, when AMD STREAM will balance with CUDA in terms of common support in apps that wont be a problem

AMD stream is dead.

If all goes well all companies will be making the move to open cl since most hardware could utilize it.

And it dynamically sets it's self to what ever processor will be best for the job.

Shame development will take a long time but some of the little toys I've seen and used based on opencl are very impressive.

same goes for my hd 6950 vortex II

Imma go and grab my shovel for this hardcore necro...

However, it seems that this is not designed perfectly, I added my own white plastic washers (2nd pic) to all four screws and temperatures dropped significantly, down to 80°C from 128°C. All testing was performed with this "fixed" configuration, PowerColor is aware of the problem and will likely address it for their retail boards.

Did you replace the washers or did you just add new ones on top of the old ones? I have this card and it has the same puny transparent washers, so I'm a bit worried.

i got the same problem here. but even though i had it placed with washers. still temperature on the thermal sensor #3 ramps up to hundreds at some 3d extensive games.

i called the distributor yet they said its normal...:?