• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2.5g upgrade realtek rtl8125b vs intel i226-v windows

greeting,
looking forward to upgrade my on-board 1gb lan to match isp speed. local stores no luck, geizhals.de nothing mighty. via aliexpress managed to get

realtek rtl8125b
intel i226-v

which one is better for daily overall windows experience and easy to download driver?

is something better on budget-wise for europeans shoppers?

I would like not to overspend over 20-30$ excluding transport for only one port (don't need much).

thanks!

System Name Silicon Graphics O2
Processor R5000 / 180MHz
Cooling noisy fan
Memory 384 MB
Storage 4 GB
Case the one with the old logo and proud of it ;)
Software IRIX 6.5
Not sure where you are living, but I assume Austria or Germany? You'll probably find some 2.5Gb PCIe x1 cards from the likes of TP-Link, TRENDnet, AXAGON, DeLOCK, etc. for €20 to €30 at most online retailers in that area. At least your local Amazon should have some of those.

I can find axagon which is still realtek rtl8125b and 4x price of aliexpress which is dumb and greed.

so realtek rtl8125b or intel i226-v ?

The Krull

look for intels 10gb networls on ebay. intel 540, 520 or 720. they are pci-e x4 or x8 but are monsters in perfoemance

System Name Silicon Graphics O2
Processor R5000 / 180MHz
Cooling noisy fan
Memory 384 MB
Storage 4 GB
Case the one with the old logo and proud of it ;)
Software IRIX 6.5
rtl8125b or intel i226-v
Doesn't really matter for home use. Realteks work usually out of the box, for Intel you might have to manually install drivers. I got both in my environment, and that's pretty much the biggest difference I noticed.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 41
RTL8126 5Gbe

ACQ113 for 10Gbe

Intel? No...

If I was choosing a motherboard and saw it had the I-225V or I-226V NIC, I'd probably avoid them and choose another motherboard after my experience with the former. Supposedly Intel has some good NICs (perhaps the ones mentioned above), but the I-226V isn't one of them.

I had the I-225V on my previous motherboard and it was problematic. Hosting a Minecraft instance on said PC as a server would bring the entire network connection down once an outside player connected to it and it would remain down until the PC was restarted. This didn't happen if I used the (also Intel) WiFi, or another two PCs entirely which had different NICs. It was at that point that I started doing some research and found a lot of others with the same NIC on a range of motherboards reporting the same thing. It wasn't Minecraft crashing... the NIC was crashing. I couldn't believe it, of all things. Went down rabbit holes of trying to change NIC settings/driver versions and nothing worked to stop it. Further research taught me that there was three hardware revisions of that NIC and they all had a range of issues beyond the one I was experiencing, but random cutouts/drops was the prime one. Motherboard makers would of course not offer support if you were impacted by this because even though they chose to use said NIC in their product, as far as they were concerned, it was an Intel/NIC/driver problem, and... Intel did nothing but revise it in later hardware (which does nothing for those already affected) and this still failed to fully resolve the issues. Funny enough, that whole approach of sweeping it under the rug and moving on was foreshadowing the same response they later showed with the recent Alder Lake CPU issues.

Later on, I was seeing article after article (one here on TechPowerUp) that the successor I-226V was having issues too!? How after three revisions and a successor does it have those same issues? I'm not sure how much of that may have been resolved since then, but if it's anything like the I-225V was, I'd just avoid it.

On the other hand... Realtek has also had its share of mediocre and problematic NICs and drivers over the years. I don't know if the one you mentioned is one of them though.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity2, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1) + JONSBO NF-1
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB & 4TB 980 PRO, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2 x Optane 905p 1.5TB (striped), AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Audio Device(s) Controller for fans, RGB, & temp sensors(4): Corsair Commander Pro
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
If I was choosing a motherboard and saw it had the I-225V or I-226V NIC, I'd probably avoid them and choose another motherboard after my experience with the former. Supposedly Intel has some good NICs (perhaps the ones mentioned above), but the I-226V isn't one of them.

I had the I-225V on my previous motherboard and it was problematic. Hosting a Minecraft instance on said PC as a server would bring the entire network connection down once an outside player connected to it and it would remain down until the PC was restarted. This didn't happen if I used the (also Intel) WiFi, or another two PCs entirely which had different NICs. It was at that point that I started doing some research and found a lot of others with the same NIC on a range of motherboards reporting the same thing. It wasn't Minecraft crashing... the NIC was crashing. I couldn't believe it, of all things. Went down rabbit holes of trying to change NIC settings/driver versions and nothing worked to stop it. Further research taught me that there was three hardware revisions of that NIC and they all had a range of issues beyond the one I was experiencing, but random cutouts/drops was the prime one. Motherboard makers would of course not offer support if you were impacted by this because even though they chose to use said NIC in their product, as far as they were concerned, it was an Intel/NIC/driver problem, and... Intel did nothing but revise it in later hardware (which does nothing for those already affected) and this still failed to fully resolve the issues. Funny enough, that whole approach of sweeping it under the rug and moving on was foreshadowing the same response they later showed with the recent Alder Lake CPU issues.

Later on, I was seeing article after article (one here on TechPowerUp) that the successor I-226V was having issues too!? How after three revisions and a successor does it have those same issues? I'm not sure how much of that may have been resolved since then, but if it's anything like the I-225V was, I'd just avoid it.

On the other hand... Realtek has also had its share of mediocre and problematic NICs and drivers over the years. I don't know if the one you mentioned is one of them though.
There was a nice thread on TPU about this awhile back. The trend seemed to be with motherboard integrated versions of these chips having problems. I believe someone reported add-in card seemed fine and another reported feedback turning off the checkbox for the device to save power helped them with their onboard nic. For the 2.5Gbps NICs setting the speed to 1Gbps might help when connecting to some 1Gbps switches.

Still if given a choice I'd go with whatever chips or devices have the least amount of reported problems.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
look for intels 10gb networls on ebay. intel 540, 520 or 720. they are pci-e x4 or x8 but are monsters in perfoemance
They also don't do anything less than 10gbps on many models and his isp is probably doing a subspeed like 2.5gbps, which they won't support (they'll fallback to 1gbps in this scenario).

This is at least true for 520s and 540s.

From your choices I'd go realtek because the intel consumer solutions are a buggy minefield.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Cooling bequiet! Dark Rock Slim
Memory 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 4 TB Lexar NM790, 12 TB WD HDDs
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 560W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Glorious GMMK
I recently ordered a network card using the RTL8125B chip (2.5Gbps) from AliExpress and got one with an RTL8111E chip (1Gbps) instead. Complained about it but AliExpress declared the complaint invalid. Apparently, providing pictures of the card and the anti-static bag clearly showing 8111E wasn't proof enough. Luckily, the card cost next to nothing.

Thanks got 5gb card for futureproof so I don’t have to buy twice. Now wait for isp to sell 5g lan subscriptions. 10g already on business, but on consumer scales same company don’t compete, even infrastructure is ready and capable excepting switches. Now looking forward an router 2.5g lan with vpn. Prefere something that isn’t made by a chinese company.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Thanks got 5gb card for futureproof so I don’t have to buy twice. Now wait for isp to sell 5g lan subscriptions. 10g already on business, but on consumer scales same company don’t compete, even infrastructure is ready and capable excepting switches. Now looking forward an router 2.5g lan with vpn. Prefere something that isn’t made by a chinese company.
That 5 Gbps card is also a lot more power efficient than the 10 Gbps cards on the market today, as it only uses a little bit more power than a 2.5 Gbps chip.