• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FSP Twins 500 W Redundant PSU

The FSP Twins 500 W is a digital redundant server-type PSU that can be housed inside a normal ATX chassis. It offers the hot-swap and redundancy features, but comes at a very high price, and with increased output noise.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I am very interested in PSUs like this, but the >50 decibels is certainly a showstopper. I would love to see more companies making these for better competition, performance and features.

A PSU such as this is kind of useless inside anyone's home. Lets say your having a power outtage, the secundairy PSU is useless. Your better off with a proper UPS. and a proper PSU that is known for it's reliability. However i can see the cheap budget hosting company's going for sollutions like these in regular ATX cases, or with ATX dimensions. Lots of 2 up to 4U servers are ATX.

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
Must keep crunching.... but for real, this has no use in a regular home user's PC. If you use if for rendering, etc. and it's vital work you're doing for your income then sure, this paired with a good UPS makes sense. I've used workstations attached to our $1million+ satellite testers that have redundant, hot-swappable PSUs with alarms and a beefy (and I mean 2 man lift) UPS so don't think I'm bad mouthing this with no idea of its place in the world. Just seems like a waste of funds that could be put to better use, like some Sierra Nevada Torpedoes.

Edit: Well, on second thought, if it is the first truly to be housed in the ATX form factor then maybe it is filling an important niche.

A PSU such as this is kind of useless inside anyone's home. Lets say your having a power outtage, the secundairy PSU is useless. Your better off with a proper UPS. and a proper PSU that is known for it's reliability. However i can see the cheap budget hosting company's going for sollutions like these in regular ATX cases, or with ATX dimensions. Lots of 2 up to 4U servers are ATX.
Exactly. We have extremely dirty power at our office, all the workstations are on APC 1500 UPSs and they cost less than half of what that dual PSU does. (We've never had a PSU fail on a workstation, I think we had one of the duals on a server die, but it was like 8 years old.)

I used to know people who would actually put in desktop computers into server racks and rent it's functions such as teamspeak hosting and such. It's never a clean sollution anyway but i can imagine there are alot of 2U / 4U server enclosure with plain ATX specification. The redundant PSU's you see in properly designed server wont fit any ATX case or specification. I guess that these PSU's are aiming in particulair for this market. As i said at home or office use it's kind of hopeless when a power outtage happens, your better off with a proper UPS installed.

Real DC's actually have 2 redundant power supplies. Lets say if a bomb explodes in powerplant A, there's a second B line coming from a different area into the datacenter backing up the outtage. It makes no sense powering a PSU with 2 wires where power outtage simply blows both psu's out.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX. Water block. Crossflashed.
Storage Optane 900P[Fedora] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO+SN560 1TB(W11)
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) SMSL RAW-MDA1 DAC
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Lets say if a bomb explodes in powerplant A, there's a second B line coming from a different area into the datacenter backing up the outtage. It makes no sense powering a PSU with 2 wires where power outtage simply blows both psu's out.

Mhmm do I need to report it to the police? xD

It would be more reasonable to build a device that uses two anykind of supplies and switches them in between... few IGBT's caps... hell small RPI for always on logging and network monitoring... it would not cost even much...