• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Silverstone FHP141 Fan

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Silverstone FHP141 is a 38 mm thick, 140 x 140 mm fan that can be mounted to a single 120 mm fan slot. By virtue of the added space to the motor and rotor, and some other tricks up its sleeve, it aims to provide an excellent balance of performance and noise for those low on radiator space.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
No anti-vibration at all seems really cheap of Silverstone, I just bought some new Apevia fans that were $12 for a 3 pack, look gorgeous, and have anti vibration.. $12 for a 3 pack folks... lol its Apevia's new line of fans, only single color, no RGB, I picked a 3 pack of red and a 3 pack of pink and alternate them on my case. 3x at top, 3x at front. its beautiful

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I've got two of these in the front slots on my case. The case sits about four feet from my head, they get pretty loud after 1100RPM. I keep them running between 850 and 1100, depending on motherboard temp (basically ambient air temp inside case). They work great, and there's a decent filter in front of them. Two 120's and a 25mm 140 for exhaust on top and in back. It keeps the dust inside to a great minimum.

I've got the same 38mm fan on my HE01 CPU cooler as well. I keep this chip at 1.42v and 4.44Ghz just to keep the noise at a sane level. Crunching with four cores for the last 13 hours and my CPU fan sits at 1350RPM, noticeably louder than the two in front, they are at 937RPM. CPU sits at 50c, mobo at 38c.... hell, I'll just post a picture.
Capture.JPG

They are super loud at 2000RPM. Or else I'd run all 8 cores at 5GHz while crunching, then my wife would kill me.

Anyways, I love these fans. They really get the job done.

Thx VSG.

System Name maxedoutgamer
Processor i5-4670k @4.2ghz
Motherboard Asrock z87
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB ddr3 2133
Video Card(s) gtx 1080 (Palit Jetstream)
Storage 512GB Samsung 840pro
Display(s) Acer B286HK - 4K, baby
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply evga nex650g
Benchmark Scores eeeexcelent
for my taste this fan was waaay too loud. even on min rpms it had way above average fan noise level (even when average fan is around 1000 - mid rpms) - yes it moved lot of air, but I just had to toss it away.

System Name PLAHI
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling 120 AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) PNY QUADRO RTX A2000
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) Philips 288E2A 28" 4K + 22" LG 1080p
Case SilverStone Raven RV03
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z OEM
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
No anti-vibration at all seems really cheap of Silverstone, I just bought some new Apevia fans that were $12 for a 3 pack, look gorgeous, and have anti vibration.. $12 for a 3 pack folks... lol its Apevia's new line of fans, only single color, no RGB, I picked a 3 pack of red and a 3 pack of pink and alternate them on my case. 3x at top, 3x at front. its beautiful

Anti-vibration is not gonna save you much if the fan sucks. Also, it's not hard to get one these days. I don't find it a con if it is not included in the package. This fans looks like it will do some actual job with pushing air.

mickulty

This really underlines the need for noise-normalised testing. Sure it's a bit noisier for a given RPM, but it also pushes a *lot* more air for a given RPM and I suspect a major source of noise is just the amount of air going through the radiator. Let's compare it to the classic "high-end fan" that is the Noctua NF-F12:

Noctua NF-F12 iPPC @ 1500rpm: 32.5CFM, 43.4dBA
Silverstone FHP141 @ 1250rpm: 38.5CFM, 42.6dBA (better performance, same or slightly less noise)
Silverstone FHP141 @ 1000rpm: 32.8CFM, 38.0dBA (same performance, substantially less noise)

Thanks for another great write up VSG. I’ve enjoyed your content over on ThermalBench.

The 140mm fan in 120mm mounting seems like a bit of a kludge. Would much prefer to see this fan in a true sealed 140mm or 120mm frame for radiator use and better case compatibility.

Very nice to see a 38mm thick class PWM fan with this performance distributed to consumers. 38mm fans are traditionally the purview of Delta and Sanyo Denki and 140x38mm fans that don’t make the ears bleed are basically non-existent.

Last edited:
I wish the PWM motor on this & bearings were better. I would pay even more of a premium if they used Noctua's 3 phase PWM with POM bearings. This would significantly cut down on some of the noise profile & smooth out the RPM changes. But overall I really love these two fans by Silverstone. They are in fact the only consumer fan that you can stack, with contra-rotating fans. The other variant can actually reverse its spin. Which is the only way stacked fans actually work best. Plus the two different blades have different properties (one reviewed would be the intake of the stack, the other would be exhaust). This combined with how thick they are, make for the most insane yet practical high pressure fan setup possible. Only San Ace makes proper available contra rotating fans (called erroneously counter-rotating).

The description is somewhat misleading, 140mm fans that can use 120mm mounting holes have been around for a long time, with most usages being mounted on CPU cooler heat sinks. The 38mm thickness will of course give more air flow, but in an age where low - medium fpi rads dominate themarket, I don't see much of a market. Ye, we still see quotes from 1990s / turn of the milenium forum posts when high fpi rads warranted the need for high static pressure. But those days are long gone by.

This basically turns a push / pull installation into the equivalent thickness of a rad and 3 fans ... thereby leaving one with the choice of lopping off rad thickness or fans which would produce better results. Price isn't too bad, will depend on specials... I usually pick up Phanteks fans by the dozen when newegg has them for $10 a pop. In addition, PWN historically had an advantage by being able to maintain lower speeds w/ stalling ... the downside was cost, clicking noises / low speed hum and, with some vendors, the iunability to gang more than a handful of fans on a single channel. But with today's newer DCV fan designs, smarter MoBo utilities and PWM=> DCV fan hubs we can get PWM fan speeds w/o any of those disadvantages.