• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler Master SK621 Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Cooler Master SK621 heralds in their first truly portable keyboard lineup. Using Cherry's MX Low Profile switches paired with Bluetooth/wired connectivity, a bezel-less and low-profile case, and a 60% form factor design, this sub-0.5 kg keyboard wants to be a part of your typing life wherever you go. Oh, and there is RGB lighting, too!

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wait, a keyboard review that doesn't actually say a single word about how the keyboard is in use? Really? Ergonomics? Key feel? Typing experience? How do the flat, tightly spaces keycaps affect typing accuracy? Error rate? This can hardly be called a review in its current state, more of a hands-on (though even those usually try to describe the experience of whatever is being tested).

HardwareCanucks tore the wired version of this series a new one a couple of months ago, and I was really interested in a second opinion. I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Wait, a keyboard review that doesn't actually say a single word about how the keyboard is in use? Really? Ergonomics? Key feel? Typing experience? How do the flat, tightly spaces keycaps affect typing accuracy? Error rate? This can hardly be called a review in its current state, more of a hands-on (though even those usually try to describe the experience of whatever is being tested).

HardwareCanucks tore the wired version of this series a new one a couple of months ago, and I was really interested in a second opinion. I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

There is no wired version of this, yet. Not sure what you saw from HWCanucks, maybe the SK630 we reviewed before? Also, read the penultimate page for my thoughts on this, however helpful or not they may be to you. I try not to say a lot because I use so many different keyboards throughout the year.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
There is no wired version of this, yet. Not sure what you saw from HWCanucks, maybe the SK630 we reviewed before? Also, read the penultimate page for my thoughts on this, however helpful or not they may be to you. I try not to say a lot because I use so many different keyboards throughout the year.
I did say "this series", so yes, I was trying to indicate the wired Cooler Master keyboard with the same design, switches and keycaps, but a TKL rather than 60% layout. I didn't catch your review of that at the time, but if it follows the format of this, it won't be much use anyhow.

I did read the penultimate page, which was the reason I wrote that post. The fact that you use many different keyboards is exactly why an in-depth description of the experience of using it from your perspective would be valuable, as your wide experience lends you expertise that we readers don't have and would allow for comparisons to a wide range of alternatives. I really don't see how using many different keyboards would somehow make you less qualified to describe the typing experience - quite the opposite. Frankly, I find that argument rather absurd - "I have too much experience, so I shouldn't share it with you", why exactly? Sharing expert opinions is a big part of what makes a good review.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So, is there a keyboard manufacturer that manages to get the software right?

ehelldane

I bought it, and had 2 MAJOR issues, right off the bat:

1) The bluetooth connection was crazy fickle for me too, dropped and lagged heavily when not within a few inches of receiver (Intel 8260 BT4.2). I troubleshooted my hardware and software thoroughly for many many hours. Other devices worked fine with the 8260, but the SK621 had the same issue regardless of driver version or hardware adjustments. But the SK621 did work with other devices from up to 10ft away: my Android phone, my wife's laptop.

There is a reviewer on Amazon having same issue (besides me). Wonder what hardware they and the reviewer here has.

I'm thinking there's a coding issue with how it communicates via Bluetooth that is causing compatibility issues with the Intel 8260, and possibly other BT receivers, but not with all of them.

2) I also got the notorious inaccurate 'no internet connection' error when trying to install the Portal software on my PC (v1.01). There's a thread in Cooler Master forums about it; which was started ages ago. But there doesn't appear to be a fix for it yet?

Update: I'm ready to throw this thing at the wall now!!... I finally got the Portal software to work, guessing maybe plugging in via USB did the trick. But why the 'no internet connection' error, I have no idea? That's horribly misleading! I updated the firmware fine, but while I was setting up a profile, things weren't working.

Changing 'brightness' on the 'wireless' page did nothing.
Turning off the 'ring' light on the 'wireless' screen did nothing.

Changing colors and modes on the color screen worked, but only temporarily. After a few seconds the SK621 would revert back to Demo mode, and start cycling through all the fancy color modes.

Changing or 'resetting' anything in the app didn't have any permanent effect. The Demo mode still kicked in again after a few seconds.

And now none of the buttons on the actual SK621 do anything at all!!! Not with it disconnected or connected with the PC via USB, not in Wireless mode, not with the app open or closed.

This thing is a bloody nightmare!

... And now that I've typed all that, and closed all the software, the Demo mode seems to have stopped. And the key's on the keyboard work again. But the Brightness settings and Ring settings from the wireless page still seem to have no effect, until disconnecting the USB. Doesn't matter that it's been in Wireless mode this whole time. When plugged into USB and changing settings apparently only the manual FN key controls work for brightness.

Arg, this thing is frustrating! Bet there's some cheaper but comparable chinese knockoff that would work better.

Last edited:

ehelldane

CM is apparently a bunch of amateurs. I've been engaging with them via support ticket at their website. After the initial ticket submission the user or CM can add comments. But the support site is so poorly designed that there's a character limit on the comments that is not expressed to the user, and if they type too many characters and then try and hit save, the comment just vanishes. It's just gone.

My first attempt at submitting a support ticket apparently had this same issue actually: clicking submit appeared to submit the ticket, but it didn't actually do anything but reload the page.

I'm over there trying to give them info for free so they can provide higher quality services and improve customer satisfaction... and they make even talking to them unnecessarily difficult.

I am so far beyond disappointed!

Last edited:

ehelldane

There's only the one LED Profile setting for Wireless, set via the Portal app when connected via USB.

The 4 switchable Profiles are only for a wired connection.

You can change the Wireless LED settings manual with FN keys on the keyboard, but you have to cycle through modes, you can't just toggle from a preconfigured 'low light' setting to a preconfigured 'no backlight' setting, like I was expecting.

Also, I got a $6 Bluetooth dongle off Amazon, and can now type consistently and maintain a connect from ~2ft away, but no further.

It's better than the 8in max with my built in Bluetooth, but if I scoot the SK621 back so my cat can sit on my lap I lose my connection.

I totally feel like $120 was an unacceptable price for this POS; POS with nice mech switches!