• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake ARGENT K5 RGB Gaming Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thermaltake introduced the ARGENT design philosophy to us earlier this year, and high-end peripherals showed up alongside. Today, we take a look at the flagship ARGENT K5 RGB gaming keyboard, which builds upon the company's successful Level 20 series and has aesthetics that need a closer look to appreciate fully.

Show full review

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Downsides:

- Thermaltake lawsuits against the original IP holder
- Cheap keycaps included for a very high price
- Thermaltake software is trash. Period.
- Price vs competition
- Thermaltake customer service
- Supporting thermaltake with your wallet
- You're being datamined by Thermaltake by using their software
- Thermaltake are shady, evil asshats

I'm trying to find which other brand they copied.
Occasionally Thermaltake makes something original, but 9 times out of 10 they're just stealing something else and taking the credit, bonus points if they don't then screw that company over legally as well by throwing obscene amounts of money at the lawsuit against them.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
That's a bit harsh, remember Tt is a massive company with different business units. The Level 20 and the ARGENT designs are pretty much their own thing.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That's a bit harsh, remember Tt is a massive company with different business units. The Level 20 and the ARGENT designs are pretty much their own thing.
MSI's recent transgressions where the global HQ admitted that the regional subcompanies had made mistakes and issued apologies is a good example of how to behave when you get called out for crimes/unethical behaviour. MSI Global takes the hit and promises to reprimand those responsible and make changes to prevent it happening in the future. Whether you believe MSI Global or not is another matter, but they're in the clear until they get caught repeating what they promised they wouldn't. MSI's regional subcompanies not involved in the shenanegans basically get a clean pass.

Thermaltake's transgressions are numerous and span almost all different business units. ThermalTake Global (Taipei) have been instrumental in doubling down on their shady behaviour instead of admitting fault. Every dollar spent on ANY Thermaltake product, whether from a good underlying business unit or not, is a financial vote of approval for that practice - further enabling more of the same shit we've come to expect from Thermaltake over the last two decades. More copying IPs, more threats and unethical lawsuits against those whose IP they stole in the first place, more refusing to compensate customers who have been on the receiving end of PSU/watercooling defects - and that's not even close to a full list, just some of the wider-scale highlights.

It's a shame that this keyboard is branded Thermaltake, but that's the reality. Money spent by consumers on this keyboard will, in one way or another, end up in the hands of the bad guys at the top of the Thermaltake food chain. If you're okay with sponsoring that, then fine - but I am painting all of Thermaltake with the same brush because that's the stance their company has chosen to take.

Last edited: