• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

JDS Labs Element II Desktop DAC/Amp

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
JDS Labs merits recognition for its value-oriented DACs and amplifiers in the desktop audio community. But did you know they also have a more premium Element line? Today, we examine the Element II, an integrated DAC/amp that aims to be a one-stop shop for performance, build quality, customization, and aesthetics alike.

Show full review

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I still swear by my Schiit Modi 3 DAC and Schiit Asgard 2 amp. Very good setup. Same price MSRP as this. Would be interesting to hear them side by side and compare. I'm pretty happy with my setup regardless.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I still swear by my Schiit Modi 3 DAC and Schiit Asgard 2 amp. Very good setup. Same price MSRP as this. Would be interesting to hear them side by side and compare. I'm pretty happy with my setup regardless.
Integrated DAC/Amps typically cost more for the convenience and the form factor, so it won't be a similar comparison here.

System Name Mixed Bag of OC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Maxsun MS-iCraft B550M WIFI
Cooling CPU+GPU on Water with 3 X 420 Rad´s
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper RGB @ 3800 Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XTX
Storage 2TB Kingston Fury + 2TB Samsung PCIe 4 NVME
Display(s) Philips 48OLED806
Case Selfmade Huuuuuge *Case* :)
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen DAC + Monoprice M1060C & Burmester Replica AMP + Selfmade Huuuuuge Speakers :)
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750
Mouse Kensington Slimblade (main device) + Razer Basilisk V3 (for FPS)
Keyboard Sharkoon PureWriter RGB, Kailh Blue switches
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores do not matter, my PC is fast :)
maybe the iFi Zen DAC should also be mentioned, its not even half the price and from other reviews and my own subjective experience its one of the best in the more "affordable" class of DAC´s.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
maybe the iFi Zen DAC should also be mentioned, its not even half the price and from other reviews an my own subjective experience its one of the best in the more "affordable" class of DAC´s.
I have no experience with iFi at this point, so I can't really say that it's equivalent or not unfortunately. I reached out to them but never heard back. Next up is the Atom+ stack from JDS Labs, and then a portable DAC/Amp from Shanling, another portable one from IKKO, and a desktop amplifier from Cambridge Audio to complete the current set.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have no experience with iFi at this point, so I can't really say that it's equivalent or not unfortunately. I reached out to them but never heard back. Next up is the Atom+ stack from JDS Labs, and then a portable DAC/Amp from Shanling, another portable one from IKKO, and a desktop amplifier from Cambridge Audio to complete the current set.

I'd love a Atom+ stack. Looking forward to that review. I have heard several ifi products, I think they are overrated. I heard the original Atom stack once and really enjoyed it. Atom+ is only better I assume.

Plenty of power to drive headphones or even some desktop speakers
While maybe possible I doubt it has much power and not great for the amp so this would be highly impractical.

Also how do you even physically wire such a configuration?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
While maybe possible I doubt it has much power and not great for the amp so this would be highly impractical.

Also how do you even physically wire such a configuration?
I was thinking more about the bog standard 2.0 speaker sets when discussing what can run off this, just get a speaker wire to RCA adapter or hardwire to RCA input.

I was thinking more about the bog standard 2.0 speaker sets when discussing what can run off this, just get a speaker wire to RCA adapter or hardwire to RCA input.
Using the pre-outs? Thats not amplified and not at all what they are meant for. They would have be puniest speakers on the planet to make any meanful sound from the power coming out pre-outs.

Also, what is "bog standard 2.0"? Focal Aria 906 are standard 2.0 speakers but cost $2,000 and should have 50-150 watts powering them.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
1633130039464.png

Hmmm Designed and manufactured in USA (minus the power adapter), well that explains the price at least