• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Keyboard 6: MOMOKA Switches/Keycaps + Epomaker Skyloong GK87 Kit

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It's autumn in the Northern hemisphere, so get cozy and start building a custom keyboard with me! Today, we go through two different switches and two different keycap sets from the Japanese upstart MOMOKA, and pair it with a TKL kit from Epomaker/Skyloong.

Show full review

System Name The Sparing-No-Expense Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
Memory 32GB: 2x16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3600MHz C18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti Founder's Edition
Storage 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) AOC C24G1 144Hz 24" 1080p Monitor
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Power Supply Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU (SS-650KM3)
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
Obviously a premium product. I, for one, wouldn't spend $150 on a keyboard.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The good thing these days is you don't have to, many of these items come pre-packaged together for lower than the combined cost of the individual items.

System Name XPS-9700
Processor Intel Core i9-10885H
Motherboard Dell 03CPGC
Memory 64GB (2x32GB) Hynix DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q Design 6GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 2TB SSD
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
I very much enjoyed the article, thank you for providing such detailed information, found it very educational.

Reactions: VSG
From the photos the switch legs seem a bit thinner than regular Kailh or Gateron switches. Could anyone confirm if they would fit in Outemu sockets without modification?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
From the photos the switch legs seem a bit thinner than regular Kailh or Gateron switches. Could anyone confirm if they would fit in Outemu sockets without modification?
I have never used Outemu sockets, but yes these are slightly thinner than the Kailh switches at least.

I have never used Outemu sockets, but yes these are slightly thinner than the Kailh switches at least.
Redragon uses those and you did review them... But, no matter, could you confirm that the legs are at least similar to Akko switches? I know those fit in Outemu sockets.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Redragon uses those and you did review them... But, no matter, could you confirm that the legs are at least similar to Akko switches? I know those fit in Outemu sockets.
Yes, but also I had no way of knowing those are Outemu sockets. I'll check the legs next time I get a chance and update this post.

Yes, but also I had no way of knowing those are Outemu sockets. I'll check the legs next time I get a chance and update this post.
To be fair, there isn't really any branding on those and they're nothing like Gateron, Kailh or TTC sockets. They're called Outemu sockets because that's what you find on hot-swappable keyboards with Outemu switches.

Reactions: VSG

Waifu Hunter 2.0

Duuuude. If you think this is expensive for a keeb, you'll be absolutely floored by the upper level.
$150, is scrapping the bottom in most DIY Keeb circles, lower than that, more than obvious.