• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XGIMI Aura Ultra Short Throw 4K Laser Projector

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
XGIMI set an impressive stage on TechPowerUp with its portable projector lineup before going the high-performance route with 4K home projectors. Today, we examine its first ultra short throw 4K projector. The Aura is rated for a whopping 2400 ANSI lumens and can project a 100" display at just 8" away!

Show full review

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Fantastic review VSG, I appreciate it.

As for the device, it is kind of underwhelming for its price. Maybe I expect too much for that price and for a projector, but the 20ms input lag is kinda off-putting for me. But it is step in right direction in terms of projectors and what I like but still not quite there yet. Picture quality looks good. Android TV is a nice plus. But I just cannot see it being worth $2500 USD which is $3100 CAD which is far too much I am willing to pay for a display.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Fantastic review VSG, I appreciate it.

As for the device, it is kind of underwhelming for its price. Maybe I expect too much for that price and for a projector, but the 20ms input lag is kinda off-putting for me. But it is step in right direction in terms of projectors and what I like but still not quite there yet. Picture quality looks good. Android TV is a nice plus. But I just cannot see it being worth $2500 USD which is $3100 CAD which is far too much I am willing to pay for a display.
You buy UST projectors for a very specific goal- large displays in a small footprint. I think as the tech matures then we will see it get more competitive with much smaller OLEDs, which do have a similar weakness right now of working best in lower lit areas.

In the review you state that it is not a true 4k projector. Out of curiosity, what was the highest resolution line pattern the device was able to resolve?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
In the review you state that it is not a true 4k projector. Out of curiosity, what was the highest resolution line pattern the device was able to resolve?
Should be 1080p based on that DLP implementation, unless I am missing something? The display output comes out as 4K so I am not sure how to test what you were asking.

Should be 1080p based on that DLP implementation, unless I am missing something? The display output comes out as 4K so I am not sure how to test what you were asking.
The DLP sensor shift (or however the 2k->4k supersampling is done) can vary in quality, so a macro photo of a line pattern vs. a ’true’ 4k display device would illustrate the difference in sharpness.

so it’s not actually 4k? Is it 1080p with 4x oscillation or 2kx2?

i know you mentioned a full time projector guy was joining which is good because this review is missing many of the performance and IQ measurements we need to make a choice.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
so it’s not actually 4k? Is it 1080p with 4x oscillation or 2kx2?

i know you mentioned a full time projector guy was joining which is good because this review is missing many of the performance and IQ measurements we need to make a choice.
1080p with 4x sampling from what I know, and the guy covering projectors isn't new but feel free to mention to @Darksaber what you would like to see in future such reviews.

Thanks man. Was a pleasure to read, as always. And actually quite tempting. Even with the costs *sigh*

• Haha