• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIFIMAN Arya (2021 Stealth Magnets) + Apos Flow Cable

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The HIFIMAN Arya gets a stealth magnet revision, which makes this premium set of headphones more efficient to drive off amplifiers. We examine its tuning and technical performance, gauge its synergy with different music genres, and pair it with the Apos Flow replacement cable.

Show full review

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@VSG What are your thoughts on HIFIMAN Ananda? That is my favorite headphone of all time, but at the time I reviewed it over on Head-Fi it cost $999, so was a no go for me. I mailed it on to the next reviewer in line with much sadness.

I like Ananda better than Arya and Jade II e-stat. Doesn't make sense considering those two are much more expensive, I also liked Ananda better than Sundara. Problem with Ananda was the head band, my head is an odd shape, so it simply wouldn't fit my head comfortably even on the lowest setting. Guess I must have been dropped on my head as a baby, who knows

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@VSG What are your thoughts on HIFIMAN Ananda? That is my favorite headphone of all time, but at the time I reviewed it over on Head-Fi it cost $999, so was a no go for me. I mailed it on to the next reviewer in line with much sadness.

I like Ananda better than Arya and Jade II e-stat. Doesn't make sense considering those two are much more expensive, I also liked Ananda better than Sundara. Problem with Ananda was the head band, my head is an odd shape, so it simply wouldn't fit my head comfortably even on the lowest setting. Guess I must have been dropped on my head as a baby, who knows
I have never heard the Ananda, or really most of the HIFIMAN headphones, so I can't really speak much about it unfortunately. I have here the HE400se and the HE1000se in various stages of review, it was Frederik who checked out the other headphones from the company.

System Name All Switched Up
Processor Intel Core i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi w/ EK monoblock
Cooling Custom EK Watercooling loop - 2x 360 | 1x 240 Rads
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra w/ EK Quantum Vector Waterblock + Active Backplate
Storage 1x Samsung 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - 2x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD - 1x Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
Display(s) Viewsonix XG270QG Elite 1440p x2
Case Lian Li O11Dynamic XL - White
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen CAN/DAC | Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC | Sennheiser HD 6XX | HiFiMan HE-5XX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 Platinum
Mouse Glorious Model O Wireless | Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro w/ Holy Panda's
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores yes
I have the Drop HIFIMAN HE-5XX and the Sundara.. Both are VERY nice headphones imo.. I have considered stepping up to the Ananda.. all the headphone reviewers usually have pretty high praise for the Ananda, and these days they can be picked up for ~$700 or thereabouts.

About those Apos cables.. Never used those, but I do have quite a few cables from Hart Audio. Excellent quality cables that are fairly priced..

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I have the Drop HIFIMAN HE-5XX and the Sundara.. Both are VERY nice headphones imo.. I have considered stepping up to the Ananda.. all the headphone reviewers usually have pretty high praise for the Ananda, and these days they can be picked up for ~$700 or thereabouts.

About those Apos cables.. Never used those, but I do have quite a few cables from Hart Audio. Excellent quality cables that are fairly priced..
Yeah, I've heard good things about Hart cables also. As for the Ananda, I'll also mention that the recently released Edition XS is getting rave reviews and compared favorably with the Ananda while costing far less. It isn't available internationally yet though, at least from authorized dealers.

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30 360Hz
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) Razer Blackshark v2 Hyperspeed / Bowers & Wilkins Px7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2 / Fedora w. KDE
$460

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
$460
It's not an authorized dealer either, so I can't recommend purchasing this knowing there's no support coming from HIFIMAN.

I just replaced the same headband on my HE-400i, your zoomed in shot perfectly shows the wear point and I appreciate that you bring it up.

it is still one of the most open sets in that regard, just not necessarily for gaming, if you are weird like me and try it out with these

Which parts of the Arya 2021 design do not lend well to gaming, in particular, positional audio? Do the elongated cups disturb the soundstage for 3D positioning? The circular cups with my 400i seem to handle it well.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I just replaced the same headband on my HE-400i, your zoomed in shot perfectly shows the wear point and I appreciate that you bring it up.

Which parts of the Arya 2021 design do not lend well to gaming, in particular, positional audio? Do the elongated cups disturb the soundstage for 3D positioning? The circular cups with my 400i seem to handle it well.
As mentioned in the review, the imaging field is more centered in front of you. As such, sounds coming from the sides are harder to pin-point in 3D space. The cups themselves aren't as big a deal provided you don't break the seal.

FYI for your HE-400i. I recommend using a stand that suspends the headphones with the steel headband itself and not the support band to minimize the same issue happening again.

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30 360Hz
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) Razer Blackshark v2 Hyperspeed / Bowers & Wilkins Px7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition