• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Keyboard 9: MARVODIY Re-defined 68 kit, "Oz" PBT Keycaps, Gazzew Boba Switches

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
If you have no idea what a Boba switch is or how a Bobagum differs from a Boba U4T, then you are in the right place! Join me as we go about building more keyboards using a combination of four different Gazzew switches, a new 65% kit from MARVODIY, and a plant-themed PBT keycap set.

Show full review

2022 and apart from Logitech (Bolt) nobody gives a carp about security, still. And it's not like the BOM will increase with $50 if you put a decent BT chip or something.

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Got some 68g Boba U4 switches in a KBD67 R3 and they're fantastic for more quiet typing.

And I agree with the previous poster, a lot of these keyboard DIY kits skimp quite hard on MCUs, which is quite disappointing.

System Name PATATAS-3XTR3M3
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 240MP
Memory 32gb (16x2) G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080 Ti UV:850@1850
Storage Boot Drive: ADATA XPG SX6000 256gb, Storage Drive: 1TB Samsung 980 x2
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Audio Device(s) Samson SR850 connected to a Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Akko MOD006, Durock POMS
Currently daily-ing Boba u4t's on my Gmmk Pro and I love the tactility these switches give. Thouigh I got the 68g version and it gets tiring after a bit. Had to swap them out to some Feker 67g two-stage springs and remove all lube and now they're tactile af.

And I agree with the previous poster, a lot of these keyboard DIY kits skimp quite hard on MCUs, which is quite disappointing.
Yea that's my gripe with budget boards too and Akko's Current line up of MOD boards. QMK/VIA has spoiled me and these "budget enthausiast" grade boards are just downright disappointing seeing that you can't program them the way you want them.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Got some 68g Boba U4 switches in a KBD67 R3 and they're fantastic for more quiet typing.

Currently daily-ing Boba u4t's on my Gmmk Pro and I love the tactility these switches give. Thouigh I got the 68g version and it gets tiring after a bit. Had to swap them out to some Feker 67g two-stage springs and remove all lube and now they're tactile af.

Yea that's my gripe with budget boards too and Akko's Current line up of MOD boards. QMK/VIA has spoiled me and these "budget enthausiast" grade boards are just downright disappointing seeing that you can't program them the way you want them.
Yeah the tactility on the U4/U4T switches is something else!

I am okay with these boards that usually also have a Bluetooth option (Skyloong, Ajazz etc) and even Akko's finally getting on board. The Akko MOD series could have done more, but I get the first-gen product being so. I have two of those here waiting for a similar article as well.