• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ducky One 3 SF Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Ducky introduces QUACK mechanics with its new One 3 series of mechanical keyboards! Today, we review the 65% form factor One 3 SF, which comes in various color schemes and switch options, and adds several useful improvements and new features over the previous generation to make for an attractive package at a reasonable price.

Show full review

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
I wish more of these kinds of keyboards came with wrist wrests...

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Foam wrist rests can be had for $5 from the likes of eBay these days, so it's not a deal breaker in my opinion.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500

I got myself the Wooting Wrist Rest TKL. It's made out of silicone, super comfy & ultra durable.
It's kinda expensive, but it will last to the grave. Best purchase ever. :peace:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I got myself the Wooting Wrist Rest TKL. It's made out of silicone, super comfy & ultra durable.
It's kinda expensive, but it will last to the grave. Best purchase ever. :peace:

It's a bit too large for this 65% keyboard, but I agree that it's a fantastic wrist rest. I have it here to go with an upcoming Wooting keyboard review itself, it's been pending for a while now.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
This color option on this keyboard is gorgeous!

Reactions: VSG
System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
It's a bit too large for this 65% keyboard, but I agree that it's a fantastic wrist rest. I have it here to go with an upcoming Wooting keyboard review itself, it's been pending for a while now.

Upcomming keyboard review? Are you talking about the Wooting 60HE with the new Lekker (magnetic) switches? Super interrested to see how they perform IRL.

Have been following their channel for a while and it's just great how much insight they give into development & production. Awesome guys.

Processor Ryzen R7 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Pro WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory 32 GB LPX DDR4-3200-RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 4080 FE 16 GB
Storage 2 TB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe SSD
Display(s) EIZO ColorEdge CG2700X
Case FormD T1 V2 SW
Audio Device(s) Naim Mu-so QB2
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech MX Vertical
Keyboard Mode 65, Mode Sonnet, ZSA Moonlander
Software Windows 10
I'v owned and used a Ducky One 2SF for more than two years. Generally I'm very happy with this keyboard, its quality and feature set. I only use it for gaming these days since I recently built a Mode 65 used primarily for typing. The main advantages of the One 2SF in my eyes are the phenomenal backlighting, the relatively flat front side for a mechanical keyboard and the high-quality translucent keycaps. I'm wondering why Ducky hasn't kept those features on the One 3SF as I assume the LEDs on the One 3SF are less bright than on the predecessor. Is that correct? The review is somewhat unspecific on this feature as well as on the height of the case's front side as far as I can see, yet these are important aspects a lot of users potentially would want to know more about. Otherwise, there is a lot to like about the One 3SF in my eyes.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Upcomming keyboard review? Are you talking about the Wooting 60HE with the new Lekker (magnetic) switches? Super interrested to see how they perform IRL.

Have been following their channel for a while and it's just great how much insight they give into development & production. Awesome guys.
Wooting two HE with the new Lekker switches, and yes they are quite good with the community outreach.

I'v owned and used a Ducky One 2SF for more than two years. Generally I'm very happy with this keyboard, its quality and feature set. I only use it for gaming these days since I recently built a Mode 65 used primarily for typing. The main advantages of the One 2SF in my eyes are the phenomenal backlighting, the relatively flat front side for a mechanical keyboard and the high-quality translucent keycaps. I'm wondering why Ducky hasn't kept those features on the One 3SF as I assume the LEDs on the One 3SF are less bright than on the predecessor. Is that correct? The review is somewhat unspecific on this feature as well as on the height of the case's front side as far as I can see, yet these are important aspects a lot of users potentially would want to know more about. Otherwise, there is a lot to like about the One 3SF in my eyes.

Ducky has moved away from keycaps that are backlighting compatible even with the One 2 series, or at least the Mecha SF special editions (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ducky-mecha-sf-radiant-emerald/). I had asked them about it, and Ducky said it was a design choice on purpose which would be their way going forward. As it turns out, it was the case with the new One 3 series as well, and I mentioned that multiple times in the review already. Nothing to do with the actual LEDs, they are the same SMD5050 RGB LEDs everyone uses.

What about the height do you want to know? It's tall enough to be a potential issue for comfortable typing without a wrist rest, but ideally you would practice typing with hands hovering above the keys.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Not really diggin' Ducky's color options for the One 3 series.

Processor Ryzen R7 5700X
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Case FormD T1 V2 SW
Software Windows 10
What about the height do you want to know? It's tall enough to be a potential issue for comfortable typing without a wrist rest, but ideally you would practice typing with hands hovering above the keys.
Thanks for answering so quickly and informing about Ducky's design decision to walk away from translucent keycaps. I would be interested in a height comparison between the One 2F and One 3SF pertaining to the actual height of where your finger tips meet the top face of the keycaps on the front row. For me the One 2SF is just flat enough to be used without a wrist rest. I hate wrist rests... Greetings!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks for answering so quickly and informing about Ducky's design decision to walk away from translucent keycaps. I would be interested in a height comparison between the One 2F and One 3SF pertaining to the actual height of where your finger tips meet the top face of the keycaps on the front row. For me the One 2SF is just flat enough to be used without a wrist rest. I hate wrist rests... Greetings!
The One 3 SF is ~3-4 mm shorter from a quick estimation done, here's a better look at both (slightly different framing and angle, so keep that in mind):
1645002398368.png
1645002480457.png

If the One 2 SF was okay for you, this should be too.

Processor Ryzen R7 5700X
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Case FormD T1 V2 SW
Software Windows 10
Thanks again @VSG! Do you know how the One 2SF and One 3SF compare in terns of height in row 4 where the space bar is located?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks again @VSG! Do you know how the One 2SF and One 3SF compare in terns of height in row 4 where the space bar is located?
It's the same keycap profile, so no different from the case itself. I don't have the One 2 SF here anymore so I can't do a direct comparison.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
would be interesting to see some sort of latency testing - even if subjective reaction time. A bunch of the hot swappable PCBs are noticeably slower than generic gaming keyboards even with optical switches...

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
would be interesting to see some sort of latency testing - even if subjective reaction time. A bunch of the hot swappable PCBs are noticeably slower than generic gaming keyboards even with optical switches...

That's more down to the slow MCUs a lot of hotswap boards use.
Ducky didn't really seem to cheap out on the MCU and according to rtings' latency tests it should be 4.5ms based on the full size One 3: https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/reviews/ducky/one-3