• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS ROG Strix Flare II Animate Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
ASUS has upated its popular ROG Strix Flare keyboard with two new versions. The Strix Flare II Animate features first-party pre-lubed ROG switches and stabilizers, PBT doubleshot keycaps, a sound dampening foam sheet, hot-swappable switches, 8 kHz polling, extensive onboard controls, and a fascinating Anime Matrix display you absolutely need to see!

Show full review

The Anime Matrix was at least semi-usable on their laptop (as usable as annoying those who can't look away from it at any rate), but on much smaller real estate like the corner of a keyboard, a regular LED or LCD screen would have been much more preferable. I mean, they already shove one onto their Ryujin II AIO, and it barely works there, but it works nevertheless for simple animations.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Anime Matrix was at least semi-usable on their laptop (as usable as annoying those who can't look away from it at any rate), but on much smaller real estate like the corner of a keyboard, a regular LED or LCD screen would have been much more preferable. I mean, they already shove one onto their Ryujin II AIO, and it barely works there, but it works nevertheless for simple animations.
You are closer to the keyboard than the back of a laptop though, so at least it is more personal here than on those. It's large enough to be quite noticeable in person if the photos and videos didn't help confirm that.

You are closer to the keyboard than the back of a laptop though, so at least it is more personal here than on those. It's large enough to be quite noticeable in person if the photos and videos didn't help confirm that.
You're not wrong, but the point remains that it doesn't serve much use beyond an extra bit of personalization. At least on the back of a laptop some streamer using an Anime Matrix laptop could leave some meme or text or dancing image on it for the viewers to look at, while here, it's almost pointless and an LCD or LED screen would be better, harkening back to the early 2010s or even current, but niche keyboards that used a simple screen to show active layer modes or active bound hotkeys. ASUS could have just had the same features, but have it shift to a set gif/webm, temperature monitoring, mini-media player (showing what music service and song is playing), or scrolling text when idle. And by idle, I mean something user-set, like not using the numkeys that one normally would for gaming, or a timer that changes from displayed layer/hotkey to "wallpaper animation". Still adds that option for a tiny bit of personalization, but is more usable than the Anime Matrix.

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
how do people like these giant keyboards, since i got a TKL my quality of life has improved

omegalul 8khz polling rate for a mechanical keyboard :roll:

how do people like these giant keyboards, since i got a TKL my quality of life has improved

omegalul 8khz polling rate for a mechanical keyboard :roll:
I like them because I am what you might call a 'keyboard casual' and I fail to see the point of smaller keyboards for g4m3rz!! TKL, 60% and all that shit doesn't interest me one bit.

Apparently we're not allowed to enjoy full keyboards anymore because Gen Z says so. Now excuse me as I continue to enjoy my original ROG Strix Flare. I'm used to introducing numbers on the numpad.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I like them because I am what you might call a 'keyboard casual' and I fail to see the point of smaller keyboards for g4m3rz!! TKL, 60% and all that shit doesn't interest me one bit.

Apparently we're not allowed to enjoy full keyboards anymore because Gen Z says so. Now excuse me as I continue to enjoy my original ROG Strix Flare. I'm used to introducing numbers on the numpad.
I use a full-size keyboard at work too, don't let anyone get you down. The good thing is there are options now to suit everyone's needs these days :)