• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HIFIMAN Edition XS Planar Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
HIFIMAN continues its technology trickle-down with the all-new Edition XS. It is the least expensive teardrop-shaped open-back, over-ear set from the company and features stealth magnets as well as a much thinner, more responsive diaphragm than its predecessor to make for excellent headphones at a reasonable price.

Show full review

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
This model is that one that I've been eyeing off as my next set, I current have Oppo PM3 and Phillips X2HR. I love the planar clarity and detail, and the soundstage of the open backs. These seem to meet and exceed the strengths of both.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This model is that one that I've been eyeing off as my next set, I current have Oppo MP3 and Phillips XH2R. I love the planar clarity and detail, and the soundstage of the open backs. These seem to meet and exceed the strengths of both.
I have the Philips Fidelio X2HR here, and it is arguably more comfortable while feeling better built too. The tuning is quite different from the Edition XS as well. So as long as you are aware of these, the Edition XS will be a significant upgrade in pure sound reproduction and further customization.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I have the Philips Fidelio X2HR here, and it is arguably more comfortable while feeling better built too. The tuning is quite different from the Edition XS as well. So as long as you are aware of these, the Edition XS will be a significant upgrade in pure sound reproduction and further customization.
Indeed the Fidelio are very comfortable and high quality, I do find aspects of them quite muted, and from what I gather these Edition XS is more the sound in looking for.

Great review and great advice!

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Indeed the Fidelio are very comfortable and high quality, I do find aspects of them quite muted, and from what I gather these Edition XS is more the sound in looking for.

Great review and great advice!
Glad to have helped, these go on sale from time to time so keep an eye out for a price closer to $450 or under if you are not in a rush.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Man, Fidelio's have great build quality and comfort, considering they are being sold now for €120 or something like that? I bought my X2's when they were in €250 range and they held up great. Multiple drops on the floor from waist high, nothing damaged. Large amount of metal, real leather headband, the only use of pleather was on the headband cushion (which started flaking after few years, but was easy to remove). Here you pay what? $499 for pleather band that will look terrible after 3 years or so and there's plenty of plastic everywhere? Sure, it might sound great but build quality should not be compromised with that price tag.

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
For 500 bucks the frequency response should be flat not U shaped. "There were multiple instances where I noticed some sibilance, but it was mostly the Edition XS exaggerating sibilance in the recording than it wholly contributing to it". Build quality is another no go. I would take my Grado set over these.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
For 500 bucks the frequency response should be flat not U shaped. "There were multiple instances where I noticed some sibilance, but it was mostly the Edition XS exaggerating sibilance in the recording than it wholly contributing to it". Build quality is another no go. I would take my Grado set over these.
Flat frequency response is not a good tuning btw, at least if you are referring to raw measurements. You need to have some variation and pinna gain at least.

Flat frequency response is not a good tuning btw, at least if you are referring to raw measurements. You need to have some variation and pinna gain at least.

I think this depends on what you are going for. I have a dozen or so IEMs but the two I keep coming back to are the Moondrop Blessing 2 (not flat) and the Etymotic ER4 SE (flat). They both have their ups and downs.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I think this depends on what you are going for. I have a dozen or so IEMs but the two I keep coming back to are the Moondrop Blessing 2 (not flat) and the Etymotic ER4 SE (flat). They both have their ups and downs.
I assume you meant the ER4SR? Either way, all Etymotics have pinna gain anyway and the expected drop in the treble frequencies. I think we are talking about different things (flat bass vs flat entire frequency response).